UP 2013.09.06 06:00 UTC [PRODUCTION] [DONE]

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Leaphorn

Re: UP 2013.09.06 06:00 UTC [PRODUCTION]

Postby Leaphorn » 13 Sep 2013 10:06

Heya all,

thanks for the UP pack.

I'm running SolydX. However, I'm a gnome guy so have gnome-session and gnome-shell (plus associated packages) installed. My "SolydG" runs very nicely. :)
When asking UpdateManager to install the UP package, it wants to remove gnome-session etc. As far as I remember, I can't run gnome-shell without gnome-session, so I don't want that. What is there to do?

Thanks!

PS: I noticed, many gnome packages are still 3.4 (including gnome-shell). Is there any chance 3.8 will become available?
Attachments
Update.jpg
Update.jpg (42.35 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
Dell Latitude E6230 with Intel i7, 8GB RAM, 500 GB SSD
dual boot 64bit: LMDE (kernel 3.10) and SolydX (with gnome-shell)
surviving in a Windows world with VMware WS 9 and Crossover 12

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Sep 2013 10:14

For obvious reasons we haven't been testing gnome dependencies.
I don't know about any future gnome versions: it's outside our scope for these same reasons.

Before you decide to upgrade I recommend you first create an image of your system (with CloneZilla).

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Sep 2013 10:16

I uploaded a minor (very minor) update of the Update Manager.
It now checks the integrity of the up.hist file before writing the new UP version to that file.
That would come in handy with future UP's.

SolydXK needs you!

cristy78

Postby cristy78 » 13 Sep 2013 11:01

SolydK.....So far ...so good !!!
I did the update. everything went smooth so far.
I feel the sound also improved ( I had some small issues before).

Now testing. I will revert if problems occur.
Thanks Solyd Team

TeaSwigger

Postby TeaSwigger » 13 Sep 2013 11:31

Unfortunately, the update has gone rather badly on both my PC and the install on my sisters' PC. :? KDE won't load (to get online I'm using fluxbox, which is working ok). After the splash sticks around a while, a load of bug crash notices (for seemingly everything) come up instead of the desktop. In fluxbox, some KDE apps work and some (Dolphin, Gwenview) don't. No idea what's wrong. I tried a new user in case it was user config, but no joy.
"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright" -Bill Withers

SolydK 64-bit - AMD Quad Core - 4GB RAM - accursed NVIDIA GeForce 5800 graphics - lovely ASUS Xonar Essence ST sound

GeneC

Postby GeneC » 13 Sep 2013 11:40

Leaphorn wrote:Heya all,

thanks for the UP pack.

I'm running SolydX. However, I'm a gnome guy so have gnome-session and gnome-shell (plus associated packages) installed. My "SolydG" runs very nicely. :)
When asking UpdateManager to install the UP package, it wants to remove gnome-session etc. As far as I remember, I can't run gnome-shell without gnome-session, so I don't want that. What is there to do? Thanks!
Hmmm... :? I am running a partition with LMDE Gnome Shell 3.4 tracking Debian SID with no big issues (just some themeing gtk3 issues -- limited themes you can use.).. Dont know why the SolydXK repos snapshot wants to remove gnome-shell. I am guessing the snapshot took place just at a time when not all gnome-shell dependencies were available.
What to do?
Personally I would just do the upgrade and let gnome-shell uninstall.(Assuming you have a backup DE such as XFCE to boot to ?). I'd note which packages were removed. I would enable Debian Testing repos and re-install gnome-shell, THEN revert to SolydXK repos again..
Not an elegant solution, :? .. but as Schoelje says Gnome-Shell is not a focus here... ;)
Personally I like it fine..

PS.. And Yes, make a clone first....

PS: I noticed, many gnome packages are still 3.4 (including gnome-shell). Is there any chance 3.8 will become available?
Not any time soon. 3.8 is still in Debian Experimental and has been for a LONG time. MY LMDE tracking SID is still at 3.4.
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Sep 2013 11:48

TeaSwigger wrote:Unfortunately, the update has gone rather badly on both my PC and the install on my sisters' PC. :? KDE won't load (to get online I'm using fluxbox, which is working ok). After the splash sticks around a while, a load of bug crash notices (for seemingly everything) come up instead of the desktop. In fluxbox, some KDE apps work and some (Dolphin, Gwenview) don't. No idea what's wrong. I tried a new user in case it was user config, but no joy.
I don't know what systems you have, but I had a user having problems with the PAE kernel and Plymouth:
http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1436
Perhaps you can try to disable Plymouth for your kernel as mentioned in my post there.

SolydXK needs you!

TeaSwigger

Postby TeaSwigger » 13 Sep 2013 12:07

Schoelje wrote:
TeaSwigger wrote:Unfortunately, the update has gone rather badly on both my PC and the install on my sisters' PC. :? KDE won't load (to get online I'm using fluxbox, which is working ok). After the splash sticks around a while, a load of bug crash notices (for seemingly everything) come up instead of the desktop. In fluxbox, some KDE apps work and some (Dolphin, Gwenview) don't. No idea what's wrong. I tried a new user in case it was user config, but no joy.
I don't know what systems you have, but I had a user having problems with the PAE kernel and Plymouth:
http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1436
Perhaps you can try to disable Plymouth for your kernel as mentioned in my post there.
Plymouth is already disabled on my PC as it (Plymouth) has never worked (64-bit AMD quad core) and Plymouth seems to be working fine on my sis' PC (64-bit Intel dual core). It's after logging in to a KDE desktop session at KDM that the train wrecks. To be clear: the kernel is loading, X is loading, KDM loads, the fluxbox desktop loads; using them in fluxbox, some KDE apps work and some don't.

SolydK 64-bit - AMD Quad Core - 4GB RAM - accursed NVIDIA GeForce 5800 graphics - lovely ASUS Xonar Essence ST sound

excollier

Postby excollier » 13 Sep 2013 12:09

So, in the interest of absolute clarity, is it recommended to update now?
Edit: I see the answer is yes

Leaphorn

Postby Leaphorn » 13 Sep 2013 12:16

GeneC wrote: Hmmm... :? I am running a partition with LMDE Gnome Shell 3.4 tracking Debian SID with no big issues (just some themeing gtk3 issues -- limited themes you can use.).. Dont know why the SolydXK repos snapshot wants to remove gnome-shell. I am guessing the snapshot took place just at a time when not all gnome-shell dependencies were available.
What to do?
Personally I would just do the upgrade and let gnome-shell uninstall.(Assuming you have a backup DE such as XFCE to boot to ?). I'd note which packages were removed. I would enable Debian Testing repos and re-install gnome-shell, THEN revert to SolydXK repos again..
Not an elegant solution, :? .. but as Schoelje says Gnome-Shell is not a focus here... ;)
Personally I like it fine..

PS.. And Yes, make a clone first....

I thought along the same line after Schoelje's reply. And, yes, I realize Gnome is not a supported DE, just thought ... :)
Maybe I find some to to with it (after making an image:). I'll report back on success or failure.

Thanks and cheers,

Riko

escolar

Postby escolar » 13 Sep 2013 12:18

Leaphorn wrote:Heya all,

thanks for the UP pack.

When asking UpdateManager to install the UP package, it wants to remove gnome-session etc. As far as I remember, I can't run gnome-shell without gnome-session, so I don't want that. What is there to do?

Thanks!

I use Gnome and Gnome-shell and after updating all extensions are working perfectly

TeaSwigger

Postby TeaSwigger » 13 Sep 2013 12:45

It is really weird to have similar problems with it on two different PCs when it seems to be working for everyone else! While I would be happy to troubleshoot if I had a box just to test it on, these PCs do need to work. I really like this SolydK concept and I'm sure a lot of hard work has gone into it. In fact I was running Schoelje's first LMDE KDE and followed along to this. So before resorting to another distro I'm going to try downloading a fresh (64bit SolydK) ISO and install again from scratch. Whatever happens, I'll post an update.

Leaphorn

Postby Leaphorn » 13 Sep 2013 13:57

Leaphorn wrote: I thought along the same line after Schoelje's reply. And, yes, I realize Gnome is not a supported DE, just thought ... :)
Maybe I find some to to with it (after making an image:). I'll report back on success or failure.
Well, actually no reason to fiddle with the repos and use the debian to get gnome-shell. The regular update path worked just fine. Don't know though, why update-manager said it would remove gnome-session. It didn't. Update is done, system is rebooted into the 3.10 kernel, no updates pending but gnome-session is still there, and "SolydG" is running as smooth as before :)

MAybe, since I have the image, I try to get gnome3.8 from experimental .... :lol:

Thanks and cheers!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Sep 2013 14:04

@TeaSwigger
I recommend you make a new topic for your issue.

SolydXK needs you!

dhave

Postby dhave » 13 Sep 2013 15:45

escolar wrote:I update my system, a Solydx with gnome-shell + some extensions. It was fast to download updates.
The only problem was nvidia module didn't update correctly and X didn't start after reboot.
After a short Google search I did:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-kernel-common
sudo apt-get-install nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-xconfig
sudo reboot
Similar problem here, but the fix didn't work. I can't manage to update nvidia-kernel-dkms. I get this message:

Code: Select all

dpkg: error processing nvidia-kernel-dkms (--configure):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting configuration.
BTW, escolar, there's a stray hyphen in one of your command strings. It should be "sudo apt-get install ...", I believe.

ajpat3

Re: SolydK users: do not upgrade! [SOLVED more or less]

Postby ajpat3 » 13 Sep 2013 15:50

Upgraded SolydX today, everything went well . Thank you everyone.

dhave

Postby dhave » 13 Sep 2013 16:12

Even though the updater shows that the system is updated (SolydX) with 2013.09.06 update pack applied, "uname -a" shows the kernel running is actually 3.9.8-1, not 3.10-2. I assume this is related to the nvidia module problem cited above, but I'm a noob when it comes to Debian and its derivatives.

realityDroid

Postby realityDroid » 13 Sep 2013 16:19

Finished the update this morning on SolydK. Seems to work absolutely perfectly. Thanks guys for doing such a great job! :D

I'll let ya'll know how well my SolydX machine works with the updates.
Read my full signature, it's too long for this forum:

http://realitydroid.net/Signature.txt

Leaphorn

Postby Leaphorn » 13 Sep 2013 16:20

dhave wrote:Even though the updater shows that the system is updated (SolydX) with 2013.09.06 update pack applied, "uname -a" shows the kernel running is actually 3.9.8-1, not 3.10-2. I assume this is related to the nvidia module problem cited above, but I'm a noob when it comes to Debian and its derivatives.

Did you reboot your system? The kernel cannot be replaced in-situ. When restarting your system, you will get a selection of (at least) 2 kernels to boot 3.9 and 3.10 with 3.10 being the new default.

Cheers!

escolar

Postby escolar » 13 Sep 2013 16:44

dhave wrote: BTW, escolar, there's a stray hyphen in one of your command strings. It should be "sudo apt-get install ...", I believe.
I have edited it. Thanks

Return to “News & Anouncements”