The new SolydXK - Q+A

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
bas_otten

Re: The new SolydXK - Q+A

Postby bas_otten » 21 Aug 2014 19:58

That's an excellent FAQ that is as clear as can be right now. I was pretty concerned the past few days, to be honest. But this confirms to me that I - currently being on the HE but looking for a bit more stability - am actually perfectly on the right track with SolydXK. Plus that there is enough added value to SolydXK to make it - in my opinion - an absolutely worthwhile distribution. Thanks! Bas.

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 21 Aug 2014 20:03

thank you very much!
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 21 Aug 2014 20:06

Thanks for the Q and A - it clears up a lot of the confusion arising from all the speculation.

I am thinking about doing a re-install of Solydx - for the last while I have had Debian Wheezy XFCE on my dual boot with Windows PC :oops: . I haven't got enough spare space to accommodate three OS's at the same time.

Would it be better to install a current HE ISO on the grounds that it is probably closer to where Jessie will finish up (subject to the UPs mentioned a few posts ago) rather than installing BE at this stage as it will potentially have a bigger jump to make to the new stable sometime in 2015 ?

In terms of possible feedback to the team - which version would it help for me to install?

Rocky
"All that glisters is not gold" - Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice"

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 21 Aug 2014 20:18

Rocky wrote:In terms of possible feedback to the team - which version would it help for me to install?
Thanks for considering it; it's always useful.
to better help us, install the current BE and help debug the transition to new-stable.
bliss of ignorance

Coastie

Postby Coastie » 21 Aug 2014 22:42

1. So the home user is also the target client for the new SolydXK editions (not the EE editions)?

2. Will there be an automatic partitioning installer in the new editions?

3. Are these changes a sign of uncertain future longevity for SolydXK? :cry:

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 21 Aug 2014 22:51

Coastie wrote:1. So the home user is also the target client for the new SolydXK editions (not the EE editions)?
It depends on the individual "Home User", but in general, yes. Most home users are not going to be interested in an installation that is floating and could be temporarily broken with the next update.
Coastie wrote: 2. Will there be an automatic partitioning installer in the new editions?
There are no changes anticipated for the installer - at least Schoelje hasn't told me of any :)
Coastie wrote: 3. Are these changes a sign of uncertain future longevity for SolydXK? :cry:
No - if anything this will help to continue solidifying (yes, I resisted the temptation with that) the foundation of the distro and better focus efforts on producing a targeted product.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Coastie

Postby Coastie » 21 Aug 2014 23:22

Thanks, ScottQuier.

2. Still hoping

3. :D

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 22 Aug 2014 00:43

zerozero wrote:Thanks for considering it; it's always useful.
to better help us, install the current BE and help debug the transition to new-stable.
Done
"All that glisters is not gold" - Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice"

Grof

Postby Grof » 22 Aug 2014 06:40

Hmm, so for us who look for stability and latest stable KDE (SolydK distribution) there is no happy solution?
Because KDE will be obsolete in stable Debian after year or two, KDE isn't backported and only solution for people who want new KDE version is EE spin?
A little strange, because one of the majority SolydK benefits (for me) is KDE itself.

Solyd is something what built from LMDE + KDE, so now it is Debian with KDE. In other words, what is the main difference between Debian + KDE from Debian repos and SolydK ??

Snap

Postby Snap » 22 Aug 2014 07:13

Hmm, so for us who look for stability and latest stable KDE (SolydK distribution) there is no happy solution?
Because KDE will be obsolete in stable Debian after year or two, KDE isn't backported and only solution for people who want new KDE version is EE spin?
Keep in mind that when Jessie becomes the new stable, still months away, Stable and Testing will be the about the same and will keep rather close for some time. Then they will start to diverge quite a lot. Until that point Stable and SolydXK will be reasonably up to date plus stable. Perhaps that's the point where considering that it starts to be outdated. This is the part of the cycle where we are now. The "uncomfortable" part for folks like me. That is right about the freeze with Jessie and Wheezy being quite apart. For the next cycle it will probably take a year or a year and a half to get to this point.

An example. When I switched to Linux, Wheezy was still frozen. When months later I hoped to a Debian stable based distro for first time, Wheezy was already released and KDE 4.8 was just a step behind of what Ubuntu or Mint where including at that point, KDE 4.9. That was fine for some time. Now we are in KDE 4.14 and Wheezy is still on 4.8. What I mean to say is that there's still plenty of time for a switch to Testing it ever needed... Unless you want to keep closer to the edge all the time.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Snap

Postby Snap » 22 Aug 2014 07:18

Solyd is something what built from LMDE + KDE, so now it is Debian with KDE. In other words, what is the main difference between Debian + KDE from Debian repos and SolydK ??
You never tried Debian itself, don't you? :mrgreen: Debian offers the defaults for any desktop. They are usually very unpolished and nothing is tweaked or customized in them. That's left to the user. What most Debian based distros do is taking Debian one (or several) steps beyond the point the Debian developers released the raw beast.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

jeanlb

Postby jeanlb » 22 Aug 2014 07:22

Well, my POV is in the same line as Grof and I cannot see any significant difference between the new Solyd and Debian. The nice idea of having testing repositories well tested so that the user could enjoy recent packages with a good level of stability is now gone. I think it is sad, because it was making Solyd a unique distro while now it becomes simply a debian stable or testing. The question remains open to me: why using Solyd at all? why continuing yet another distro that is so similar to debian? The Linux community is weak because there are too many distros, too many DE, everyone wants to make his own thing instead of joining forces with the neighbour for a better product. Solyd was bringing something new and usefull, but the new version of Solyd will just pill-up in this list of "duplicated" distros.
Sorry if this mail is not very enthousiastic, it is the way I see things and it expresses my disapointment of seeing a great project taken down.

Grof

Postby Grof » 22 Aug 2014 07:27

Snap wrote:
You never tried Debian itself, don't you? :mrgreen: Debian offers the defaults for any desktop. They are usually very unpolished and nothing is tweaked or customized in them. That's left to the user. What most Debian based distros do is taking Debian one (or several) steps forward from the point the Debian developers released the raw beast.
Hmm. KDE in Solyd is pretty vanilla, like in Debian. I was using Debian for some time and works nice for me. So, Debian +KDE is something what is working. I like to setup KDE for my purposes, so I like vanilla KDE.
Solyd was my choise because of fresh KDE on stable base + rolling release model. With UPs yet it more.
Without this benefits I think that I'll go back to openSUSE.

jeanlb

Postby jeanlb » 22 Aug 2014 07:30

Opensuse will be my choice as well

mistergil

Postby mistergil » 22 Aug 2014 14:11

Found this FAQ very helpful after reading through the "future" thread. Thanks for putting it up. :)
Changes can be stressful and raise questions but Solyd devs appear to be on top of the situation. If the base system remains stable we users can deal with any issues if they arise in the future. So I don't feel any need to change the OS on the many machines I have installed it in.
Reg. #439601

dyfi

Postby dyfi » 23 Aug 2014 06:31

Life itself never stands still and this is one of those times for SolydXK - IMO the transition is well thought out, documented (at this stage) and will suit the majority of users, including myself.

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 24 Aug 2014 02:37

Great Q & A, well thought out & explained. After reading it, I've now decided what I'm going to do. As I already have BE installed on the laptop & like it very much, I'm going to install it on the desktop also. Someone above mentioned Solyd being very close to Debian. I have liked Debian for a long time, & one of the main reasons I like Solyd is because it IS close to Debian but comes with the codecs, non-free & firmware files I need that are not included with Debian. This especially affects running Debian on the laptop. Great work team. :D
Desktop: 64bit 2.6gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK HE
Laptop: Dell D630 Latitude; 64bit 2gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK BE

greywolf

Postby greywolf » 24 Aug 2014 03:50

Debian reality of life:

Small development team = Stable + Backports!!

It is just the logical move for a team with limited resources. I applaud it. I think you will have much more time to focus on adding REAL value to the base systems, as well as a good testing ground with "EE".

LMDE is moving the same way and (I presume) Clem still has a bigger team than you guys. Mint going to LTS only. No one other than the Ub's of the world can keep churning out new systems every few months.

You will have some serious competition with this model though. LMDE as mentioned, MX-14 (at the moment the best IMO), Crunchbang and a few others. It will be worth your while to think carefully through exactly how you do want to distinguish yourselves? Anyone who thinks this approach is just Debian+ though is totally oblivious as to how much work goes into producing a proper distribution and what true "value adding" in a software development sense means.

Anyway, I think it is a good move for you guys. Personally it should give me more time to install standard edition for clients and "EE" for me, go straight to "Sid" and tinker some more ;)

Thanks as always for the communication efforts.

greywolf.
It was about the dragons. It was always about the dragons!

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 24 Aug 2014 06:52

greywolf wrote:Anyone who thinks this approach is just Debian+ though is totally oblivious as to how much work goes into producing a proper distribution and what true "value adding" in a software development sense means.
Well spoken as always. I find myself completely mystified whenever such "Just Debian+" references are made. Each and every project out here in the great wide inter-mess stands on its own as regards the thinking/philosophy behind its creation and subsequent growth/development, and is a direct reflection on its creators. Well thought-out projects like Solyd and MX will always stand apart from the rest.

Phisss

Postby Phisss » 24 Aug 2014 16:25

Actually, I don't get it why you change the individual distro flavor's names.
Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the business edition as is, based on Debian stable and just switch the home edition to testing + real rolling? I think this would have confused people less in the end. People using the home edition (should) have been aware of possible problems at the moment they've installed it anyway. Personally, I don't expect that more problems if there aren't any update packs anymore. If problems arise, they will (hopefully) be fixed quickly anyway, at least as long as they affect Debian stuff.

I think, Solyd has still it's right to exist as separate distro just by offering a good software preselection, codecs and all the other fancy customizations we all like.
Just my two cents...

Return to “News & Anouncements”