UP and BE/BO 2014.04.15 [CLOSED]

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
jsvenancio

Re: UP and BE/BO 2014.04.15

Postby jsvenancio » 16 Apr 2014 22:58

zerozero wrote:jsvenancio
try again

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -f install

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
I followed his recommendation, I used these two commands.
But the result is still this;

dpkg: error processing archive / var/cache/apt/archives/firefox_28.0_i386.deb (- unpack): 
  trying to overwrite '/ opt / firefox / omni.ja', which is also in firefox-l10n-en 27.0 package 
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste the was killed by signal (Broken pipe) 
Preparing to unpack ... / ... thunderbird_24.4.0_i386.deb 
Unpacking thunderbird (24.4.0) over (24.3.0) ... 
dpkg: error processing archive / var/cache/apt/archives/thunderbird_24.4.0_i386.deb (- unpack): 
  trying to overwrite '/ opt / thunderbird / omni.ja', which is also in package thunderbird-l10n-pt 24.3.0 
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste the was killed by signal (Broken pipe) 
Errors were encountered while processing: 
  / var/cache/apt/archives/firefox_28.0_i386.deb 
  / var/cache/apt/archives/thunderbird_24.4.0_i386.deb 
E: Sub-process / usr / bin / dpkg returned an error code (1)
I also noticed that my PC was a bit slow.
SolydX - 64bts - Debian

Sorry for my bad English, I speak Portuguese and use the Google translator.

outlaw

Re: UP and BE/BO 2014.04.15 (Audio Streaming / Firefox)

Postby outlaw » 16 Apr 2014 23:17

Is anyone else having problems listening to streaming audio in Firefox since the update?

I used to be able to listen to both these radio stations before the update and now it's the sound of silence :)

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/
When I click on listen live Error #2032 appears in pop-up audio application window. (Flash)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldserviceradio
Clicking on the listen live link results is a cryptic error message in the pop-up audio application window.

I can listen to both these stations using the install CD I downloaded in February.

Tom

I quick update, I can listen to both the aforementioned radio stations using Opera.
FYI: I disabled Adblock in Firefox so this is not the problem.

dave hartley

Postby dave hartley » 17 Apr 2014 00:40

Error #2032 is a Flash error - perhaps try reinstalling the plugin ?

(FWIW the BBC link works fine for me).

yoast

Postby yoast » 17 Apr 2014 00:56

I have upgraded 2 laptops (Both Acers 64 Bit) to SolydXK. The first one had problems because I pressed buttons to quickly and I had to rescue Grub. (I did it the lazy way: I installed SolydXK to a USB stick, then booted the HD from that, then extracted the USB stick and subsequently sudo grub-install and sudo update-grub re-built grub on the HD).
The second update went without problems at all. My Last Laptop will be done tomorrow. I have used the first laptop quite a lot after the update and nothing untoward appeared so far. I tried all netowrking and video-straming etc. I knew off.

Thanks for a great distro. It is a lot less work then Upgrading Kubuntu and then re-installing media and all own stuff.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 17 Apr 2014 01:05

@yoast - I would be very interested in the details of how you did the grub tree-install and how it differs from this one --> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3509
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

snowdust

Postby snowdust » 17 Apr 2014 01:38

Greetings to all,
I am running UM version 2.0.9 and have not yet updated to UP 2014.04.15.
How can I update :?: UM to version 2.1.0 with the latest patch before updating the UP?
Thanks for assisting. :)

cobb

Postby cobb » 17 Apr 2014 02:11

Not much forum time lately but got the updates notification and saw the 4-15 UP was out so since I was on a quick connection at work, I updated the UM and ran the UP via the new 2.09 UM. No issues on AMD E-350 APU Acer laptop with OS drivers running SolydX-64.

Nice job Schoelje and the Testing Team! Thought y'all might like some success stories as well as issue reports. Hoping for some quality forum time again soon.
Technology slave by coincidence.. Linux user by choice.

igor83

Postby igor83 » 17 Apr 2014 04:54

yoast wrote:Thanks for a great distro. It is a lot less work then Upgrading Kubuntu and then re-installing media and all own stuff.
Yeah, that's my thought as well.

Upgrading two computers took me about three hours off and on, probably because of my unwise idiosyncracies in configuration, but in the end, I got everything working and didn't have to reconfigure. Had to run the script file to set things right on my laptop, but it seems to be working great now. The script file worked pretty well I thought. It's a nice fallback from the Update Manager, and I suspect it can fix anything the Update Manager leaves unfinished for any reason. Afterward I was using Ktorrent and Firefox and Thunar without any problems, and basically that's all I do with the laptop. So if something else is broken, I probably wouldn't notice for a long time, if ever.
~ My blog is where I write about random things that occur to me ~

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 17 Apr 2014 04:55

@jsvenancio
The error message hints you'll need to remove some packages first:

sudo apt-get purge firefox-l10n-* thunderbird-l10n-*
sudo apt-get install firefox firefox-solydxk-adjustments thunderbird thunderbird-solydx-adjustments
and any language pack you need, e.g.:

sudo apt-get install firefox-l10n-pl thunderbird-l10n-pl

@snowdust
The old UM will upgrade itself to the new UM.
After that, you'll need to start the new UM manually from the start menu.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 17 Apr 2014 05:00

@Schoelje, @ZZ, Lots of success stories here.

Been helping friends and family with UP on their machines. Daughter and son-in-law decided to dump XP on two of their HP laptops, which I had previously set up as XP/SolydX dual-boot.

Son has a really hot Alienware monster gaming rig laptop, UEFI/Win8/SolydK64, and an older Acer something-or-other (I forget) Core2Duo 2.0g with 2gigs ram and Intel graphics with SolydX64 and XP.

All together I've done eight(?) UPs, (all in the terminal) including four of my own installs and an Asus M50V laptop a friend brought over yesterday, now proudly shed of Win7 and running SolydK64.

Beyond having to stop cups a few times and a serious discussion with the GeForce 9300 in the Asus, It's all gone very smoothly, due to the info here. Also tried out the SuperGrub2Disk RC5, as I goofed on the Acer twice. :oops: Back in my old recliner now (my head is spinning!) :lol: -- It's been a hectic couple of days, but nothing like yours!

Also ran the UP on on my main machine, the HP dv7, with two production installs.
The X64 is the master grub, installed 25 Sept. 2013. The K64 was installed 17 Nov. 2013.

Two Dell desktops, a GX620 (PentiumD) with SolydX64, and the XPS Gen2 (P4) with SolydX32pae.
Haven't got to the P3 yet, it's running SolydX32/MX-14/antiX-13.
And there's this old HP zd7140 laptop....

It all went very well for me. Thank you Schoelje and zz. :D As Always, I love this distro. 8-)

m00se

Postby m00se » 17 Apr 2014 05:02

@Schoelje

Thanks for your help and hard work. I'm up and running again. Somehow Grub was gone. It threw me trying the Grub rescue steps and nothing worked. I thought I was reading the tutorials too literally and maybe hd0 and msods1 were shorthand for something else. Any way I tried all kinds of things. I've used Grub rescue disks in the past but fixing things myself is quite nice. A very valuable education.
If you can't find it anywhere, you need to start a live DVD, and follow these steps (as su):

mount --bind /dev/ /mnt/dev/
mount --bind /proc/ /mnt/proc/
mount --bind /sys/ /mnt/sys/
mount /dev/sda /mnt/
chroot /mnt/
grub-install -f /dev/sda
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
reboot
This failed after :

mount --bind /dev/ /mnt/dev/
(I don't recall the error)

This was what worked for me:
http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3509

Have a good one! 8-)

rajkapur

Postby rajkapur » 17 Apr 2014 05:27

@pcuser777

I don't think it's FlexNet related. My best guess is that grub had an error while updating.

yoast

Postby yoast » 17 Apr 2014 07:42

Hi Scottquier,

Grub re-install: How I did it.
1. I still had my old Unetbootin made USB-stick of 20140115. I also had an empty 16 Gb stick on which I had originally installed SolydXK to see if I liked it (and subsequently wiped the stick) .
2. On my Hardisk I had upgraded using the UP standard (i.e. I first updated the Uppdate Manager and then the rest. No glitches. The only glitch was that the screens had scrolled by too quickly and I had indicated to install without grub). So my grub was destroyed. The PC booted into grub-rescue.

3. So I had a situation where the install was running, but if I tried to boot I ended up in grub's Rescue. I tried the commands from the tutorial but it did not recognize where to start booting. "cd" returned "not recognized command" I could not rebuild grub, nor start the session on HD. I knew however, that if I installed Solydxk anywhere else Grub would be used to rebuild grub on that external HD or USB-stick. When Grub would be placed there it would offer multiple boot options based on which bootable OSs it found.
So I did this.
1. I booted from the USB-stick. Selected to install to the second USB-stick (ext2 to speed up). This put a grub on the stick. If I booted from the UBS-stick the Grub menu offered 3 Options. (Boot from Unetbootin-stick, Boot from USB-wtih full SolydXK install, Boot from HD with the updated SOLYDXK and all my options / files etc.). Those were the three bootable things grub found while I made the USB-stick.
2. I started the PC from the USB-Stick with the full SolydXK install. The Grub-session allowed me to boot from HD. This indeed started the HD-session in all its updated glory. I removed the two USB-sticks so they would not be included in the new GRUB. I then ran the two commands to re-build grub (from the tutorial: sudo grub-install /dev/sda followed by sudo update-grub).

The above steps created a new grub on the PC that booted the PC correctly. It did take fairly long, because I had to wait for the install on USB, but it was almost guaranteed to work. It could have been speeded up if I had had a tiny linux (Damn Small Linux for example. As long as it installed grub to the USB-stick or external HD it was fine.)

That is just how I did it.
Y.

helmsdeeper

Postby helmsdeeper » 17 Apr 2014 10:09

Here is my second success to report...
I upgraded my Acer ZG5 SolydX32 netbook using the Update Manager, rebooted using the new kernel and everything is working fine. My thanks again to all involved. :D
This weekend I will be upgrading my fathers SolydX64 HP Pavillion laptop for him, will report back once done.

Cedar

Postby Cedar » 17 Apr 2014 10:11

Schoelje wrote: @Cedar
Then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.
Hopefully somebody else with more experience can help you with this issue.
I found a solution to the problem, and this is important: Grub doesn't properly upgrade if some configuration files have been touched by the user (in particular /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme; although /etc/default/grub doesn't seem to cause problems). This bug is inherent to Grub in Debian, see details here:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=688549

Basically the grub configuration files need to be replaced during update. I think it would be much better to not let the update manager select the default options automatically before the user actually made the selection.

eidnch

Postby eidnch » 17 Apr 2014 10:15

sudo apt-get install firefox firefox-solydxk-adjustments thunderbird thunderbird-solydx-adjustments

This helped me for firefox, now firefox runs in my language. Thunderbird is still in english. Installing thunderbird-solydxk-adjustments take no effects ... i purged it already and reinstalled it ... no effect

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 17 Apr 2014 10:39

@yoast - Thanks. I'll let that simmer on back burner until it finished absorbing thought my thick skull. :lol:

Nice to have a third way to get things done.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 17 Apr 2014 10:41

eidnch wrote:

This helped me for firefox, now firefox runs in my language. Thunderbird is still in english. Installing thunderbird-solydxk-adjustments take no effects ... i purged it already and reinstalled it ... no effect
If you have installed the thunderbird-l10n-pl package, you still need to enable the language, and other add-ons if they are not already enabled. After that, you can change language in the Locale Switcher. If you still have problems, make sure that the "User Interface Language" in the Locale Switcher preferences is checked.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

eidnch

Postby eidnch » 17 Apr 2014 10:52

Schoelje wrote:
eidnch wrote:

If you have installed the thunderbird-l10n-pl package, you still need to enable the language, and other add-ons if they are not already enabled. After that, you can change language in the Locale Switcher. If you still have problems, make sure that the "User Interface Language" in the Locale Switcher preferences is checked.
The add-ons are enabled, also in the Switcher, no gui in my language. Perhaps i don't explained correct, its the gui who is in english. I installed Icedove and copied my thunderbird profile to icedove and all is working.

Isn't icedove and thunderbird the same? Why SolydXK use firefox/thunderbird and not iceweasel/icedove? Iceweasel/icedove is better integrated in debian or?

snowdust

Postby snowdust » 17 Apr 2014 11:54

UP ran without a glitch. Congrats to the developers and testers. Thanks for your innovation, dedication and commitment to providing us with such professional work. No wonder Solyd X and K stand out from the so many distributions. Cheers to another success story :D on this side of the pond.

Return to “News & Anouncements”