Thinking about moving from LMDE XFCE unofficial to SolydX

Questions about SolydXK: forum, project, distribution, etc..
klinglerware

Thinking about moving from LMDE XFCE unofficial to SolydX

Postby klinglerware » 26 Feb 2013 22:22

Congratulations on officially moving to your own distribution!

Ever since active support of LMDE XFCE was dropped, I have watched your project with interest. I am currently running with a clean install of your LMDE XFCE unofficial ISO, with an update to the 3.5.7 vanilla kernel.

I am thinking about moving to SolydX. What do you think are the pros and cons of staying on LMDE versus moving? Are you sticking with the update pack system, or will you track Debian Testing (or something else) more closely? Also, what might we expect in terms of support and updates with SolydX that we might not get on LMDE?

Thank you for all of your work. This looks very promising!

cwwgateway

Re: Thinking about moving from LMDE XFCE unofficial to Solyd

Postby cwwgateway » 26 Feb 2013 23:16

Welcome to the SolydXK forums :D .

The Unofficial LMDE Xfce is not going to be maintained by Schoelje any longer. If you look on the Mint blog (http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2313#comments), Clem responded with the following:
Marianof Says:
February 23rd, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Dears,
why there’ll be no more LMDE Xfce or KDE? Those are two great distros and desktops.
Thanks in advance.
Mariano

Edit by Clem: The decision was taken due to the lack of users on these editions. Schoelje however produced great ISOs for these and we’re planning to QA them to see if we’ll release them officially (if we do, it might be as community editions).
I believe Clem is trying to find a maintainer to make CEs of the two distros, but I'm not sure if he will succeed.

The Pros of staying with LMDE are that you have access to all linuxmint stuff. The only thing we don't have is cinnamon (which will come eventually because it has been added to the Debian Sid repositories); the rest of the mint software is in our repos AFAIK. You can have support from the Mint forum and community if you're running LMDE, although I'd think they'd help with SolydX too, but support isn't as guaranteed (obviously there is this forum, but we don't have quite as many users yet :lol: ). The cons are not getting proper support if they don't make the unofficials CEs. Also, Mint update packs are kind of slow coming. LMDE doesn't have the focus of the Mint team, so development is rather slow.

The pros of coming over here are that we are going to try to have timely update packs (I believe we're hoping for monthly) - we have our own repos. You can look in the "Update Pack Info" section of the update manager in SolydX/K for more info. Also, SolydX and SolydK are our main and only editions - they aren't a side project and they will get our full development resources. The con is really losing support from Mint.

We're going to have timely UPs (like I mentioned earlier) but I think we're also going to have security updates synchronized daily from the Debian Security Repo. LMDE doesn't get security updates in between update packs. LMDE often doesn't get updates for Mint software and other software that would normally be updated in other distros (I'm thinking specifically about firefox). Examples are firefox 19 vs 18.0.2, thunderbird 17.0.3 vs 17.0.2, solydxk packages will be updated in that repo closer to when new releases come out (I assume there will be some testing) instead of having an Ubuntu version getting updates first, skype, etc.

These forums are rather small right now, but they will grow once SolydXK is officially released (March 1st). We already have some very knowledgeable people, and I think many more will come.

Edit: Added the part about the security repo being synchronized daily
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 26 Feb 2013 23:25

To add a tiny detail to this marvelous explanation: the security repository is synchronized on a daily bases.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 27 Feb 2013 01:07

Schoelje wrote:To add a tiny detail to this marvelous explanation: the security repository is synchronized on a daily bases.
Thank you for the compliment :oops: :D . I'll edit my post to reflect that - I still am trying to figure out all of the details (been doing a lot of reading :lol: ).

Out of curiosity klinglerware, did you compile the kernel yourself? I've always kind of wanted to do that, but it seemed like a lot of work when I could use the liquorix kernel and have a fast up-to-date kernel. Still, I've been considering it lately.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

klinglerware

Postby klinglerware » 27 Feb 2013 04:48

Thank you both for your very detailed responses to my questions. You have convinced me to make the switch, and I followed the upgrade instructions without any problems. I'm very happy with the choice so far, and am excited that my preferred desktop/distro combination will be a focus, rather than a sideshow.

cwwgateway, I did compile the kernel myself. Following the instructions posted in various places on the LM forums, the process was relatively painless (and I am a relative novice with Linux). I have limited myself to Kernel 3.5.7, as I've read that upgrading to a more recent kernel requires wading into more unstable repos (which I suppose I will try eventually).

It's probably easier to use Liquorix or the Aptosid/Siduction kernels. I've avoided Liquorix, as it allegedly does not play nice with Virtualbox. I am considering trying out the Aptosid or Siduction kernels, though I am wary of adding more repo sources than necessary...

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 27 Feb 2013 11:58

I'm glad you've come to SolydXK :D

I've seen some posts on the CrunchBang forums about it, but it seems like simply the time required to download the kernel and compile it is rather large. I still definitely might try it some time. The liquorix kernel has problems with virtual box in the Debian repos, but for me it works with a few minor problems (very minor) from the VirtualBox wheezy repo (download.virtualbox.org).

The aptosid kernel doesn't seem to be particularly popular outside the aptosid area, but I've heard a lot of good things about the siduction kernel. The problem with the Siduction one is you get the whole distro sources (they have them seperated into different repos, but I think you get most of their packages with the repo the kernel is in), which sometimes has experimental things or things that require you to track Debian Sid.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

GeneC

Postby GeneC » 27 Feb 2013 12:54

Hiya klinglerware

Glad you made it here, welcome.
The meta package upgrade from unofficial-lmde to solydxk is pretty darn slick. I really like watching the terminal output as all the magic (to ME.. :lol: ) happens...
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

Return to “Non-technical”