SolydX RPI for the Raspberry PI 3

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Schoelje
Site Admin

SolydX RPI for the Raspberry PI 3

Postby Schoelje » 04 Mar 2016 18:24

A few days ago I received the new Raspberry PI3 and soon found out that the current SolydX RPI2 did not boot on the Raspberry PI3.

I downloaded the latest Raspbian and adapted that for SolydX. This version works on both the Raspberry PI2 and the Raspberry PI3. Still, like the previous version it won't work on the Raspberry PI1.

There are a few things left I'd like to improve and I'd like your help solving or improving those. If you have a spare RPI2 or even RPI3 and you find a (better) solution for these issues, please let me know:

• Webkit changes the mouse cursor to the default mouse cursor. This happens with the SolydXK Welcome Screen and the default browser Epiphany when you hover over the loaded HTML page. I haven't found any solution for this issue.
  • Audio and Video are not synchronized in VLC. I had to increase the audio by 800 milliseconds in VLC to get it synchronized but somehow it doesn't feel like a proper solution.
  • Raspbian builds packages especially for the Raspberry PI. Does anybody know if, and how, it is possible to replace those packages with Debian pure packages?

You can download the image here: https://solydxk.com/downloads/solydx-rpi/

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Re: New SolydX RPI for the Raspberry PI 3

Postby ilu » 12 Mar 2016 15:28

Since I have only a RaspPi 1 I can't help. Maybe have a look at http://www.armbian.com/download/? Igor figured out how to do that for his distros but he is working for all the other platforms not for the RaspPi. He has his build scripts here https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib.
His distros works quite well and he is a knowledgable and very helpful guy. I'm using his system on my Banana.

ilu

Postby ilu » 08 Mar 2017 23:48

I saw that someone adapted SolydXRPi for multibooting with BootBerry: http://berryboot.alexgoldcheidt.com/images/
Or maybe there wasn't anything to adapt? I'm not sure I just read that BerryBoot multiboots using chroot, which means one kernel for everything. I'm wondering how this will handle updates?

Edit: Actually, it doesn't - you can replace the images in a rather difficult procedure and it seems that updating the berryboot kernel without reinstall is of no concern to anybody (https://github.com/maxnet/berryboot/issues/371) - I hope people don't hook these things into the internet ... :facepalm: This would explain why DDOSing with IoT became such a sport lately ...

I got me a RPi3 and thought about multibooting LibreElec and SolydX - I hope NOOBS lite does better.

Is SolydX RPi still based on rasbian or is it based on debian as the download page says? Or did I misunderstand what you say here?

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 09 Mar 2017 07:42

It is based on Raspbian (which is based on Debian). I've tried to build it Debian pure but I couldn't get the Debian kernel to boot. It's been a while so I don't know if that has changed but the RPI needs an adapted kernel to be able to boot.

I don't have any experience multibooting the RPI.

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 12 Mar 2017 18:29

Just installed it. Absolutely great.

A hint for people with non-english keyboards: When entering the password "solydxk" note that the "y" might not be where you expect it to be :facepalm:

Now I'm going to investigate manual multiboot using scripts.
NOOBS is as useless as BootBerry is, just for other reasons. It's aimed at people who are afraid of using DiskImager programs and as a result it uses tars instead of partitions.

Any bootmanager suggestions welcome.

ilu

Postby ilu » 12 Mar 2017 21:08

You can localize the system with:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

but the last command needs console-data installed. That package is missing in the image.

For multibooting I will try PINN, a NOOBS derivate. Let's see how that works out.

procount

Postby procount » 20 May 2017 00:24

I am the author of PINN, a NOOBS based multiboot manager.
I am writing this post from my RPi3 using SolydXK after having installed it through PINN.
I created an installation package of SolydXK to do this and will post it up soon when I have solved the following problem....
After having installed SolydXK, on first boot it seems to start the boot process, but then at some point it reboots back into PINN.
When I launch it a second time, it now boots fully to the desktop and seems to work ok.

EDITED:
So it seems this behaviour is normal and typical of many distros that resize the partitions to use the whole of the SD card.
But this is not needed in PINN so I need to remove it. Unfortunately, I can't find where you have hidden the script.
Could someone please enlighten me?

ilu

Postby ilu » 20 May 2017 06:32

Hi procount and welcome to our forums!

Schoelje created the image and I hope he'll come by soon and answer your question.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 20 May 2017 09:30

It's a systemd service: /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/expandrootfs.service

SolydXK needs you!

procount

Postby procount » 20 May 2017 10:24

Aha! Many thanks. :D
(So many different ways to do this! ;) )

procount

Postby procount » 20 May 2017 10:48

Yep. That has sorted it. Thanks.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 20 May 2017 13:11

You're welcome!
Please, post a URL when you're done.

SolydXK needs you!

procount

Postby procount » 24 May 2017 09:04

My post-processing is almost done.
expandfs is removed and I had to replace the RPI firmware with a version that allows autobooting, but it all seems to work nicely in testing.

During installation of each OS, PINN/NOOBS displays a slideshow that highlights features of each OS that the maintainer might like to promote.
Would anyone be willing to create a couple of images (say 1-4) for Solydxk?
Maybe a copy of the SolydXK logo as a backgound image, with some overlaid text highlighting the origins of SolydXK, special features etc
They would need to be in PNG format with a size of 384 pixels wide by 288 pixels high.
If not I may try to create a simple logo type image before I release it. I'll then post the URL for installing SolydXK via PINN (on the RPI)

procount

Postby procount » 24 May 2017 12:22

I created these as a starting point....
Attachments
solydxk_A.png
solydxk_A.png (71.66 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
solydxk_B.png
solydxk_B.png (62.04 KiB) Viewed 1139 times

ilu

Postby ilu » 26 May 2017 12:39

Thank you very much for doing this, including the images. I'll check it out soon, I'm just busy with other projects at the moment, so my rpi is rotting in the corner. :-(

procount

Postby procount » 27 May 2017 10:03

SolydX is now fully included in the latest release of PINN, which offers an easy alternative to installing and multi-booting several OSes on the Raspberry Pi.

Please see the following link for the release announcement of PINN (see v2.4.2a)

Download the PINN installation file from sourceforge or use this direct download link to Pinn-lite.zip (38M download),

freedom

Re: SolydX RPI for the Raspberry PI 3

Postby freedom » 19 Nov 2017 15:35

Can I ask why download link for SolydX RPI is removed?
I know it's discontinued but I would like to have it anyway.
Won't ask for support. Promise! :mrgreen:

Schoelje
Site Admin

Re: SolydX RPI for the Raspberry PI 3

Postby Schoelje » 19 Nov 2017 17:19

The download link is removed from the site because it has been discontinued.
However, you can still download the images and other versions of the ISOs from the downloads server: http://downloads.solydxk.com/

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “News & Anouncements”