Well, Broke mine for a bit. I hit reboot because I thought I was done because update-manager was gone from the screen on this i386 install on this netbook,
Reboot. All icons gone, and no wallpaper, or wifi . Taskbar (XFCE) does not have much there. It looks bad and broken. So.
To unfubar my operator error. Let it finish in terminal.
Now XFCE and Login screen (lightdm) which was stark and barrren. Well. Things look improved now with a lightdm background (my custom one). I Login. I run update-manager again. It goes through the whole update process again (kinda like starting over from scratch). I get the original post screen in this thread finally in Update Manager and a lovely gtk window
saying my "system is up to date" (approximate statement in window). To show what I mean. I have not used autoremove
yet because I have spent enough time fixing this install from my mistakes,
Code: Select all
harry@biker:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
[sudo] password for harry:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
g++-4.8 libcamel-1.2-43 libebackend-1.2-6 libecal-1.2-15
libedata-book-1.2-17 libedataserver-1.2-17 liblivemedia33 libmikmod2
libpoppler37 libstdc++-4.8-dev libxatracker1
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Over Thinking cap on now.
Part of what threw me for a loop and probably caused me to think my install was fubar was
This likely means that your installation is broken.
Try running the command
gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
to make things work again for the time being. at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 141.
Processing triggers for menu (2.1.46) .
while I was watching the original upgrade process. It was a red herring though.
I payed attention because I saw this before
in my other Debian installs and I had the same symptoms (no images or icons) on a reboot.
http://antix.freeforums.org/gtk-update- ... t4891.html
Anyways, My install is just fine now. I am posting this post mainly for info in case other users bork their upgrade
like I did mine by closing things down too early.
Edit: Just responding to :
Conclusion: we really need a lot more testers with a lot more different setups.
My setup for a reference.
Code: Select all
harry@biker:~$ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: biker Kernel: 3.14-1-486 i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.8.3)
Desktop: N/A Distro: SolydXK 1 testing
Machine: System: manda product: Intel powered classmate PC v: Gen 1.5L
Mobo: N/A model: N/A
Bios: American Megatrends v: CM94515A.86A.0024.2008.0715.1716 date: 07/15/2008
CPU: Single core Intel Atom N270 (-UP-) cache: 512 KB
flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 3191 clocked at 1600 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2
GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.14-1-486
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: ec00 bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 30.0GB (59.4% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_HS030GB size: 30.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 6.7G used: 6.1G (97%) fs: ext3 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: /home size: 20G used: 9.2G (51%) fs: ext3 dev: /dev/sda2
ID-3: swap-1 size: 1.58GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 61.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 150 Uptime: 2:17 Memory: 445.8/2016.4MB
Init: SysVinit runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.9.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.1.28
harry@biker:~$ inxi -r
Repos: Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://packages.solydxk.com/testing/ solydxk main upstream import kdenext
deb http://debian.solydxk.com/testing testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.solydxk.com/testing/multimedia testing main non-free
deb http://debian.solydxk.com/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://community.solydxk.com/testing/ solydxk main
harry@biker:~$ apt-cache policy updatemanager
*** 2.3.7 0
500 http://packages.solydxk.com/testing/ solydxk/main i386 Packages
The only thing I wonder is it OK now to run autoremove next to finish this upgrade off.