Just something to think about

Questions about SolydXK: forum, project, distribution, etc..
wisemagic

Just something to think about

Postby wisemagic » 19 Jan 2014 20:04

I'm sure everyone has heard or read about the problems in the United States with the NSA. I am a political activist in the United States and I, along with the Libertarian Party condemn the actions of our tyrannical government. We are governed, in what I can only describe as a two party dictatorship.

This is an article by Free Software Foundation President Richard Stallman.

Richard Stallman calls Ubuntu “spyware” because it tracks searches
Canonical plans to expand controversial search mechanism in Ubuntu 13.04.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... -searches/

I can only hope that the fantastic founders, and developers of SolydXK do not follow in the steps of Canonical.

My apologizes to the world, for our out of control government.
E5-2690 Xeon - 16GB PC12800 DDR3 1600 Quad Channel -
Chinese HUANAN MB - GeForce GTX 960 4GB PCI Express 16X HDMI
Dual 480.0 GB SSD Corsair - Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler - Blu-ray / DVD LightScribe Recorder
Debian Sid - Kernel 4.17.2-zen

ScottQuier

Re: Just something to think about

Postby ScottQuier » 19 Jan 2014 20:25

This little screen snap
CanonicalCompany.jpeg
CanonicalCompany.jpeg (27.79 KiB) Viewed 3686 times
kind says it all about Canonical. They are a company and have found "interesting" ways to monetize their "free and open source" product. Should SolydXK go down that path, I'll be jumping ship and moving onto a different alternative. Do I believe this will happen? No. I believe Schoelje, et al, have different an much more transparent (dare I say, ethical) plans for SolydXK.

All of the above not withstanding, are there ways in which NSA, and any other sufficiently funded and motivated concern, can exploit, violate, and gain access to a targeted SolydXK machine. I would bet all of my next year's pay on that with out a single fear.

What can be done about it? Take a stand. Be heard. Do what one can. Be active in the political process (just like you!).
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

wisemagic

Postby wisemagic » 19 Jan 2014 20:33

Thanks Scott,

I do apologize for bringing a political tone to the forum. My only intent is to let people know that we are trying to change things, and that as Great as Linux is, there will be those that may have good intentions, but go about it in the wrong ways.
Dual 480.0 GB SSD Corsair - Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler - Blu-ray / DVD LightScribe Recorder

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 19 Jan 2014 20:44

ScottQuier wrote:Do I believe this will happen? No. I believe Schoelje, et al, have different an much more transparent (dare I say, ethical) plans for SolydXK.
During my journey here, in reading about the history and the thinking behind the creation of Solyd, I think I read into Schoelje's reasons for going off on his own. While this is presumptuous of me it seemed as though it was there from jump, without too much need to read between the lines. For me this is one of the more important reasons I came here, and decided to stay. Solyd is/was done right, right down to the reasoning behind its creation. And here I go again with one of my broken-record mantras... :mrgreen:

I have this same respect for the folks at Mepis and antiX, and for the original Debian manifesto although I'm realistic about the need for proprietary blobs. There are many others out there I'm sure, but I have only one life. Solyd is simply the best of the best.

@Wisemagic, +1, with you all the way, agree completely, just never been much of a political or activist type. That said I'm also an opinionated cuss, and I know right when I see it... :D

I no longer have the absolute certainty of youth. Even so I'm absolutely convinced down to my bones that Solyd is not headed in any sort of sell-out direction whatsoever.

-- Dave

:lol: @Scott-- Along with the concept of "common sense", the word "ethical" has also been outlawed in most parts of the world...

wisemagic

Postby wisemagic » 19 Jan 2014 21:35

Just a little side note for Windows users, that you may want to pass along.

NSA key to Windows: an open question
Note the date of this CNN article ( 1999 )

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9909/ ... ws.nsa.02/

Quick Quote:
" (CNN) - Microsoft operating systems have a backdoor entrance for the National Security Agency, a cryptography expert said Friday, but the software giant denied the report and other experts differed on it.

The chief scientist at an Internet security company said Microsoft built in a "key" for the nation's most powerful intelligence agency to the cryptographic standard used in Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT4 and Windows2000."
End Quote

The United States government maintains that the actions of the NSA are a direct response to the 9/11 attack. Their laughable statement is that spying on the citizens, keeps us safer. I think that is just a bit of a stretch, since the spying was going on way before 9/11, and they totally missed the 9/11 attack.

So if you are dual booting with Windows, or have friends & family that use Windows, you may want to be a little more cautious in what you do, or what you send in an email while using Windows.

I could go on and on, but this is not a political forum, so I will post no more. If you want to PM me, I will answer all. Thanks. Be safe!!

smackthepony

Postby smackthepony » 27 Jan 2014 15:08

taken from open dictionary

de·moc·ra·cy (dĭ-mŏk′rə-sē)
n. pl. de·moc·ra·cies
1. Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
2. A political or social unit that has such a government.
3. The common people, considered as the primary source of political power.
4. Majority rule.
5. The principles of social equality and respect for the individual within a community.

[French démocratie, from Late Latin dēmocratia, from Greek dēmokratiā : dēmos, people; see dā- in Indo-European roots + -kratiā, -cracy.]

apparently the dēmos part doesn't give a shit :!:
most heard reason; i have nothing to hide shows the stupidity of those who have a right to vote.
Orwells All people are equal, but some people are more equal than others is still valid.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 27 Jan 2014 18:09

smackthepony wrote:taken from open dictionary

de·moc·ra·cy (dĭ-mŏk′rə-sē)
n. pl. de·moc·ra·cies
1. Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
2. A political or social unit that has such a government.
3. The common people, considered as the primary source of political power.
4. Majority rule.
5. The principles of social equality and respect for the individual within a community.

[French démocratie, from Late Latin dēmocratia, from Greek dēmokratiā : dēmos, people; see dā- in Indo-European roots + -kratiā, -cracy.]

apparently the dēmos part doesn't give a shit :!:
most heard reason; i have nothing to hide shows the stupidity of those who have a right to vote.
Orwells All people are equal, but some people are more equal than others is still valid.
I tend to agree with that most of the demos/people don't care. Or they are blind to what is going on or they are getting all their information from only one source. (I consider all the Major networks and AP as one source). People need to be more informed from more sources. Not just take one or two sources at their word. ALL new outlets are run by people and all people have their bias. There is NO such thing as unbiased journalism. Some might be a little less bias or they might just hide it better. But before we get too deep into politics and start offending people, lets keep focus on SolydXK.

I don't mind if Schoelje and the team find a way to make money with it. In fact I hope they do. But I agree I avoid Ubuntu because of the spyware stuff and that goes for any distro.

smackthepony

Postby smackthepony » 27 Jan 2014 21:14

Fargo wrote:People need to be more informed from more sources.
And here i was, thinking people got their information from watching Big Brother and guess what, they do and they still aren't learning anything. :shock: (o crap i just read a funny story about cows blowing up their own stable by farting, sorry totally off topic) :lol:
And stop playing angry birds even there the brits and yanks are spying on you

Return to “Non-technical”