[Talk] Home Edition security updates

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
grizzler

Re: [Talk] Home Edition security updates

Postby grizzler » 13 Nov 2014 07:52

just wrote:my question is simple - do you think these 5 repos are OK?
Yes, that's what you need. However, I'm not sure trying to update the nvidia packages will work correctly, because one (nvidia-graphics-modules) is currently not in Testing. If the SolydXK UP 2014.10.15 version is close enough it might work, but I doubt that (on the other hand, not having any experience with anything nvidia related, I won't really be surprised if it does...).
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

just

Postby just » 13 Nov 2014 10:50

the situation with nvidia-optimus is not easy. after adding the "jessie.list" repo

Code: Select all

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
apt update proposes 786 updates. of that i'm installing only those related to kernel (1 package) and nvidia-optimus (3 packages):

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install linux-image-amd64 bumblebee-nvidia primus primus-libs:i386
all 4 have a newer version with the added repo.

after that, optirun returns an error when i try to run smth with it. optirun is a part of nvidia-optimus technology, which makes any soft to run on nvidia gpu, not on the intel one.

the error returned by optirun is already filed in on debian bugtracker, on github.

for sure, it's not an error with nvidia itself. it's an error related to optimus configuration. and it's a stupid one, it ususlly solved by setting well one the settings in four thousands places where optimus may be configured from.

probably i'm not a good test case with nvidia-optimus. some pure nvidia card owner would suit better here.

anyway, after a launch break, i will continue trying to solve the optimus problem. for sure, those who currently successfully use bumblebee-nvidia on nvidia-optimus cards would face a serious troubles in this situation.

EDIT: few solutions, proposed on debian's butracker, on github, in other places don't currently work for me.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 13 Nov 2014 11:43

just wrote:the situation with nvidia-optimus is not easy. after adding the "jessie.list" repo

apt update proposes 786 updates. of that i'm installing only those related to kernel (1 package) and nvidia-optimus (3 packages):

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install linux-image-amd64 bumblebee-nvidia primus primus-libs:i386
all 4 have a newer version with the added repo.
According to my apt/history.log, the kernel related packages that were installed/updated on my machine yesterday were:
linux-image-amd64 (3.16+63)
linux-headers-amd64 (3.16+63)
inux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64 (3.16.7-2)
linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64 (3.16.7-2)
linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common (3.16.7-2)
linux-compiler-gcc-4.8-x86 (3.16.7-2)
linux-libc-dev (3.16.7-2)

Did you get all of those? Some/most will have been dragged in automatically.
probably i'm not a good test case with nvidia-optimus. some pure nvidia card owner would suit better here.
Maybe, but I certainly appreciate your efforts.

I've been offered a (not quite so) old laptop to use for testing. Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure it has nvidia graphics. I'll know more later this afternoon.

Edit
Nope. Intel. Not useful... :(
Frank

just

Postby just » 13 Nov 2014 12:31

grizzler wrote:
According to my apt/history.log, the kernel related packages that were installed/updated on my machine yesterday were...Did you get all of those? Some/most will have been dragged in automatically.
i thought that the linux-image-amd64, being a meta-package, should pull in all needed as dependencies. by no mean i'm an expert neither in selective packages install nor in tracking debian repos.

my current situation is (ignore package versions in parenthesis, those are your's):

+ linux-image-amd64 (3.16+63)                          <-- updated
- linux-headers-amd64 (3.16+63)                       <-- not updated
+ linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64 (3.16.7-2)         <-- updated
o linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64 (3.16.7-2)     <-- not installed
o linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common (3.16.7-2)  <-- not installed
- linux-compiler-gcc-4.8-x86 (3.16.7-2)           <-- not updated
- linux-libc-dev (3.16.7-2)                                   <-- not updated
where
  • + are installed and updated to latest version
  • - installed but not updated
  • o not installed at all
will restore the / from the last backup, then will explicitely install all these packages listed by you. as well as three bumblebee-nvidia ones.

...but anyway, the system continues to work. right now i'm on solydk64-201411-dev, and work without any problem. the only problem is that i can't force software to use nvidia gpu (without optirun).

just

Postby just » 13 Nov 2014 16:22

grizz, after 13-hour fighting against bumblebee-nvidia i lost this round, i'm afraid.

either installing linux-image-amd64 only, or installing all 7 linux-image-amd64 linux-headers-amd64 linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64 linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64 linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common linux-compiler-gcc-4.8-x86 linux-libc-dev packages, suggested by you, nothing changes.

after applying all optimus tricks i know, the only result i've obtained is that from a serious optirun error, which happens when bumble tries to use nouveau drivers

[ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) /dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version 1.4: Permission denied
i've managed to arrive to much less serious one, which happens when bumble tries to use nvidia drivers

[ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: Could not load GPU driver
but it changes nothing from the final user point of view - optirun runs nothing.

at the end, i've discovered one important thing. under normal circumstances, i install nvidia-optimus either on virgin installation of solydxk or on fully upgraded system. i always avoid partial installs, and admit to not being able to do it.

this is an example (from my old notes) of what were installed+upgraded on solydk64-201407 for bumblebee-nvidia support. this is a typical list of packages installed, i keep it for my reference:

just@alexsok ~ $ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt-get install bumblebee-nvidia Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  bbswitch-dkms bumblebee glx-alternative-mesa glx-alternative-nvidia glx-diversions libgl1-nvidia-glx libxnvctrl0 libxvmcnvidia1 nvidia-alternative nvidia-driver nvidia-installer-cleanup nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-settings nvidia-support nvidia-vdpau-driver primus-libs primus-libs-ia32:i386 socat xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
Recommended packages:
  libgl1-nvidia-glx-i386 primus-libs-ia32
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  bbswitch-dkms bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia glx-alternative-mesa glx-alternative-nvidia glx-diversions libgl1-nvidia-glx libxnvctrl0 libxvmcnvidia1 nvidia-alternative nvidia-driver nvidia-installer-cleanup nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-settings nvidia-support nvidia-vdpau-driver primus primus-libs primus-libs:i386 primus-libs-ia32:i386 socat xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
0 upgraded, 23 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 15.5 MB of archives.
After this operation, 77.8 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y [Enter]
a plethora of packages for a total of 15.5 MB to download.

and this is what the current test configuration would install+update with the same identical command:

just@alexsok ~ $ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt-get install bumblebee-nvidia primus primus-libs:i386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
  bumblebee primus-libs
The following packages will be upgraded:
  bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia primus primus-libs primus-libs:i386
5 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1081 not upgraded.
Need to get 165 kB of archives.
After this operation, 100 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
just@alexsok ~ $ 
6 packages only with 165 kB to download?! the needed bumblebee-nvidia dependencies are not being installed! the presence of some errors in my current test config is obvious. i'd avoid to install the above listed dependencies by hand - i'm not sure to know them all for the current config. and don't know, how to discover them all.

but i have no more forces to continue, at least for today. with your permission, i'd get a break.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 13 Nov 2014 17:20

just wrote:but i have no more forces to continue, at least for today. with your permission, i'd get a break.
By all means. No permission required, naturally. It's all voluntary work for all of us. Thanks for your efforts.

According to this page, bumblebee-nvidia doesn't actually ask for a specific version of its dependencies (except for bumblebee itself), so it won't pull in newer nvidia packages if the old ones are already installed. This suggests it should work with any version, so although it might explain the difference in the size of the update sets (provided there actually is an older version of one of those alternative dependencies installed...), it doesn't automatically explain why it fails to function. It could be the combination of new kernel/old nvidia stuff itself, I suppose.

In the meantime I managed to pull in a large number of updated nvidia related packages by installing nvidia-settings, nvidia-xconfig and nvidia-modprobe (I suspect just nvidia-settings would have sufficed) on four different setups (2 hardware, 2 VM, SolydK and X, 32 and 64 bit). Of course none of those could be truly tested because they don't actually have nvidia on board, but at least everything could be installed without dependency issues.

So I'm thinking, maybe I should just go ahead with the upload... (waits for screams of protest... ;) )
Frank

just

Postby just » 13 Nov 2014 18:40

grizzler wrote:
...This suggests it should work with any version, so although it might explain the difference in the size of the update sets (provided there actually is an older version of one of those alternative dependencies installed...)
you're absolutely right! the dependencies were already installed! the installation sequence was:
  1. full upgrade of solydk64-201411-dev
  2. backup
  3. initial bumblebee-nvidia install, on default solydk config. it has correctly d/l-ed two dozens of packages, for about a 17 MB of d/l
  4. bumblebee-nvidia runs smouth as a silk, without any problem
  5. its version is 3.2.1-5
  6. backup
  7. adding "jessie.list"
  8. apt update only, without upgrade
  9. kernel update only
  10. bumblebee-nvidia update only, for the version 3.2.1-7
  11. which is the version your page is talking about
  12. very few dependencies for bumblebee this time
so, few dependencies for the 2nd install/update are explained. its malfunction still not.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 13 Nov 2014 18:52

What happens if you add nvidia-settings to the list of items to update?
And if nvidia-xconfig and nvidia-modprobe are installed, add those as well.
Frank

just

Postby just » 13 Nov 2014 19:14

grizz, what about my break ;) ?

after the last restore, i'm currently at the p.6 of my previous post. none of three packages is installed. i will install them, but my three or four years experience with optimus suggests that nvidia-settings, if launched at least once, ruins bumblebee-nvidia setup. it does so simply by creating /etc/X11/xorg.conf. the latter is OK for pure nvidia cards, but must not exist for optimus. i always suggested to delete xorg.conf, created by nvidia-settings or, better yet, uninstall it completely on optimus computers.

to be honest, the very tricky command to execute nvidia-settings without destroying bumblebee does exist. it has two meters long parameters line. but i've lost it, searched for it for two hours till now, can't find it. an average human being is unable to remember it.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 13 Nov 2014 19:22

just wrote:grizz, what about my break ;) ?
LOL! Take your time. No need to reply immediately. You responded, so I figured you wanted to go ahead. :lol:
after the last restore, i'm currently at the p.6 of my previous post. none of three packages is installed. i will install them, but my three or four years experience with optimus suggests that nvidia-settings, if launched at least once, ruins bumblebee-nvidia setup.
You don't have to run it, but by updating it, the other nvidia packages might be triggered to update as well.
Frank

just

Postby just » 13 Nov 2014 19:28

...You don't have to run it, but by updating it, the other nvidia packages might be triggered to update as well
i've told you that my head is void at this point :) . you're right again. about to update kernel + bumblebee for the 6th time...

but will report back only tomorrow :D !

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 13 Nov 2014 19:37

That's fine. Thanks again for your help with this. And don't ever feel compelled to respond immediately. There are more important things than messing with software... :D
Frank

just

Postby just » 13 Nov 2014 20:27

the last run for today, with full installation terminal output and subsequent tests after reboot. the result is negative again.

following a good example: warning! huge output ahead :)

1. kernel and bumblebee-nvidia installation

just@alexsok ~ $ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install linux-image-amd64 linux-headers-amd64 linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64 linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64 linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common linux-compiler-gcc-4.8-x86 linux-libc-dev bumblebee-nvidia primus primus-libs:i386 nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig nvidia-modprobe
Building dependency tree       
  bumblebee irqbalance libnuma1 primus-libs
Suggested packages:
  linux-doc-3.16 debian-kernel-handbook
  irqbalance libnuma1 linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64 linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64
  nvidia-xconfig
  bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia linux-compiler-gcc-4.8-x86 linux-headers-amd64 linux-image-amd64 linux-libc-dev
  nvidia-modprobe nvidia-settings primus primus-libs primus-libs:i386
11 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1075 not upgraded.
Need to get 40.7 MB of archives.
After this operation, 187 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y <Enter>
Get:1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main libnuma1 amd64 2.0.10-1 [32.5 kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64 amd64 3.16.7-2 [33.5 MB]
Get:3 http://debian.solydxk.com/production/ testing/main irqbalance amd64 1.0.6-3 [31.1 kB]
Get:4 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/contrib nvidia-settings amd64 340.46-2 [720 kB]                             
Get:5 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/contrib bumblebee-nvidia amd64 3.2.1-7 [4,482 B]                            
Get:6 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main bumblebee amd64 3.2.1-7 [46.9 kB]                                      
Get:7 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/contrib nvidia-xconfig amd64 340.46-1 [76.9 kB]                             
Get:8 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main linux-compiler-gcc-4.8-x86 amd64 3.16.7-2 [270 kB]                     
Get:9 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common amd64 3.16.7-2 [4,459 kB]                
Get:10 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64 amd64 3.16.7-2 [446 kB]                  
Get:11 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main linux-headers-amd64 amd64 3.16+63 [5,050 B]                           
Get:12 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main linux-image-amd64 amd64 3.16+63 [5,824 B]                             
Get:13 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main linux-libc-dev amd64 3.16.7-2 [970 kB]                                
Get:14 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/contrib nvidia-modprobe amd64 340.46-1 [14.5 kB]                           
Get:15 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main primus amd64 0~20140711-1 [10.4 kB]                                   
Get:16 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main primus-libs i386 0~20140711-1 [54.6 kB]                               
Get:17 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main primus-libs amd64 0~20140711-1 [48.7 kB]                              
Fetched 40.7 MB in 40s (1,004 kB/s)                                                                                     
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously unselected package libnuma1:amd64.
(Reading database ... 152571 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libnuma1_2.0.10-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libnuma1:amd64 (2.0.10-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64_3.16.7-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64 (3.16.7-2) ...
Preparing to unpack .../nvidia-settings_340.46-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking nvidia-settings (340.46-2) over (340.32-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../bumblebee-nvidia_3.2.1-7_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking bumblebee-nvidia (3.2.1-7) over (3.2.1-5) ...
Preparing to unpack .../bumblebee_3.2.1-7_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking bumblebee (3.2.1-7) over (3.2.1-5) ...
Selecting previously unselected package nvidia-xconfig.
Preparing to unpack .../nvidia-xconfig_340.46-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking nvidia-xconfig (340.46-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-compiler-gcc-4.8-x86_3.16.7-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-compiler-gcc-4.8-x86 (3.16.7-2) over (3.16.3-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common.
Preparing to unpack .../linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common_3.16.7-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common (3.16.7-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64_3.16.7-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64 (3.16.7-2) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-headers-amd64_3.16+63_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-headers-amd64 (3.16+63) over (3.16+61) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-amd64_3.16+63_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-amd64 (3.16+63) over (3.16+61) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-libc-dev_3.16.7-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-libc-dev:amd64 (3.16.7-2) over (3.16.3-2) ...
Preparing to unpack .../nvidia-modprobe_340.46-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking nvidia-modprobe (340.46-1) over (340.32-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package irqbalance.
Preparing to unpack .../irqbalance_1.0.6-3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking irqbalance (1.0.6-3) ...
Preparing to unpack .../primus_0~20140711-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking primus (0~20140711-1) over (0~20131127-2) ...
Preparing to unpack .../primus-libs_0~20140711-1_amd64.deb ...
De-configuring primus-libs:i386 (0~20131127-2) ...
Unpacking primus-libs:amd64 (0~20140711-1) over (0~20131127-2) ...
Preparing to unpack .../primus-libs_0~20140711-1_i386.deb ...
Unpacking primus-libs:i386 (0~20140711-1) over (0~20131127-2) ...
Processing triggers for menu (2.1.47) ...
Processing triggers for nvidia-alternative (340.32-1) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.116) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.16-2-amd64
cryptsetup: WARNING: failed to detect canonical device of /dev/sdb2
cryptsetup: WARNING: could not determine root device from /etc/fstab
Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1) ...
Processing triggers for glx-alternative-nvidia (0.4.1) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-11) ...
Setting up libnuma1:amd64 (2.0.10-1) ...
Setting up linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64 (3.16.7-2) ...
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms:
sed: -e expression #1, char 6: unknown command: `m'
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools:
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub:
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found background image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.16-2-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.16-2-amd64
Found Arch4 on /dev/sda10
Found Arch5 on /dev/sda11
Found Arch6 on /dev/sda12
Found Arch7 on /dev/sda13
Found Arch  on /dev/sda6
Found Arch1 on /dev/sda7
Found Arch2 on /dev/sda8
Found Arch3 on /dev/sda9
done
Setting up nvidia-settings (340.46-2) ...
Setting up bumblebee (3.2.1-7) ...

Configuration file '/etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf'
 ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
 ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : start a shell to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** bumblebee.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? N <Enter>
Removing obsolete conffile /etc/modprobe.d/bumblebee.conf ...
Setting up nvidia-xconfig (340.46-1) ...
Setting up linux-compiler-gcc-4.8-x86 (3.16.7-2) ...
Setting up linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common (3.16.7-2) ...
Setting up linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64 (3.16.7-2) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms 3.16.0-4-amd64
Setting up linux-headers-amd64 (3.16+63) ...
Setting up linux-image-amd64 (3.16+63) ...
Setting up linux-libc-dev:amd64 (3.16.7-2) ...
Setting up nvidia-modprobe (340.46-1) ...
Setting up irqbalance (1.0.6-3) ...
Setting up primus-libs:amd64 (0~20140711-1) ...
Setting up primus-libs:i386 (0~20140711-1) ...
Setting up primus (0~20140711-1) ...
Setting up bumblebee-nvidia (3.2.1-7) ...
just@alexsok ~ $
2. reboot

3. daemon status = ok

just@alexsok ~ $ sudo systemctl status bumblebeed
[sudo] password for just:          
bumblebeed.service - Bumblebee C Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bumblebeed.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2014-11-13 22:59:15 MSK; 1min 16s ago
 Main PID: 1011 (bumblebeed)
   CGroup: /system.slice/bumblebeed.service
           └─1011 /usr/sbin/bumblebeed

Nov 13 22:59:15 alexsok.net systemd[1]: Started Bumblebee C Daemon.
Nov 13 22:59:32 alexsok.net bumblebeed[1011]: [   40.722978] [INFO]/usr/sbin/bumblebeed 3.2.1 started
4. optirun status = ok

just@alexsok ~ $ optirun --status
Bumblebee status: Ready (3.2.1). X inactive. Discrete video card is off.
5. default /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf sends optirun to run on nouveau and fails

just@alexsok ~ $ optirun pwd
[  122.223406] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) /dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version 1.4: Permission denied

[  122.223450] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
6. /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf modified by hand to force optirun run on nvidia

7. restarting daemon, to let it "see" the changes in bumblebee.conf

just@alexsok ~ $ sudo systemctl restart bumblebeed
8. modified /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf sends optirun to run on nvidia and fails

just@alexsok ~ $ optirun pwd
[  249.593641] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU, secondary X is not active.

[  249.593723] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
just@alexsok ~ $ 
9. turning computer off

10. going to sleep. good time of day all.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 13 Nov 2014 21:25

Have a good night.

It looks like those three extra packages only trigger things properly if there are no nvidia packages installed in the first place.

Judging by this page, nvidia-driver is a better bet. If you're up for it, maybe you could give it one more try with that package added. If that doesn't work, I don't know what else to add (except every single nvidia related package that happens to be installed already).
Frank

just

Postby just » 14 Nov 2014 07:16

sorry for the long post.

grizz, all but one packages you suggest are already installed by bumblebee-nvidia metapackage (details below):

nvidia-driver	installed
nvidia-modprobe installed
nvidia-settings	installed
nvidia-xconfig	not installed
what follow shows the working bumblebee config (from restore), adding jessie.list, updating kernel and bumblebee (this time with explicitely added nvidia-driver), not workinkg bumblebee.

working bumblebee-nvidia:

1. repos = solydxk default only

just@alexsok ~ $ inxi -r
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://home.solydxk.com/production solydxk main upstream import
           deb http://debian.solydxk.com/production testing main contrib non-free
           deb http://debian.solydxk.com/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
           deb http://community.solydxk.com/production solydxk main
just@alexsok ~ $ 
2. ddm popup (by Schoelje) = ok

Drivers tab
--
Hardware: NVIDIA Corporation GF [GeForce GT 555M]
Driver: Installed: bumblebee-nvidia (3.2.1-5)
3. nvidia-driver is installed

just@alexsok ~ $ apt policy nvidia-driver
nvidia-driver:
  Installed: 340.32-1
  Candidate: 340.32-1
  Version table:
 *** 340.32-1 0
        500 http://debian.solydxk.com/production/ testing/non-free amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
just@alexsok ~ $ 
4. nvidia-modprobe is installed

just@alexsok ~ $ apt policy nvidia-modprobe
nvidia-modprobe:
  Version table:
 *** 340.32-1 0
        500 http://debian.solydxk.com/production/ testing/contrib amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
just@alexsok ~ $ 
5. nvidia-settings is installed

just@alexsok ~ $ apt policy nvidia-settings
nvidia-settings:
  Version table:
 *** 340.32-1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
just@alexsok ~ $ 
6. nvidia-xconfig is not installed

just@alexsok ~ $ apt policy nvidia-xconfig
nvidia-xconfig:
  Installed: (none)
  Version table:
     340.32-1 0
just@alexsok ~ $ 
7. daemon status = ok

Active: active (running) since Fri 2014-11-14 08:04:33 MSK; 13min ago
 Main PID: 1010 (bumblebeed)
           └─1010 /usr/sbin/bumblebeed

Nov 14 08:04:33 alexsok.net systemd[1]: Started Bumblebee C Daemon.
Nov 14 08:04:46 alexsok.net bumblebeed[1010]: [   35.263335] [INFO]/usr/sbin/bumblebeed 3.2.1 started
just@alexsok ~ $ 
8. optirun status = ok

just@alexsok ~ $ 
9. any command executed without optirun runs on intel gpu

just@alexsok ~ $ inxi -Gxx
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0126
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF106M [GeForce GT 555M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0dcd
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.2.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
just@alexsok ~ $ 
10. the same command executed by optirun runs on nvidia gpu

just@alexsok ~ $ optirun inxi -Gxx
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 555M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 340.32 Direct Rendering: Yes
just@alexsok ~ $ 
in above examples bumblebee works correctly.

below bumblebee will stop working.

1. jessie repo added

just@alexsok ~ $ inxi -r
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://home.solydxk.com/production solydxk main upstream import
           deb http://debian.solydxk.com/production testing main contrib non-free
           deb http://debian.solydxk.com/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
           deb http://community.solydxk.com/production solydxk main
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jessie.list
just@alexsok ~ $ 
2. updating kernel and bumblebee, explicitely adding nvidia-driver nvidia-modprobe nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig packages (a huge piece of terminal output)

just@alexsok ~ $ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install linux-image-amd64 linux-headers-amd64 linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64 linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64 linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common linux-compiler-gcc-4.8-x86 linux-libc-dev bumblebee-nvidia primus primus-libs:i386 nvidia-driver nvidia-modprobe nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig
Get:1 http://ftp.debian.org testing InRelease [191 kB]
Hit http://community.solydxk.com solydxk InRelease                                                                                                          
Hit http://community.solydxk.com solydxk/main amd64 Packages                                                                                                
Get:2 http://ftp.debian.org testing/contrib Translation-en [38.9 kB]                                                               
Hit http://community.solydxk.com solydxk/main i386 Packages                                                                        
Get:3 http://ftp.debian.org testing/main Translation-en [4,632 kB]                                                                                                  
Ign http://community.solydxk.com solydxk/main Translation-en_US                                                                       
Ign http://community.solydxk.com solydxk/main Translation-en                                                                          
Hit http://debian.solydxk.com testing InRelease                                                                 
Hit http://home.solydxk.com solydxk InRelease                                                                    
Hit http://debian.solydxk.com testing/updates InRelease                                                          
Hit http://home.solydxk.com solydxk/main amd64 Packages                                    
Hit http://debian.solydxk.com testing/main amd64 Packages                               
Hit http://home.solydxk.com solydxk/upstream amd64 Packages                                                                                                                
Hit http://debian.solydxk.com testing/contrib amd64 Packages                                                                                                               
Hit http://home.solydxk.com solydxk/import amd64 Packages                                                                                                                  
Hit http://debian.solydxk.com testing/non-free amd64 Packages                                                                                                              
Hit http://home.solydxk.com solydxk/main i386 Packages                                                                                                                     
Hit http://debian.solydxk.com testing/main i386 Packages                                                                                                                   
Hit http://home.solydxk.com solydxk/upstream i386 Packages                                                                                                                 
Hit http://debian.solydxk.com testing/contrib i386 Packages                                                                                                                
Hit http://home.solydxk.com solydxk/import i386 Packages                                                                                                                   
Hit http://debian.solydxk.com testing/non-free i386 Packages                                                                                                               
Hit http://debian.solydxk.com testing/updates/main amd64 Packages                                                                                                          
Hit http://debian.solydxk.com testing/updates/contrib amd64 Packages                                                                                                       
Hit http://debian.solydxk.com testing/updates/non-free amd64 Packages                                                                                                      
Hit http://debian.solydxk.com testing/updates/main i386 Packages                                                                                                           
Hit http://debian.solydxk.com testing/updates/contrib i386 Packages                                                                                                        
Hit http://debian.solydxk.com testing/updates/non-free i386 Packages                                                                                                       
Ign http://home.solydxk.com solydxk/import Translation-en_US                                                                                                               
Ign http://home.solydxk.com solydxk/import Translation-en                                                                                                                  
Get:4 http://ftp.debian.org testing/non-free Translation-en [72.7 kB]                                                                                                      
Ign http://home.solydxk.com solydxk/main Translation-en_US                                                                                                                 
Ign http://home.solydxk.com solydxk/main Translation-en                                                                                                                    
Get:5 http://ftp.debian.org testing/main amd64 Packages [6,830 kB]                                                                                                         
Ign http://home.solydxk.com solydxk/upstream Translation-en_US                                                                                                             
Ign http://home.solydxk.com solydxk/upstream Translation-en                                                                                                                
Ign http://debian.solydxk.com testing/contrib Translation-en_US                                                                                                            
Ign http://debian.solydxk.com testing/contrib Translation-en                                                                                                               
Ign http://debian.solydxk.com testing/main Translation-en_US                                                                                                               
Ign http://debian.solydxk.com testing/main Translation-en                                                                                                                  
Ign http://debian.solydxk.com testing/non-free Translation-en_US                                                                                                           
Ign http://debian.solydxk.com testing/non-free Translation-en                                                                                                              
Ign http://debian.solydxk.com testing/updates/contrib Translation-en_US                                                                                                    
Ign http://debian.solydxk.com testing/updates/contrib Translation-en                                                                                                       
Ign http://debian.solydxk.com testing/updates/main Translation-en_US                                                                                                       
Ign http://debian.solydxk.com testing/updates/main Translation-en                                                                                                          
Ign http://debian.solydxk.com testing/updates/non-free Translation-en_US                                                                                                   
Ign http://debian.solydxk.com testing/updates/non-free Translation-en                                                                                                      
Get:6 http://ftp.debian.org testing/contrib amd64 Packages [50.3 kB]                                                                                                       
Get:7 http://ftp.debian.org testing/non-free amd64 Packages [85.1 kB]                                                                                                      
Get:8 http://ftp.debian.org testing/main i386 Packages [6,833 kB]                                                                                                          
Get:9 http://ftp.debian.org testing/contrib i386 Packages [49.8 kB]                                                                                                        
Get:10 http://ftp.debian.org testing/non-free i386 Packages [80.5 kB]                                                                                                      
Fetched 18.9 MB in 43s (434 kB/s)                                                                                                                                          
Building dependency tree       
  bumblebee irqbalance libegl1-nvidia libgl1-nvidia-glx libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 libgles1-nvidia libgles2-nvidia libnuma1 libnvidia-eglcore libnvidia-ml1 nvidia-alternative
  nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-vdpau-driver primus-libs xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
Suggested packages:
  linux-doc-3.16 debian-kernel-handbook
  irqbalance libegl1-nvidia libgles1-nvidia libgles2-nvidia libnuma1 libnvidia-eglcore linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64 linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common
  linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64 nvidia-xconfig
  bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia libgl1-nvidia-glx libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 libnvidia-ml1 linux-compiler-gcc-4.8-x86 linux-headers-amd64 linux-image-amd64 linux-libc-dev
  nvidia-alternative nvidia-driver nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-modprobe nvidia-settings nvidia-vdpau-driver primus primus-libs primus-libs:i386 xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
19 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1068 not upgraded.
Need to get 71.8 MB of archives.
After this operation, 231 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Get:1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/non-free libnvidia-eglcore amd64 340.46-3 [7,000 kB]
Get:2 http://debian.solydxk.com/production/ testing/main irqbalance amd64 1.0.6-3 [31.1 kB]    
Get:3 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/non-free libegl1-nvidia amd64 340.46-3 [281 kB]                                                                                
Get:4 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/non-free libnvidia-ml1 amd64 340.46-3 [410 kB]                                                                                 
Get:5 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/non-free nvidia-driver amd64 340.46-3 [513 kB]                                                                                 
Get:6 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/non-free xserver-xorg-video-nvidia amd64 340.46-3 [2,534 kB]                                                                   
Get:7 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/non-free nvidia-kernel-dkms amd64 340.46-3 [4,020 kB]                                                                          
Get:8 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/non-free nvidia-vdpau-driver amd64 340.46-3 [966 kB]                                                                           
Get:9 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/non-free nvidia-alternative amd64 340.46-3 [131 kB]                                                                            
Get:10 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/contrib nvidia-settings amd64 340.46-2 [720 kB]                                                                               
Get:11 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/contrib nvidia-modprobe amd64 340.46-1 [14.5 kB]                                                                              
Get:12 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/non-free libgl1-nvidia-glx i386 340.46-3 [7,491 kB]                                                                           
Get:13 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/non-free libgl1-nvidia-glx amd64 340.46-3 [7,467 kB]                                                                          
Get:14 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/non-free libgles1-nvidia amd64 340.46-3 [145 kB]                                                                              
Get:15 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/non-free libgles2-nvidia amd64 340.46-3 [148 kB]                                                                              
Get:16 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main libnuma1 amd64 2.0.10-1 [32.5 kB]                                                                                        
Get:17 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64 amd64 3.16.7-2 [33.5 MB]                                                                      
Get:18 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/contrib bumblebee-nvidia amd64 3.2.1-7 [4,482 B]                                                                              
Get:19 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main bumblebee amd64 3.2.1-7 [46.9 kB]                                                                                        
Get:20 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/contrib nvidia-xconfig amd64 340.46-1 [76.9 kB]                                                                               
Get:21 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main linux-compiler-gcc-4.8-x86 amd64 3.16.7-2 [270 kB]                                                                       
Get:22 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common amd64 3.16.7-2 [4,459 kB]                                                                  
Get:23 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64 amd64 3.16.7-2 [446 kB]                                                                     
Get:24 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main linux-headers-amd64 amd64 3.16+63 [5,050 B]                                                                              
Get:25 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main linux-image-amd64 amd64 3.16+63 [5,824 B]                                                                                
Get:26 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main linux-libc-dev amd64 3.16.7-2 [970 kB]                                                                                   
Get:27 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main primus amd64 0~20140711-1 [10.4 kB]                                                                                      
Get:28 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main primus-libs i386 0~20140711-1 [54.6 kB]                                                                                  
Get:29 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main primus-libs amd64 0~20140711-1 [48.7 kB]                                                                                 
Fetched 71.8 MB in 2min 5s (572 kB/s)                                                                                                                                      
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously unselected package libnvidia-eglcore:amd64.
(Reading database ... 152571 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libnvidia-eglcore_340.46-3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libnvidia-eglcore:amd64 (340.46-3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libegl1-nvidia:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../libegl1-nvidia_340.46-3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libegl1-nvidia:amd64 (340.46-3) ...
Preparing to unpack .../libnvidia-ml1_340.46-3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libnvidia-ml1:amd64 (340.46-3) over (340.32-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../nvidia-driver_340.46-3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking nvidia-driver (340.46-3) over (340.32-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../nvidia-vdpau-driver_340.46-3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking nvidia-vdpau-driver:amd64 (340.46-3) over (340.32-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../xserver-xorg-video-nvidia_340.46-3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking xserver-xorg-video-nvidia (340.46-3) over (340.32-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../nvidia-alternative_340.46-3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking nvidia-alternative (340.46-3) over (340.32-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../nvidia-settings_340.46-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking nvidia-settings (340.46-2) over (340.32-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../nvidia-modprobe_340.46-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking nvidia-modprobe (340.46-1) over (340.32-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../nvidia-kernel-dkms_340.46-3_amd64.deb ...

-------- Uninstall Beginning --------
Module:  nvidia-current
Version: 340.32
Kernel:  3.16-2-amd64 (x86_64)
-------------------------------------

Status: Before uninstall, this module version was ACTIVE on this kernel.

nvidia-current.ko:
 - Uninstallation
   - Deleting from: /lib/modules/3.16-2-amd64/updates/dkms/
 - Original module
   - No original module was found for this module on this kernel.
   - Use the dkms install command to reinstall any previous module version.

nvidia-uvm.ko:
 - Uninstallation
   - Deleting from: /lib/modules/3.16-2-amd64/updates/dkms/
 - Original module
   - No original module was found for this module on this kernel.
   - Use the dkms install command to reinstall any previous module version.

depmod......

DKMS: uninstall completed.

------------------------------
Deleting module version: 340.32
completely from the DKMS tree.
------------------------------
Done.
Unpacking nvidia-kernel-dkms (340.46-3) over (340.32-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../libgl1-nvidia-glx_340.46-3_i386.deb ...
De-configuring libgl1-nvidia-glx:amd64 (340.32-1) ...
Unpacking libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 (340.46-3) over (340.32-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../libgl1-nvidia-glx_340.46-3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libgl1-nvidia-glx:amd64 (340.46-3) over (340.32-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libgles1-nvidia:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../libgles1-nvidia_340.46-3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libgles1-nvidia:amd64 (340.46-3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libgles2-nvidia:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../libgles2-nvidia_340.46-3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libgles2-nvidia:amd64 (340.46-3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libnuma1:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../libnuma1_2.0.10-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libnuma1:amd64 (2.0.10-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64_3.16.7-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64 (3.16.7-2) ...
Preparing to unpack .../bumblebee-nvidia_3.2.1-7_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking bumblebee-nvidia (3.2.1-7) over (3.2.1-5) ...
Preparing to unpack .../bumblebee_3.2.1-7_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking bumblebee (3.2.1-7) over (3.2.1-5) ...
Selecting previously unselected package nvidia-xconfig.
Preparing to unpack .../nvidia-xconfig_340.46-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking nvidia-xconfig (340.46-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-compiler-gcc-4.8-x86_3.16.7-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-compiler-gcc-4.8-x86 (3.16.7-2) over (3.16.3-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common.
Preparing to unpack .../linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common_3.16.7-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common (3.16.7-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64_3.16.7-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64 (3.16.7-2) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-headers-amd64_3.16+63_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-headers-amd64 (3.16+63) over (3.16+61) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-amd64_3.16+63_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-amd64 (3.16+63) over (3.16+61) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-libc-dev_3.16.7-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-libc-dev:amd64 (3.16.7-2) over (3.16.3-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package irqbalance.
Preparing to unpack .../irqbalance_1.0.6-3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking irqbalance (1.0.6-3) ...
Preparing to unpack .../primus_0~20140711-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking primus (0~20140711-1) over (0~20131127-2) ...
Preparing to unpack .../primus-libs_0~20140711-1_amd64.deb ...
De-configuring primus-libs:i386 (0~20131127-2) ...
Unpacking primus-libs:amd64 (0~20140711-1) over (0~20131127-2) ...
Preparing to unpack .../primus-libs_0~20140711-1_i386.deb ...
Unpacking primus-libs:i386 (0~20140711-1) over (0~20131127-2) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.56) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1) ...
Setting up libnvidia-eglcore:amd64 (340.46-3) ...
Setting up libegl1-nvidia:amd64 (340.46-3) ...
Setting up libnvidia-ml1:amd64 (340.46-3) ...
Setting up nvidia-modprobe (340.46-1) ...
Setting up nvidia-alternative (340.46-3) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/nvidia/nvidia-modprobe.conf ...
Setting up libgles1-nvidia:amd64 (340.46-3) ...
Setting up libgles2-nvidia:amd64 (340.46-3) ...
Setting up libnuma1:amd64 (2.0.10-1) ...
Setting up linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64 (3.16.7-2) ...
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools:
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub:
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found background image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.16-2-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.16-2-amd64
Found Arch4 on /dev/sda10
Found Arch5 on /dev/sda11
Found Arch6 on /dev/sda12
Found Arch7 on /dev/sda13
Found Arch on /dev/sda6
Found Arch1 on /dev/sda7
Found Arch2 on /dev/sda8
Found Arch3 on /dev/sda9
done
Setting up bumblebee (3.2.1-7) ...

Configuration file '/etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf'
 ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
 ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : start a shell to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** bumblebee.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? N
Removing obsolete conffile /etc/modprobe.d/bumblebee.conf ...
Setting up nvidia-xconfig (340.46-1) ...
Setting up linux-compiler-gcc-4.8-x86 (3.16.7-2) ...
Setting up linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common (3.16.7-2) ...
Setting up linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64 (3.16.7-2) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms 3.16.0-4-amd64
Setting up linux-headers-amd64 (3.16+63) ...
Setting up linux-image-amd64 (3.16+63) ...
Setting up linux-libc-dev:amd64 (3.16.7-2) ...
Setting up irqbalance (1.0.6-3) ...
Setting up primus-libs:amd64 (0~20140711-1) ...
Setting up primus-libs:i386 (0~20140711-1) ...
Setting up primus (0~20140711-1) ...
Processing triggers for nvidia-alternative (340.46-3) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia/current to provide /usr/lib/nvidia/nvidia (nvidia) in auto mode
Setting up nvidia-kernel-dkms (340.46-3) ...
Loading new nvidia-current-340.46 DKMS files...
Building for 3.16-2-amd64 and 3.16.0-4-amd64
Building initial module for 3.16-2-amd64
Done.

nvidia-current:
Running module version sanity check.
 - Original module
   - No original module exists within this kernel
 - Installation
   - Installing to /lib/modules/3.16-2-amd64/updates/dkms/

nvidia-uvm.ko:
 - Original module
 - Installation
   - Installing to /lib/modules/3.16-2-amd64/updates/dkms/

depmod....

DKMS: install completed.
Building initial module for 3.16.0-4-amd64
Done.

nvidia-current:
 - Original module
 - Installation
   - Installing to /lib/modules/3.16.0-4-amd64/updates/dkms/

nvidia-uvm.ko:
 - Original module
 - Installation
   - Installing to /lib/modules/3.16.0-4-amd64/updates/dkms/

depmod....

DKMS: install completed.
Setting up nvidia-settings (340.46-2) ...
Setting up bumblebee-nvidia (3.2.1-7) ...
Setting up libgl1-nvidia-glx:amd64 (340.46-3) ...
Setting up libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 (340.46-3) ...
Setting up xserver-xorg-video-nvidia (340.46-3) ...
Setting up nvidia-vdpau-driver:amd64 (340.46-3) ...
Setting up nvidia-driver (340.46-3) ...
just@alexsok ~ $ 
3. reboot

4. ddm (by Schoelje) = ok? it's different now

Drivers tab
--
Hardware: No supported third party drivers needed
Driver: <void>
5. nvidia-driver is updated

just@alexsok ~ $ apt policy nvidia-driver
nvidia-driver:
  Installed: 340.46-3
  Candidate: 340.46-3
  Version table:
 *** 340.46-3 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/non-free amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     340.32-1 0
        500 http://debian.solydxk.com/production/ testing/non-free amd64 Packages
just@alexsok ~ $ 
6. nvidia-modprobe is updated

just@alexsok ~ $ apt policy nvidia-modprobe
nvidia-modprobe:
  Installed: 340.46-1
  Candidate: 340.46-1
  Version table:
 *** 340.46-1 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/contrib amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     340.32-1 0
just@alexsok ~ $ 
7. nvidia-settings is updated

just@alexsok ~ $ apt policy nvidia-settings
nvidia-settings:
  Installed: 340.46-2
  Candidate: 340.46-2
  Version table:
 *** 340.46-2 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     340.32-1 0
just@alexsok ~ $ 
8. nvidia-xconfig is installed

just@alexsok ~ $ apt policy nvidia-xconfig
nvidia-xconfig:
  Installed: 340.46-1
  Candidate: 340.46-1
  Version table:
 *** 340.46-1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     340.32-1 0
just@alexsok ~ $ 
9. daemon status = ok, but uses nouveau (wrong)

Active: active (running) since Fri 2014-11-14 09:00:46 MSK; 10min ago
 Main PID: 1018 (bumblebeed)
           └─1018 /usr/sbin/bumblebeed

Nov 14 09:00:46 alexsok.net systemd[1]: Started Bumblebee C Daemon.
Nov 14 09:01:00 alexsok.net bumblebeed[1018]: [   38.602346] [INFO]/usr/sbin/bumblebeed 3.2.1 started
Nov 14 09:01:00 alexsok.net bumblebeed[1018]: rmmod: ERROR: Module nouveau is in use
Nov 14 09:01:03 alexsok.net bumblebeed[1018]: [   41.616227] [ERROR]Unloading nouveau driver timed out.
just@alexsok ~ $ 
10. optirun status = ok

just@alexsok ~ $ 
11. any command executed without optirun runs on intel gpu

just@alexsok ~ $ inxi -Gxx
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.1 drivers: nouveau,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.2.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
just@alexsok ~ $ 
12. the same command executed by optirun must run on nvidia gpu; it fails using nouveau drivers

[  790.396340] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) /dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version 1.4: Permission denied

[  790.396368] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
just@alexsok ~ $ 
13. editing /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf by hand to force optirun use nvidia drivers

14. restarting daemon, to let it "see" modified bumblebee.conf

just@alexsok ~ $ sudo systemctl restart bumblebeed
just@alexsok ~ $ 
15. checking daemon status again = ok

Active: active (running) since Fri 2014-11-14 09:28:21 MSK; 1min 7s ago
 Main PID: 2706 (bumblebeed)
           └─2706 /usr/sbin/bumblebeed

Nov 14 09:28:21 alexsok.net systemd[1]: Started Bumblebee C Daemon.
Nov 14 09:28:21 alexsok.net bumblebeed[2706]: [ 1680.237209] [INFO]/usr/sbin/bumblebeed 3.2.1 started
just@alexsok ~ $ 
16. executing inxi with optirun again; this time it fails using nvidia drivers

[ 1830.305999] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU, secondary X is not active.

[ 1830.306111] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
just@alexsok ~ $ 
bumblebee doesn't work.

the situation is exactly the same as yesterday evening. explicitely adding nvidia-driver doesn't cure the problem.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 14 Nov 2014 07:36

In that case I'm out of ideas. Getting this combination to work is beyond me. Unless someone else comes forward with the solution (or at least provides insight into why this doesn't work), it looks like this is a no-go. Probably not a good idea to push this update under these circumstances... :(

Thanks again for all your efforts.
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 14 Nov 2014 10:36

This doesn't feel right. Holding back a kernel update because one brand of graphics card may not be able to deal with it is just wrong.

I'm going to upload the kernel update tomorrow. The nvidia updates will be held back. That way the 'old' system should remain fully functional if the new kernel and nvidia graphics don't play nice (the previous kernel should remain selectable in the GRUB menu). So effectively nothing changes for nvidia users with issues and all others can benefit from the update.

Better suggestions, anyone?
Frank

Snap

Postby Snap » 14 Nov 2014 11:26

This doesn't feel right. Holding back a kernel update because one brand of graphics card may not be able to deal with it is just wrong.
Absolutely.
I'm going to upload the kernel update tomorrow. The nvidia updates will be held back. That way the 'old' system should remain fully functional if the new kernel and nvidia graphics don't play nice (the previous kernel should remain selectable in the GRUB menu). So effectively nothing changes for nvidia users with issues and all others can benefit from the update.
I will put the new kernel on hold until this is solved. Nouveau is a no-no for my GPU. Not supported for almost a year and don't want to go through the nvidia manual re-install mess once again for a new kernel version that will bring little improvements (if any) for my particular system. 8-)
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

MAYBL8

Re: [Official Thread] Home Edition security updates

Postby MAYBL8 » 15 Nov 2014 13:10

As I very much appreiciate the work you do for getting us the security updates. In this case I have to ask the question:
Does the security risk out weigh the potential problem that implementing it might cause?
Sorry for putting this here. Please move it to the talk thread.
Last edited by zerozero on 15 Nov 2014 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved from the [Official Thread]

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 15 Nov 2014 14:33

Update applied:

dcihon@dcihon-solydk64 ~ $ uname -a
Linux dcihon-solydk64 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-2 (2014-11-06) x86_64 GNU/Linux
No ill affects to report from my nvidia card:

dcihon@dcihon-solydk64 ~ $ inxi -Gxx
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0402
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.1 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1280x1024@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 8600 GT/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.32 Direct Rendering: Yes

Return to “News & Anouncements”