Important SolydXK news

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Important SolydXK news

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 25 Nov 2014 15:14

As of today I'm taking a step back in the production of SolydXK. My family and I have come to the conclusion that some things are going to have to change. This means I cannot continue with SolydXK in the current form.

To answer some of the questions I received, I created a small FAQ:
  • Is SolydXK going to disappear?
    - No, I will continue maintaining SolydK64, SolydX64 based on the upcoming Debian stable and the SolydXK repository.
  • Is there going to be a 32-bit version?
    - I am not going to continue to maintain the 32-bit versions. However, I'd love to see them live on as pure community editions. Frank (grizzler) plans to give maintaining them a try, but can't guarantee this will work out, so any assistance from the community would be highly appreciated.
  • Are there going to be "Enthusiast Editions", based on Debian testing?
    - I won't be able to maintain those either, but again, Frank will see what he can do about it. Any help from the community would be very welcome here as well.
  • Is the Back Office going to be maintained?
    - Unfortunately not. Although I love this edition, it takes a lot of time to create the packages and test them.
  • What about the repositories?
    - I will continue maintaining the SolydXK repository. The Debian and Security repositories will point directly to Debian. The multimedia repository is part of our current Debian repository. If you still want to use that you'll need to point directly to deb-multimedia. The packages of the Community repository will be transferred to the SolydXK repository.

For the Home Editions the sources.list would look like this:

Code: Select all

deb http://repository.solydxk.com/ solydxk main upstream import
    deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie main contrib non-free
    deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
    deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports main contrib non-free
    The sources.list for the Business Editions would look like this:

Code: Select all

deb http://repository.solydxk.com/ solydxk main upstream import
    deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
    deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
    deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-backports main contrib non-free
    The repository.solydxk.nl repository is still in development. So, please don't use it on your working machine just yet.
  • Will my current install of SolydXK (and SoldyXK BE) roll into the new SolydXK when the new SolydXK based on Debian Jessie is released?
    - I have prepared a new version of the solydxk-system package that should rewrite the sources.list automatically. If you're using the Home Edition, your sources.list will point to Jessie and if you're using the Buesiness Editions, your sources.list will point to Wheezy.
  • Will there be any more Update Packs?
    - As Jessie is now preparing for stable there will be no need for any more Update Packs. Updates will come as regular updates or security updates.
  • What will be the release cycle of the ISOs?
    - Unfortunately, I cannot make any promises on frequency of releases (software or ISOs).
  • Will the forum still exist?
    - Yes, both the site and the forum will stay. Perhaps some minor changes in the structure, but nothing more.
  • When will this all happen?
    - I'll start the transition on 31 January 2015.
Would you like to help?
  • Maintain one or more ISOs.
    - I've developed solydxk-constructor for that purpose. It comes with a help function to get you started and you can post your questions here: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=774
  • If you find some software needs TLC.
    - If you know Python you can help. All code is available at Github: https://github.com/SolydXK
    - If you find that one of those applications need to be translated in your language, you will find a "po" directory in each Github project. Choose the right .po file and start translating with poedit. You can either create a pull request or send me the translated .po file directly.
    Jocelyn (Ane champenois) will try to simplify the work of the translators by using an online platform of translation. You'll have more informations about that if we'll achieve that point.
I also would like to thank all the people who have helped me during the past two years. Without you I wouldn't have come this far. I would especially like to thank zerozero who has been with this project since the early start. Thank you for your advice and keeping my feet on the ground when it was most needed.

Kind regards,
Arjen Balfoort

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Deleted User 2764

Re: Important SolydXK news

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 25 Nov 2014 15:44

It's sad to year that you can't continue as you'd like but I can understand and wish you and your family all the best.

Since this will be starting in January, I will PM you what I am thinking I might be able to do to help out. It will give me some time from the holidays to prepare.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 25 Nov 2014 16:11

Schoelje,
I know you can't speak for zerozero but do you know if he is going to let us know about his future with this project?
Thanks
Dan

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 25 Nov 2014 16:32

Thanks for all of your hard work.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Sir Isaac Newton

-Hinto

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 25 Nov 2014 16:38

Frank shouldn't need to worry about Enthusiast ISOs. They aren’t needed. One can always roll one's own "enthusiast edition" by simply switching repos on any standard install, and directly tracking testing or sid. It doesn't require a maintainer other than the user. Nor does it require a special "enthusiast" iso. Many of us do this already. Zerozero taught me everything I know about it, it's all there in the Sid breakages thread, and zz's wonderful tutorials are still out there for those who'd like to try.

Bravo Schoelje, glad to see you lightening the load. Thank you for all your diligence, having created the sanest Debian configuration I know of. Thanks especially to zerozero, and to Scott, Frank, Jocelyn, and all of you "doers" who took part, and made SolydXK what it is today! I, for one, am not going anywhere. I will still be around whatever happens.

@Schoelje, Warmest regards to you and your family! :D

-- Dave Smith

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 25 Nov 2014 16:41

If you couple fleabus' suggestion with smxi, we can merrily roll along and post back trials/troubles/pitfalls/ and of course success. Our starting point of course, SolydXK (The shoulder of the Giant).
-H

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 25 Nov 2014 16:43

hinto wrote:....with smxi, we can merrily roll along and post back trials/troubles/pitfalls/ and of course success.
-H
Thanks Hinto, I was just gonna edit that post again! Ya beat me to it... 8-)
I can't help editing them anyway, I'm never satisfied with my posts.
I edit each one in place at least a hundred times... :lol:
Hinto wrote:Our starting point of course, SolydXK (The shoulder of the Giant).
'Twas ever thus! 8-) ;)

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 25 Nov 2014 16:51

I like fleabus' idea. That would lighten up the ISO load further. I think in the scheme of furthering SoldyXK and presenting it to the public, having just the Debian Jessie Stable version of SolydXK would be great. And people can just download those ISOs. We really don't need 500,000 ISOs for one distribution. Let's not copy Windows! :lol:

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 25 Nov 2014 16:58

RavenLX wrote:We really don't need 500,000 ISOs for one distribution.
Hear, Hear! 8-)

Quite...

"Do one thing and do it well" definitely applies here... :)

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 25 Nov 2014 17:19

I also want to say Thank You to Schoelje for making SolydXK. I am happy that he saw the need to scale back the project before it became (more) overwhelming and he had to quit completely. I'd rather have only 64bit versions than no SolydXK at all.

Zill

Postby Zill » 25 Nov 2014 17:20

Schoelje: Thank you for advising us of this and I fully understand why you need to pull-back from SolydXK. The workload in producing and maintaining a distro is immense and, obviously, time with your family must always take priority.

I run SolydX 32-bit on my primary machine and this has proved to be a fantastic solid workhorse that does everything I want and has never let me down. This is a huge tribute to you, zerozero and the team you built around SolydXK.

While I would like to see SolydX 32-bit continue, I have not got the in-depth technical knowledge necessary to maintain this myself as my skills are limited to many years of Linux experience as a simple user.

Thank you again for all the work you have done in creating SolydXK and I really hope you can now enjoy more time with your family.

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 25 Nov 2014 17:23

Been a great ride and wonder to watch it grow and thrive with the outstanding family here. Hope it continues on and members that are a part of the SolydXK process may feel sadden. But also feel proud to be givers to a community. Those like Arjen & Zerozero,Hinto,fleabus,RavenLX,patzy,Grizzler,Snap,Scott Quier and the list goes on of many others not mentioned.

All I can say is Thank You! All for putting a part of yourselves into the Soul of SolydXK. That is what makes a distro Great!

And hoping it continues in whatever form. Salute! :D

Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 25 Nov 2014 17:29

Me and my forgetting my manners. :oops: :oops:

I want to take the time to thank both Schoelje and ZeroZero for the SolydXK distro. And the opportunity to help out with a Linux Distro. I'm learning so many things and I plan to help out even more in the very near future! You guys are an inspiration. So are all of you folks here in the forum.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 25 Nov 2014 17:32

Zill wrote: While I would like to see SolydX 32-bit continue, I have not got the in-depth technical knowledge necessary to maintain this myself as my skills are limited to many years of Linux experience as a simple user.
Since the 32bit version is also based on Jessie, wouldn't it be mostly a matter of pointing the 32bit version to the Jessie 32bit repos? Obviously the SolydXK tools would not be updated any longer, but the rest of the system should track Jessie just fine. I wouldn't worry about the 32bit version disappearing just yet. Maybe Schoelje can move the 32bit version to a "Community" downloads section. Just to keep it available. I don't think it would take much to manually change the repos and keep the 32bit versions running through Jessie.

I don't expect Schoelje to take this on, doing so would put him back in charge of maintaining it. I think we all want Schoelje to focus on the 64bit versions and keep them going. But it seems to me the hard work is already done. I think the community should be able to handle keeping the 32bit alive.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 25 Nov 2014 17:42

Yes, downloads.solydxk.nl has all the previous ISOs. Hopefully the archive site will remain...? I've certainly got some TBs of disk space if this is not feasible. I think the archives should be preserved, and I have plenty of room for them, but I don't know the ins and outs of maintaining a server to keep them publicly available. I could certainly contribute for hosting space.

josk

Postby josk » 25 Nov 2014 19:19

Are there going to be "Enthusiast Editions", based on Debian testing?
- I won't be able to maintain those either, but again, Frank will see what he can do about it. Any help from the community would be very welcome here as well.
I feel that there won't be any need for Enthusiast Edition ISO because you can just install pure Debian Testing. But I like to see that SolydXK will offer one repository for up-to-date third party softwares like Firefox, Flash etc...

So in my view Enthusiast Edition = Pure Debian testing + SolydXK repository that offers some goodies that Debian lacks.

So could Frank offer some insight about the situation? Do you feel that it would be possible to maintain that repository for Debian testing in the future? Do you need some help for that? Do we have volunteers who can help Frank?

ps. At the moment I'm running pure Debian Testing KDE with this SolydXK repository and it just works:
deb http://home.solydxk.nl/production/ solydxk import upstream main

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 25 Nov 2014 19:30

I'm volunteering to help grizzler out with the isos. Anyone else also could PM him and ask. Perhaps he could coordinate an ISO team if one is needed.

timber

Postby timber » 25 Nov 2014 20:19

A HUGE Thank You! Schoelje, Zerozero, the soldiers on the front lines and all who have helped in visuallizing and creating the true gem that is SolydXK!
I am very glad to hear that SolydXK will continue on. I would also like to extend a special thanks to those who have and will step up to help SolydXK in it's journey forward.

@Schoelje - Feel very proud, not only of your great accomplishments here, to date, but that you are wise enough to spend more time with your growing family, for you will never regret it.

Thanks and very best wishes to you and yours,

Dave
(aka timber)
timber

Samsung R580-M430 @ 2.27GHz - 8 GB RAM
Geforce 310M w/ nvidia-driver
SolydX/SolydM - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydK - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydKBE - Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 - LTS Update Pack: 2014.07.15

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 25 Nov 2014 20:53

As mentioned above, Arjen will continue to maintain the SolydXK repository (repository.solydxk.nl, which should contain most if not all from home.solydxk.nl). Things like Firefox and Flash are built automatically, so maintaining them shouldn't take up too much of his time.

I'm not sure about an ISO team. If we agree the Enthousiast's Editions don't really need a separate set of ISOs, we just need to handle the (two) 32 bit ISOs for the main edition. Several people having a go at building them at the same time might be useful to fix build issues and the like, but the SolydXK Constructor tool doesn't have any functionality for working on any particular ISO as a team.

Of course, a dedicated team to test the ISOs would be very welcome...
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

ulusu

Postby ulusu » 25 Nov 2014 21:37

Dear Schoelje

Thank you so much for this great distro.
I can imagine that this step is not easy. But of course family must come first.

I wish you all the best for the future.

Regards,
ulusu

Mac OS X Mavericks, Kubuntu 14.04 LTS, SolydK64_201407, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.1 pro

Return to “News & Anouncements”