[Finished] Migrating server to Europe

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

[Finished] Migrating server to Europe

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 15 Apr 2018 08:52

[9 May 2018]
Today I’ve started migrating the solydxk.com domain to Europe.

This process can take a few days. It is possible that during this time the solydxk.com site will not be available. Do not worry! I’ll probably be working feverishly to get everything in order :)

The following domains were already migrated:
  • forums.solydxk.com can now be visited at forums.solydxk.nl
  • repository.solydxk.com is now provided by repository.solydxk.nl
    Check the “Sources.list” page for further information.
  • downloads.solydxk.com is now downloads.solydxk.nl
    Here you can download the ISOs even if the solydxk.com site is off-line.
The main site will be completely new and although it will still be very recognizable as SolydXK, this site will no longer automatically post to the social media or send messages to subscribers of the news blog. This means that I will not be able to announce the availability of the new solydxk.com site. So, check in once in a while on the solydxk.com domain or visit our forum.

[Edit 15-5-2018]
I just received notice of my ISP that the migration of the solydxk.com domain will take place in five days on May 20, 2018.

For further information regarding the other solydxk.com domains I refer to my previous post on May 9: https://solydxk.com/migrating-solydxk-com/

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Migrating server to Europe

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 17 Apr 2018 07:12

17-4-2018 9:11: the forum has been migrated and upgraded to the latest phpBB version (3.2).

I plan to release the main site in the first week of May. Provided that there are no major problems with the new server and this forum.

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 17 Apr 2018 12:31

Thank you that you got around to doing this!

Only drawback: It will take some time to get used to not calling you schoelje anymore .... :D

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 17 Apr 2018 19:52

Arjen Balfoort wrote: Provided that there are no major problems with the new server and this forum.
I noticed that I did not get an email-notification upon replies to my topic about apt-transport-https earlier today.
In the 'Edit notification options' in my profile are two columns called Notifications, left one is checked, right one is not.
While previewing this post, I notice that it doesn't show who I'm quoting.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 18 Apr 2018 04:58

After a migration you should check the SMTP server settings... :oops:
That seems fixed now.

The named quote thing I don't know. I'll have to google that. Perhaps a "feature" that comes with the upgrade.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 18 Apr 2018 06:40

bas_otten wrote:
17 Apr 2018 19:52
While previewing this post, I notice that it doesn't show who I'm quoting.
Fixed too!

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 18 Apr 2018 11:09

Our repository (repository.solydxk.com) is currently being redirected to the new repository (repository.solydxk.nl).

To make sure that all users are going to use the new repository, I’ve adapted the solydxk-system package. It will install the package apt-transport-https and change the repository.solydxk.com url in /etc/apt/sources.list to https://repository.solydxk.nl (note the https instead of http).

If you encounter any problems with this change, please post your problem here.

SolydXK needs you!

sdibaja

Postby sdibaja » 18 Apr 2018 13:47

off topic a bit. What are the advantages to using a European based ISP vs US based, or any other?
thanks
Peter E

ilu

Postby ilu » 18 Apr 2018 16:59

I'm not going to elaborate on all my concerns about the disturbing US policy towards non-US citizens and their non-existing rights.

Just this: GDPR. Arjen as a european legal entity is not allowed to store user data on US servers starting May 25th without a lot of extra caveats. Easiest way to avoid those caveats: keep everything in Europe.

sdibaja

Postby sdibaja » 18 Apr 2018 17:20

ilu wrote:
18 Apr 2018 16:59
I'm not going to elaborate on all my concerns about the disturbing US policy towards non-US citizens and their non-existing rights.

Just this: GDPR. Arjen as a european legal entity is not allowed to store user data on US servers starting May 25th without a lot of extra caveats. Easiest way to avoid those caveats: keep everything in Europe.
Thanks, I suspected as much... USA is insecure on a whole (not that I trust Europe all that much either)
but I also thought it may be driven by Cost. You folks pay a ton!
Peter E

ilu

Postby ilu » 19 Apr 2018 15:10

If you are interested, search for "Cloud Act". And the EU commission is already considering an international treaty with the US ...

Let's hope the EU parliament will protect us from this evil ... or the European Court as a last resort. @All european citizens here: please remember which parties protect our digital freedom and which do not when you are called to vote in 2019.

nuts2u

Postby nuts2u » 20 Apr 2018 16:42

I'm in the United States and I agree with Ilu on this matter. Our government is slowly taking away our privacy rights while the EU is granting more privacy rights to it citizens. Very strange would we live in now. It is for this reason I use a VPN service and I would highly recommend anyone else worried about privacy issue or government snooping to subscribe to a VPN service. I will not mention the name of the VPN service I use as I believe it is against board rules to promote companies publicly. However if anyone sends me a private message I will be glad to share the details of the VPN company I use and highly recommend.

Liberalism is the art of standing on your head,
then telling everyone around you that they're upside-down.

sdibaja

Postby sdibaja » 20 Apr 2018 17:26

I am US born but I emigrated more than a decade ago, for other reasons.
The trends over the last couple decades reinforce my conviction to not ever return to live or work. We cross for only light shopping and to visit friends and family.
I am very thankful for the privacy we have here in Mexico, and also not being involved in international conquest.

PS: @nuts2u I will if I can figure out how to get a PM to you. I have never used a VPN but it would be handy... there are several things that are blocked from us by the USA (ready access when I visit).
Peter E

ilu

Postby ilu » 20 Apr 2018 19:26

sdibaja: click on his name and then use the "PM" link under "Contact nuts2u".

sdibaja

Postby sdibaja » 20 Apr 2018 20:54

ilu wrote:
20 Apr 2018 19:26
sdibaja: click on his name and then use the "PM" link under "Contact nuts2u".
thanks, found it.

BTW: this just hit my feed: it may be of interest, yet another point of view.
https://www.cringely.com/2018/04/20/15514/
Peter E

nuts2u

Postby nuts2u » 21 Apr 2018 16:28

I followed Ilu suggestion and read about the Cloud Act. The VPN I use is not based in the USA, but in Panama, where the US has no legal jurisdiction at all. Plus this company has a strict "no log" policy. This means if the US Gov were to somehow enforce a warrant on this company, they would say OK we have no logs of any kind so we have nothing to turn over. I am doing nothing illegal, I just do not want anyone snooping on what I watch, where I surf the web, any activities my wife or I do on the Internet period.

Liberalism is the art of standing on your head,
then telling everyone around you that they're upside-down.

sdibaja

Postby sdibaja » 21 Apr 2018 16:57

nuts2u wrote:
21 Apr 2018 16:28
I followed Ilu suggestion and read about the Cloud Act. The VPN I use is not based in the USA, but in Panama, where the US has no legal jurisdiction at all. Plus this company has a strict "no log" policy. This means if the US Gov were to somehow enforce a warrant on this company, they would say OK we have no logs of any kind so we have nothing to turn over. I am doing nothing illegal, I just do not want anyone snooping on what I watch, where I surf the web, any activities my wife or I do on the Internet period.
sounds good.

Panama? I am suspicious. Isn't Panama one of those US colonies, territories, or something like that? I know the Canal Zone was kinda distinct, but from my visits a decade ago it was Very America (gallons, miles, dollars, etc. and a huge expat community), outside the Canal Zone it was the same.
Peter E

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 22 Apr 2018 04:39

Hello
Just to make sure that I'm 100% on this in the future the address typed into duckduckgo or anywhere will be "solydxk.nl " is that a yes ?

I'm working on some wallpapers and every time I think it's all good it seems I change another small detail , I've built them from scratch with strong emphases on the original design and just keep finding little tweaks to improve the look and tried to retain the original feel character hopefully .

ilu

Postby ilu » 22 Apr 2018 12:38

Most probably the old domain SolydXK.com will still have its uses. The homepage has not been migrated yet and the GDPR demand adjustments. The server will be european but both domains might be used. This is difficult legalese stuff. So not sure yet.

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 23 Apr 2018 05:49

OK Thanks ilu
I'm still a ways off finishing so I'll just keep working with Gimp doing the wallpapers, the text I can easily change at any part as every section/part of the wallpapers is a separate layer on its own also that layer is copied to being another part of the main image each very interchangeable the layer and then that

Think I'll stop now,
your welcome .

Return to “News & Anouncements”