UP and BE/BO 2014.07.15

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
pascale

Re: UP and BE/BO 2014.07.15

Postby pascale » 22 Jul 2014 14:20

@ScottQuier

I'm late in responding but thank you!

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge hal hal-info
solved my udev error problems.

Pascale

amadlopes

Postby amadlopes » 22 Jul 2014 21:16

Hello,

I'm having problems after the update too.

First, after the update I rebooted and I coudn't login. Then I enter on the CLI and made a reinstalation of kde-workspace-bin and other solutions that I found here in the forum. Now when I reboot right before the login screen I get a message "Cannot open theme file /usr/share/kde/apps/kdm/themes/solydk".

If I do a apt dist-update I get an error on solydx-artwork:

2 not fully installed or removed.
/var/lib/dpkg/info/solydx-artwork.postinst: 159: /var/lib/dpkg/info/solydx-artwork.postinst: glib-compile-shemas: not found
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit satus 127
Setting up solydxk-system (1.2.0)
snd-hda-intel model already set
pcspkr already blacklisted
cp: cannot create regular file '/usr/share/kde4/apps/quassel/scripts/inxi': No such file or directory
Failed to get D-Bus connection: No connection to service manager.
dpkg: error processing package solydxk-system (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 solydx-artwork
 solydxk-system
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I already google and search on the forum, but I can't the system ok

Please help.

Thanks,

Afonso

UPDATE
I already used all the "tools" on the July Update Pack Survival's kit but nothing worked, solydx-artwork still getting error code (1) and I can't enter GUI.

What can I do more ? Do I really have to reinstall the system ?

Thanks

kyomar

Postby kyomar » 23 Jul 2014 06:19

Thank you ScottQuier for your response/help - much appreciated.

- I have re-installed evolution and no data was lost - uffff.
- the greyed out buttons (shut down etc.) are working after reboot - as you said.
- I haven't removed the files mentioned, I guess they don't hurt.

The system runs very smouth, it even feels faster and more responsive than before. I am really pleased, the developers and testers did a great job. I think it's time to donate some money. I hope solydxk will be here for many years to come.

Thank you all!

Gonzalo_VC

Postby Gonzalo_VC » 23 Jul 2014 15:01

Gee, guys, I made a full / installation (/home preserved) in that i3, Gygabite MoBo, Intel chipset SolydK 64 machine and it doesnt enter the graphical mode, nor the text mode to change something in KDE. :cry:
Is is the KDE - video-card relationship that went wrong?
In the previous setting, I tried with other kernels installed there and didn't work either. But the machine was perfect before the last update.
Is it the /home partition that may have something bothering the configuration??

THANKS!

Don't be a pirate, nor a slave. Use GNU/Linux!
GNU/Linux user 451206
SolydXK, GALPon MiniNo, PCLinuxOS, Xubuntu

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 23 Jul 2014 15:28

Gonzalo_VC wrote:Gee, guys, I made a full / installation (/home preserved) in that i3, Gygabite MoBo, Intel chipset SolydK 64 machine and it doesnt enter the graphical mode, nor the text mode to change something in KDE. :cry:
Is is the KDE - video-card relationship that went wrong?
In the previous setting, I tried with other kernels installed there and didn't work either. But the machine was perfect before the last update.
Is it the /home partition that may have something bothering the configuration??

THANKS!
When I've done something like this, I rename the /home/<user name> folder to /home/<old username> or some such so that I create a whole new user folder on /home. I do this while booted in the LiveUSB and before I start the install.

Then, once the install is finished and I've rebooted the computer, I copy the data I want to keep from /home/<old username> to /home/<new user name>. I am very careful about config files. For the most part, I don't copy any DE config files over. I've just found it easier to re-configure the DE than to figure out what problems I might have copied over with the old config.

Once the copy is finished and I'm sure I've copied everything I want, I just rm -rf /home/<old username>

Sometime, I backup /home/<old username> before I blow it away .... just in case. ;)
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Gonzalo_VC

Postby Gonzalo_VC » 23 Jul 2014 15:41

ScottQuier wrote:...When I've done something like this, I rename the /home/<user name> folder to /home/<old username> or some such so that I create a whole new user folder on /home. I do this while booted in the LiveUSB and before I start the install....
Sometime, I backup /home/<old username> before I blow it away .... just in case. ;)
Thanks.
I was thinking 2 things: 1) a plymouth problem, 2) something in the configuration files inside /home... Any ideas, team members?
But the mystery is that the machine was working after may (I'm using the 201405 ISO, that is why I mention this), before the crazy last update. Now even with the root partition formated, it doesn't work.
After lunch I'll try a full formating (yes, I backed-up the files there ;-) ).

GNU/Linux user 451206

Gonzalo_VC

Postby Gonzalo_VC » 23 Jul 2014 17:49

OK, no deal. I have just made a full formatting ( / and /home), i.e. no configurations problems, and instead of a graphical mode I got that loop back to log-in screen, and no console-like window: I got a "blank" black screen, no cursor, no typing possible, so I cannot make the network "up" nor instal kde-blablabla.

I guess I'd have to try an older ISO, perhaps, to see if it was something new that turned my favorite distro incompatible with that video card! :cry:
"Shut!"

Any other suggestions?
If it doesn't work, I shall have to install another distro in that machine, to my sadness. This part of the university (my lab) has 2 SK64 and 3 SX32 mode machines. With the "sick one", I had 6 SolydXK computers, here.

GNU/Linux user 451206

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 23 Jul 2014 17:58

Maybe try one of the development ISOs?

http://downloads.solydxk.nl/dev/
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Gonzalo_VC

Postby Gonzalo_VC » 23 Jul 2014 18:02

grizzler wrote:Maybe try one of the development ISOs?

http://downloads.solydxk.nl/dev/
Perhaps.
After that, can I transform it into a "stable" (even being the home version) machine?
It is a workstation, not a testing machine, OK?

And I assume this ISO has the KDE "problem" solved. Am I right?

GNU/Linux user 451206

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 23 Jul 2014 18:43

Not sure what you mean. The July update had the removal of the kdenext packages, which called for a special procedure, and the solydk-system-adjustments problem (an old file that wasn't properly removed/replaced and caused the KDM screen to reappear after log in). Both of these issues were handled automatically if the update was run in the right order. Neither kdenext nor the old file are part of the new ISOs.

But the new ISOs are still in /dev, so if you don't want to run the risk of further disappointment, trying them now may not be the best idea. I don't see a lot of problems mentioned in the testing thread, though.

On the other hand, if you're after 'stable', why not use a BE or BO ISO (even a 201405 one)? They are stable (i.e. based on Debian Stable/Wheezy). An install based on Debian Testing can never be guaranteed to be perfectly stable.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 23 Jul 2014 18:44

Gonzalo
it's odd that the installation will fail that way (the KDE problem mentioned in this topic comes with the UP and not with the isos itself);
so the issue has to be somewhere else;
a failed installation somehow; but where and how?

the easiest way to see that is running the installer through the terminal with

live-installer
and post the output here [be aware that if the installation is successful and the install runs until the end you need to remove the userid and password from the output]

===
another idea is to install the Business Ed.
as you say it's a workstation and you depend on the reliability of that machine so the BE is (IMO) a better option for you.
bliss of ignorance

Gonzalo_VC

Postby Gonzalo_VC » 23 Jul 2014 21:38

Thanks, Grizzler and Zerozero.
Yes, it is very weird the system got stuck in the log-in screen :-(

What I meant with "stable" is that even the Home Edition has some point when it becomes official, not testing (in the SolydXK level, not Debian, since Solyd is always Debian-testing!) or "production", as the team calls it.
I have already migrated all those machines do SolydXK HE, and migrating them to the BE or BO version would be a step back, since those are a little less modern in terms of application versions (Libreoffice, Firefox, etc.), right?

I'll give it a last try with the new ISO (pre-release) and pray it's OK. Otherwise, a DVD from last semester could help... or I'll jump to one of the other distros I use in other machines (PCLinuxOS, Xubuntu and MiniNo for much older hardware).

But first things first. Tomorrow I'll come back with news.
Cheers!

PS: Two things: 1) when I started using and installing and spreading SolydXK, there was only the "home" edition, so I sticked to it in a lot of machines at home and the university (~10); 2) I see now that the BE has, also, updated software but the core is Wheezy instead of Jessie ;-) OK then, could have been the best option for some machines. But it is not "rolling", right?

GNU/Linux user 451206

MoldMe

Postby MoldMe » 24 Jul 2014 03:45

Just wanted to say thanks and great job to everyone involved with putting together the 2014.07.15 UP. I had a few minor issues, but everything is working fine.

I had an issue with the downgrade script. I ran it and it appeared to do nothing. Then, I experienced two oddities after running the script. One, I was not able to perform an aptitude update and I was unable to run bleachbit with superuser rights.

I rebooted my system and ran the downgrade script again. This time, it worked, but it also proceeeded to perform an apt-get dist-upgrade. I wasn't expecting that and would have preferred that that not happen. I thought the script was only downgrading some packages.

In the end, though, everything seems to be working fine. Thanks again everyone.

20140726-01 edit: Well, I thought everything was working fine. updatemanager continued indicating an update was available, but I ignored it. However, two days ago, I performed an aptitude full-upgrade and it was as though the 07/15 update had not occurred. So, I went ahead and allowed the full-upgrade to run.

Yesterday, updatemanager again indicated that an update was available. When i opened updatemanager, I was presented with info about the 07/15 update. Performing a aptitude full-upgrade again indicated that the 07/15 update had not occurred. I then looked at the apt history.log file and noticed an error with dpkg.

At this point, I was dumbfounded. What had gone wrong? I reviewed some of the posts on the forums here about issues with the update, but none of them seemed to apply to me. Therefore, I decided to purge updatemanager, reran aptitude full-upgrade again, and this time, the complete update was installed. I no longer have any updates pending when I run aptitude full-upgrade.

I think I'll leave updatemanager off of my system. I haven't had good experiences with it. I prefer not to have my hand held anyway. I prefer updating with aptitude.

CrunchBang -- Siduction -- SolydBang (Openbox, Tint2, most of XFCE4 removed, CrunchBang scripts)

cruachan

Postby cruachan » 24 Jul 2014 08:56

@John. Thanks for your link and suggestion about removing the whole HDMI audio. I'm going to be busy for the next couple of days with other things but I'll let you know the outcome when I've tried it.

Gonzalo_VC

Postby Gonzalo_VC » 24 Jul 2014 13:25

zerozero wrote:Gonzalo
it's odd that the installation will fail that way (the KDE problem mentioned in this topic comes with the UP and not with the isos itself);
so the issue has to be somewhere else;
a failed installation somehow; but where and how?
The 1 million question, my friend! It is really odd. The machine is fine (as long as I see), has an Intel chipset and vide-card, that are very compatible with GNU/Linux, and all. But I get a totally black screen after the installation boot and log-in attempt.
zerozero wrote:the easiest way to see that is running the installer through the terminal with

live-installer
and post the output here [be aware that if the installation is successful and the install runs until the end you need to remove the userid and password from the output]
Where? When?
As soon as the installation splash appears, I can click on ESC and search for that option? or write it?
zerozero wrote:another idea is to install the Business Ed.
as you say it's a workstation and you depend on the reliability of that machine so the BE is (IMO) a better option for you.
Yea... but the whole "rolling release" distro is my preference, now, for the sake of perpetuating the distro, not needing to re-install it from time to time. That is why I am not using the *buntus... that I respect, for instance; only MiniNo in older machines, and I am into SolydXK and PCLinuxOS ;-)

I'll try with that pre-release ISO and see what happens.

GNU/Linux user 451206

Gonzalo_VC

Postby Gonzalo_VC » 24 Jul 2014 15:12

Sorry for posting 2 times in a row, but I'm happy!
SolydK 64 (Home Ed.) pre-reslease 2014.07 is working in this complicated machine (that was giving me a black screen after trying to boot). I'm in love, again :D
Long live SolydXK!
it_s__working.png
It's working!!
it_s__working.png (76.36 KiB) Viewed 4479 times

GNU/Linux user 451206

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 24 Jul 2014 16:13

@Gonzalo_VC

Even though I've not been able to help you, I am very happy you got it sorted out. I've been running the RC iso as my main machine for about a week now. I've had absolutely no problems with it.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

john

Postby john » 24 Jul 2014 16:15

24th July update fails with
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/../lib/solydxk/updatemanager/updatemanager.py", line 855, in <module>
UpdateManager()
File "/usr/bin/../lib/solydxk/updatemanager/updatemanager.py", line 185, in __init__
self.apt = UmApt(self.umglobal)
File "/usr/lib/solydxk/updatemanager/umapt.py", line 31, in __init__
self.createPackagesInfoList()
File "/usr/lib/solydxk/updatemanager/umapt.py", line 63, in createPackagesInfoList
self.packagesInfo.append([pck, ver, avVer])
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'avVer' referenced before assignment

Gonzalo_VC

Postby Gonzalo_VC » 24 Jul 2014 16:32

ScottQuier wrote:@Gonzalo_VC
Even though I've not been able to help you, I am very happy you got it sorted out. I've been running the RC iso as my main machine for about a week now. I've had absolutely no problems with it.
Thank you, Scott. Don't worry.
And nobody is happier than me, not even Arjen :lol:
For me, besides being a tool for everyday working, "interneting", and leisure, using GNU/Linux is a philosophy of life. And when it shows is nicer and more stable than other systems, I'm very, very happy. It really makes me sad and frustrated when I have problems such as this (in the past, when the problem persisted, I have switched distros; I'd like to stay in one or two distros for good and long, now). But, fortunately, now it is solved!
Remember that I not only use, but also spread and recommend SolydXK. So, the deal was indeed big, form me!

QUESTIONS AND CONSIDERATIONS:
:?: Should I have to alter some repo to make this version the "normal" home one? I mean (I didn't check there, but) if apt-get is pointing to production instead of current or whatever, what should I do?

:!: I know SolydXK Home Ed. is made on Debian testing and, so, that means some minor problems may arise from time to time. It's life. We can live with that if we want a (semi-) rolling release distribution. I do.

:!: And, next time, I'll wait a week before updating the system :P

GNU/Linux user 451206

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 24 Jul 2014 16:58

john wrote:24th July update fails with
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/../lib/solydxk/updatemanager/updatemanager.py", line 855, in <module>
UpdateManager()
File "/usr/bin/../lib/solydxk/updatemanager/updatemanager.py", line 185, in __init__
self.apt = UmApt(self.umglobal)
File "/usr/lib/solydxk/updatemanager/umapt.py", line 31, in __init__
self.createPackagesInfoList()
File "/usr/lib/solydxk/updatemanager/umapt.py", line 63, in createPackagesInfoList
self.packagesInfo.append([pck, ver, avVer])
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'avVer' referenced before assignment
Not my turf but looks like python errors to me.
In case that helps.
I looked at your pastebin john at
http://pastebin.com/ySWSe0nT

Return to “News & Anouncements”