Offer a light/minimal version

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
Greduan

Offer a light/minimal version

Postby Greduan » 12 Apr 2014 15:50

Me being a fan of Arch doesn't have anything to do with this. Obviously. (;P)

I'd really like a minimal version of SolydXK. Maybe something like SolydM (minimal) or SolydL (light).

My idea is that it doesn't have anything except the update manager installed and have the package setup, set up.

Maybe at the beginning of the install have options? Like... What packages would you like to have pre-setup? Flash? FFmpeg? Browser? Maybe a couple of text editors? (Vim, Emacs etc.)

This is just an idea. I'd really love to have a minimal setup that I can configure myself without having to disable the current WM in order to install another, etc. At the very least I think an easy step should be to just disable the WM and use .startx for this. ;)

If this post is in the wrong section feel free to move it to the right section. :) Also, this post was inspired by this one: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3463

ScottQuier

Re: Offer a light/minimal version

Postby ScottQuier » 12 Apr 2014 16:37

That's not a bad idea but you have to keep at least two things in mind:
  • The distro dev team is resource limited. That's PC speak for, "It's a small team."
  • Schoelje and zerozero have set up SolydXK with certain objectives in mind. If you read some of their posts, especially Schoelje's, and you read between lines it quickly becomes clear where SolydXK is headed.
Considering those two data points, the chances of a minimal spin is nearly zero.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Greduan

Postby Greduan » 12 Apr 2014 19:44

Thanks for the answer. :) Well I hope it happens. If it doesn't, oh well. 8-)

I really like the idea this distro has for rolling release on Debian though, so I'd really like to see this happen. :)

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 12 Apr 2014 22:06

Just a thought, have you perchance tried antiX? I have to admit to some bias here, it's my personal favorite for tight places where minimal is required, or just wanted/needed, and extremely tweak-friendly. Just two cents from the peanut gallery... :lol: At any rate I'm not very experienced, and so for now antiX is about as minimal as I'm willing to go ... :mrgreen:

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

http://antix.freeforums.org/index.php

Greduan

Postby Greduan » 12 Apr 2014 22:57

fleabus wrote:Just a thought, have you perchance tried antiX? I have to admit to some bias here, it's my personal favorite for tight places where minimal is required, or just wanted/needed, and extremely tweak-friendly. Just two cents from the peanut gallery... :lol: At any rate I'm not very experienced, and so for now antiX is about as minimal as I'm willing to go ... :mrgreen:

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

http://antix.freeforums.org/index.php

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I'll check it out if I can or feel it would work. For now I think SolydXK or Arch is enough for me. :)

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 13 Apr 2014 16:47

Greduan wrote:For now I think SolydXK or Arch is enough for me. :)
SolydX32 works very well for me as "minimal", although in truth I suppose it's what's called "midweight". I have very rarely needed to resort to antiX, except on very old hardware.

Greduan

Postby Greduan » 13 Apr 2014 17:49

Well you know. When I say minimal I mean Arch style, where absolutely NOTHING besides the stuff necessary to run the OS is installed.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 13 Apr 2014 17:59

Greduan wrote:Arch style, where absolutely NOTHING besides the stuff necessary to run the OS is installed.
Gotcha, I'm still way too green for that... :mrgreen: :lol:

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 13 Apr 2014 18:17

Greduan wrote: ... Arch style, where absolutely NOTHING besides the stuff necessary to run the OS is installed.

Not going to happen - read the SolydXK tag line
Linux desktop made easy
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 13 Apr 2014 18:38

Closest Debian-type thing I can think of is the Debian Live Standard ISO (has no DE) from here or get the netinst.iso from here and select no desktop during install, then change the repos and Solyd-ize as you wish, just a thought, I believe there are more than a few threads here on that...

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 13 Apr 2014 18:42

Closest Debian-type thing I can think of is the Debian Live Standard ISO (has no DE)

You just described a AntiX core iso.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 13 Apr 2014 18:44

rokytnji wrote:You just described a AntiX core iso.
Sheesh, You're right, mind is absent again! :lol:

Greduan

Postby Greduan » 14 Apr 2014 11:52

All right, thanks for everything guys! Arch-like SolydXK is not imperative, just something nice. I'll continue to test SolydXK and soon post some kind of review (in a month or something).

littlejohn

Postby littlejohn » 14 Apr 2014 17:09

I realize it is not likely to happen, but a light version of SolydXK (perhaps with LXDE) (SoydL ?) would be a very attractive package to those seeking to reanimate older, slower systems that will not run Windows Vista, 7,or 8.

I recently installed SolydX on an older system (see viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3477#p32538) and was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. A lite version should be even more impressive.

I may try installing LXDE on top of SolydX just to try it. If it works well, I will report it here.

Registered Linux User 483387

HP dv7t-7047; Core i7 quad HT, 2.8 GHz ; 8 GB ddr 3 ram; 2x750 GB, 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda HDD; Optimus graphics - Intel 4000 + Nvidia 950

OS: SolydX 64 (default), Linux Mint 16-64 Mate, ZorinOS 6.3-64

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 14 Apr 2014 23:11

littlejohn wrote:I may try installing LXDE on top of SolydX just to try it. If it works well, I will report it here.

John
a few days ago we were "playing" with LXDE here >> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3448
interesting experiment 8-)
bliss of ignorance

littlejohn

Postby littlejohn » 15 Apr 2014 07:39

Very interesting. I should have searched the forum more thoroughly.

I have not yet gotten it running to my satisfaction, but that's my fault. Was trying to install what turns out to be an unneeded symlink and totally borked my test install.

I will be out at my cardiologist's office all day today, but will reinstall everything this evening.
As LongShot said in the referenced topic:
"The beauty of Linux, with a little work, you can make it into anything you need."

I totally agree. This is the major reason I will never go back to Windows.

Registered Linux User 483387

HP dv7t-7047; Core i7 quad HT, 2.8 GHz ; 8 GB ddr 3 ram; 2x750 GB, 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda HDD; Optimus graphics - Intel 4000 + Nvidia 950

OS: SolydX 64 (default), Linux Mint 16-64 Mate, ZorinOS 6.3-64

MoldMe

Postby MoldMe » 01 May 2014 16:21

littlejohn wrote:I realize it is not likely to happen, but a light version of SolydXK (perhaps with LXDE) (SoydL ?) would be a very attractive package to those seeking to reanimate older, slower systems that will not run Windows Vista, 7,or 8.

CrunchBang Linux, featuring Openbox WM and Tint2 panel is attractive in a minimalist way.

CrunchBang -- Siduction -- SolydBang (Openbox, Tint2, most of XFCE4 removed, CrunchBang scripts)

Greduan

Postby Greduan » 01 May 2014 18:00

MoldMe wrote:
littlejohn wrote:I realize it is not likely to happen, but a light version of SolydXK (perhaps with LXDE) (SoydL ?) would be a very attractive package to those seeking to reanimate older, slower systems that will not run Windows Vista, 7,or 8.

CrunchBang Linux, featuring Openbox WM and Tint2 panel is attractive in a minimalist way.

But CrunchBang isn't a rolling release is it? Rolling release is what brought me to SolydXK. :)

hinto

Postby hinto » 01 May 2014 23:33

You can roll #! if you change sources.list (or sources.list.d) to testing or sid.
It's a little bit different than UP. With UP you have some confidence that the particular updates are stable.
-Hinto

“Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.”
― Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

MoldMe

Postby MoldMe » 02 May 2014 06:12

Greduan wrote:
MoldMe wrote:

But CrunchBang isn't a rolling release is it? Rolling release is what brought me to SolydXK. :)

My bad. I was keying on your "minimalism' requirement. As hinto stated, CrunchBang can be made rolling, but SolydXK with UP is probably the more stable option.

CrunchBang -- Siduction -- SolydBang (Openbox, Tint2, most of XFCE4 removed, CrunchBang scripts)

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”