Thank you all for your donations

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Schoelje
Site Admin

Thank you all for your donations

Postby Schoelje » 26 Jan 2017 11:38

About a month ago, it was on Christmas day, I called for help and asked for a donation so we can continue this beautiful project.

Your gifts resulted in a total amount of $498 or €467.
With the raised money we are able to pay for this year's server costs.

This year there will be a lot to do. If all goes to plan, Debian will release Stretch as the new stable and SolydXK will follow as soon as possible after that. Of course, only after everything is done to the standard everybody is used to. Another major change is something we normally do not worry much about. Our repository is running on old Squeez and needs to be upgraded badly. The plan is to upgrade as soon as Stretch becomes stable. During that time the old server will continue to work until the new one has been tested thoroughly. When the time comes I will let you all know.

I want to thank everybody who donated to SolydXK. Without your financial help this project couldn't continue. I also want to thank everybody who help making this operating system as good as it is and making the forum a good place to be for both experienced users and newcomers alike.

Have a good year and hope to see you soon on the forum!

Best regards,

Arjen Balfoort
Founder SolydXK

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

SolydForEver

Re: Thank you all for your donations

Postby SolydForEver » 27 Jan 2017 05:23

Hi Schoelje, hi all,

I, just as several others, have read Schoeljes report about the received donations and where he thanks us all, I have something completely different to write.
First I have to write some other things and I want to start with the fact that I don't know how many people are here regularly on this forum, how many people do use SolydXK as their main OS and I also don't know how much people donate throughout the year.

What I do want to say is this: when the founder of this great OS, and let's be honest, it is a great OS, asks in his yearly plea for donations to keep things running, after a whole month the score is just €467, I am amazed, not to say I am angry.
Maybe I should not be so harsh, I know not everybody can donate a nice sum of money, but come on people, do you want to keep using SolydXK, or not?
Before Schoelje wrote his message here on the forum, https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6709 I donated money already and as it turns out now what I donated alone is more than 20% of the total amount. Now I don't want to brag about this, let that be clear to everyone, as I wrote already, I do know not everybody can donate a nice sum of money.

I only want this OS to keep going on. To be able to do that there has to be money. One type of income the OS has are donations. So please people, help. If you can spare some, donate it so also this year and the next year you can use and enjoy this great OS.
Schoelje wrote, with the donations received now, the costs for keeping the servers running are covered. But there are more costs, so there has to be more money.

Let's make the counter go through the roof.
D O N A T E ! ! !

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 30 Jan 2017 08:06

Thanks SolydForEver, for your passionate plea.

To remind people how important the donations are for the continuance of SolydXK I've also made some minor changes to our main site. The donation link is now not hidden away in the Contribute sub-menu but directly visible in the main menu and all the download pages start now with a short explanation and a donation form. A visitor will have to scroll down to get to the downloads but I hope that at least some of them will find SolydXK worthy of a donation.

I don't know if it will make any difference, but I don't know what else I can do to improve the donations.

SolydXK needs you!

patzy

Postby patzy » 30 Jan 2017 08:57

I see that filling in a name and email address is compulsory.

How can anyone make an anonymous donation?

Testing using 32bit SolydK
Pentium Dual CPU E2220 2Gb memory
Geoforce 8400 using Nouveau driver

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 30 Jan 2017 09:11

You can fill in anything you want but eventually, Paypal needs to know who you are and then I will know who made the donation. I'm afraid there is no anonymity in finances (at least not for us mere mortals :cry: ).

SolydXK needs you!

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 30 Jan 2017 19:55

patzy wrote:I see that filling in a name and email address is compulsory.

How can anyone make an anonymous donation?

Why being anonymous? Aren't you proud of helping somebody, or in this case helping the continuation of a distro you like to use?
On the Mint website they show the names of the donors so everyone can see how much somebody donated.
Don't know if SolydXK has to do that as well, but it couldn't hurt I guess.

One other thing:
I have been using the Distrowatch website for the last couple of weeks every day to open the SolydXK website and I see that the SolydXK score is rising. When you show the score for the last 7 days we are on number 28 already. When more people would do that we will be going up even more.
I know the score is not perfect but being in the top of the list makes you visible and that means a lot.
So come on people use Distrowatch.com, click on SolydXK and open the website from that spot. Let's get the score go through the roof.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 03 Feb 2017 16:39

People, please use Distrowatch to get to SolydXK. Today the long term counter showed position 103, 1 less than last week. This has to change.
Use distrowatch.com, in the right column scroll down all the way, click on more statistics, scroll down again till you see SolydXK on pos 103 in the left column, click it and choose either the home page, or for example the forum
Do this every day and let's get this fine distro back in the top 100.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 03 Feb 2017 18:50

I know you mean well and I do agree: it's good marketing and it's all in the numbers. The more people visit the Distrowatch page, the more people come here to find out how great SolydXK is, the more people are willing to help out and donate, the higher we get on the Distrowatch list resulting in even more people visiting us. However, the people in this community are regular users and don't have a reason to visit that Distrowatch page: they already know it and use it. I don't think we can change anything about that but still...thanks!

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “News & Anouncements”