Ctrl Alt F7 Freezes SolydK64

Post your bugs here.
cecil

Ctrl Alt F7 Freezes SolydK64

Postby cecil » 23 Jun 2013 23:09

Ctrl Alt F7 Freezes SolydK64 from LiveDVD and hard drive install.

Doing a Ctrl Alt F1-6 brings up a terminal screen as expected, but a Ctrl Alt F7 returns to a frozen desktop screen. The system is still running, a Youtube.com video will continue playing the sound, but with no picture update. Ctrl Alt F1-6 will not go back to a terminal, Ctrl Alt Backspace does not restart X, Ctrl Alt Del however does reboot. Previous problems suggested that the system was starting the Desktop on F8 instead of F7. This turned out to be correct, using Ctrl Alt F8 returns to a normally functioning desktop. SolydK64 and SolydK32 both boot to F8, SolydK32 however does not freeze the system, instead it shows the startup log text and allows a return to the normal desktop with Ctrl Alt F8. This might be considered an unexpected feature (I had a LinuxMintKDE install that did this). But the system freeze of SolydK64 from both LiveDVD and hd install should be considered a bug. Starting a new session creates a normally functioning desktop on F7 (LiveDVD cannot login, but this does prevent freezing screen).

My system is unusual, ASUS MB with onboard video (unused) and an AMD 4650 card connected to hdmi monitor, but LiveDVD checks on a Gateway connected by vga to a CRT monitor confirm this problem is not peculiar to my system.

kwag

Re: Ctrl Alt F7 Freezes SolydK64

Postby kwag » 24 Jun 2013 05:24

Verified.
System lockups completely here too.
It's a bug.

cecil

Postby cecil » 24 Jun 2013 18:55

Thanks for the confirmation kwag.

Just installed new PCLinuxOS-Full-Monty and it has the feature of installing the Desktop on VT8 for both 32 and 64 versions. This is a full featured novice user os and does not even provide any user available VTs.
Strangely my installed Mint13_KDE_64 starts on VT8; but the LiveDVD starts on VT7. Only thing that might explain this is enabling ppa repositories to get current version of KDE. It is disconcerting to have your second user-session on VT7.

F7 & F8 in original post should have been VT7 & VT8; hope this did not confuse anyone; couldn't think of proper terminology at the time.

kwag

Postby kwag » 18 Jul 2013 00:24

Was this issue addressed in the last update pack?

Thanks

negora

Postby negora » 18 Jul 2013 12:12

I'm running a fresh install of the latest SolydK 64-bit ISO (with the Update Pack of July installed over) and the graphical interface is loaded in the VT7 properly. There's no black screen here.

kwag

Postby kwag » 18 Jul 2013 18:13

negora wrote:I'm running a fresh install of the latest SolydK 64-bit ISO (with the Update Pack of July installed over) and the graphical interface is loaded in the VT7 properly. There's no black screen here.
If you're talking about the 2013.07.06 - 64 bit ISO (KDE version is what I tried), it still has the issue.

Try a CTRL+ALT+F7 when you're at the desktop GUI, and your machine will go to "never never land".

cecil

Postby cecil » 19 Jul 2013 03:09

See no change as of Thursday, July 18, 2013.

Did fresh install using solydk64_201306.iso followed by running Update Manager to bring system fully up to date.

kwag

Postby kwag » 19 Jul 2013 04:35

cecil wrote:See no change as of Thursday, July 18, 2013.

Did fresh install using solydk64_201306.iso followed by running Update Manager to bring system fully up to date.
Exactly what I did.
This is a serious bug, and I thought it would be corrected in the latest pack :roll:
Sadly, this is a serious issue.

negora

Postby negora » 19 Jul 2013 06:30

kwag wrote:If you're talking about the 2013.07.06 - 64 bit ISO (KDE version is what I tried), it still has the issue.

Try a CTRL+ALT+F7 when you're at the desktop GUI, and your machine will go to "never never land".
Yes, I reaffirm what I said. I'm using SolydK 64-bit (solydk64_201306.iso) plus the last Update Pack (2013.07.06) and my system works fine. The desktop is loaded in the VT7, not in the VT8.

After some checks, I believe that this problem is connected to the video driver that you use and X.org. I'm using the propietary nVidia driver and I have 0 issues with it. However, I've tested a fresh install with the default driver ("nouveau" in my case) and it freezes, just as you both commented.

What video cards do you have?

PS: The system that freezes has no Update Pack installed... Yet. I'm downloading it. As soon it's done I'll try again with the "nouveau" driver.

negora

Postby negora » 19 Jul 2013 08:09

I've updated this fresh install with the Update Pack 2013.07.06, and it's working fine, in the VT7, even using the "nouveau" driver. So it has nothing to do with the driver that you're using, I guess.

One important change after the update is the kernel version, which passes from 3.2 to 3.9. However, if you both have updated, you should be using 3.9 too. So I might discard that.

Ummm... What about Playmouth? Have you tried to disable it, reboot and check which VT is used by the X session? I believe that's the only change that I've done to these 2 computers with fresh installs, because the splash screen gets frozen when I use the proprietary nVidia driver.

Run Debian Plymouth Manager and disable the logo, reboot and check what happens.

kwag

Postby kwag » 19 Jul 2013 18:09

I have two different machines.
On both, it hangs.

Both are Intel Integrated video chipset.

Mars

Postby Mars » 19 Jul 2013 19:05

I had the same while I was in cli mode on a freshly installed SolydK amd64 201306. Now Im updating, so I will see if it got better.

negora

Postby negora » 19 Jul 2013 21:01

kwag wrote:I have two different machines.
On both, it hangs.

Have you tried to disable Plymouth, reboot and test again? Just to discard possible causes.

kwag

Postby kwag » 19 Jul 2013 22:02

negora wrote:
kwag wrote:I have two different machines.
On both, it hangs.

Have you tried to disable Plymouth, reboot and test again? Just to discard possible causes.
If you meant the "splash" reference, well, that did it!
I edited the boot line, removing the "splash" reference, and now I can do CTRL+ALT+(F1 to F10) without any issues.

Guess that's a workaround, ITMT

Thanks

negora

Postby negora » 19 Jul 2013 22:21

kwag wrote:If you meant the "splash" reference, well, that did it!
I edited the boot line, removing the "splash" reference, and now I can do CTRL+ALT+(F1 to F10) without any issues.

Guess that's a workaround, ITMT

Thanks
Yes, Plymouth is what manages the splash screen. I thought that it could be the cause because that was the only change that I had done in my 2 fresh installs with regard to yours.

To avoid having to edit the line in GRUB, I recommend you to run debian-plymouth-manager (ether from the command line or from the KDE application launcher) and apply the following theme: "None: no plymouth splash".

Obviously the new boot screen will be uglier (only text). But until the Plymouth maintainers fix this and other recent bug with the proprietary nVidia driver, at least we can use SolydK without serious risks, he he he.

kwag

Postby kwag » 19 Jul 2013 22:42

negora wrote: Obviously the new boot screen will be uglier (only text). But until the Plymouth maintainers fix this and other recent bug with the proprietary nVidia driver, at least we can use SolydK without serious risks, he he he.
Thanks, negora.

Working like a charm.

Hope the next ISO build of SolidXK has a perm fix.

Cheers

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 20 Jul 2013 08:47

kwag wrote:
negora wrote: Obviously the new boot screen will be uglier (only text). But until the Plymouth maintainers fix this and other recent bug with the proprietary nVidia driver, at least we can use SolydK without serious risks, he he he.
Thanks, negora.

Working like a charm.

Hope the next ISO build of SolidXK has a perm fix.

Cheers

Perhaps can you see if this bug is referenced on Plymouth's developers bug list: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Plymouth/ It could be quickly solved;)
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

jdhedden

Postby jdhedden » 27 Aug 2013 13:27

negora wrote: I recommend you to run debian-plymouth-manager (ether from the command line or from the KDE application launcher) and apply the following theme: "None: no plymouth splash".
For anyone installing SolydX/K, I encountered problems with Plymouth and the fglrx-driver package. When I did a re-installed of the OS, I noted an installer option to install Plymouth. I un-checked the option, and was able up upgrade to the fglrx-driver package without issue.
Jerry : SolydX / Siduction / Liquorix Kernel / Dell XPS 8700 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 635

darkstego

Postby darkstego » 03 Nov 2013 13:17

I have the same problem. System would freeze on Ctrl Alt F7. Just realized that the first GUI is on VT8.

Interestingly, if you start a second account it starts on VT7.

Just disabled the splash screen. Now everything works fine.

guiverc

Re: Ctrl Alt F7 Freezes SolydK [32 for me]

Postby guiverc » 01 Dec 2013 14:37

Howdy all readers.

Within last week I installed SOLDK-32 (2013-08) on dell 755 (motherboard gpu disabled, slightly faster intel card used); It was not the latest; but soldk-32 2013-08 (August) installed.
ps: am NEW to distro, but have used debian, ubuntu & mint for a few years..
Post-install; and (hiccup) changing repo's to new locations .. I ran 'apt-get update'; then 'apt-get upgrade' until no further upgrades, so I'd hope system is up-to-date (>400mb upgraded packages installed; or is my logic wrong?? with this distro ?)

Also installed a few other programs I feel necessary, but except for XTrkCAD & openssh[d/server]- no other additional software has yet been run; just installed.

Anyway, when I go to text terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F4), most of time its fine, and I can enter commands; sometimes if freezes [on press of ctrl-alt-f4). Assuming it doesn't freeze (most of time); the moment I try & leave tty & return to GUI (Ctrl-Alt-F7 I assume, never got back to GUI, but any Ctrl-Alt-Fx key at this point causes freeze) machine screen & keyboard hang [excluding ctrl-alt-del].

keyboard & screen dead - if I went to gui i have black screen, if I tried to go to another tty i get system id & login prompt top left corner but no cursor & hangs there. What I assume its GUI has only a fixed cursor.

Core of OS obviously still runs, as I can SSH into machine, htop & 'shutdown -r now' to reset it. But from the direct keyboard/screen, the only keys that seem to cause it do anything are Ctrl-Alt-Del which commences reboot

From viewing 'ps' or 'htop' (remote system via ssh) it appears as if nothing significant is running, cpu % is 1-3% and remains that way. Disk activity is extremely minimal.

Question: If I download & re-install latest (2013-11) ISO over 2013-08 - is it likely to improve; or given I've 'apt-get upgrade' & already downloading many hundreds of MB of packages of updates since august release - will I gain anything ???

I noted people refer to Plymouth (boot screen?) I don't care if I see text on boot;, I can try this, but not familar with plymouth so where is it; .etc/ply*.conf ?? & easy to understand ?

Thanks for any info, comments or corrections.

Chris g.
-----
user SolydXK (both XFCE & KDE desktops loaded)

Return to “Bug Control”