[Solved] Sudden Loud Volume (After Recent UP)

Post your bugs here.
Deleted User 2764

[Solved] Sudden Loud Volume (After Recent UP)

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 22 Jan 2014 02:52

Since the last UPdate, I have a very annoying (sometimes painful) problem of the sound volume just suddenly becoming 100%! This is for both the on-board speakers on my HP laptop and for the headphones (thus can be painful/startling with headphones!)

I can't reproduce it with a given set of steps every time. It just does this at random and with no warning or nothing. I could be working in a file manager or viewing graphics and suddenly the volume would go up all the way (but the volume control in the system tray thinks it's the same). I keep setting it back to normal (using the +/- volume keys on my laptop) but it keeps suddenly jumping.

This is when things are "silent" and nothing audio is playing. Then next time a beep or notification plays or anything with sound for that matter, it's L-O-U-D! You never know when it'll blast your ears.

Anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?

Orbmiser

Re: Sudden Loud Volume (After Recent UP)

Postby Orbmiser » 22 Jan 2014 03:09

Sorry can't help but if I had to bet then it's a specific laptop issue.
Will check around and see if I can spot some possible solutions.

Only thing I found so far. And may not be relevant.

Clients alter master output volume (aka volume jumps to 100% after running application)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/P ... ication.29
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

fkef

Postby fkef » 22 Jan 2014 05:11

I am also experiencing similar issue, that the volume jumps up to 100 %.

But for me it is a little different, I have only noticed it so far when playing videos. It seems like KDE forgets the volume settings.

1. Play a video in VLC.
2. Adjust the volume
3. Close VLC
4. Start a new video file

Sometimes the volume is back at 100 % again. This is new since januari UP

stelios

Postby stelios » 22 Jan 2014 05:17

If you are using SolydK, try to adjust the sound volume of your system using pavucontrol, not kmix. It seems that for some reason, the system (especially system notifications) suddenly adjusts to the sound levels set there, not in kmix. The first tab has a slider for the system notifications sound volume.

So whenever sound volume levels revert to those in pavucontrol, it will not be at 100%

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 22 Jan 2014 05:32

There's no 'pavucontrol' on my system.

As for the Wiki article, it is for ArchLinux, not SolydK so I don't know if it would work? My entire /etc/pulse/daemon.conf file is commented out anyway. Maybe it's not using it?

wyrdoak

Postby wyrdoak » 22 Jan 2014 05:39

I was wondering why I kept having to play with the volume control, I thought it was the recording I was listening to. :lol: All I had to do was to go to /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and change flat-volumes from yes to no. Now the sound seem to be leveled out again. :D Will clear your sines when using 8amp speakers. :lol:

Acer Aspire One AO532h; CPU Atom n450 1.66Gh: 2GB RAM, duel boot with Win7: SolydK32

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 22 Jan 2014 06:02

Thanks. Found the flat-volumes = yes and it was commented out. So I copied/pasted it and set it to no and restarted pulse as per the Wiki instructions (found one should not do this as root, but as user). Let's hope it works.

stelios

Postby stelios » 22 Jan 2014 08:31

RavenLX wrote:There's no 'pavucontrol' on my system.

As for the Wiki article, it is for ArchLinux, not SolydK so I don't know if it would work? My entire /etc/pulse/daemon.conf file is commented out anyway. Maybe it's not using it?
There is. You will find it as Pulseaudio Volume control. pavucontrol is the command. Sorry for the "slang", i should have called it that way in the first place

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 22 Jan 2014 09:04

stelios wrote:
RavenLX wrote:There's no 'pavucontrol' on my system.

There is. You will find it as Pulseaudio Volume control. pavucontrol is the command. Sorry for the "slang", i should have called it that way in the first place
Sorry but pavucontrol is not installed in KDE by default. But in the repo I believe.
Portfolio
Flickr

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 22 Jan 2014 09:05

Indeed, pavucontrol is not installed by default:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 22 Jan 2014 14:40

Thanks, everyone. At least I feel better I'm not going nuts. :lol: I've went the route the Wiki said and it seems to have helped a great deal. Haven't had a startling surge in volume yet. I'll mark this thread Solved.

fkef

Postby fkef » 22 Jan 2014 15:34

RavenLX wrote:Thanks, everyone. At least I feel better I'm not going nuts. :lol: I've went the route the Wiki said and it seems to have helped a great deal. Haven't had a startling surge in volume yet. I'll mark this thread Solved.
RavenLX: Was it this you did to fix the problem?

If changing volume in specific applications changes also master output volume you can try to diasble flat volumes. Set:
/etc/pulse/daemon.conf
flat-volumes = no

Deleted User 2764

Re: [Solved] Sudden Loud Volume (After Recent UP)

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 22 Jan 2014 18:00

Yes, that's what I did. Only in the config file in my system, it was commented out.

Here are the full steps:

1. Edit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf as root
2. Find

;flat-volumes = yes
3. Under it, type in the following (do not use a semi-colon) :

flat-volumes = no
4. Save the file.
5. In the terminal type in the following commands as your current user (not as root) :

$ pulseaudio -k
    $ pulseaudio --start
This solves the problem with the volume randomly going up to 100%.

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 22 Jan 2014 20:25

Glad it solved it for you. And new it was a shot in the dark. "He shoots from Half-Court and Scores!" :o

And don't be put off just because it's Arch or Ubuntu or Mint,etc....
KDE is KDE under any distro. Usually only differences is default packages and custom tweaks of KDE.
Tho different kernel versions can break or make hardware related issues.

Under the hood stuff many times are pretty much the same.
So solutions many times are found in other distro's forums.
Portfolio
Flickr

fkef

Postby fkef » 22 Jan 2014 21:07

I will try RavenLX solution tomorrow.

Any clue on WHY this started now after the Jan UP?

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 22 Jan 2014 21:12

@Orbmiser: Thank you!

I too would like to know why it was fun until the UP. I came in at the tail end of the UP so I didn't really test that part of things. Just that the UP process would work smoothly and other smaller software-related things. I didn't think to actually try to use the test installation as I would the production system or I think I would have noticed it before the Up went production. Sorry about that. :oops:

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 23 Jan 2014 01:02

Knowing the Why's would require even more knowledge of how linux works.
As always frustrated me how an update or new kernel,driver,etc.. that use to work great is now broken kind of thing.

My guess is during the bug fixes,applying patches then recompiling programs with the required libraries and flags,etc..
Things either are not re-tested or can't be for new breakage or things like flags and includes and such aren't included. Only rear their heads in specific sets of circumstances. Like issue with sound being a specific laptop issue that can't be tested for.

Tho just recent breakage for me and others with KDE and Xfce was loss of DVD/CD & SD card mounting.
Recent update lost that when it worked great in Dec. But depending how you look at it. Kernel was compiled without polling turned on. Or udisk and udisk2 due to bug are not polling for new device insertion for those. Even thou Usb keys,Mp3 player and tablet mounted fine in dolphin.

Never have figure out a understandable or acceptable Why. As due to my lack of understanding find it a bit dis-believing that how something can work all of a sudden stop working. As gives the impression someone being lazy,sloppy and about not being careful and break things.

That always been a base frustration having everything work smoothly then bam update breakage! :?
Portfolio
Flickr

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 23 Jan 2014 03:53

I just thought of something, we got the KDE 4.12.1 only a day or two before the UP was released and they decided to let it go into this UP. I had wanted to test it out more first but I think that it was a sure thing that 4.12.1 was vetted by the KDE team enough to get put in production.

It may be that some of the parts of KDE had differences that didn't play well with existing configurations or settings on some computers. It can happen. Even if I had found that problem, I don't know if we could have done anything about it. That would have to have been KDE's team to do the work on that.

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 23 Jan 2014 04:01

As good a guess as any other. Like I said welcome the magical world of Guess! :shock:
Very well be a KDE issue. My $2 bet that it is.
Portfolio
Flickr

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 31 Jan 2014 00:33

RavenLX wrote:Yes, that's what I did. Only in the config file in my system, it was commented out.

Here are the full steps:

1. Edit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf as root
2. Find

;flat-volumes = yes
3. Under it, type in the following (do not use a semi-colon) :

flat-volumes = no
4. Save the file.
5. In the terminal type in the following commands as your current user (not as root) :

$ pulseaudio -k
    $ pulseaudio --start
This solves the problem with the volume randomly going up to 100%.
Thanks! You've saved my... ears! ;)
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

Return to “Bug Control”