Pipelight for Debian? Thoughts?

Questions about software.
  • Author

lizbeth

Pipelight for Debian? Thoughts?

Post23 Oct 2013 20:51

Code: Select all
http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.html#section_1_3
Rebellion Against Tyranny is Obedience To GOD!

zerozero

Re: Pipelight for Debian? Thoughts?

Post23 Oct 2013 22:11

reading that page makes me think that the installation in SolydXK might be actually pretty easy
1- we are already multiarch (so skipping step 1.)
2- contrib (and non-free) are part of the standard SolydXK repos (skipping step 3.)
3- the libjack0:i386 is solvable with (we have to install both packages otherwise it won't work)
Code: Select all
zerozero@home ~ $ sudo apt-get install libjack0 libjack0:i386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  dragonplayer ia32-libs-gtk-i386:i386 juk kdeplasma-addons libappconfig-perl libevent-2.0-5 libkdecorations4abi1 libsamplerate0:i386
  libspeexdsp1:i386 libusb-0.1-4:i386 plasma-containments-addons plasma-desktopthemes-artwork plasma-runners-addons
  plasma-wallpapers-addons sweeper
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
Suggested packages:
  jackd1 jackd1:i386
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libjack-jackd2-0
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libjack0 libjack0:i386
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 113 kB of archives.
After this operation, 344 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

4- libopus0 (an issue mentioned also there) is already multiarch in SolydXK

i don't have use for this software but this method (theoretically) looks like a very easy and straightforward approach.

bliss of ignorance

lizbeth

Post23 Oct 2013 22:20

Sweet!

zerozero

Post23 Oct 2013 22:45

:lol: and something tells you gonna do it :mrgreen:

bliss of ignorance

lizbeth

Post26 Oct 2013 01:43

Haven't tested it yet but it is installed..

fkef

Post05 Nov 2013 19:30

Have installed Pipelight and it seems to be working just fine. Some of the steps for Jessie in the official guide can be skipped.

http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-instal ... ection_1_3

I just did these steps

1. Import the key of the repository
2. Add the repository
3. sudo apt-get update
4. sudo apt-get install libjack0:i386 (needed on SolydK 64-bit)
5. sudo apt-get install pipelight or pipelight-multi
6. Install a user agent switcher

(I noticed in the prompt that there were some java package or something that needed to be removed, for pipelight to be installed)

GeorgeCh

Post08 Nov 2013 08:16

Hello

I installed Pipelight but i encountered some issues.It requested to remove some packages.
Audacity,Pidgin and Clementine were removed and a number of libraries because,i think, newer versions of the libraries were available. I reinstalled the programs and all work fine except the Pulseaudio volume control which reports failure to connect to Pulseaudio.Since audio works ,with Alsa probably, i wonder if i should try to enable Pulseaudio again.
Pipelight works just fine.

ane champenois

Post08 Nov 2013 19:04

GeorgeCh wrote:Hello

... I reinstalled the programs and all work fine except the Pulseaudio volume control which reports failure to connect to Pulseaudio.Since audio works ,with Alsa probably, i wonder if i should try to enable Pulseaudio again.
Pipelight works just fine.

Hello GeorgeCh,
IMHO, about Pulseaudio: for me, on SolydX (I can't answer you for Kde I'm afraid) I can use sucessfully my laptop without pulseaudio. So it is possible it works like a charm for you too.
Please if you encounter a problem, post it here to warn others about a problem...and to be helped too. ;)

They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

stratacast1

Post24 Feb 2014 10:20

Hey folks! New here to Solyd! I just installed, and one of the things on my install list is to get pipelight running. I had the same issue in just pure Debian where there were broken dependancies from wine-compholio. Anyone else run into this issue?

fkef

Post24 Feb 2014 18:22

stratacast1 wrote: I had the same issue in just pure Debian where there were broken dependancies from wine-compholio. Anyone else run into this issue?

Yesterday, I updated the pipelight repo, to their new official Jesssie & sid repository.

Since then I get dependency error with libgphoto2-6:i386 is missing.

I was looking around a little bit, and found some bug report, and it seems to be caused by something to do with the package is compiled in Opensuse for Debian.

I will just wait to update wine-compholio, until they have it sorted.

http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-instal ... ection_1_3
https://bugs.launchpad.net/pipelight/+bug/1282113

stratacast1

Post24 Feb 2014 19:00

I will just wait to update wine-compholio, until they have it sorted.

Okay cool! I figured it must have been just a bug on their end, but I also wasn't sure if perhaps I had missed something. I managed to get it to work from the repos they list from stable. I know it's not a good idea to mix packages from stable into testing, but would it be bad to mix add the repo they mentioned listed for stable in my solyd install?

zerozero

Post24 Feb 2014 19:49

stratacast1 wrote:but would it be bad to mix add the repo they mentioned listed for stable in my solyd install?

Hi stratacast 8-) welcome to the SolydXK community.
i wouldn't be worried about that (at least about that bit); that stable there is is an attribute of their repo and has nothing to do with debian's releases; as you see they have one specific repo for jessie and another for sid.

the core problem here is that the opensuse build system (great as it is) only builds for the stable debian branch and that worked until now but testing and sid are now very much different from wheezy and issues start to show up.
luckily they responded with a solution swiftly.

bliss of ignorance

stratacast1

Post25 Feb 2014 23:06

zerozero wrote:
stratacast1 wrote:but would it be bad to mix add the repo they mentioned listed for stable in my solyd install?

Hi stratacast 8-) welcome to the SolydXK community.
i wouldn't be worried about that (at least about that bit); that stable there is is an attribute of their repo and has nothing to do with debian's releases; as you see they have one specific repo for jessie and another for sid.

the core problem here is that the opensuse build system (great as it is) only builds for the stable debian branch and that worked until now but testing and sid are now very much different from wheezy and issues start to show up.
luckily they responded with a solution swiftly.

Thanks zerozero! I must say so far I'm REALLY loving SolyX :) is there already a solution for testing or is it still in the process of being fixed?

zerozero

Post28 Feb 2014 00:07

stratacast1 wrote:is there already a solution for testing or is it still in the process of being fixed?

Hi, i must say that i don't fully understand this :( sorry!
can you elaborate on it, please?

bliss of ignorance

stratacast1

Post28 Feb 2014 07:47

zerozero wrote:
stratacast1 wrote:is there already a solution for testing or is it still in the process of being fixed?

Hi, i must say that i don't fully understand this :( sorry!
can you elaborate on it, please?

I didn't understand what you said at first. You said they responded with a solution swiftly. Does that mean that they fixed the dependancy issue in Debian Testing, or they came up with a solution, which is now currently broken in Debian Testing?

fkef

Post28 Feb 2014 11:31

According to the bugreport it is in progress.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/pipelight/+bug/1278196

Version 1.7.13 of wine-compholio from 22 Feb in their "new official" repo seems to be affected by broken dependencies. So I went back to the "old" repo again.

http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... ebian_7.0/ ./ There is version 1.7.12 and is installing in SolydK without issues

BlackoutWorm

Post05 Apr 2014 14:43

Any fix for this yet?
Because I had to do this the sid-repo way, which is not very noob-friendly.
So my suggestion to the solyd team is you either include the missing packages or include these repos and packages by default being that netflix support is pretty much an every guy's need.

ane champenois

Post16 May 2014 12:21

BlackoutWorm wrote:Any fix for this yet?
Because I had to do this the sid-repo way, which is not very noob-friendly.
So my suggestion to the solyd team is you either include the missing packages or include these repos and packages by default being that netflix support is pretty much an every guy's need.

Hello,
Sorry for this late answer.
Perhaps could this suggestion be posted by you in 'Suggestions ans ideas' here: http://forums.solydxk.com/viewforum.php?f=14 with a link to this subject.
Thanks in advance.

They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

rokytnji

Post16 May 2014 14:42

lizbeth

Post16 Jul 2014 20:13

Pipelight is a thing that probably you either get to work or not on your machine. I have had issue with having both pipelight and the linux flash install.

Linux flash is 11. Pipelight uses windows flash which i think is now 14 ish. In your browser settings, you need to disable flash 11 in order to not get flicker on your screen. Also if you install pepperflash from chrome to use in chromium, you will likely get interference as well.

One last not on using the pepperflash with chromium. I have noticed that pepperflash is often incompatible with amd graphic drivers and causes chromium to crash. This is a constant source of trouble for me with every version of linux i have ever used and ran pepperflash with.

SO in summmary, be sure to disable flash 11 and pepperflash in your browser settings before trying to use pipelight.

If you need help with how to access those settings in firefox or chrome/chromium please ask. Thanks.

Return to Software