The future of SolydXK

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
zerozero

Re: The future of SolydXK

Postby zerozero » 20 Aug 2014 21:39

tsd
have you seen the FAQ we published today?
might help to clarify.
bliss of ignorance

oneleaf

Postby oneleaf » 20 Aug 2014 23:39

I think this is great news, especially if the team believes this will create a better product. I have used Debian Stable, and currently use Crunchbang for my VM's which is also based on Stable. Honestly, I prefer Stable over Testing.

Also, doing a dist-upgrade as opposed to a clean reinstall, I believe, is well supported with Debian as long as you read the release notes. After reading the recently posted FAQ, it seems like the Solydx team is making it a high priority to make upgrading easier, something that I think will be a huge benefit.

I actually installed a Debian Stable machine a couple of days ago with Xfce desktop. Honestly, it works just fine, but Solydx's implementation of it is much nicer and it's just a better out of the box experience. I think with the new direction, Solydx will have the single best Xfce experience available for newbies and experienced users alike.

bartonic

Postby bartonic » 21 Aug 2014 22:57

Hi All

I just wanted to show my support for the idea of switching to debian stable. This is ultimately what I wanted: a stable XFCE version...only that this did not exist when I started with SolydXK (so went with SolydX in the end).

Just a thought that occurred to me --- I'm a little curious as to who led who on the decision to switch to stable, LMDE and SolydXK. I know that LMDE will always stick to MATE and Cinnamon desktops, and that the mint team provide some of their own tools/software, but with both projects now seemingly moving more or less in the same direction, is there any possibility that SoldXK might again be part of mint?

Other than the DEs, what will be the key differences between LMDE stable and SolydXK stable?...the answers might prove important for newcomers trying to make the choice between using one or the other. Such a question also hopes to get us all thinking as to how we can make SolydXK stand out against others. Basically, how will SolydXK differentiate from the rest?

Answers on a postcard :-)

Cheers.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 22 Aug 2014 05:09

I can't say what the differences will be between the products, but some have suggested that Clem's core business are the regular, Ubuntu based distributions, not LMDE. For us, there's only SolydXK. You cannot find LMDE on Mint's frontpage, and making LMDE Mint's core business was one of my suggestions at that time. That's the reason why we decided to create SolydXK.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

bartonic

Postby bartonic » 22 Aug 2014 20:37

You know, you're right...LMDE isn't promoted on their homepage. It probably only gets a brief mention when it gets its annual upgrade. I had tried to love LMDE in the past, I really did, but I never felt it received the same love that its ubuntu-based version got...I also suffered big time with its mega upgrades. I later skipped over to Xubuntu (only because I needed UEFI) but then suffered with a non-LTS upgrade from hell, so lost all faith in ubuntu-based anything after that. I had also loved SolusOS but that died - shame though as I quite liked it being debian based...

Anyway, the point is, I've now switched to SolydX and so far it has been perfect. I've really been very impressed, so well done and thank you!

Although I think I'll be sticking to the stable home soon-to-become business edition (once merged), I believe the alternative true rolling release version being offered (EE) sounds cool.

Best of luck with the new approach :-)

matt267

Postby matt267 » 23 Aug 2014 00:21

Will the new BE support 32 bit?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 23 Aug 2014 06:26

matt267 wrote:Will the new BE support 32 bit?
There will be 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

SolydXK needs you!

matt267

Postby matt267 » 23 Aug 2014 10:49

Thanks schoelje. Keep up the good work.

Longshot

Postby Longshot » 25 Aug 2014 01:52

I'm hoping it all works out and SolydXK becomes something truly great. From the start, I have not really liked the new idea of dropping the UP's but I'm willing to give the new SolydXK a fair shake, I love this Distro and I hope everyone else will aleast give it a shot before jumping ship as well, if we were scared of new idea's and trying new things, most of us would still be on Windows. Schoelje, zerozero, and the rest of the team has not let us down yet and as we can all see by using SolydXK up till now, they know what they are doing so I for one am going to trust in their vison for the future of SolydXK.

tek10

Postby tek10 » 25 Aug 2014 02:06

I totally agree. This is a great community and both SolydX and SolydK are working well for me. Why would anyone make a change at this point if they are happy with eithor or both ? There is plenty of time to explore what the changes mean for each of us, as well as time to supply input and some influence on those changes. These are interesting times for SolydXK!

rijnsma

Postby rijnsma » 31 Aug 2014 14:46

I don't mind so long as it works fine and so long it is good for open software.
I search and find my way ((XKLM.. )ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Red Hat etc., even when it has to be.. Windows or Apple, but I hope it will be Free Software. ) And then today there are all the handhelds. One way or another, I can do my work.

What I think to notice is that Linux is under pressure. If it is suddenly hardly possible for a user te make a live-medium of the system "because of the ISO-4Gig-problem..." (cd, dvd, key) because the systems become bigger and bigger for nothing (see tiny Puppy), And so everything on the web related to remastering has closed it looks like. ?!?! :arrow:

So, I see something I saw earlier with the old KDE, with old Gnome, with all kinds of developement (Filesystem, the graphs, Grub2 etc.). MS is laughing... and more laughing, although they as well have their problemens. Who is responsable for all this??? Are these the forces we know.. which can't be controled? :idea:
And yes, one can take measures, but please, let it be the right ones.

For the moment I have returned to Solyd after the beginfase when there were nasty (tiny) bugs and it is a great software now. But no live-medium of the system.... Only cloning. And I can't transfer the system to another pc.. So that is everytime a fresh install... 8-)
This is not good for Linux.

All the best and don't shoot in your own foot. ;)

disciple1964

Postby disciple1964 » 31 Aug 2014 20:42

rijnsma wrote:I don't mind so long as it works fine and so long it is good for open software.
I search and find my way ((XKLM.. )ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Red Hat etc., even when it has to be.. Windows or Apple, but I hope it will be Free Software. ) And then today there are all the handhelds. One way or another, I can do my work.

What I think to notice is that Linux is under pressure. If it is suddenly hardly possible for a user te make a live-medium of the system "because of the ISO-4Gig-problem..." (cd, dvd, key) because the systems become bigger and bigger for nothing (see tiny Puppy), And so everything on the web related to remastering has closed it looks like. ?!?! :arrow:

So, I see something I saw earlier with the old KDE, with old Gnome, with all kinds of developement (Filesystem, the graphs, Grub2 etc.). MS is laughing... and more laughing, although they as well have their problemens. Who is responsable for all this??? Are these the forces we know.. which can't be controled? :idea:
And yes, one can take measures, but please, let it be the right ones.

For the moment I have returned to Solyd after the beginfase when there were nasty (tiny) bugs and it is a great software now. But no live-medium of the system.... Only cloning. And I can't transfer the system to another pc.. So that is everytime a fresh install... 8-)
This is not good for Linux.

All the best and don't shoot in your own foot. ;)

Hello,

While I understand some of your points. I believe that a live system can be created if you have the correct information to do so. I have seen many post in this forum with people doing some fantastic things with SolydXK. When you state transfer to another system can you be more specific? You can transfer your /home dir to another system, and there are many post on this site on how to do that. Even when you use windows you will have to do a clean install or what we in the tech field call a reimage. That is a image that is basically created and then cloned to other PC's You can from the back end setup the image on a server and push that image to as many pc's as you want. I have personally reimaged new pc's with the company image on 25 pc's at a time. Any additional software would be push to the computer using SMS or the new version of that.

The same can be done in Linux, but it will take reading and testing what you read in order to understand how to do it correctly. So if you have questions, this is a fine place to start as you have dev's that is doing most of what you stated on a daily basis.

Lenovo T61P-6gigs-15.1Screen-250gig hard drive / Desktop: Quad core Intel Core i7-4790K CPU Kernel~3.19.0-49-generic x86_64 Mem~1621.5/15928.2MB HDD~1120.2GB
Registered Linux user 566308

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 01 Sep 2014 12:53

I have been using redo backup and recovery to do Linux Images and restoring them to other hardware. Now the hardware has been the same when I do this so I don't know what you would run into on using the image on different hardware.
I know I have had to use a boot recovery cd a few times on the restored image to get it to boot up but that worked every time.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 01 Sep 2014 13:11

rijnsma wrote:But no live-medium of the system.... Only cloning. And I can't transfer the system to another pc.. So that is everytime a fresh install... 8-)
Sounds like what you're looking for is a remastering tool, or a tool to create a live image of an installed system, with persistence, on a usb stick, which can then be reinstalled elsewhere. That's something I've experimented with in antiX and MX14, but not yet in Solyd, as I would have to bring in an external tool or create it manually. Yet another thing on my long list of things to get around to... :D

level323

Postby level323 » 01 Sep 2014 15:16

MAYBL8 wrote:I have been using redo backup and recovery to do Linux Images and restoring them to other hardware. Now the hardware has been the same when I do this so I don't know what you would run into on using the image on different hardware.
I know I have had to use a boot recovery cd a few times on the restored image to get it to boot up but that worked every time.
Redo backup is a great tool - especially for newbies.

To answer your question (from personal experience), restoring an image onto different hardware is usually a very smooth and pain-free experience, provided:
  • The underlying architecture is the same (trying to restore an 64bit intel architecture system onto 32 bit intel hardware will never work)
  • The hardware/peripherals are supported
I've upgraded systems to new motherboards and other peripherals and also simply moved (or reimaged) hard drives to new hardware and have had very few problems - far fewer than moving Windows OS'es to new hardware. Moving Windows OS'es to new hardware has almost always been problematic, to the point where I don't even consider doing it these days - I'd rather reinstall Windows from scratch on the new machine. Or better yet, avoid using Windows at all.

falke

Postby falke » 04 Sep 2014 05:54

Hi,

sorry for my english, the french forum is very still...

I've already tried LTS distros (long term support) in the past.

The big problem for me was that over the years ,the desktop (kde, xfce, gnome) etc becomes outdated (oldfashioned).

So, new software through backports ok, but if the Desktop will "oldfashion" it doesnt interest me.

We it be the same with the future Solyd (XK) ?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 04 Sep 2014 07:12

If you prefer stability over features you're better off with the "stable" versions, but if you want a more up-to-date version, there is always the "Enthusiast's editions" that point directly to Debian testing.

SolydXK needs you!

Grof

Postby Grof » 11 Sep 2014 17:27

falke wrote:Hi,

sorry for my english, the french forum is very still...

I've already tried LTS distros (long term support) in the past.

The big problem for me was that over the years ,the desktop (kde, xfce, gnome) etc becomes outdated (oldfashioned).

So, new software through backports ok, but if the Desktop will "oldfashion" it doesnt interest me.

We it be the same with the future Solyd (XK) ?
Yes, my thoughts went in the same direction as yours, BUT in case of KDE especially, you must know that KDE4 is in the last days of development. The next release is KDE 5 and this version must mature to be useful. This process will take years so KDE4 will be "in fashion" long enough. :) From other side, from backports you can get pretty fresh Libre Office and other software.

I was "a great" opponent of this conception of Solyd's future, but how I thinking about this for a long time, so I'm understanding reasons of this and now I support this! :)

Nibbapleed

Postby Nibbapleed » 13 Sep 2014 12:16

The main problem with users is having a system overburdened with 200 useless and unnecessary packages and expecting updates to go smooth.
I've been on testing since Stormix(hears Google screaming w/ search overload pain)
A clean "stable" unstable is possible with a simple system.

Put the fanboy crap on another partition.
I'm sitting here on SolydK fresh with Linux Lite as my main and Sparky on another partition. Anything important as far as docs, photos etc sits on a 200 gig " DATA" partition.

Keep it clean and simple and if it goes SNAP it'll be easy to find the culprit.

Nice distro BTW. You get it set to stable and I'll toss it on my 88 yr old dads machine and ditch his Mint Cinnamon next time I head back up to the worlds first fourth world nation. :roll:

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Sep 2014 12:37

Hi Nibbapleed, and welcome to our forum!

I'm glad you like SolydXK and I hope you're dad is going to think the same ;)

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “News & Anouncements”