3rd install attempt, password not recognized

Post your bugs here.
lizbeth

Re: 3rd install attempt, password not recognized

Postby lizbeth » 10 Sep 2014 14:01

its english with default english keyboard. i dont use any special characters not on the standard english keyboard. The password works with every other distro that i use, only soldyx was giving me a hard time.
Rebellion Against Tyranny is Obedience To GOD!

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 10 Sep 2014 16:27

@lisbeth - How would you feel about this idea:

You create a password similar to the one you use, all the same special characters (etc), but change the order/position of them and change the length of the password, change the alphabetical and numeric characters and don't tell use what changes you've made - basically make it characteristically the same as yours but so different in detail that there's no chance of anyone even coming close to guessing what yours is.

For example, let's say your password is

Code: Select all

P@ssW0rd!@
The one you might provide us would/could be

@Fr3d&G!nG3r2L0v3d2D@nc3!
Then test to make sure it fails. Share that one with us so we can see if it fails for us as well.

If it fails for others, then we know the issue is with the installer. If not, then we know it's something on your end.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

just

Postby just » 10 Sep 2014 16:50

i thought about the same thing - ask lizbeth to give us some password that surely fails on her side. and try to install solydxk with that password here. but was unable to find the right words to ask her about it.

can't immagine another way to solve this password mystery.

lizbeth, if you decide to share with us some failing password, could you be so kind to let us know the exact details about the iso you're trying to install. is it solydx? solydk? 32- or 64-bit? home or business edition? the best thing would be to give us the exact filename of the iso on which your password fails..

lizbeth

Postby lizbeth » 11 Sep 2014 14:05

Ok, so i changed all the passwords to something else with a different gestalt behind them so that i wont compromise security here.

I installed solydx and created a user Skittle Butt (my cat) and gave her the password ??""12SKIttleS and it fails after reboot when i try to logi in. However, in every other linux distro i use, LMDE, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch, etc it works without a hitch after reboot.

Try it and see for yourself! :mrgreen:
Rebellion Against Tyranny is Obedience To GOD!

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 11 Sep 2014 14:18

Thank you!! - It'll be the first thing I do when I get home (in about 7 hours time ...)

But, if I had to guess, without knowing what your real password is, and in advance of testing and inspection of the code (yep, I'll be digging into the code on this one), I would bet it's the quotes. Handling double-quotes and single-quotes in code can be tricky.
Scott

just

Postby just » 12 Sep 2014 08:31

lizbeth wrote:
...and gave her the password ??""12SKIttleS and it fails after reboot when i try to logi in... Try it and see for yourself!
tried it and can only confirm what was many times said by lizbeth:
  1. the installer does accept ??""12SKIttleS as a password
  2. the installed system does not accept it though. it is not possible to enter with it in the installed system.
once the system was installed with a "traditional" password:
  1. it is possible to change it with the passwd command and use ??""12SKIttleS as a new one. for both standard and root users. as the installer does.
  2. after this change - and differently from a freshly installed system, - the ??""12SKIttleS can be freely used not only in the same session, but even after a reboot. the system accepts the new password, permits to log in and to work normally. it works just fine, as any "traditional" password does.
seems like there's something that doesn't work quite fine while the password is being passed from the installer to the newly installed system.

ps. continuously installing and reinstalling the system for these tests, seems like i've discovered another bug in the installer. the first time the system installs nicely (on /dev/sda8). but if you try to install it a second time into another partition (/dev/sda9), the installer never moves beyond the "Formatting /dev/sda9 with ext4..." stage. it is only possible to close it and exit from the live session. checking sda8 and sda9 with gparted later, from an external linux, gives a lot of errors on both... don't want compromise my box integrity continuing with these tests.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 12 Sep 2014 19:32

i'll move the topic here [bug control]
bliss of ignorance

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 12 Sep 2014 22:42

just wrote:seems like i've discovered another bug in the installer. the first time the system installs nicely (on /dev/sda8). but if you try to install it a second time into another partition (/dev/sda9), the installer never moves beyond the "Formatting /dev/sda9 with ext4..." stage.
I find this interesting. Beginning with the 201407 iso, I am able to install only to a clean partition, where previous iso releases allowed overwriting a previously existing install:

http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?p=40057#p40057

I didn't think anything of it at the time, but now I'm curious... Wonder if this is related....?

@Just, were your sda8 & sda9 newly created partitions, or pre-existing but formatted in advance of install, or were you installing over previously existing installs on sda8 or 9?

(BTW my systems are all BIOS, I have no EFI.)

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 12 Sep 2014 22:51

this looks like a regression in the live-installer; it isn't the desired behavior.
bliss of ignorance

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 13 Sep 2014 01:10

What's really interesting is I just did an install on a perfectly clean drive. By clean, I mean there wasn't even a partition table on it (it's a new SSD), so I had to run it through gparted during the install. The first install attempt failed. The second one, with the partitions unchanged and NOT reformatted before-hand, went through without a problem. So did the third attempt - I screwed up something really really bad when I attempted to move /var from the SSD to the second drive (a really HDD).
Scott

just

Postby just » 13 Sep 2014 02:25

fleabus wrote:
...were your sda8 & sda9 newly created partitions, or pre-existing but formatted in advance of install, or were you installing over previously existing installs on sda8 or 9?
if for "newly created" you mean created from within the installer, than no, they were not. both were/are pre-existing, and formatted in advance of install. file systems on the box vary from ext2 to btrfs, two are zfs. some are occuped by linuxes, other are empty (but always formatted). those of linux type are regularly checked with forced fsck (fsck -f). any fat ot ntfs crap doesn't exist.

both make part of 32 partitions, existing on two internal hard disks. 30 are for linux and bsd, 2 are common data partitions, shared between other 30 (a kind of a "local cloud"). this is my main box, were all password tests for lizbeth were done. it is a sane and healthy computer without uefi nightmare.

exactly as you note, it started happening from 2014.07. prior to this version i was used to have both X and K installed, starting from 2014.07 seems like it is not possible anymore, due to this... misbehaviour (?). at least, i wasn't able to install both.

it happened some times earlier as well, but at that time i didn't pay a big attention to it. thought it was some fault on my side, mainly due to too much beers before installing :) . but now, using a more sistematic approach and with a cold head, this strange behaviour became more evident.

earlier i've tried to install 2014.07 HE on another box. that one is newer than the main one, and is uefi-infected. but uefi is totally disabled, any m$-related stuff is totally wiped out and doesn't exist on it. the box boots in pure legacy mode. it has 16 linux-only partitions and none of fat..ntfs type. the result of X+K double-installation was the same - the failure.

it happens with solydxk-2014.07-64bit home edition. i didn't try/use business or 32bit versions.

the fact that a partition that will become a solydxk / is not relevant, as the 2014.07 installer - differently from any other one i know - does not permit to avoid its formatting. it wants and will format it always and in any case. another thing that i disliked a lot.

while there's only one instance of the solydxk-2014.07-64bit on the disk(s), for gparted everything is ok. the first install is found on /dev/sda8. then i boot the box from an external usb key with systemrescuecd on it, and use its gparted to check computer's internal disk(s).

gparted goes mad only after a second - unsuccessfull - installation attempt was done, on /dev/sda9. it fires up a plethora of errors, shows apparently random disk partitions as already mounted :o on various strange mountpoints (/var, /usr, ...) . the strangest thing is that it manages somehow to find a fat partition in place of /dev/sda8 :shock: ...

don't remember well if uefi support was introduced with 2014.05 or in 2014.07. but
this "fat partition", found by gparted, makes me think that it is the main reason of my adventures with it.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 13 Sep 2014 03:38

just wrote:if for "newly created" you mean created from within the installer, than no, they were not. both were/are pre-existing, and formatted in advance of install.
Mine were also preexisting. Unless I format them first (before or during install) the installer will not continue past

EXECUTING: 'mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda11'
I have only about a year's Linux experience and have not yet ventured past ext4.
just wrote:both make part of 32 partitions, existing on two internal hard disks. 30 are for linux and bsd, 2 are common data partitions, shared between other 30 (a kind of a "local cloud"). this is my main box...
My main/testing machine is like half of yours, with 17 Linux (sda2 is controlling grub, SolydX64 installed September 2013), one leftover Win7 I keep for support of friends/family, and one 2tb common data drive, external usb, of necessity ntfs. Like yours, "it is a sane and healthy computer without uefi nightmare". :D
just wrote:it started happening from 2014.07. prior to this version i was used to have both X and K installed, starting from 2014.07 seems like it is not possible anymore, due to this... misbehaviour (?). at least, i wasn't able to install both.
Yes, started with 201407, but I've been lucky so far, have not experienced any problems other than the one I mentioned, can install X64 or K64 HEs, but only to a freshly created/formatted partition, or an old partition that has been pre-formatted (I can even format it during an install using Gparted). Can no longer get it to overwrite an existing install though, must format the partition first.
just wrote: it happens with solydxk-2014.07-64bit home edition. i didn't try/use business or 32bit versions.
I also have not checked to see if I can duplicate this behavior with 32bit HEs, or the BEs. And I don't own any EFI stuff. Maybe that's a good thing... :D
just wrote:gparted goes mad only after a second - unsuccessfull - installation attempt was done, on /dev/sda9. it fires up a plethora of errors, shows apparently random disk partitions as already mounted :o on various strange mountpoints (/var, /usr, ...) . the strangest thing is that it manages somehow to find a fat partition in place of /dev/sda8 :shock: ...
Haven't seen any Gparted oddness yet. But my system is boring conventional, I have not yet ventured beyond ext4 and ntfs, but indeed I wouldn't even know if that had anything to do with it...? :? :?

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 13 Sep 2014 03:48

ScottQuier wrote:What's really interesting is I just did an install on a perfectly clean drive. By clean, I mean there wasn't even a partition table on it (it's a new SSD), so I had to run it through gparted during the install. The first install attempt failed. The second one, with the partitions unchanged and NOT reformatted before-hand, went through without a problem. So did the third attempt - I screwed up something really really bad when I attempted to move /var from the SSD to the second drive (a really HDD).
So far <fingers crossed> I haven't had any trouble on installs to clean drives using 201407. I've only done a couple of these from the 201407 iso, Both X64 HE, as usual from usb written with dd, brand new drives and so of course had to run them thru Gparted, boring-standard bios/mbr installs with / and swap.
zerozero wrote:this looks like a regression in the live-installer; it isn't the desired behavior.
Yeah, wish I'd spoken up more earlier, but like just, I thought maybe it was something weird I had done, or maybe a passing hardware anomaly...

Return to “Bug Control”