SolydXK forum timezone settings

Questions about SolydXK: forum, project, distribution, etc..
Zill

SolydXK forum timezone settings

Postby Zill » 27 Mar 2016 13:49

British summer time (DST) started today and so our timezone (Western European Time, Greenwich Mean Time) went from UTC to UTC +1.

While the Debian forums have an option for the user to select when DST is in effect, this option is not present with SolydXK forums. It seems there is a "suggestion" for the user to select UTC +1 but this then identifies the timezone as Africa/Algiers, rather than UTC.

As, presumably, both Debian and SolydXK forums use the same phpBB software, I suggest the SolydXK forums should be configured in a similar way to the Debian forums so that the UK timezone can always remain on UTC but with a clear indicator whether or not DST is in effect.
Debian Forums.png
Debian Forums.png (10.36 KiB) Viewed 915 times
SolydXK Forums 1.png
SolydXK Forums 1.png (9.83 KiB) Viewed 915 times
SolydXK Forums 2.png
SolydXK Forums 2.png (8.11 KiB) Viewed 915 times

grizzler

Re: SolydXK forum timezone settings

Postby grizzler » 27 Mar 2016 15:41

Curious. For me the switch to DST seems to have been automatic. My settings are still Europe/Amsterdam but with UTC+2.

What happens if you select Europe/London?
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 27 Mar 2016 16:42

I clicked on the suggested UTC +1 which then changed the Time zone to Africa\Algiers, I simply changed the Time zone back to Europe\London and the UTC+1 time remained set.

Zill

Postby Zill » 27 Mar 2016 16:43

grizzler: Thanks for that. As I had a similar problem with Linux Mint forums, I had posted a similar query there. The reply from xenopeek advises:
Debian forums use an older version of phpBB which looks indeed to work differently than our version. I've looked in our version and there is no toggle for users to have a field to enable/disable summer time. You can just use the suggestion button to set the timezone and then yourself pick the city in that timezone that best matches your situation from the list.
It therefore seems that phpBB no longer has the option for directly setting or showing the status of DST. Following your advice, I now have set my timezone as UTC +1 and Europe/London. Hopefully, this will now automatically follow DST when it stops and starts again. ;-)
SolydXK forum.png
SolydXK forum.png (9.83 KiB) Viewed 897 times

Return to “Non-technical”