UP 2014.10.15

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
BigBopper

Re: UP 2014.10.15

Postby BigBopper » 18 Oct 2014 05:36

After installing the 2014.10.15 update pack, I am unable to log in to my desktop. After a reboot, it comes to the login screen, I enter my password, hit enter, the screen goes black, then it come back up with the login screen. This happens for both users on this machine. I am able to go to "Console login" and log in that way.

Any thoughts on what may be preventing me from logging in graphically?

Al

ray

Postby ray » 18 Oct 2014 06:26

Schoelje wrote: If you started the upgrade before and had to break off the process, it's better to run the pre-up script manually firstL

Code: Select all

wget http://repository.solydxk.com/umfiles/prd/pre-up-2014.10.15; chmod +x pre-up-2014.10.15; sudo ./pre-up-2014.10.15
After that you can hit "install" in the update manager.
After running the listed code and the install the update process completed and after a reboot the system appears to be fine at the moment, however I had multiple instances of the following:

Debconf unable to initialise frontend: Gnome
Debconf Can't locate object method New in package ext::iconv
debconf Falling back to default: Dialog

There were also several messages relating to pixbuf and suggesting that the system was probably broken, unfortunately no screenshot was available as 'png' was no longer recognised during the upgrade. It is recognised after the update though.

At the moment things look fine so thanks very much guys for the help.

Ray

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 18 Oct 2014 17:11

I've never seen those Debconf messages, but the pixbuf warnings can be ignored. It'll fix itself after a reboot.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 18 Oct 2014 17:44

Actually, I've seen those debconf messages as well, when I was updating one of the VMs (the one that got borked beyond repair). I have more VMs to update and if I see them again I'll try to provide some context.

Edit
Same type of issue as the pixbuf one: a package trying to use something it's in the process of replacing - a perl module in this case. I saw it once on the update of a VM with SolydK64, but I remember seeing it several times on the SolydX64 VM that went to pieces because of the VirtualBox-VMs-on-ntfs bug.

Unpacking libsub-name-perl (0.07-1+b1) over (0.05-2) ...
Preparing to unpack .../perl-base_5.20.1-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking perl-base (5.20.1-1) over (5.18.2-4) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1) ...
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Gnome
debconf: (Can't locate Gtk2.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Gtk2 module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.20.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.20.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.20 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.20 /usr/share/perl/5.20 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 91.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Dialog
Instellen van perl-base (5.20.1-1) ...
(Database inlezen ... 
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Gonzalo_VC

Postby Gonzalo_VC » 18 Oct 2014 23:51

Now from my SX32 netbook:
Schoelje wrote: @Gonzalo_VC
But what was the output of:

apt-get -f install
What is the output of:

apt-show-versions | grep upgradeable
If the first shows nothing and the second does, you need to re-initialize the cache:

apt-show-versions -i
1)

netbook-gvc gonzalo # apt-get -f install
Lendo listas de pacotes... Pronto
Construindo árvore de dependências       
Lendo informação de estado... Pronto
0 pacotes atualizados, 0 pacotes novos instalados, 0 a serem removidos e 1 não atualizados.
(You can get it, even it is in Portuguese ;) ).

2)

netbook-gvc gonzalo # apt-show-versions | grep upgradeable
systemd-shim:i386/testing 6-3 upgradeable to 8-2
Oh, dear. And I'm being accused of being a troll in the internet because I don't like systemD :cry:

3) Done (re-initializing the cache). Now what should I do? Let's try reloading the UpMan...
Well, it said my system us up to date, and showed back that couples of arrows, indicating I must upgrade :?

Don't be a pirate, nor a slave. Use GNU/Linux!
GNU/Linux user 451206
SolydXK, GALPon MiniNo, PCLinuxOS, Xubuntu

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 19 Oct 2014 00:09

Gonzalo_VC wrote:Now what should I do?
in this one is easy ;)

sudo apt-get purge systemd-shim
[you don't need it]
bliss of ignorance

BigBopper

Postby BigBopper » 19 Oct 2014 02:11

No help with the inability to log in???

Al

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 19 Oct 2014 02:22

BigBopper wrote:No help with the inability to log in???

Al
Forgot a link. So I cannot look see.

Edit: BigBopper said
After installing the 2014.10.15 update pack, I am unable to log in to my desktop. After a reboot, it comes to the login screen, I enter my password, hit enter, the screen goes black, then it come back up with the login screen. This happens for both users on this machine. I am able to go to "Console login" and log in that way.

Any thoughts on what may be preventing me from logging in graphically?
In the upgrade instructions. It mentions reinstalling Nvidia in newer kernel. How about booting into the 3.14 or older kernel and see
if Login works then?

Anyhows. My dist-upgrade is cool. Just wondering about 1 issue

harry@biker:~$ apt-cache policy mpd
mpd:
  Installed: 1:0.18.11-dmo1
  Candidate: 1:0.18.14-dmo2
  Version table:
     1:0.18.14-dmo2 0
        500 http://debian.solydxk.com/testing/multimedia/ testing/main i386 Packages
 *** 1:0.18.11-dmo1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     0.18.14-1 0
        500 http://debian.solydxk.com/testing/ testing/main i386 Packages
So I

# apt-get upgrade mpd
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 mpd : Depends: libsystemd0 but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

$ apt-cache policy libsystemd0
libsystemd0:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: (none)
Not a biggy. I have yet to peruse/read/glance-at

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=761947

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=760182

But it looks like systemd has that packages panties in a wad.
8-)

@biker:~$ dpkg -l |grep systemd
ii  libpam-systemd:i386                    208-8                             i386         system and service manager - PAM module
ii  libsystemd-daemon0:i386                208-8                             i386         systemd utility library
ii  libsystemd-id128-0:i386                208-8                             i386         systemd 128 bit ID utility library
ii  libsystemd-journal0:i386               208-8                             i386         systemd journal utility library
ii  libsystemd-login0:i386                 208-8                             i386         systemd login utility library
ii  systemd                                208-8                             i386         system and service manager
ii  systemd-sysv                           208-8                             i386         system and service manager - SysV links
biker@biker:~~$ apt-cache policy systemd-shim
systemd-shim:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 8-2
  Version table:
     8-2 0
        500 http://debian.solydxk.com/testing/ testing/main i386 Packages

ray

Postby ray » 19 Oct 2014 03:11

ray wrote:
At the moment things look fine so thanks very much guys for the help.

Ray
Things not so fine after an overnight shutdown and reboot, I do not think that this is a Solydx problem, more likely a Vmware problem with kernel 3.16.3-2 in that Vmware tools can be installed but the 'folder sharing' option cannot be activated. This option is a must for me as it contains my mail etc. I did install the Open Vmware Tools via Synaptic but still no shared folders. I'll try one more reboot and then I'll try the restore from my snapshot and see what happens.

Ray

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 19 Oct 2014 07:58

As rokytnji: boot the previous kernel or recovery mode and reinstall the nvidia driver as mentioned on UM's info page:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-kernel-dkms
If that doesn't work:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
sudo mv /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf.bak
and reboot.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 19 Oct 2014 09:16

UP installed via UM.
It stopped after a while as the UP was completed.
I rebooted but no way to go beyond the command line.
I entered
sudo apt-get install -f
and I was able to complete the installation of some packages, restart properly my system and complete the UP via UM.

Now I can use the system, apparently without any big problem.
Anyway I have noticed that every time, after the login, the NM asks me to enter the wifi password.
Why?

This is quite annoying.
Any idea?

thanks!
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

Snap

Postby Snap » 19 Oct 2014 09:23

That issue was reported somewhere within the last days. The UP generated so many posts as usual. It's hard to remember where everything is or in what thread. Do some searches. It's already discussed. ;)
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 19 Oct 2014 09:27

bliss of ignorance

desowers

Postby desowers » 19 Oct 2014 11:28

OOPS!!
Don, the old guy is at it again.
Not reading the full text and then not following directions. (My wife states that I do that.) Maybe trying to do three or four things at once had something to do with this.

Running SolydX on 64bit AMD quad machine.

Anyway, did the 10.15 and then read the notes (sorta), and then did the nvidia part and the others (why?, I don't know). Then realizing that Evolution would not start, and I had no sound and could not open alsamixer or pulseaudio. OOPS! What have I done? Can't get Catfish to open from the file manager but will open if I click on the Catfish icon in the Menu.

Why did I do the nvidia part?.. that was on the last computer not on this AMD machine. I purged nvidia and at least Evolution started and is fine.

At startup, still no sound and I check all I know how to check but nothing. But I now have found if I wait 15 to 20 minutes the sound control in the tray will just appear and all seems fine and I can open the mixers. Before this doing 'aplay -l' froze the terminal but when the speaker is showing in the tray it shows all the devices.

There is probably more problems (I am sure self inflicted) but I haven't found any.

So now when I start the computer, no speaker icon in the tray, no sound, cannot open alsamixer or pulseaudio in either Menu or terminal, aplay -l stops. But with all my checks it seems to just appear in 20 minutes. What have I done?

Maybe not the right place for this question but I didn't know where else to go.

Normally, all goes well but not this time. (I need to slow down and read and follow the directions)

Thanks for Solyd.

Don

Snap

Postby Snap » 19 Oct 2014 11:42

Read on... If you can. :lol:

BigBopper

Postby BigBopper » 19 Oct 2014 14:29

Schoelje wrote:
As rokytnji: boot the previous kernel or recovery mode and reinstall the nvidia driver as mentioned on UM's info page:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-kernel-dkms
I've done that, and still the screen goes black, then back to the login screen.
If that doesn't work:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
I've done that, without any change.

sudo mv /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf.bak
I had to get some work done, so went back to my backup clone of before the update, so haven't tried that. I don't have that file currently, but do have a link "nvidia.blacklist-nouveau.conf" with the contents

# You need to run "update-initramfs -u" after editing this file.

# see #580894
blacklist nouveau
and a link "nvidia.conf" with the contents

alias nvidia nvidia-current
remove nvidia-current rmmod nvidia
and reboot.
I did that after any changes.

I need to get going this morning. I may have time this evening to work on it again.

Snap

Postby Snap » 19 Oct 2014 15:20

Axel

Postby Axel » 19 Oct 2014 16:31

Matt wrote:... Third, I lost volume functions... The icon is gone from the taskbar. Audiomixer won't open anymore, and so it is with PuseAudio Volume Control ...
desowers wrote:.... At startup, still no sound and I check all I know how to check but nothing. But I now have found if I wait 15 to 20 minutes the sound control in the tray will just appear and all seems fine and I can open the mixers. Before this doing 'aplay -l' froze the terminal but when the speaker is showing in the tray it shows all the devices.

There is probably more problems (I am sure self inflicted) but I haven't found any.

So now when I start the computer, no speaker icon in the tray, no sound, cannot open alsamixer or pulseaudio in either Menu or terminal, aplay -l stops. But with all my checks it seems to just appear in 20 minutes. What have I done?

Maybe not the right place for this question but I didn't know where else to go....
Image I have had the same problem (no speaker icon in the tray, no sound, cannot open alsamixer or pulseaudio, etc) as yours after October 15th UP, but if both of you follow the steps as described in this thread, could solve this annoying sound problem.

Cheers! Image

desowers

Postby desowers » 19 Oct 2014 20:23

Matt wrote:Hello, (-- I'm running SolydX)

Since I upgraded using the Update Manager this morning, I met several problems with my system, which used to run perfectly fine before that...

First, Thunderbird went totally South: it opened, but the main window remained desperatly empty. Nothing on screen. It froze the system and so, I had to reboot everytime I opened TB. I finally decided to reinstall TB from scratch and doing so, I lost some folders(!!!). Now, it seems to function again, but there was a cost to it!

Second, I lost printing capabilities. No more CUPS, no more network printer, no more scanner. I tried to reinstall the printer drivers, including the CUPS driver, but some files could not be found during the installation process and I am now left without any printer, scanner or anything... Don't know how to fix this.

Third, I lost volume functions... The icon is gone from the taskbar. Audiomixer won't open anymore, and so it is with PuseAudio Volume Control.

I guess some other surprises will come up while using the computer.

Is there way I can reset the system to what it used to be before that upgrade??

So, if someone could help, I would greatly appreciate. Thanks,

Matt

Greetings Matt,

Having much the same here. No audio, no way to open alsa mixer or pulseaudio, and I didn't mention it in my post but I have no way to print or add a printer either. I thought I must have done something wrong but now I am not so sure. I am also hoping to come up with a solution but nothing yet. I really don't want to start over and go back to 14.07 but it may be the only way but will wait for a while. I you see anything to help let me know and I will do the same. Don

tzirconia

Postby tzirconia » 19 Oct 2014 21:22

I performed the update on my production SolydX 64 box and by following the instructions within this thread all appears well.

In hopes that it may help others, here is the sequence of events and fixes I experienced:
1. Update manager hung while updating itself during the "processing triggers for menu..." step that freecicero noted about middle of page 2 of this thread. Closed update manager and all worked fine after restarting it.
2. Saw the "GdkPixbuf" warnings as noted in the update information.
3. Performed reboot via terminal as instructed in update information.
4. Upon reboot installed conky-all as noted by zerozero about middle of page 2 of this thread.
5. After that same reboot I also experienced the loss of sound icon, inability to run vlc, general lag, etc. noted by many others above. By following the instructions above to remove the symlinked /tmp and replace it with a new /tmp, upon another reboot everything works fine again.

Now off to chase down an error message when opening KeePass2.

Thank you to all the SolydXK founders, maintainers, and everyone that posted to this thread.
Cheers,
tzirconia

Return to “News & Anouncements”