UP 2014.01.15 [PRODUCTION] [DONE]

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
stelios

Re: UP 2014.01.15 [PRODUCTION]

Postby stelios » 17 Jan 2014 05:27

igor83 wrote:
things every 15-20 minutes or so. Not a fully "automatic" type update as in Windows.
Windows are not a rolling release. You can update windows7 as much as you want, you will never get windows 8 :D

Windows are a "frozen" release, just like Ubuntu. Just patches and fixes and some times, perhaps, a major update, like an update pack. Pretty easy stuff. So the two are not comparable. Windows would probably explode if they a got a head to nails major upgrade every one, two or three months, which is what is done here. ;)

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 17 Jan 2014 10:18

ScoobyDan wrote:Hi,

I don't know if this should be posted here, or as a separate thread...

Since installing the UP 2014.01.15 yesterday, I am unable to mount any SD/MMC cards inserted into my card reader, unless they are inserted before the computer is powered on. My external (USB) HDD mounts no problem, but a SD card inserted into a USB adapter will not be seen by the system - they do not appear in the Device Notifier tray icon or anywhere within the file system (such as under '/dev'). If I insert the card before booting the computer, it can be accessed until it is removed - upon re-inserting it, the card is not seen.

The only issue I had during the UP process was the '/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.17-97_amd64.deb' error mentioned previously, easily corrected by 'sudo apt-get install -f' followed by restarting the UP process.

Any ideas?

Daniel
SolydK 64-bit
UP 2014.01.15
Hi Daniel
we had for some time reports that automounting of optical media was no working as it was supposed but mass-storage devices were;
somehow now it got worst, they are both MIA.
Ideally we should after the "dust" settles a bit more in this UP migration start looking into that.
here are some links (there's more in the forum and outside, it's just a starting point)
http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1227
http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... hilit=udev
bliss of ignorance

igor83

Postby igor83 » 17 Jan 2014 13:49

stelios wrote:
igor83 wrote:
things every 15-20 minutes or so. Not a fully "automatic" type update as in Windows.
Windows are not a rolling release. You can update windows7 as much as you want, you will never get windows 8 :D

Windows are a "frozen" release, just like Ubuntu. Just patches and fixes and some times, perhaps, a major update, like an update pack. Pretty easy stuff. So the two are not comparable. Windows would probably explode if they a got a head to nails major upgrade every one, two or three months, which is what is done here. ;)
Yeah I regretted that bit after I posted the message because it seemed negative. Also, Windows does not offer application updates except for MS products. BTW the quarterly change has not taken effect yet. That's next time. I guess around April 15th, tax time. I'll tune in then and see whether there's anything I should be aware of. I think it's a good thing that updates are going quarterly instead of monthly though, good both for developers and users.
~ My blog is where I write about random things that occur to me ~

tzirconia

Postby tzirconia » 17 Jan 2014 17:48

Update went smoothly for my SolydX 64 production system.
Thanks for all the work on this UP!
Cheers,
tzirconia

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 17 Jan 2014 18:32

zerozero wrote:
ScoobyDan wrote:Hi,

I don't know if this should be posted here, or as a separate thread...

Since installing the UP 2014.01.15 yesterday for SolydK. I am unable to mount any SD/MMC cards inserted into my card reader, unless they are inserted before the computer is powered on. My external (USB) HDD mounts no problem, but a SD card inserted into a USB adapter will not be seen by the system - they do not appear in the Device Notifier tray icon or anywhere within the file system (such as under '/dev'). If I insert the card before booting the computer, it can be accessed until it is removed - upon re-inserting it, the card is not seen.

The only issue I had during the UP process was the '/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.17-97_amd64.deb' error mentioned previously, easily corrected by 'sudo apt-get install -f' followed by restarting the UP process.

Any ideas?

Daniel
SolydK 64-bit
UP 2014.01.15
Hi Daniel
we had for some time reports that automounting of optical media was no working as it was supposed but mass-storage devices were;
somehow now it got worst, they are both MIA.
Ideally we should after the "dust" settles a bit more in this UP migration start looking into that.
here are some links (there's more in the forum and outside, it's just a starting point)
http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1227
http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... hilit=udev
Yep just checked after latest 1/15/14 update. Also same issue about SD cards and Optical DVD drive not showing.
As have a internal multi-card reader. That shows up in bios during polling of devices and reserved letters in Windows even when empty.

Was working before update now no SD card or DVD drive with disc in shown or mounted. Tho old entry in System settings>Removable devices shows the old entry Nikon D90 to automount when attached. Same SD card same slot. No Go

But Sansa Mp3 player and Nook Color Tablet attach and mount just fine.

Does show them when booting up with dvd in drive and SD card attached
Devices.jpeg
Devices.jpeg (8.32 KiB) Viewed 3826 times
But once you unmount them or safely remove them they will not come back on re-insertion.
Again no problems with multiple connect or disconnect with Nook Color Tablet or Sansa Mp3 player.
Or the permanently attached Usb Drives.
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 18 Jan 2014 21:52

Haven't heard back if anybody else having issues with DVD drive or SD cards not showing up in Dolphin?
Post Above this shows issue.

Wondering if it has something to do with this?
Can't access or eject (some) USB storage after UP 7 [SOLVED]
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... aee6621d55

As one of the post in that thread have a couple of Debian bugs that may have something to do with gvfs?

And another question: When I can get a CD to mount it shows up in /media/orbmiser/
not in just /media with other devices.

Is this normal and why the additional home folder in media?
Portfolio
Flickr

stelios

Postby stelios » 19 Jan 2014 02:18

I do not have the problem above and i can not reproduce it. However, could it be that automatic mounting was enabled in system settings when the transition from mounting a new device in /media to /media/username took place? So, perhaps now KDE "remembers" those devices being in /media, looks for them and either finds an empty folder or no folder at all?

That would also explain why devices already present at startup work.

I am just speculating here. But you can test this by going to system settings/removable devices and uncheck automatic mounting, if it is enabled. What is going to happen is that, devices will be recognized, will appear under "places", but they will not be mounted until you click on them. If that solves the problem, then that is what is happening.

I am simply speculating here, since i don't have the problem, so i have no real way to check if i am wrong or not.

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 19 Jan 2014 03:05

Thanks nope but what is weird the DVD drive will mount if I run the Ntfs configuration tool.
Once it runs then the DVD shows up unmounted.

Insert SD card and still no show in devices pane.
Tho have it selected to Automount on Attach.

Update: Rolled back to Jan. 15th before updates.
Devices list normal DVD & SD cards show in device tree when DVD or SD card is inserted.
Clicking on them mounts them and readable.

Update 2: Just did the Jan. update and back to same issue. DVD and SD cards do not populate the device tree in Dolphin.

Wondering if this issue is appropriate for this thread? Should I start my own?
Portfolio
Flickr

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 19 Jan 2014 16:46

Orbmiser wrote:Haven't heard back if anybody else having issues with DVD drive or SD cards not showing up in Dolphin?
Post Above this shows issue.
I just wanted to post to let you know that you're not alone.

I have the same issue with the SD card reader. My laptop has an integrated SDHC card reader. I have such cards (for one of my cameras, doncha know :) ). The reader has always worked. But not since I did this update.

Tail of dmesg:

Code: Select all

[  413.516154] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
[  413.519737] sdhci-pci 0000:07:01.1: Will use DMA mode even though HW doesn't fully claim to support it.
[  415.176122] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
[  415.179703] sdhci-pci 0000:07:01.1: Will use DMA mode even though HW doesn't fully claim to support it.
[  415.268130] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
[  415.272128] sdhci-pci 0000:07:01.1: Will use DMA mode even though HW doesn't fully claim to support it.
[  416.936112] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
[  416.940145] sdhci-pci 0000:07:01.1: Will use DMA mode even though HW doesn't fully claim to support it.
Remove the card and there's no additions to dmesg

The laptop is dual-booted with Win7. The same reader ( 8-) ) and same card results in Win7 mounting the card and being able to read it with no issues.

Time for me to do some research :)
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

wyrdoak

Postby wyrdoak » 19 Jan 2014 17:02

Have you seen Sam's post? It might help. http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2609

Acer Aspire One AO532h; CPU Atom n450 1.66Gh: 2GB RAM, duel boot with Win7: SolydK32

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 19 Jan 2014 17:42

wyrdoak wrote:Have you seen Sam's post? It might help. http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2609
WOW - simple!

I read the thread, installed lshw, read the man page for it (well, I glanced at most of it), ran the command with no arguments (that's a lot of info dumped right there), inserted the SDHC, and ..... wait for it .... it was recognized and I was able t mount it with no issues.

Then, as a test, I unmounted the card, rebooted the computer, inserted the card into the read and .... BAM! ..... recognized.

This was a simple fix. I wonder what was causing the problem. What was missed (messed up) in this last UP. Time for me to do that research I was talking about.
Scott

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 19 Jan 2014 17:51

ScottQuier wrote:This was a simple fix. I wonder what was causing the problem. What was missed (messed up) in this last UP. Time for me to do that research I was talking about.
Please, keep me posted on this one. I even haven't got an SD reader to test it with.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 19 Jan 2014 19:21

Schoelje wrote:
ScottQuier wrote:This was a simple fix. I wonder what was causing the problem. What was missed (messed up) in this last UP. Time for me to do that research I was talking about.
Please, keep me posted on this one. I even haven't got an SD reader to test it with.
Here's what I know
  1. All the below observations are on SolydK machine - no testing has been done on Xfce.
  2. After the UP and before installing lshw, my laptop (specs below) did not even recognize the fact that I inserted the SDHC card.
  3. Installation of lshw did not pull in any additional dependencies. I used the command

apt-cache dependencies lshw
    to determine what dependencies there might be (there were three) and one or more of them were updated with this UP (I searched /var/log/dpkg.log for that information).
  4. After the installation of lshw, insertion of the SDHC card seems to be always recognized, even as the first thing after a system reboot.
  5. After

apt-get remove --purge lshw
    and a system reboot, the SDHC card is still recognized an readily mounted.
  6. Insertion of DVD into drive and closing the drive - the computer recognizes that the disk is inserted and spins up the drive. SolydK - does not recognize the disk. No note made of this even in dmesg.
  7. Remove the DVD, reinstall lshw, reboot, insert DVD, results same as in #6
  8. With the disk still in the drive and the drive closed, run

$ lshw
    and the disk is recognized and made available for mounting.
  9. With the DVD drive open, run lshw and wait for it to finish, close the DVD drive --> disk not recognized by SolydK
  10. Wait for the disk to spin down, with the drive still closed run lshw, now the DVD is recongized and clicking on the device notifier allows the DVD to be mounted.
  11. In Dolphin, release and eject the DVD, open the drive, close the drive --> computer spins up the disk for a moment, SolydK does not acknowledge the event.
  12. Repeating steps in #10 produces the same results - which is a good thing :)

Here is the system specs, the first part is the output from lshw (I thought it might be useful) and at the bottom is the output from "inxi -Fxxx"
scott@asus ~ $ sudo lshw
[sudo] password for scott: 
asus                      
    description: Notebook
    product: G60VX ()
    vendor: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    version: 1.0
    serial: 102804480024
    width: 64 bits
    capabilities: smbios-2.5 dmi-2.5 vsyscall32
    configuration: chassis=notebook uuid=80A5B804-04D9-DE81-3ABA-E0CB4E110348
  *-core
       description: Motherboard
       product: G60VX
       vendor: PEGATRON Corp.
       physical id: 0
       serial: BSN12345678901234567
       slot: MIDDLE
     *-firmware
          description: BIOS
          vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
          version: 205
          date: 08/27/2009
          size: 64KiB
          capacity: 960KiB
          capabilities: isa pci pnp upgrade shadowing escd cdboot bootselect edd int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int17printer int10video acpi usb smartbattery biosbootspecification netboot
     *-cpu
          description: CPU
          product: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8700  @ 2.53GHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 4
          bus info: cpu@0
          version: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz
          serial: PSN12345678901234567
          slot: Socket 478
          size: 2533MHz
          capacity: 2533MHz
          clock: 267MHz
          capabilities: x86-64 fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm ida dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority cpufreq
          configuration: cores=2 enabledcores=2 threads=2
        *-cache:0
             description: L1 cache
             physical id: 5
             slot: L1-Cache
             capacity: 64KiB
             capabilities: internal write-back data
        *-cache:1
             description: L2 cache
             physical id: 7
             slot: L2-Cache
             size: 3MiB
             capacity: 3MiB
             capabilities: internal write-back unified
     *-cache
          description: L1 cache
          physical id: 6
          slot: L1-Cache
          capacity: 64KiB
          capabilities: internal write-back instruction
     *-memory
          description: System Memory
          physical id: 1d
          slot: System board or motherboard
          size: 4GiB
        *-bank:0
             description: SODIMM DDR2 Synchronous 800 MHz (1.2 ns)
             product: N/A
             vendor: N/A
             serial: N/A
             slot: SODIMM0
             size: 2GiB
             clock: 800MHz (1.2ns)
        *-bank:1
             description: SODIMM DDR2 Synchronous 800 MHz (1.2 ns)
             product: N/A
             vendor: N/A
             physical id: 1
             serial: N/A
             slot: SODIMM1
             size: 2GiB
             clock: 800MHz (1.2ns)
     *-pci
          description: Host bridge
          product: Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub
          vendor: Intel Corporation
          physical id: 100
          bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
          version: 07
          width: 32 bits
          clock: 33MHz
        *-pci:0
             description: PCI bridge
             product: Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port
             bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
             version: 07
             capabilities: pci pm msi pciexpress normal_decode bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport
             resources: irq:40 ioport:c000(size=4096) memory:fa000000-fdefffff ioport:d0000000(size=268435456)
           *-display
                description: VGA compatible controller
                product: G92M [GeForce GTX 260M]
                vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
                bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                version: a2
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
                configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
                resources: irq:16 memory:fc000000-fcffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:fa000000-fbffffff ioport:cc00(size=128) memory:fd000000-fd01ffff
        *-usb:0
             description: USB controller
             product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4
             physical id: 1a
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1a.0
             version: 03
             capabilities: uhci bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0
             resources: irq:16 ioport:bc00(size=32)
        *-usb:1
             product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5
             physical id: 1a.1
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1a.1
             resources: irq:21 ioport:b880(size=32)
        *-usb:2
             product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6
             physical id: 1a.2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1a.2
             resources: irq:19 ioport:b800(size=32)
        *-usb:3
             product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2
             physical id: 1a.7
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1a.7
             capabilities: pm debug ehci bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=ehci-pci latency=0
             resources: irq:18 memory:f9fffc00-f9ffffff
        *-multimedia
             description: Audio device
             product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
             physical id: 1b
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
             capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=0
             resources: irq:48 memory:f9ff8000-f9ffbfff
        *-pci:1
             product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1
             physical id: 1c
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.0
             capabilities: pci pciexpress msi pm normal_decode bus_master cap_list
             resources: irq:41
        *-pci:2
             product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2
             physical id: 1c.1
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.1
             resources: irq:42 memory:fdf00000-fdffffff
           *-network
                description: Wireless interface
                product: Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [Condor Peak]
                bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
                logical name: wlan0
                version: 00
                serial: 00:1e:64:84:c8:04
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
                configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=3.11-2-amd64 firmware=39.31.5.1 build 35138 ip=192.168.1.138 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
                resources: irq:47 memory:fdffe000-fdffffff
        *-pci:3
             product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3
             physical id: 1c.2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.2
             resources: irq:43 ioport:d000(size=4096) memory:fe000000-fe9fffff ioport:f6000000(size=49283072)
        *-pci:4
             product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 6
             physical id: 1c.5
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.5
             resources: irq:44 ioport:e000(size=4096) memory:fea00000-feafffff ioport:f8f00000(size=1048576)
           *-network
                description: Ethernet interface
                product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
                vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
                bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
                logical name: eth1
                version: 02
                serial: e0:cb:4e:11:03:48
                size: 10Mbit/s
                capacity: 1Gbit/s
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
                configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
                resources: irq:45 ioport:e800(size=256) memory:f8fff000-f8ffffff memory:f8fe0000-f8feffff memory:feaf0000-feafffff
        *-usb:4
             product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1
             physical id: 1d
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.0
             resources: irq:23 ioport:b480(size=32)
        *-usb:5
             product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2
             physical id: 1d.1
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.1
             resources: irq:19 ioport:b400(size=32)
        *-usb:6
             product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3
             physical id: 1d.2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.2
             resources: irq:18 ioport:b080(size=32)
        *-usb:7
             product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1
             physical id: 1d.7
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.7
             capabilities: pm debug ehci bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=ehci-pci latency=0
             resources: irq:23 memory:f9fff800-f9fffbff
        *-pci:5
             product: 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
             physical id: 1e
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1e.0
             version: 93
             capabilities: pci subtractive_decode bus_master cap_list
             resources: memory:feb00000-febfffff
           *-firewire
                description: FireWire (IEEE 1394)
                product: R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller
                vendor: Ricoh Co Ltd
                bus info: pci@0000:07:01.0
                version: 05
                capabilities: pm ohci bus_master cap_list
                configuration: driver=firewire_ohci latency=32 maxlatency=4 mingnt=2
                resources: irq:16 memory:febff800-febfffff
           *-generic:0
                description: SD Host controller
                product: R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter
                physical id: 1.1
                bus info: pci@0000:07:01.1
                version: 22
                capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
                configuration: driver=sdhci-pci latency=64
                resources: irq:17 memory:febff400-febff4ff
           *-generic:1
                description: System peripheral
                product: R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter
                physical id: 1.2
                bus info: pci@0000:07:01.2
                version: 12
                configuration: driver=r592 latency=64
                resources: irq:17 memory:febff000-febff0ff
           *-generic:2
                description: System peripheral
                product: xD-Picture Card Controller
                physical id: 1.3
                bus info: pci@0000:07:01.3
                version: 12
                configuration: driver=r852 latency=64
                resources: irq:17 memory:febfec00-febfecff
        *-isa
             description: ISA bridge
             product: ICH9M-E LPC Interface Controller
             physical id: 1f
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.0
             capabilities: isa bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=lpc_ich latency=0
             resources: irq:0
        *-storage
             description: SATA controller
             product: 82801IBM/IEM (ICH9M/ICH9M-E) 4 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
             physical id: 1f.2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.2
             clock: 66MHz
             capabilities: storage msi pm ahci_1.0 bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=ahci latency=0
             resources: irq:46 ioport:b000(size=8) ioport:ac00(size=4) ioport:a880(size=8) ioport:a800(size=4) ioport:a480(size=32) memory:f9fff000-f9fff7ff
     *-scsi:0
          logical name: scsi0
          capabilities: emulated
        *-disk
             description: ATA Disk
             product: ST9320423AS
             vendor: Seagate
             physical id: 0.0.0
             bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
             logical name: /dev/sda
             version: 0002
             serial: 5VH0WL53
             size: 298GiB (320GB)
             capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
             configuration: ansiversion=5 sectorsize=512 signature=0000d605
           *-volume:0
                description: Windows NTFS volume
                bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,1
                logical name: /dev/sda1
                version: 3.1
                serial: 9e7fb9bd-c735-664d-9b3b-f697c6670c59
                size: 58GiB
                capacity: 58GiB
                capabilities: primary bootable ntfs initialized
                configuration: clustersize=4096 created=2013-10-24 16:48:37 filesystem=ntfs state=clean
           *-volume:1
                description: Linux swap volume
                physical id: 2
                bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,2
                logical name: /dev/sda2
                version: 1
                serial: 214079c2-b2be-4fa4-896a-f6261117e814
                size: 4000MiB
                capacity: 4000MiB
                capabilities: primary nofs swap initialized
                configuration: filesystem=swap pagesize=4096
           *-volume:2
                description: EXT4 volume
                vendor: Linux
                physical id: 3
                bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,3
                logical name: /dev/sda3
                logical name: /
                serial: 119dfe26-3a53-4fb2-817f-87aa9d703722
                size: 29GiB
                capacity: 29GiB
                capabilities: primary journaled extended_attributes large_files huge_files dir_nlink recover extents ext4 ext2 initialized
                configuration: created=2013-12-01 17:00:56 filesystem=ext4 lastmountpoint=/ modified=2014-01-19 13:47:40 mount.fstype=ext4 mount.options=rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered mounted=2014-01-19 13:47:40 state=mounted
           *-volume:3
                description: EXT4 volume
                vendor: Linux
                physical id: 4
                bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,4
                logical name: /dev/sda4
                logical name: /home
                serial: d86e1c94-9a4c-41c0-babf-9bf8a8d2fa4d
                size: 206GiB
                capacity: 206GiB
                capabilities: primary journaled extended_attributes large_files huge_files dir_nlink recover extents ext4 ext2 initialized
                configuration: created=2013-10-24 21:25:00 filesystem=ext4 lastmountpoint=/home modified=2014-01-19 13:47:41 mount.fstype=ext4 mount.options=rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered mounted=2014-01-19 13:47:41 state=mounted
     *-scsi:1
          physical id: 2
          logical name: scsi1
          capabilities: emulated
        *-cdrom
             description: DVD-RAM writer
             product: DVDRAM GT30N
             vendor: HL-DT-ST
             physical id: 0.0.0
             bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
             logical name: /dev/cdrom
             logical name: /dev/sr0
             version: AS02
             capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
             configuration: ansiversion=5 status=ready
           *-medium
                logical name: /dev/cdrom
  *-battery
       description: Other Battery
       product: M50--24
       vendor: AS010EM33E
       version: 09/11/06
       serial: 4930
       slot: In the back
       capacity: 4660mWh
       configuration: voltage=11.1V
scott@asus ~ $ inxi -Fxxxx
System:    Host: asus Kernel: 3.11-2-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: KDE 4.12.1 (Qt 4.8.6) info: plasma-desktop dm: kdm Distro: SolydXK 1 testing
Machine:   System: ASUSTeK product: G60VX version: 1.0
           Mobo: PEGATRON model: G60VX version: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends version: 205 date: 08/27/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8700 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10108 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G92M [GeForce GTX 260M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0618 
           X.Org: 1.14.5 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV92 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:293e 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.11-2-amd64
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e800 bus-ID: 06:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168
           IF: eth1 state: down mac: e0:cb:4e:11:03:48
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [Condor Peak] 
           driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:0083
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:1e:64:84:c8:04
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (3.4% used)
           1: id: /dev/sda model: ST9320423AS size: 320.1GB serial: 5VH0WL53 temp: 38C 
Partition: ID: / size: 29G used: 6.9G (26%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 203G used: 3.4G (2%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 4.19GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 47.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 56.0 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 156 Uptime: 28 min Memory: 771.9/3966.3MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 alt: 4.4/4.6/4.7 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.2.45 running in konsole) inxi: 1.9.17 
scott@asus ~ $ 
Let me know if there is log file info that would be useful. I know there's probably such data available, but I don't know enough to even know where to start looking. There was nothing really interesting in dmesg related to the insertion/mounting of the DVD disk, just acknowledgement of the disk being mounted

[ 1167.701657] UDF-fs: INFO Mounting volume 'UDF Volume', timestamp 2009/07/14 04:29 (1ed4)
Scott

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 19 Jan 2014 19:54

ScottQuier wrote:
wyrdoak wrote:Have you seen Sam's post? It might help. http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2609
WOW - simple!

I read the thread, installed lshw, read the man page for it (well, I glanced at most of it), ran the command with no arguments (that's a lot of info dumped right there), inserted the SDHC, and ..... wait for it .... it was recognized and I was able t mount it with no issues.

Then, as a test, I unmounted the card, rebooted the computer, inserted the card into the read and .... BAM! ..... recognized.

This was a simple fix. I wonder what was causing the problem. What was missed (messed up) in this last UP. Time for me to do that research I was talking about.
Yep running lshw in term works for DVD drive and SD card but doesn't stick between boots for me and requires running lshw again.

Problem may be linked to Bug in udisksd also enabling polling in kernel solves the issue?
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=109433

/usr/lib/udisks2/udisksd: Doesn't event on CD/DVD media insertion
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=725978
Since the upgrade from udisks to udisks2, events for CD/DVD media
insertion aren't emitted any more, leading to desktop relying on it not
to automount/autodetect CDs or DVDs.

Simply trying to interact with the media triggers some event and is
then enough, like playing using MPlayer, or using lsdvd. Also, if
udisks (1)'s daemon is running, it also makes udisks2's one work.

In practice, /usr/lib/udisks2/udisksd doesn't report any event on
CD/DVD media insertion. /usr/lib/udisks/udisks-daemon does.
As running any program seems to poll the device and then it shows up in Dolphin.

Seems to be about system is not constantly polling for new device insertion?
Guessing here and no Linux wizard.
Portfolio
Flickr

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 19 Jan 2014 20:12

Orbmiser wrote: Seems to be about system is not constantly polling for new device insertion?
Guessing here and no Linux wizard.
This matches the behavior I've observed .. at least as far as the DVD is concerned. The SDHC reader is working just fine. In fact, after a reboot (three actually) and no other activity then opening Firefox, I just inserted the SDHC card and the event was immediately recongnized.

As I don't use DVD disks much (about three times in the last year or so), I'm happy with this "fix".

I believe it to be something in the kernel. At any rate, it will be interesting to see what happens with this in the next UP or two.
Scott

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 19 Jan 2014 20:32

Thanks ScottQuier, that was very detailed testing. I like that :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can make this conclusion:
There is a known bug preventing SD cards, and DVD's to be recognized on insertion.
Running lshw solves that, but only when it's run manually.
Unfortunately, adding lshw to the ISO's won't help to solve this issue.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 19 Jan 2014 20:44

Schoelje wrote:Thanks ScottQuier, that was very detailed testing. I like that :)

There is a known bug preventing SD cards, and DVD's to be recognized on insertion.
Yep from what I gleamed it's the result of going from udisks to usdisks2 and something lacking about polling devices on insertion. Also another is whether the kernel has polling enabled or not.

Seems just like another one of those low-level can of worms things. As not all have the issue.
So also seems a specific hardware setup issue?

Just shooting Blanks in the Dark here :o
Portfolio
Flickr

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 19 Jan 2014 20:53

Message #50 in http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=725978 seems to suggest this as a possible solution:
Thanks for the link. Kernel polling can also be enabled with this in /etc/rc.local:

echo 2000 > /sys/module/block/parameters/events_dfl_poll_msecs
It's also mentioned in message #35 in http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=713877

Perhaps there's a way to add this to the iso?
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 19 Jan 2014 20:58

Schoelje wrote:Thanks ScottQuier, that was very detailed testing. I like that :)

I'm a software engineer (for 30+ years) so I should have the process figured out by now. :)

Being an engineer, I also tend (try) to be very pendantic. I would agree with all three of your statements if the word "known" were removed from the first. I don't know if it's a known issue or not.

Including lshw in the iso will at least make that tool more readily available but it will not solve the problem for most of SolydXK user base.

ETA: Yes, the DVD issue is a KNOWN bug ... Thanks grizzler for the link!

ETA2: But, that still doesn't explain why my (and others?) SDHC readers were borked. Or why running lshw got mine working and that the fix stuck across multiple reboots when it doesn't stick for others.
Scott

stelios

Postby stelios » 19 Jan 2014 21:12

How about running the command

udisks --enumerate
This will start the old daemon. If it works, you can make it run automatically at startup.

Return to “News & Anouncements”