Important SolydXK news

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Fargo

Re: Important SolydXK news

Postby Fargo » 27 Nov 2014 02:02

freecicero wrote:Just because there has been so much praise for SolydK, let me say that SolydXXX is the one that introduced me to XFCE, so please don't consider dropping that thinking there is no interest in it! ;-)
I don't think you have to worry about that. I was just thinking out loud earlier about what I would do. I have never seen any reason to think that Schoelje would drop XFCE. I'm sure XFCE will be here for a long time.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 27 Nov 2014 02:09

SolydX-64 and SolydK-64 will remain as the officially supported versions.
Schoelje, in the OP wrote:
To answer some of the questions I received, I created a small FAQ:
  • Is SolydXK going to disappear?
    - No, I will continue maintaining SolydK64, SolydX64 based on the upcoming Debian stable and the SolydXK repository.
  • Is there going to be a 32-bit version?
    - I am not going to continue to maintain the 32-bit versions. However, I'd love to see them live on as pure community editions.
The community is still discussing the 32bit editions. Not to worry... 8-)

Snap

Postby Snap » 27 Nov 2014 06:51

freecicero wrote:Just because there has been so much praise for SolydK, let me say that SolydXXX is the one that introduced me to XFCE, so please don't consider dropping that thinking there is no interest in it! ;-)
Agreed. A whole lot of the userbase loves xfce. I never liked it but that's another story. :mrgreen:

There is already a good tutorial to install Razor-Qt in SolydXK for those interested and Though I agree that replacing xfce for Razor or LXQt would make the editions more coherent and easier to put the releases together based on a single toolkit, there's no point in doing it for the official releases. Perhaps as a community edition.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Snap

Postby Snap » 27 Nov 2014 07:11

The community is still discussing the 32bit editions. Not to worry... 8-)
Yep. They shouldn't disappear. Not only due to old machines. There are many other factors that IMHO are even more important and crucial than the architecture itself for those old computers to perform good. 32-bit is still alive and kicking because 64-bit systems haven't still proved to be superior and having real benefits for so many tasks even in powerful and brand new machines. Given there are 32-bit PAE kernels, the RAM amount is not a reason to discard 32-bit at all, and in many cases 32-bit systems proved to perform better and use less resources for the very same tasks.

The 64-bit technology is already a rather old one. It's been about 10 years around, but as I said, it still haven't proved to be superior in many cases and didn't revealed as must have replacement actually. If things were different, 64-bit systems would have swept away 32-bit ones a long time ago, but it never happened. It will happen at some point, but always driven by the major OS developers decisions, you know the two commercial brands I mean. It will probably live much longer in Linux. Not in Ubuntu, always wanting to follow the main trends they announced to switch to 64-bit next year, but who cares...

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 27 Nov 2014 09:50

Thanks to all involved in the creation of the distro and its Forum.
I am disappointed not to have heard what Zero Zero is planning but hopefully Schoelje and the volunteers will keep us 'on the air'. (Worked in broadcasting in a past life!) for some time to come.

The family unit is a very important part of most of our lives and they can easily overwhelmed by outside interests.

One thing that is missing from the proposed changes are references to contributions. There must be running costs involved somewhere so these must be considered and also it is prudent to decide what will be done with excess funds.

Wishing you all the best for the future.

martin welsh

ps should it not be 'here, here' not 'hear, hear'

Zill

Postby Zill » 27 Nov 2014 11:04

Snap wrote:... 32-bit is still alive and kicking because 64-bit systems haven't still proved to be superior and having real benefits for so many tasks even in powerful and brand new machines. Given there are 32-bit PAE kernels, the RAM amount is not a reason to discard 32-bit at all, and in many cases 32-bit systems proved to perform better and use less resources for the very same tasks.
Exactly!

I still remain to be convinced of the real value of a 64-bit OS and, while this may be an appropriate choice for certain users, I can see no advantage personally. OTOH, many problems raised on these (and other!) forums revolve around 64-bit systems and the various "workarounds" needed to get some applications working,

32-bit systems "just work" every time without any hassle - which suits me fine and which is why I always install 32-bit, whether the PC is old or new. :-)

Snap

Postby Snap » 27 Nov 2014 11:09

Honestly... I use 64-bit SolydK as my main desktop because of pure laziness. Solyd 32 has a non PAE kernel as default and I have plenty of RAM so... :oops: But my dedicated DAW is Solyd 32 with a Liquorix kernel. Wanted the very best performance there. :mrgreen:

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 27 Nov 2014 18:09

Two very bad news in a single week for the SolydXK project is an hard punch. I hope not a knockout punch.

However, thank you very much Schoelje and Zerozero. I wish you both all the best!
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

timber

Postby timber » 27 Nov 2014 21:41

palimmo wrote:Two very bad news in a single week for the SolydXK project is an hard punch. I hope not a knockout punch.

However, thank you very much Schoelje and Zerozero. I wish you both all the best!
On the bright side, hidden perhaps, within these two threads of "bad news", is a wave of inspiring and enthusastic good hope and cheer from the users of SolydXK and members of this forum. May we all lend our skills and knowledge to do what each of us can in helping to keep SolydXK the great distro that it already is.

Indeed, "thank you very much Schoelje and Zerozero. I(We) wish you both all the best!" (And hope to see you both here as time and conditions permit).

Dave
(aka timber)
timber

Samsung R580-M430 @ 2.27GHz - 8 GB RAM
Geforce 310M w/ nvidia-driver
SolydX/SolydM - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydK - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydKBE - Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 - LTS Update Pack: 2014.07.15

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 28 Nov 2014 01:08

Thank you so much for this great distro Arjen. Yourself, Zerozero & the rest of the team have done a marvellous job putting it all together & making it work as well as it does. I realize it must take a huge amount of time to keep it going smoothly, time not spent with your family. So I understand perfectly why you are cutting back on the workload. It is a bit of a blow to the community, but as the saying goes...family comes first. At least the distro is not going to just be abandoned, which would be a terrible shame. It has so much to offer to both newbies & old hands. All the best mate.
Desktop: 64bit 2.6gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK HE
Laptop: Dell D630 Latitude; 64bit 2gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK BE

samriggs

Postby samriggs » 28 Nov 2014 01:48

Hey Arjen
Glad to see you taking the break :D as you know with my siduation also family is important, I'll still be flying around and will pop in the odd time from time to time.
Hope all goes well.
If ya need anything ya got me email
Sam

"Windows, the worst system for too much money, Linux, the best system for free"
SolydK 64bit SolydX 32bit
Registered Linux User #545430

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Nov 2014 01:50

Hey Sam! Long time no see! Glad to see you posting once in awhile. Sure miss ya here and hope all is well. Wishing you and your family the best as well.

patzy

Postby patzy » 28 Nov 2014 10:58

I, too, hope that both Schoelje and zerozero will find things easier to handle. After all family should come first.

It is up to us, the Solydxk community, to step in and help as much as possible. After all, look how the Mepis community rallied round and produced MX - and we will still have Schoelje there along other with great helpers.

I was alarmed to see that 32bit would not be supported. That's what I use! Reading all the reassuring messages about 32bit made me sigh with relief.

I don't know enough to help with development but count me in with the 32bit testers when the time comes!

Testing using 32bit SolydK
Pentium Dual CPU E2220 2Gb memory
Geoforce 8400 using Nouveau driver

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 28 Nov 2014 11:13

patzy wrote:After all, look how the Mepis community rallied round and produced MX - and we will still have Schoelje there along other with great helpers.
Exactly. They have one release, they take their time, and they do it well. Very wise. I often see posts over there re: why not release an additional arch or desktop blah blah blah somebody's preference... Invariably, the adamant response is that they will not take the chance of overreaching their scant development, packaging, and testing resources, which would result in an inferior release. Bravo.

J.Jay

Postby J.Jay » 29 Nov 2014 03:18

Totalally understand (Family should always come 1st :D )

One thing i'm confused (happens more regularlly lately :lol: )

The source lists posted at bigining of thread: I thought the BE's, BO's (lions and tigers and bears oh my ;) ) were 'Wheezy' now
and were going to 'Jessie' when debian goes stable? And the homes were 'Jessie now and were going to stay on Jessie even after the freeze/Jessie going stable. The EE (no more I guess unless comunity?) would go on rolling on testing (did they name it yet?). I would think the EE would mostly be a naming switch in the source list (jessie to testing (or sid) )

Thanks
J.Jay

Edit... so source list (if want to roll with testing would be:
#deb http://repository.solydxk.nl/ solydxk main upstream import ##use comunity packages yet (for now)
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free

First line would still stay to comunty Till solydxk (repo up) and given the green light to use
and the last one 'backports wouldnt be needed

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 29 Nov 2014 03:33

I originally thought that BE/BO would become just Solyd and follow Jesse Stable when it comes out and the "Home" editions would follow Debian Testing. The "Home" editions some were thinking of the idea of calling it "Enthusiast Editions" (EE). I should look up the FAQ again sometime to be sure.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 29 Nov 2014 09:33

I will maintain SolydK64 and SolydX64 based on Debian stable (Jessie). The current BE/BO can continue pointing to Wheezy or upgrade to Jessie when it becomes stable. I will start a new topic about testing the dist-upgrade process of the BE editions to Jessie.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

eselma

Postby eselma » 29 Nov 2014 13:36

Arjen: Creating SolydXK was a great achievement for you and ZeroZero that you should both be very proud of.
Quote this sentence because is the same I feel, too. SolydXK is, perhaps, the more polished distro from the unique Debian branch. Despite the problems I had at first with HE, now I am enjoying the stability and functionality of SolydK BE.

But in first place has to be the person and his surroundings (family), you in this case. Then the job, and after that, the work one does freely on spare time. Do not let the later hurt the first. You must be proud of SolydXK and all you did for this and this forum: this is your prize.

In short: many thanks, Hartelijk dank

J.Jay

Postby J.Jay » 29 Nov 2014 17:12

I will maintain SolydK64 and SolydX64 based on Debian stable (Jessie). The current BE/BO can continue pointing to Wheezy or upgrade to Jessie when it becomes stable. I will start a new topic about testing the dist-upgrade process of the BE editions to Jessie.
Thats the way I understood it (I may have not put thoughts to word corectly thou :P )

I was just pointing out the ZZero tut of how to go direct to testing (or Sid) would need to be updated (no more solyd/testing) and the 'CC's were never going to have 'official support' just comunity support anyways. (just sporatic ISO's available maybe?)

QUESTION
If their will be a 32bit (comunity) build will it be incorporated to the new 'solyd' repo? (the solyd specific tools/packages) The debian sources won't have to worry about this part anyways ;)

Thanks
J.Jay

P.S. FOOD for THOUGHT ;)
Back in the day I used LMDE I would make a core (apt,updater,synaptic,software-manager(?),terminal and leafpad (or mousepad can't remember) and mint-backup striped out mate for basic Xfce (thunderbird for some reason was considered/a dependecy for the debian core (?) but since is not anymore). and made a refracta (was still working in LMDE's), I guess a clonzilla/redo would work, but wouldn't have the 'Live ISO' type. Then used diferen't mint-backup/ package lists for specific needs/wants for various peple/builds.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 29 Nov 2014 17:21

@Schoelje: Thanks for the clarification. I still get confused as to what is what at times.

@J.Jay: grizzler and I have been experimenting with creating 32-bit ISOs. We are having success. I hope that will mean that we can help keep the 32-bit isos going. I haven't heard yet on what they will be based on but I assume it's Home Editions (Debian Testing) and might go to Jesse when it's stable. Again, I'm still a little confused on the transfer from Wheezy to Jesse right now. :oops: But when the time comes, I'll be glad to make whatever ISO I'm supposed to be making.

That being said, I'd assume if 32-bit ISOs are continuing then the 32-bit repos would continue. We'll have to see how it all works out.

Return to “News & Anouncements”