Questions from Someone Thinking Of Switching

Questions about SolydXK: forum, project, distribution, etc..
Deleted User 2764

Questions from Someone Thinking Of Switching

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 06 Dec 2013 04:31

I'm a Linux Mint user. I installed Mint 14/Nadia back in January of 2013 (this year as I write this) and it's been amazing! I previously was running Windows 7 which came pre-installed on my laptop then I upgraded (more like downgraded :lol: ) to Windows 8. That did it for me. I tried Mint and loved it so I went 100% Linux in January. Never even thought of going back to Windows once! :mrgreen:

Anyway, I was talking to some folks in the Mint forum about something or another and someone comes in and says something like "pst - try SolydXK". Ok, what's that? Never heard of it! So I go look and find this site. Then I go get me a 64-bit ISO, wrote the image with the USB image writer that comes with Mint (noticed SolydK doesn't have that or did I miss it?) and off I go trying this out. WOW!!!

First off, bluetooth and my SD Card reader (built in RealTek hardware) both worked right out of the box! The trash can no longer gives an error when clicking on it but takes me to the Trash folder like it is supposed to. And I love the idea of a rolling release with KDE! Otherwise I'd have a lapse waiting for Mint 17 LTS or having to multiple wipe/reinstalls (I do have my /home on a separate partition). Still a PITA.

This alone is tipping me towards SolydK.

Now the questions:

1. How similar is plain Debian to Ubuntu? I work from home as a server admin for a web hosting company. I also develop web site projects for them. I like having a similar development environment that works similar to Ubuntu servers without having to run in a virtual machine.

2. As I mentioned, my /home is on it's own partition. So if I wipe out the Mint partition and install the SolydK, will the configs I have in my /home for KDE, GIMP, etc. grandfather over or could there be errors? I use KDE 4.11.1, GIMP 2.8.10, the latest Blender and also Google Chrome (not Chromium but actual Google Chrome for Linux). Those I added the repositories myself instead of relying on Mint's. Should I instead use SolydK's repositories for KDE and GIMP? I like keeping updated with the latest features though, especially for those two. Would my current configs work?

3. What other things should I be mindful of when going from Mint 14 to SolydK?

I'm really interested in this new distro. Especially if I don't have to keep downloading new ISOs and reinstalling every time a new version comes out.

Orbmiser

Re: Questions from Someone Thinking Of Switching

Postby Orbmiser » 06 Dec 2013 06:04

1. How similar is plain Debian to Ubuntu? I also develop web site projects for them. I like having a similar development environment that works similar to Ubuntu servers without having to run in a virtual machine.
Sorry someone more knowledgeable than me will have to chime in on servers and development on debian.
2. As I mentioned, my /home is on it's own partition. So if I wipe out the Mint partition and install the SolydK, will the configs I have in my /home for KDE, GIMP, etc. grandfather over or could there be errors? I use KDE 4.11.1, GIMP 2.8.10, the latest Blender and also Google Chrome (not Chromium but actual Google Chrome for Linux). Those I added the repositories myself instead of relying on Mint's. Should I instead use SolydK's repositories for KDE and GIMP? I like keeping updated with the latest features though, especially for those two. Would my current configs work?
Yes I was on Mint 15 KDE and had a separate /home. SolydK during the install just right-click my old / and it selects it and checks the format flag for you.

My /home I right-clicked and assigned it as /home and it selected my /home and did not select the format flag. Recognizing I had data there. Install went fine no issues.

When I booted up all my apps and configs for KDE where there. I did have to reinstall yaWP weather plasmoid and re-install Conky. But my conky script was there and it's autostart startup. Just needed the actual Conky program installed. Also had to adjust the themes for KDE and Firefox. But otherwise everything was there. And when I did the Monthly update pack it updated all my installed apps to fresher versions of my installed programs.

The Oct. 6th update pack brought my LiberOffice up to 4.1.1? KDE to 4.11.3 and Kernel to 3.10-4. Gimp to 2.8.6.
With Nov. update pack coming in next day or two. It will not do bleeding edge releases but more like a month or three older versions. Tho someone here can show you how to change the repo's to do bleeding edge if you wish.

Tho going bleeding edge is making a sacrifice in overall stability. As you can't have both 100% of the time. So I would seriously consider Why? Do I Need the Latest version? Is there a valid compelling reason or just wanting to be on the edge?

3. What other things should I be mindful of when going from Mint 14 to SolydK?
Not much else like I mentioned little in the way of fixing after installing. A couple of things to re-install and some theme selecting and changing back wallpaper.

SolydK KDE Dual Display Desktop Nov. 11th by Orbmiser, on Flickr

With the Monthly update packs have been thru 3 updates with Zero issues!
Much Happy So Far!
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 06 Dec 2013 10:08

Please, tell us about your development setup (LAMP configuration, IDE's, etc).
What packages are you using, and how are you using them?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 06 Dec 2013 15:49

Thank you both for the info.

WARNING: VERY LONG POST (sorry)

I have installed quite a few things from the repositories on top of the default apps installed. As requested here is a rundown (anything not from the default install/Mint Repositories I will mark in a different font color) :

Development Environment:

LAMP (Apache, MySQL, PHP/PHPMyAdmin): Apache is linked to /var/www/sites where I keep my sites in. Also Apahce is set to either a 192.168.x.x IP address or localhost (I think both actually but I been using localhost).
ProFTPd
Sendmail

Some scripts I use in /usr/local/bin (server admin/account admin scripts I use for testing stuff)
Android Emulators from Android SDK (JellyBean mostly)
Eclipse (for PHP, Perl, Python, HTML5/CSS3, Java, JavaScript, JQuery, Android development)
BlueFish Editor (Though I rarely use it since using Eclipse)
VirtualBox (I run Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04 servers as a VM for when I need to test stuff - those are LAMP servers linked to a 192.168.x.x IP and also have proFTPd, exim, sendmail, opensshd).
Stuff that came pre-installed that I use: Kate, Kdesvn, Kompare

Games:

(Arcade): SuperTux2, BurgerShop and BurgerShop2 (BigFish Games via PlayOnLinux/WINE), KBounce, DOSBox/DOSBox GUI (dbgl which is actually installed from a deb downloaded off the developer web site), Stella (along with some Atari games I legally purchased), LBreakout2

(Board Games): Monopoly (via PlayOnLinux), KMahJongg, Shisen-Sho (part of KMahJongg), Kiriki (Yahtzee game)

(Card Games): Carioca (via PlayOnLinux), gnome-hearts, PySol Fan Club Edition (I really have to have that! LOL! )

(Tactics & Strategy): Lyrica (actually it's a Chrome-based app link to the game site), KNetWalk, Sierra 3D Miniature Golf (via PlayOnLinux), Klickety, Same Game (I guess connected with Klickety somehow?)

DOSBox games are just some old DOS games and demos I've had for years that I run in DOSBox/dbgl.

Graphics:

Blender (freshest version: I just want to be sure I have the latest new functionality and bug fixes)
PhotoShop Elements 5 via PlayOnLinux (so I can use some .8bf Plugins I can't find GIMP replacements for)
ImageMagick
Kamoso (for recording videos via Built-in video camera - probably should be under Video but it installed in that category).
MyPaint (from the author's repository - a nice fine-art type painting program)
GIMP (I want to keep up with the latest features and functionality, bug fixes, etc.)
What came pre-installed: DigiKam (I don't really use), showFoto (don't really use), Gwenview (use a lot), KSnapshot (use a lot), LibreOffice Draw (don't really use), XSane Scanning Program (I like the one built into SolydK better!)

Internet:

Here I'll just list things that are installed, and some may already be pre-installed. The stuff I use most I'll mention. All other stuff I rarely to never use.

Akregator
KNemo
KTorrent (it's how I got the Multi-DVD of SolydXK but I don't normally do torrents)
KMail (when testing development projects that need to use email features)
KTnef
Internet Explorer 8 via Play On Linux (only rarely if I need it for development testing)
BlueDevil (use that a lot for transfers to/from cell phone or tablet)
Iced Tea Java (Part of Firefox/Chrome I think)
KNetAttach
FileZilla FTP (I use this a lot to update web sites and for work)
Google Chrome (not Chromium) (At the moment this is my main browser but that can change.)
Import Wizard
PuTTY ssh client (I need this for work)
Skype (I really don't use this much - I use it on my phone instead).
Firefox (right now only for development testing on rare occasion and for watching Amazon Streaming Video as those don't work in Google Chrome).
Quassel IRC (never use IRC!)

MultiMedia:

Kaffiene (The only way I can play Redbox Videos)
Simple Screen Recorder (Sometimes needed for instructional videos, etc.)
Audio Tag Viewer/Editor (rarely to never use - I usually do this in Amarok)
AMZ Downloader (what's that?)
Linux MultiMedia Studio along with Ardour, Qsynth, QjackCtl, and scripts for making it all work with Pulse Audio. (I like to mess around with making music sometimes - also I use an MAudio Keystation 32 USB Midi keyboard).
Amarok (I *need* this! LOL!)
Audacity (Again, very much needed. Also use LAME MP3 but rarely as I prefer ogg.)
Gnome MPlayer (don't know why that was installed or how - might have been trying to find something to play RedBox Videos)
Acoustica BeatCraft via PlayOnLinux (drum sequencer)
Acoustica Mixcraft via PlayOnLinux (DAW) (I have some old projects I didn't have time to convert to LMMS yet).
WinFF video converter
OpenShot Video Editor
PolyPhone Sound Font Editor (for editing/creating sounds for QSynth, VSTi Plugins, etc.)
VLC Media Player (still love it for playing other home videos I've recorded).
KMix (always need that! LOL!)
Pandora Internet Radio (actually a Google Chrome app link to the site - makes it look like a stand-alone app).

Office:

LibreOffice (I use that all the time)
Calendar (never use - I use Google Calendar)
Adobe Reader 9 (some things I need this in order to view it - I hate okular!)
pdfsam I use this a lot to convert and split pdfs. I also made a script that uses gs (ghostscript) to compress them further if needed).
KCalc (Calculator)

Other Utilities Installed:

HpLip (Needed to set up the CUPS printer drivers via the CUPS web interface it seems. I don't think I'll need it in SolydK.)
Krusader file manager (I was trying it but found I really don't use it much - I prefer Dolphin as it's less cluttered).
USB Image Writer (It was pre-installed and I found it comes in handy)
OpenDrive (Cloud Storage I subscribe to - actually this is a Google Chrome app link to the site but I also use the webdav for accessing the cloud storage as well).
GtkHash (didn't find a KDE verson - this is how I check MD5 sums)
J7Z (this I found is the only way to make password protected zip files? It has a Dolphin extension for that. Very handy!)
KRename (really comes in handy when I'm working with large groups of photos, etc.)
K3b (pre-installed and I use that from time to time).
Touchpad on/Touchpad off (see http://cgi.bytebin.net/linux/hardware/touchpad.php - it's linked to scripts I use to turn the touchpad off or on. I have KDE startup set to turn the touchpad off. More info in my link).
WINE (with WineTricks) and PlayOnLinux as I still have some Windows programs I really hate to part with. :oops:

perl extensions and other libraries are often installed via apt-get. Sorry I have that info on a doc somewhere I'm too lazy to dig up right now. I expect I'll have to reinstall those. I know one is the PyGame library as I was going to learn that.

Ok, there you have it, going from my menu. My scripts to reduce pdfs, start up jackd with Pulse compatibility, and some stuff for developing with the NXT Mindstorms Robot Kit (2.0 version) are in my ~/sys/bin directory (which I make a symlink of ~/bin to it). In ~/sys/opt are other things like DOSBox and Google Chrome App extensions. So that stuff I think would grandfather over pretty well as they are in the my user directory in /home.

As you can tell, I install quite a lot of stuff other than what is pre-installed. I do remove some stuff I don't use but other stuff I keep around just in case. I also like to do some multi-media and graphics work from time to time and have a lot of development tools I like to use.

Sorry this is so long but well.. you asked. :twisted:

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 06 Dec 2013 15:59

Okay I limited myself to the development section of your post, and saw only one uncertainty: "Android Emulators from Android SDK (JellyBean mostly)".
I haven't been using those, but perhaps there's somebody here who knows if it's supported on Debian.

SolydXK needs you!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 06 Dec 2013 16:43

Well, I look at it this way:

Mint is Ubuntu based and Ubuntu is Debian Based so I would think if it works in Mint wouldn't it work in SolydK? That is kinda my question.

I am looking (finally) at my Linux Mint Setup Manual that I wrote for myself (it's a little manual on some extras I need to do after installation to install and configure things I want to use).

First off, I have a 64-bit machine, so I have to do this to use the Android SDK (I also use the ADT plugins in Eclipse):

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
On the SDK site (http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html) I use the Use Existing IDE link and get the .tgz file. Then I extract it into a directory I make and run the ./android tool. That is a GUI interface that lets you download and install the different emulators. It's not a .deb package or anything. It's a binary program.

Can one install programs in the Live CD/USB? I have the system on a 8GB USB stick right now. I noticed the Device Driver Manager (DDM) doesn't work on the live USB (it gives a pop up saying that) so I don't know if one can install programs either or I'd try to see if it would install an emulator.

I guess this is some things I could try, but if it won't install in a live environment, I'd like to know what I could do to get it installed if I make SolydK permanent on my system.

Off-topic note: I just downloaded the Multi-DVD pack from torrent last night. :) I may try XFCE as well on my 32-bit laptop. I'll have to see how it goes with my 64-bit 'everyday use' laptop. The 32-bit one is set up almost the same way but is used as a backup computer if the main one should ever be inoperable for any reason.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 06 Dec 2013 17:12

You can always try to configure your system in Virtualbox before switching your system, or perhaps a dual boot.
That's the safest you can do right now.

SolydXK needs you!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 06 Dec 2013 17:22

I remember when I was trying Mint I was using VirtualBox in Windows 8. That gave me enough information (despite problems with USB hardware not always recognized) to switch. The printer thing I won't know unless I install raw though. I don't know how to do a dual-boot in a linux system, really. I never fuss with Dual-boot. I probably will give it a go in VirtualBox. That's a good idea.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 06 Dec 2013 17:54

Good luck, and please, share all your findings!

SolydXK needs you!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 06 Dec 2013 19:22

Thanks, will do! :) I think I'll go through the same procedures and tests (basically) that I did when I was test-driving Linux Mint. Then I am sure I'll know for sure what will and won't work.

I'll share here my journey.

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 07 Dec 2013 15:49

pst I bet you are glad you found it!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 07 Dec 2013 15:54

Thanks for the pst! 8-)

Return to “Non-technical”