Update problem Firefox and Thunderbird languages [solved]

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
ilu

Update problem Firefox and Thunderbird languages [solved]

Postby ilu » 19 Apr 2014 21:34

I updated today and I'm getting strange problems: Firefox is in my language (german) but Thunderbird is not anymore.
1. Firefox
In Firefox I found an addon named "Quick Locale Switcher" which I I never installed. I'm afraid this "feature" came with Solyds update. There is a flag in the lower right corner which tells me that my user interface is english (in fact it's german) and my web contents are german.

2. Thunderbird:
"Firefox/Thunderbird language issues: viewtopic.php?p=32876#p32876" doesn't help. There is no flag in the right corner. Probably because the locale switcher addon in Thunderbird is not present.

I had my native languages in Solyd's Thunderbird and Firefox before without this addon. Why did this change?
I'm afraid this addon might interfere with my windows installation which uses the same profile. I would like to get rid of that addon and reinstall the german versions. How should I go about that? Will I have to repair this whenever Solyd has an update?

The solution is probably already discussed in this thread: http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php ... c95#p33038 but unfortunately I don't speak any french.

Edit: I deactivated the Locale Switcher in FF and the interface is still german - good. But I can't get rid of the addon - huh? Just activate/deactive, no delete. Looks like something Microsoft would do ...

Edit2: Since I ran into the "grub rescue problem" I can't do anything about it at the moment. I will try removing firefox-solydxk-adjustments thunderbird thunderbird-solydxk-adjustments later, if I manage to revive my system.

wizard97_4

Re: Update problem Firefox and Thunderbird languages

Postby wizard97_4 » 20 Apr 2014 07:06

Hello,
ilu wrote:In Firefox I found an addon named "Quick Locale Switcher" which I I never installed. I'm afraid this "feature" came with Solyds update. There is a flag in the lower right corner which tells me that my user interface is english (in fact it's german) and my web contents are german.
I had my native languages in Solyd's Thunderbird and Firefox before without this addon. Why did this change?
An explanation of the changes seems to be here: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3044
ilu wrote:Edit: I deactivated the Locale Switcher in FF and the interface is still german - good. But I can't get rid of the addon - huh? Just activate/deactive, no delete. Looks like something Microsoft would do ...
To remove all of this, as you say in your Edit2, I think you can do (I don't use SolydXK, if wrong someone may rectify it):

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge firefox-solydxk-adjustments thunderbird-solydxk-adjustments
If you want to change your locale without add-ons (and like me you don't really like pre-installed things you don't use) theoretically you can do:

Firefox
  • address bar: about:config, I'll be careful, I promise ! :oops:
  • search the key (in the search bar): general.useragent.locale and set the value en-US to de (or any other language you have)
  • restart Firefox

Thunderbird
  • Menu > Preferences > Preferences > Advanced > Config Editor > I'll be careful, I promise ! :o
  • same thing, search the key: general.useragent.locale and change en-US to de
  • restart Thunderbird
Note: If your system is in German and for example you want to have Firefox or Thunderbird in French (maybe to learn it :D) or another language that may differ from your system's language you have to also modify the key intl.locale.matchOS and set it to false with of course firefox-l10n-XX or thunderbird-l10n-XX installed and general.useragent.locale set to XX (XX is the language you want to use).

Tschüß
:)

ilu

Postby ilu » 20 Apr 2014 17:49

Vielen Dank, das hat perfekt funktioniert!

I used synaptic to purge those 2 packets and I hope I won't see them again! (Will the update manager remember?)

wizard97_4

Postby wizard97_4 » 20 Apr 2014 18:39

Gern geschehen :)

I think that if you have removed them you won't see them again. Only those who still have those packages installed will receive updates.

Nomen Nescio

Re: Update problem Firefox and Thunderbird languages [solved

Postby Nomen Nescio » 20 Apr 2014 22:18

I also had this problem today when i updated the parent's PC (SolydKBE). Apart from that the update manager says new updates available but will not show any new packages (synaptic neither)...

With some hacking I could change the locale, although the unsollicited add-on 'locale switcher' didn't do the job...

Last weekend when I gave them the PC, I made a backup, so when I have more time when I visit them I probably will restore this backup and try a 'cleaner update' because I Dutchified the Debian/KDE, but the new installed firefox and thunderbird will not present them in Dutch in the menus...

wizard97_4

Re: Update problem Firefox and Thunderbird languages [solved

Postby wizard97_4 » 21 Apr 2014 12:23

Nomen Nescio wrote:With some hacking I could change the locale, although the unsollicited add-on 'locale switcher' didn't do the job...

[rimg]http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... er-001.png[/rimg]

To make it works you need to check this box in the options of Quick Locale Switcher if it's not checked by default.
After that, choose your language and a pop-up will ask you to restart FF or TB.

;)

Return to “News & Anouncements”