kdenext going to be dropped

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Deleted User 2763

Re: kdenext going to be dropped

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 21 May 2014 16:43

^ But hey, SolydXK is Debian (thank goodness) and you can morph it to however you want to.
I appreciate your hard work and out of the box experience.
-Hinto

PopeBishop

Postby PopeBishop » 21 May 2014 17:06

Schoelje wrote:Reverting to Debian-KDE is one of the decisions the SolydXK team made, and will make, to comply to our business mission.
All team discussions, and resulting decisions, are strategic of nature, and hardly ever technological. The team proposes any questions to the community as long as the question is aligned with the strategy. It's the team's responsibility to guarantee SolydXK's continuity.

Unfortunately, this means that we sometimes have to make unpopular decisions in order to guarantee the continuity, and stability of SolydXK.
You completely dashed my visions of you and the rest of the team; I thought of you hovering over computers Matrix style deciding on whether or not something was stable enough for production or if it should be held back, and here I discover it's bureaucracy ;)
i can appreciate the decision. SolydXK is Debian after all, and to guarantee continuity with them, and SolydXK's stated mission statement is important, and like you said "this means that we sometimes have to make unpopular decisions in order to guarantee the continuity, and stability of SolydXK."
Proper password hygiene is key to a secure system

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 21 May 2014 17:18

@Scoelje: I can understand where you're coming from. I think the strong selling point for SolydXK to businesses is it's stability and instant use. People need to get to work quickly and SolydXK can provide that because it has the most stable software and they won't have the frustration of hunting down serious bugs while trying to get some real work done. You've done very well with this. I think because SolydXK also has a "Home" version, many forget the primary goal for SolydXK was the business model. I admit I even forget that, too. I'm glad we have a "Home" version, though. I use it as my everyday system as well as for work and development. It gets the job done. That's the important part.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 23 May 2014 08:56

The only remaining question here is do we need to now remove kdenext from sources.list?
(Sticky Sources.list topic has not been updated...?)

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 23 May 2014 10:26

reposted from G+
no, not at the moment at least. kdenext is still providing the existing kde packages in your installation, removing it now will mean that if you uninstall a kde package/lib you won't be able to install it again.

after the next UP (when hopefully debian will catch up with the kdenext contents) then, yes, it's safe to remove it
bliss of ignorance

pnlarsson

Postby pnlarsson » 23 May 2014 10:41

So what will happen when debian will fall behind (again)?

Why can't we have an kde_cutting_edge repo (install at your own risk)?

/niklas

Zill

Postby Zill » 23 May 2014 11:21

pnlarsson wrote:Why can't we have an kde_cutting_edge repo (install at your own risk)?
Because this is not consistent with "About SolydXK":
SolydXK aims to be simple in use, providing an environment that is both stable and secure

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 23 May 2014 11:25

I just had to chime in here.

With all the comments about staying with kdenext or having the "cutting edge" version.

You can do whatever you want. You just won't get support from the team most likely.

After all Linux is about Freedom of Choice.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 23 May 2014 11:51

zerozero wrote:reposted from G+
Oh. Ok... :oops: Sorry zz, I was out there briefly this morning and didn't catch that... :mrgreen:
zerozero wrote:kdenext is still providing the existing kde packages in your installation, removing it now will mean that if you uninstall a kde package/lib you won't be able to install it again.
And again Oops, should have realized that.... :?

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 23 May 2014 11:56

MAYBL8 wrote:...You can do whatever you want. ...After all Linux is about Freedom of Choice.
Yes. there is always a way to get bleeding-edge KDE should one desire it.

I actually feel pretty silly for having reacted to this at all.
I'm already running Siduction on another partition... :oops: :mrgreen:

It's a great way to have kdenext, and learn a lot about Sid into the bargain.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 23 May 2014 12:54

Maybe couldn't KDEnext become a Community Edition now that they have the Community Editiion thing going on? Just an idea.

Grof

Postby Grof » 24 May 2014 09:23

Hello,

I must to say something about SolydK and KDE and my opinion about KDE version sticked with Debian testing.

First of all, I love SolydK because of Debian testing machine and near to cutting-edge KDE! I think this is the main power of SolydK and my main reason to using them! :) (In other case I would use Debian testing with Debain's KDE)

Now it is the very turbulent time in KDE community: All goes to KDE Frameworks 5 and Plasma Next. KDE 4.13 is a library stable version and I can not see the reason why SolydK doesn't want to incorporate them in regular update process?

KDE4 is the stable as is and it will be (because of freezing features in KDE4 and Qt 4).

KDE5 is something what will be the main target of KDE community (and stabilizing of Qt 5) so this can be reason for discussion about instability. ;)

So, please, pack KDE 4.13 for all of us who using SolydK Home edition. Look at the Linux Mint 17 - this distro will have KDE 4.13 without any doubt! Also Kubuntu 14.04.

For The End: The main power of SolydK is the fresh enough KDE version! Do not kill this philosophy sticking KDE version with Debian testing! Please do not repel me from SolydK because I very love your "KDEnext concept".

Thanks. :)

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 01 Jun 2014 12:20

I am udating my SolydK64 (Debian Testing) in my Virutal Box as I write this which looks like it is updateing KDE to 4.13.
An idea just struck me this morning:
I don't know if Schoelje would bless it or not but how about having a SolydEdge spinoff.
SolydEdge would be a combination of SolydHE + Debian Testing.
Repo would look like this:

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.solydxk.com/testing/ solydxk main upstream import kdenext
deb http://community.solydxk.com/testing/ solydxk main
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org testing main non-free
Anyone running this would get no support from the Solyd Team (I assume).
We kind of would be the Pre Testing group above the Solyd Testing group since we would be running the latest Debian Testing before it would get to the Solyd Testing group.
There are going to be breakages and your system occasionally would not be able to boot properly so a second partition that works would be a good idea. It possibly depending on the update might even break grub. So you might need a grub repair tool lying around that you can boot to.
For those that want to run newer packages than is available to Solyd HE this would be the answer.
There is risk involved.
As I said I am running this in a Virtual box right now. As of before this latest update I had to install XFCE since KDE was broke. Remember this is not a production setup.
I don't know if I have thought of everything here but this is a start. Interested to see what everyone thinks.
Also we could provide input to the Solyd Team so they would know what to expect when they issue the updates to the production releases.
I started my linux experience back with Mandriva and they ran a cutting edge version ( I can't remember the name of it now) Currently it is Mageia I think and the cutting edge version or testing is called Cauldron.
We would be similat to that.
You may ask why not run SID. Well in my opinon SID is tooo cutting edge and not tested. Running SID Repo is even more risky and I don't want to go there.
OK give me some input Good or Bad.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 01 Jun 2014 13:09

MAYBL8 wrote:I started my linux experience back with Mandriva and they ran a cutting edge version ( I can't remember the name of it now) Currently it is Mageia I think and the cutting edge version or testing is called Cauldron.
I believe it was "Cooker". So Cauldron is, uh, apt... :lol:

My personal feeling is that Solyd needs to remain Solyd. In the HEs, they're shooting for a distro that's reasonably cutting edge, yet stable. In going with Debian Testing KDE they will not be so very far behind. These are all interesting ideas, but spinoffs and CEs will need maintainers.

Again the beauty of it all is that we're all free to do with it as we personally wish. There are several Sid-based distros which are well maintained by their own teams, IMO Siduction being the best of these. We ourselves are free to experiment, or to pull in whatever we wish, or to go with one of those. Your own VMs are a good example here. And anyone is free to do their own SolydEdge. There are already many posters here running Solyd-Debian Testing, and Solyd-Sid.

If there is to be no support from the team anyway, I can't see as there is any "blessing" required; Schoelje has often said he welcomes the establishment of community maintained spinoffs and CEs.

So in other words, Go for it! :)

yet another 2c from the peanut gallery... ;)

Zill

Postby Zill » 01 Jun 2014 13:41

fleabus wrote:... My personal feeling is that Solyd needs to remain Solyd. In the HEs, they're shooting for a distro that's reasonably cutting edge, yet stable. In going with Debian KDE they will not be so very far behind. These are all interesting ideas, but spinoffs and CEs will need maintainers...
I totally agree. Any user with the skills needed to run a "cutting edge" system doesn't need a dedicated distro to hold their hand. Users who do not have such skills should stick to tried and tested software. Ideally they should be using Debian Stable, so Debian Testing is as far as SolydXK should go IMHO.

Return to “News & Anouncements”