Good distros to dual boot with

Questions about SolydXK: forum, project, distribution, etc..
RalphB

Good distros to dual boot with

Postby RalphB » 04 Oct 2013 04:27

I think that once again my machine will be windows free once more, I dont think it serves any purpose anymore on my machine.
But I still want to dual boot on my computer but I may just dual boot Linux and Linux.
But what distro?
This is a interesting question, SolydK will be my main as its going to be my workhorse distro.
But I may install something on the side as a companion just in case something happens to Solyd.
Here are some candidates:

Kubuntu: though its based on Ubuntu Kubuntu doesnt seem to be suffering the same kind of madness its parent is going through.
As a fan of KDE Kubuntu is a decent distro though it could be better such as the next distro.

Netrunner: Netrunner is another Ubuntu based distro, but it is actually how I think Kubuntu should be.
Not only is it a nicer distro, it has nice theming that sets it apart from its parent.
At first glance it looks like a windows 7 knockoff but thats its intended audience but thats a very superficial thing compared to the features they built into the distro.
Netrunner is a bit slower to update then its counterpart though, and with the Ubuntu life cycle being only 9 months it is a very odd thing to try and update.

Linux Mint: speaking of hard to update there is Linux mint.
Now heres the thing I like Linux mint.
For a ubuntu based distro it is really nice with its own nice ideas on hopw a linux desktop can be.
Its cinnamon fascinates me and I think it only can go up from here.
But I may go with the debian edition, though much slower to the updates then it should be Linux mint debian edition is still a nice alternative to its Ubuntu cousin.

Debian Jessie: Being a Debian fan ever since I started using linux I have touched debian pure quite a number of times.
I may go with Jessie as it would not be as unstable as sid.
I dont really want to use wheezy, while stable I still want some more current versions of software.

Other candidates include openSUSE, Fedora and maybe Mageia.

Fedora is probably the one I would go to most likely as i did like Fedora 19, it was actually the best experience I ever had with Fedora.
But I am open to suggestions, I know its a "use what you want" but I am open to ideas here.

mistergil

Re: Good distros to dual boot with

Postby mistergil » 04 Oct 2013 18:26

I found OS/4 to be very good although I only used the xfce version. Another Deb/Ubuntu clone with many apps and smooth updating. Perhaps you would like to have a look at it: http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=os4
Reg. #439601

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 04 Oct 2013 20:05

Seems more Ubuntu based, but its cool.
Though I have been avoiding ubuntu spins recently.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 04 Oct 2013 20:42

interesting topic :mrgreen:

if you want dual-boot, skip the "ubuntu" family and learn something in the process, this is my feedback (only kde distros)
- fedora: always gave me a very good experience, solid kde respin and if you want pure adventure point it to rawhide (it's where i always break my fedora installs, running rawhide)
- mageia: (again rpm, i started with rpm distros) is living up to the dream of carrying mandriva's lost heritage (and that is saying a lot)
- for an almost 100% kde/qt-only experience (almost a proof-of-concept): chakra
bliss of ignorance

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 04 Oct 2013 21:12

Well I already know my way around Fedora, after all before I started using Solyd I was using Fedora 19.
I have tried chakra too, its okay but they really need to have a proper gui installer for software :D
I dont like using commandline unless it is necessary.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 04 Oct 2013 23:27

RalphB wrote:its okay but they really need to have a proper gui installer for software :D
snapshot5.png
but you do need the commandline
bliss of ignorance

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 05 Oct 2013 01:24

Yeah to get octopi, I am aware of it.
But its not a default app and they are still working on its replacement.
Its bundle idea is good but its not really a good software manager.
Heck I rather have Ubuntu software center.

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 05 Oct 2013 15:45

Korora distrowatch page http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=korora

Based of Fedora, it is easier to use and install. Video on installation for the last version 18 still applies to 19.
http://vimeo.com/69508041
I don't like using command line unless it is necessary.

I want to force myself to become more comfortable with the command line, may try a slackware install. :D

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 05 Oct 2013 19:30

I tried Korora, but it failed to load on my system for some reason

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 11 Oct 2013 04:09

Okay the winner is Kubuntu 13.04
As it properly installed and recognized Solyd in the bootloader.
I will probably up it here soon as 13.10 is out next week

zebedeeboss

Postby zebedeeboss » 11 Oct 2013 04:56

Hi,

Bit late as you hav ealready chosen

Nice choice, I already multi boot to that

You may have wanted to look at Sabayon or Chakra neither are Debian or buntu's being Gentoo and Arch

I found them a lot trickier to live with and you have to be willing to "Learn" linux rather than just point n click :)

Still can't get my head wrapped round linux and its structures (maybe too lazy to apply myself)

I am sure you will enjoy the Kubuntu experience - Forums, like here are friendly and informative.
x64 Desktop - i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX 960 4Gb - 43" 4K 3840x2160
x64 Laptop - i5-4200U - 8Gb RAM - 15.6" HD 1920x108
SolydXK all the way - Linux User #565092

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 11 Oct 2013 05:36

I almost went with Sabayon but I need to make a boot partition for it, same with Chakra.
I could not get them to co operate with the boot loader, but whatever Kubuntu is decent enough these days.
I have worked with it before.

zebedeeboss

Postby zebedeeboss » 11 Oct 2013 16:53

RalphB wrote:I almost went with Sabayon but I need to make a boot partition for it, same with Chakra.
I could not get them to co operate with the boot loader, but whatever Kubuntu is decent enough these days.
I have worked with it before.
That's odd as I simply let them install and they always find my other OS's I am playing with. In fact Chakra a few versions ago had the best Grub implementation I had seen. From a complete newb perceptive.

and I keep calling myself newb as I really have no idea what its all about, I just know how to install set up the things I need and use it. All the magical work in the background... complications.... *shudders* I simply don't get it - lol

Zeb...
x64 Desktop - i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX 960 4Gb - 43" 4K 3840x2160
x64 Laptop - i5-4200U - 8Gb RAM - 15.6" HD 1920x108
SolydXK all the way - Linux User #565092

Return to “Non-technical”