Annual Report 2013

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Annual Report 2013

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Jan 2014 16:40

It was a turbulent year, and it was dedicated to the start up of our Linux Distribution.
This deserves a moment to look back, and look at what we have achieved together.

This is our first Annual Report.
You can download it here: download pdf

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Orbmiser

Re: Annual Report 2013

Postby Orbmiser » 01 Jan 2014 18:54

Thanks for the heads up and hope to see those columns rise for supporters & sponsors.
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 01 Jan 2014 21:15

Very interesting. Thank you for posting. I'm not surprised to see the Business Edition as low as it is. It was pretty late in the year when it was developed. Also it has not had much marketing.

I agree that more marketing needs to be done for the Business Edition. I would start with updating the info at Distrowatch. http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=solydxk After the bullet point for 'Based on' it should reference Debian Testing and Debian Stable. In the description paragraph, it should discuss that the 'Home' editions are based on Debian Testing and get quartly updates and that the Business Edition is based on Debian Stable and gets security updates.

dyfi

Postby dyfi » 02 Jan 2014 07:02

Impressive beginings with a nice professional overview. Thanks for this Schoelje.

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 02 Jan 2014 13:41

Thanks for the report. I am sure that many people carry out an annual review but very few put them up for public scrutiny.

From my own point of view I came to you from Mint LMDE after an update failure and I have been here ever since. This would have been about the same time that you separated from Mint.

When BE became available I opted for this edition because it would be stable, maintained and, as it has turned out, idiot proof.
It has not disappointed.

Please keep up the good work and thank all of your support team for the hidden contributions that they make.

A happy and prosperous New Year to you all.

martin welsh

PRafael

Postby PRafael » 02 Jan 2014 14:10

Great Report... Your team is really "business orienteded" :geek: and should focus on SolydXK BE. :idea:

Great job and great distro... I came here from :arrow: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, NetRunner and I intent to stay with SolidK as long as you stay with Debian.

I wish you and your time all the best, an excellent 2014... and I will look forward for the next Business Report! :mrgreen:

Paulo

EeePC 1011PX - 1Gb RAM - 320Gb HDU - SolidK 32 bit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

CjTX2

Postby CjTX2 » 02 Jan 2014 17:12

As you say, what a year!

When I first followed from Mint, I was looking for a distro that would just boot my outdated equipment and buy me enough time to scrape together something newer. :roll:

Then I found that SolydX not only booted :shock: , but rejuvinated and infused enough life into the old to feel newer. :D

Now I am excited to get really new so I can showcase SolydXK and fly. :lol:

Thank you for the annual report. I am so glad you have the statistics to show the true numbers for the site. I have been here from early on and have watched it grow, but I was not aware of the true volume and diversity of interest in the distro. Congratulations to the team and cheers for the new year!

Building new machine named Garfield II & still using an old T42 Thinkpad that's old and slow, but just keeps on going and going . . . sorta like me! :lol:

Juanmi

Postby Juanmi » 04 Jan 2014 08:21

Thanks to your whole team. Your work is almost perfect,so perfect as can be a work based on such moving development of free software. Congratulations. You made the best linux distro.
At this point I would like to contribute with a small idea: It is necessary to offer only 1 Business Edition, but not 2 (Back Office and Business Edition) because it becomes a confusion. If I ask for a CocaCola and someone ask me "Light, Zero, caffeine-free? problably I will end the conversation with "a Pepsi, please..." It is my opinion. :)

Happy New Year to all people...

Juanmi

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 04 Jan 2014 09:02

Juanmi wrote:Thanks to your whole team. Your work is almost perfect,so perfect as can be a work based on such moving development of free software. Congratulations. You made the best linux distro.
At this point I would like to contribute with a small idea: It is necessary to offer only 1 Business Edition, but not 2 (Back Office and Business Edition) because it becomes a confusion. If I ask for a CocaCola and someone ask me "Light, Zero, caffeine-free? problably I will end the conversation with "a Pepsi, please..." It is my opinion. :)

Happy New Year to all people...

Juanmi
The difference between the two are clearly described in their respective product pages.
To follow your analogy: one is CocaCola, the other Espresso. Both a beverage, but not the same.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Juanmi

Postby Juanmi » 04 Jan 2014 09:17

Schoelje:

I respect but I disagree. Both BE and BO are not enough different in my opinion. Thanks for reply.

Juanmi

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Jan 2014 01:28

That was a good report considering how new SolydXK is. It shows a good start and hope for the future. I think it's big break so to speak will be in the Business field. I can agree to that.

I have some thoughts though on the concentration on the Business editions and the update process but I'll address that in another topic elsewhere in the forum.

I want to say congratulations to getting off to a good start and may the New Year bring SolydXK more into the limelight. I've already mentioned SolydXK to my boss (who's more of a "Windows" person) and several of my friends.

We'll see what the New Year brings!

Thank you Schoelje and SolydXK team for a great distribution. Keep up the great work!

Suggestion for advertising: Kickstarter fund drive?? Or had that been done already?

eselma

Postby eselma » 13 Jan 2014 17:15

Juanmi wrote:Schoelje:
I respect but I disagree. Both BE and BO are not enough different in my opinion. Thanks for reply.
Yes, they are different enough. I am a happy user of the so-called "Business Edition", but I am an individual, not running any business. For me, this is "Stable Edition". I do not need the bunch of applications intended for the real business that are included in the "BackOffice". May be the naming in not so clear for everybody, but as a long time user of Debian Stable, this makes the difference for me.

Juanmi

Postby Juanmi » 14 Jan 2014 04:47

eselma wrote:
Juanmi wrote:Schoelje:
Yes, they are different enough. I am a happy user of the so-called "Business Edition", but I am an individual, not running any business. For me, this is "Stable Edition". I do not need the bunch of applications intended for the real business that are included in the "BackOffice". May be the naming in not so clear for everybody, but as a long time user of Debian Stable, this makes the difference for me.
"Business" editon but no business apps preinstalled. Then, why "business edition"? You answer yourself: "stable edition". Marketingly speaking... regular SolydXK is not stable? I think is enough one BE with a simple menu entry or script to install that Back Office specific apps.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 14 Jan 2014 06:18

I think they are just starting out and they are off to a good start. I think all editions will get developed more and have more pre-installed (at least that's my own personal assumption). We'll just have to wait and see, and giving some input on what you'd like to see in any one edition may also be helpful.

Return to “News & Anouncements”