UP 2014.10.15

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Gonzalo_VC

Re: UP 2014.10.15

Postby Gonzalo_VC » 22 Oct 2014 01:53

Great! i was trying to solve the endless problem in my netbook, when the tray icon sais I need to upgrade but UpMan says I'm up to date, by using some commands from the first post here (edit: children, don't try this at home!), eliminate systemd :evil: shim and old LMDE stuff and now VLC is gone and in a bad way (broken packages, cannot remove the rest not install it again).
I'm searching something to see an MP4 movie :( Great week for me!

Don't be a pirate, nor a slave. Use GNU/Linux!
GNU/Linux user 451206
SolydXK, GALPon MiniNo, PCLinuxOS, Xubuntu

Matt

Postby Matt » 22 Oct 2014 11:07

Hi everyone,

This is an update on my first post (please see here below for more). I am glad to tell that I have now revovered my PC in full.

However, I have done a fresh install of the sytem. Sure enough, the glitch of version 2014.10 regarding the symlinked /tmp came again and with the same effects as those mentioned in my first post.

Thanks to Don (alias "desowers"), I could easily correct the glitch this time: I just deleted the symlinked /tmp in File System and launched a reboot. Upon reboot, the tmp folder came back to normal, and so did the entire system...

Thanks Don for the support. I hope this can help others on this forum, though the correction has already been documented earlier.

Best,

Matt
Matt wrote:Hello, (-- I'm running SolydX)

Since I upgraded using the Update Manager this morning, I met several problems with my system, which used to run perfectly fine before that...

First, Thunderbird went totally South: it opened, but the main window remained desperatly empty. Nothing on screen. It froze the system and so, I had to reboot everytime I opened TB. I finally decided to reinstall TB from scratch and doing so, I lost some folders(!!!). Now, it seems to function again, but there was a cost to it!

Second, I lost printing capabilities. No more CUPS, no more network printer, no more scanner. I tried to reinstall the printer drivers, including the CUPS driver, but some files could not be found during the installation process and I am now left without any printer, scanner or anything... Don't know how to fix this.

Third, I lost volume functions... The icon is gone from the taskbar. Audiomixer won't open anymore, and so it is with PuseAudio Volume Control.

I guess some other surprises will come up while using the computer.

Is there way I can reset the system to what it used to be before that upgrade??

So, if someone could help, I would greatly appreciate. Thanks,

Matt

lafontaj

Postby lafontaj » 22 Oct 2014 12:37

Upgrade did sucessfully but after that i have problem with cups. There is no more printer on my system and the cupsd is not running, i think i'm affected by that bug https://www.cups.org/str.php?L4497 but the cups version is 1.7.5-1 not 2.0.0

when doing a

Code: Select all

sudo netstat -lnptu | grep 631
i get:

udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:631             0.0.0.0:*                           1682/cups-browsed
But has i wrote cupsd is not running and i'm not able to start it.

I tried to comment in

sudo nano cupsd-systemd-listen.conf
#ListenStream=[::1]:631
but there is no amelioration. I'm stuck with a printerless system. Please need some help.

desowers

Postby desowers » 22 Oct 2014 12:47

Greetings,

After upgrade I also had no printers and no way to install them again.

The fix for me was to check the filesystem and see if there was a symlink on /tmp. Sudo remove /tmp and reboot.
My printers showed up fine again.

May not be your trouble but may help.

Blessings, Don

lafontaj

Postby lafontaj » 22 Oct 2014 13:02

Clearing the /var/tmp did nothing for me

Referring to http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4351 i tried this:

sudo systemctl status cups

cups.service - CUPS Printing Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since mer 2014-10-22 08:57:00 EDT; 40s ago
     Docs: man:cupsd(8)
           man:cupsd.conf(5)
  Process: 1715 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/cupsd -f (code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE)
 Main PID: 1715 (code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE)
   CGroup: /system.slice/cups.service

oct 22 08:57:00 t500-solydx systemd[1]: Started CUPS Printing Service.
oct 22 08:57:00 t500-solydx systemd[1715]: Failed at step NAMESPACE spawning /usr/sbin/cupsd: Operation not permitted
oct 22 08:57:00 t500-solydx systemd[1]: cups.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE
oct 22 08:57:00 t500-solydx systemd[1]: Unit cups.service entered failed state.
oct 22 08:57:00 t500-solydx systemd[1]: Starting CUPS Printing Service...
oct 22 08:57:00 t500-solydx systemd[1]: cups.service start request repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
oct 22 08:57:00 t500-solydx systemd[1]: Failed to start CUPS Printing Service.

I also tied to restart cupsd

sudo systemctl restart cups
But i had the same isssue.

Still need help

lafontaj

Postby lafontaj » 22 Oct 2014 13:24

Me again for a last time for this :)

Sorry you were right about the symlink on /tmp >> /var/tmp

referring to https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/31301

I erased the link:

unlink /tmp
reboot and the printer are back. I don't know if its broke something else by doing this?

Thanks!

Jean Lafontaine

desowers

Postby desowers » 22 Oct 2014 13:54

No, I have not seen any problems with removing /tmp and then rebooting. Mine also did not have sound and no alsa mixer and pulse audio after upgrade, but after the /tmp removal and reboot all was good.

Great that you have it back and working.

Blessings, Don

desowers

Postby desowers » 22 Oct 2014 14:44

Maybe I should just turn the whole thing off..... ;)

Greetings,

I have been messing (the term used when someone does not really know what they are doing) around trying to get glitchs out after the 14.10.15 upgrade.
Now, somehow, I cannot run UM from the screen and if I run UM from the term I get this:
** (updatemanager:3321): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/updatemanager", line 119, in <module>
showMsg(title, msg)
File "/usr/bin/updatemanager", line 98, in showMsg
dialog.set_icon_from_name("update-manager")
AttributeError: 'MessageDialog' object has no attribute 'set_icon_from_name'

I can not run UM from the term with sudo or no tray icon for updates or running it from the menu.

Any Ideas?

Blessings to all,
Don

Additional info : I also see that UM manager will not run when I go to /usr/bin/updatemanager and double click.

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 22 Oct 2014 16:32

Not sure if this helps but running

updatemanager
as user in my SolydX netbook when I was doing my upgrades

then password window opens.

I could fly be free after that. This is on a SolydX Testing 32bit little netbook though.

I know you said
Now, somehow, I cannot run UM from the screen and if I run UM from the term I get this:
But you do not say you run as sudo or user. I know you say sudo further down but I do not know it applies to the above quote or not.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 22 Oct 2014 17:27

regarding the /tmp symlink that is still causing issues (although it was already discussed here in this topic on page 4 and again on page 5
you need to check if /tmp is still a symlink

file /tmp
if it outputs

/tmp: symbolic link to `/var/tmp'
you need to run the following commands

sudo rm /tmp
sudo mv /var/tmp /tmp
sudo mkdir -m 1777 /var/tmp
sudo reboot
bliss of ignorance

lafontaj

Postby lafontaj » 22 Oct 2014 19:20

zerozero wrote:regarding the /tmp symlink that is still causing issues (although it was already discussed here in this topic on page 4 and again on page 5
Thanks a lot for your help. Next time i'll search more on the solydx forum and little less elsewhere. I understand that point and i appreciate you've been kind.

Jean Lafontaine

aprzekaz

Postby aprzekaz » 22 Oct 2014 20:12

Having similar problems as others but not able to solve them as such. Known issues so far are

1. Unable to set user to auto login using lightDM manager. I don't want to enter my password each time I boot my computer and now setting auto login for a user doesn't work. I wasn't able to see if anyone else had this problem.

2. My sound and volume controls stopped working so I tried:

sudo rm /tmp
sudo mkdir /tmp
before seeing the sudo mv /var/tmp /tmp part.

now my volume control shows up but I still have no sound from alsa.

Could pulse audio have come back? I have tried before to eradicate pulse audio from my system but it comes back to haunt me from time to time.

any help is appreciated. Sorry if these questions have already been answered. I cant seem to resolve this :oops:

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 22 Oct 2014 20:50

Can I proceed?

$ sudo apt-get remove --purge `deborphan`Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libavresample1 libfftw3-long3 libimage-magick-perl libimage-magick-q16-perl
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  baloo* gstreamer0.10-alsa* gstreamer0.10-plugins-good*
  gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly* libass4* libavfilter4* libbluedevil1*
  libboost-system1.54.0* libexiv2-12* libfftw3-3* libgeoclue0* liblivemedia32*
  liblognorm0* libmagick++5* libmbim-glib0* libnepomukwidgets4abi1* libokularcore4*
  libopenconnect2* libparted0debian1* libpoppler44* libqmi-glib0* libssh-4*
  libtar0* libupower-glib1* libx265-21* libx265-21:i386* perlmagick*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 27 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 28.0 MB disk space will be freed.
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

wildman

Postby wildman » 22 Oct 2014 21:35

I wanted to share my experience with the upgrade and nvidia. :(

I ran the pre-up script and did dist-upgrade from a terminal. There were a few errors along the way but scrolled by so fast that I had no time for notes or screenshots. After the upgrade finished, I ran the post-up script. The script said at the end that no DKMS modules were found. So I reinstalled DKMS from a terminal and got this eventhough it said the installation was complete:

SED: -e expression #1, char 6: unknown command: `m'
Next I rebooted and only got to the blinking cursor in the upper left corner. Hit ALT-F5 and tried reinstalling DKMS again and got the same message. Tried rebooting again with the same result, blinking cursor. Tried installing DKMS two more times with no success.

Next, I decided to get rid of the Nvidia driver (legacy 304) so I purged all things nvidia and rebooted. Cursor again. So then I deleted xorg.conf and rebooted. This time it came up using the nouveau driver and things looked normal, although I did have the problems associated with /tmp which I quickly fixed.

However, other problems started showing up. Firefox would cause the system to freeze, no mouse or keyboard. Had to hit the power button to shut it down. Sometimes the display would get very distorted when it froze. It kinda looked like an old TV set where the horizontal control was way off. Also, it would do the same thing if I ran inxi -G. And the screensaver would freeze as soon as it started. It was starting to look like a video problem.

Last thing I did out of despiratioin was to run DDM and install the legacy nvidia driver again. After reboot, everything is back to normal. :D

Don't you just love nvidia? <sarcasm alert>
Wildman
May the Source be with you.

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 22 Oct 2014 22:07

Can I proceed?
If me. I would check what versions of those packages I have installed and that the ones to be removed are older 1st.

Removing orphans can be tricky.

PS. You are only gaining 28mb of space in purgng orphans right now. If it was me. I'd leave it be.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 23 Oct 2014 14:25

@aprzekaz
  1. In terminal:

sudo sed -i -r 's/^#?(autologin-user)\s*=.*/\1=your_user_name/' /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
     sudo sed -i -r 's/^#?(autologin-user-timeout)\s*=.*/\1=0/' /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
    Where your_user_name is your user name ;)
  2. Just two posts above yours, zerozero explained what you had to do (you forgot to set the right permissions): http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?p=46626#p46626

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Gonzalo_VC

Postby Gonzalo_VC » 23 Oct 2014 16:04

While my netbook is doomed, in one of the SK64 PCs I updated again today:

Os NOVOS pacotes a seguir serão instalados:
  libpostproc53 libswresample1
Os pacotes a seguir serão mantidos em suas versões atuais: 
  dolphin ffmpeg libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0
Os pacotes a seguir serão atualizados:
  gtk2-engines-pixbuf libgail18 libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common
  libssl1.0.0:i386 libssl1.0.0 openssl wpasupplicant
9 pacotes atualizados, 2 pacotes novos instalados, 0 a serem removidos e 4 não atualizados.
See: not updated = dolphin ffmpeg libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0

Each machine is different? I don't know why since 97% of the installed packages are the same. Weird. In other machines Dolphin was upgraded :roll:
Other SK 64 and 32 machines show different behavior (some are OK, some still showing the damn 2 arrows icon to update, but UpMan says the system is up to date. SX 32 also varies.
uptodatemyaxe.png
uptodatemyaxe.png (57.87 KiB) Viewed 4139 times
My netbook lost VLC and is impossible re-install it or purge it (broken and not reparable by my modest knowledge).

Another question: Is it OK, or even more, is it necessary to remove systemd-shim from all machines (X and K, 32 and 64 bits)?? ( :evil: systemdcr@p)

One of this days... :ugeek:

GNU/Linux user 451206

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 23 Oct 2014 18:10

Gonzalo_VC wrote: Another question: Is it OK, or even more, is it necessary to remove systemd-shim from all machines (X and K, 32 and 64 bits)?? ( :evil: systemdcr@p)

See the OP of this thread .... if the machine in question is running system and if that machine has had the Oct 2014 UP applied, then

sudo apt-get purge systemd-shim
is called for.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Gonzalo_VC

Postby Gonzalo_VC » 23 Oct 2014 18:34

ScottQuier wrote:
Gonzalo_VC wrote: Another question: Is it OK, or even more, is it necessary to remove systemd-shim from all machines (X and K, 32 and 64 bits)?? ( :evil: systemdcr@p)

See the OP of this thread .... if the machine in question is running system and if that machine has had the Oct 2014 UP applied, then

sudo apt-get purge systemd-shim
is called for.
I don't know for sure if " if the machine in question is running system ", but it is updated up to today.

GNU/Linux user 451206

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 23 Oct 2014 21:29

bas_otten wrote: Are the mirrors synchronized by now with the new UP? As for ftp.nluug.nl is looks like it is, but - if I'm correct - I haven't seen an official notification. Regards, Bas.
grizzler wrote: Yes, they should be.
Thanks grizzler, for the info. I updated my system yesterday from NLUUG and the repo's are indeed up to date.

The whole update went pretty smooth in fact. I immediately removed the /tmp symlink and recreated it as a physical directory, before even trying to reproduce the errors that arise from this as described in earlier posts to this thread.

I am left with two issues in the area of laptop powermanagement that have not been mentioned before:
  1. the Hibernate button is back, even though I had it successfully disabled before the update in /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/50-disable-hibernate.pkla
  2. when I work with the lid closed (on external monitor) logging out makes the laptop go into Sleep mode, quite surprisingly and not what I had intended
Any suggestions? :roll:

Regards, Bas.

[UPDATE]
I managed to solve issue 2: specify HandleLidSwitch=ignore in /etc/systemd/logind.conf

Return to “News & Anouncements”