SolydXK 9 released!

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Matt

Re: SolydXK 9 released!

Postby Matt » 24 Jul 2017 22:54

Hi Wildman,

wildman wrote:Just one question. Will the Package Updater appear in the notification area when an update is available?

Yes, new updates are notified whenever made available. You might have noticed it by yourself by now.

BTW, could you please do me a favor and check my post here below regarding the change of desktop background? Do you experience the same problem on your side?
> https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6956

Thanks,

Matt

gazza

Postby gazza » 11 Aug 2017 23:35

Welcome App Size Issue

When installed and running on a dual monitor the welcome app is way too long, spanning all of one monitor and half the second. I have one monitor playing videos at one side of the room, the second I do my work on.

[img]
Screenshot_2017-08-12_09-19-40.jpg
[/img]

Other than that, the Solydx side of the install is fine. I have a hundred and one issues from the Gtk3 version (no scrollbars atm) to socket issue in mplayer.py but that has nothing to do with the work you chaps do.

Thanks and keep up the good work.
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-08-12_09-19-40.jpg
Don't miss the donut by looking through the hole.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 12 Aug 2017 04:28

Thanks for reporting this issue.
Unfortunately I have no second screen at my disposal.

So, if you or anybody else has two screens and know some python, here's where the window size is set:
https://github.com/SolydXK/solydxk-welc ... welcome.py
from line 90.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

gazza

Postby gazza » 12 Aug 2017 05:06

A simple edit of line 91

change

Code: Select all

w = s.get_width()

to

w = s.get_width() / s.get_n_monitors()

basically says w = Screen_Width divided by Number of Monitors. This will cover 2 or more monitors side by side. Other complex setups , top, bottom could suffer however.

An Alternate more complex and using depreciated code

Replace

s = Gdk.Screen.get_default()
        w = s.get_width()
        h = s.get_height()

with

s = self.window.get_screen()
        m = s.get_monitor_at_window(s.get_active_window())
        monitor = s.get_monitor_geometry(m)
        w = monitor.width
        h = monitor.height

This actually gets the monitor size, not the screen size which is the accumulation of all monitors.

I tested both and they work.

late edit: Unfortunately Gtk has a very bad habit of making code depreciated without supplying new code to do the same or similar tasks. I gave up after a few hours of trying. Plus working in Gtk3.22 with the constant flood of errors drives me nuts. I'm sticking with Solydx8 for a while yet.

gazza

Postby gazza » 16 Aug 2017 01:17

After a Lot of frustration, I finally figured out how to find the monitors width/height in Gtk 3.22.

My biggest mistake was trying to do it in Solydx 8 , wrong Gtk version as Gdk.Display is not fully implemented in that version of Gtk.

This will only work in Gtk3.22 or higher and uses the 'Primary' monitor size. I got that far and decided that in 99.9999% of the time the welcome app opens on the primary monitor and if not, most of the time all monitors are the same or similar resolutions.

Replace

s = Gdk.Screen.get_default()
w = s.get_width()
h = s.get_height()

with

display = Gdk.Display.get_default()
pm = display.get_primary_monitor()
geo = pm.get_geometry()
w = geo.width
h = geo.height

Although this was a very frustrating exercise it did teach me a lot.

Now a question, Font size as determined in the Accessories Settings. Each time I reboot the display resets to 11 points, yet the actual setting shows what I set it too '16'. Obviously the setting is saved but not accessed when booting up. Is this a Solydx or Debian or other xfce? issue?

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 16 Aug 2017 06:33

Thanks for all the hard work!

I've updated the welcome package and uploaded it to our repository.

I tried to find the Accessories Settings in SolydX and couldn't. The only place I could find to change the font size is in Appearance > Fonts and that worked as expected.

SolydXK needs you!

gazza

Postby gazza » 16 Aug 2017 06:42

sorry , your right, appearance setting. For some reason, when I set it to 16 points it works fine. But when I boot the next time, it's back to 11 and the appearance says it's 16. I have to set it to 15 apply, then 16 apply to get it back to 16.

Maybe it's just me for whatever reason. If someone else has the same issue it would be nice to hear.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 16 Aug 2017 08:34

I cannot reproduce that.
Do you have write permissions on .config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xsettings.xml ?

SolydXK needs you!

gazza

Postby gazza » 16 Aug 2017 08:59

Schoelje wrote:I cannot reproduce that.
Do you have write permissions on .config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xsettings.xml ?

Yes, and it shows

<property name="FontName" type="string" value="Clear Sans 15"/>

which was my last setting change. As I wrote, when I boot it's 11point or whatever the default is. I open the settings and see 16, you have to click on it, the popup shows 16 in the box, but clicking "ok" does not apply the 16, you have to change it to 15(or anything) and click "OK" and then do the same for 16 if you want 16 for that session.

On the next boot, it is back to a default small font size again and still shows 16 in the settings. This is a fresh install , not an upgrade. At this stage Stretch needs a lot of work before I'd use it as a main desktop. I'm guessing this issue will be resolved soon enough..

gazza

Postby gazza » 18 Aug 2017 01:30

Sorry for the clutter. I finally got around to identifying the "Appearance -> font" issue I had.

If I install nvidia-driver reboot and make a font change, it only lasts till the next boot where it defaults back to factory settings.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 18 Aug 2017 06:38

@gazza
Does a new user have the same problem on that machine?

SolydXK needs you!

gazza

Postby gazza » 27 Aug 2017 02:16

Schoelje wrote:@gazza
Does a new user have the same problem on that machine?

No, I made a new user and they have no issues with font settings even though the nvidia-driver is installed.

Whereas the original installed user still looses font setting every time you log out/in. So something screwed up the main user when installing the nvidia-driver.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 27 Aug 2017 09:02

I suspect it's the old configuration that's causing these problems.

You could setup the new user to your liking and then backup your .config directory and copy the .config directory of the new user to your home directory.
Something like:

mv ~/.config ~/config.bak
sudo cp -v /home/newuser/.config ~/
sudo chown -R myaccount:myaccount ~/.config

logout/login and check the font rendering.
If things go wrong you can always return to the old situation by replacing ~/.config with ~/config.bak.

SolydXK needs you!

gazza

Postby gazza » 27 Aug 2017 23:03

I used ~/.config/xfce4 instead of the entire .config directory

The result was that my main user can now change the font and it sticks between logins.

A later test of moving the xfce4-bup directory back to xfce4, has the main user able to retain the font settings. I'll have to do a fresh install and nvidia-driver install in order to get the issue to test more some other time.

:oops: No idea what happened this time, I couldn't reproduce it. I installed the nvidia-driver only, rebooted and the font was retained.

I do note that 16pt on a fresh install is twice the size of what 16pt is when nvidia-driver is installed. But that was not the issue. I do have a script that installs a few dozen apps and does a basic setup for me on fresh installs. The issue must be somewhere in there, yet running that script after the nvidia-driver caused no issue with the font. Running it before does.

Way too many variables for me to track down this issue. Sorry I couldn't solve it. Should someone else get this issue, I was going to see if just deleting ~/.config/xfce4 and logout/in would clear up the issue, but was unable to reproduce it this time.

pastor3141

Postby pastor3141 » 30 Aug 2017 00:11

Upgrade to stretch is disappointing
Lost several programs I use frequently and networking shares went into limbo
I put the blame on debian stretch.
However I thought this distro was rolling?
I will wait a few months and try again.
Meanwhile I will look at antegeros again as it worked perfectly for me before and no catastrophic dist-upgrade.
Debian testing has always been too fault ridden for me to tolerate.
Solydx is my favourite distro in the last 9 years and I may just stop it at jessie and use my offline repository for a few years.
firefox I use appimage to get the latest and unless I change hardware why update?

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 30 Aug 2017 12:52

Reading between the lines of Pastors post updating an existing system to Solydk9 is a system reload and not a change in the addresses of the repositries.
As he clearly describes it is not a rolling release.

My existing 'stable' system uses Mysql solydxk9 uses mariadb and whilst mariadb may well be interchangeable with mysql when it is running this does not help if the software is looking for mysql.

What will happen if I only change the sources.list?

martin welsh

ilu

Postby ilu » 30 Aug 2017 14:54

Mariadb identifies itself as mysql, no worries there. I haven't had any problems using maria where mysql was required (unlike postgresql which is usually not interchangeable). Check in a virtual machine if you want to be sure and dump your databases before upgrading (for extra safety, not just backup). I would not recommend using mysql, at least not on a server. The original developer left mysql and forked mariadb. Check with https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/MySQL for more info.

Regarding upgrading or not: You don't need to upgrade for another year. If you are expecting hardware replacements in that time frame (as I do) stick with jessie.
Several programs will get lost during the upgrade. I think we had a list somewhere, I remember virtualbox whose replacement will need some work. Samba afaik just needs reconfiguring. This is nothing SolydXK can control, the decisions were made upstream.
You can't just change sources.list. If it were that easy schoelje and grizzler wouldn't have invested their time into developing those scripts. Have a look at the source code and see what they do - you could do that manually if you prefer but it will require some knowledge (and, really, why?). https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/amd64/release-notes/ch-about.en.html has a lot of useful info.

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 31 Aug 2017 14:25

Mysql and Mariadb are different but similar programmes.
If I carry out a Solydxk9 conversion I will have to reload several personal programmes some of which use Autotools installation techniques.
The ./configure, stage one in the programme installation operation, has never heard of mariadb.
Fiddling about with Synaptic indicates that mysql is now 'personna non grata' hence the hope that I could just change the repositories.
Perhaps I will try purging mariadb ond load mysql using autotools code and not .debs

martin welsh

Return to “News & Anouncements”