Important SolydXK news

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Fargo

Re: Important SolydXK news

Postby Fargo » 29 Nov 2014 23:48

RavenLX wrote: @J.Jay: grizzler and I have been experimenting with creating 32-bit ISOs. We are having success. I hope that will mean that we can help keep the 32-bit isos going. I haven't heard yet on what they will be based on but I assume it's Home Editions (Debian Testing) and might go to Jesse when it's stable.
I hope that the 32bit editions will follow the lead of the main 64bit editions and be based on Stable(Jessie). Once you have a stable based release, it seems that 'enthusiast' would be able to follow threads and forum directions about how to create a rolling 'Testing' based edition.

To me it makes the most sense to focus on Stable first. Once the Stable edition is finalized it will pretty much run without change for 2 years +/- until the next stable release. That gives lots of time to put together a 'Testing' version as Stable slower starts to show its age.

Snap

Postby Snap » 29 Nov 2014 23:53

IMHO, there's no need for an iso for the enthusiasts editions. It's just a matter of changing the sources for any user wanting to track Testing or Sid. With the UPs scheme it made sense, from now on, not that much. Just my 2 cents.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 29 Nov 2014 23:55

I see your point, Fargo. Maybe that's what they will do. I personally have no control over that (and as confused as I get, it's best I don't! :lol: ) I'm thinking though even with Stable there are some security updates and Firefox/Thunderbird updates that may need to be added from time to time so those downloading an ISO won't get stuck with a large update on top of it to get the latest absolutely necessary fixes. I'm not sure how that will work out. We'll find out as time goes by I guess.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 29 Nov 2014 23:57

palimmo wrote:Two very bad news in a single week...
What was the 2nd piece of news?

Snap

Postby Snap » 30 Nov 2014 00:02

zerozero health and family problems. He's leaving.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

J.Jay

Postby J.Jay » 30 Nov 2014 01:19

I hope that the 32bit editions will follow the lead of the main 64bit editions and be based on Stable(Jessie). Once you have a stable based release, it seems that 'enthusiast' would be able to follow threads and forum directions about how to create a rolling 'Testing' based edition.
That's what I was thinking.
IMHO, there's no need for an iso for the enthusiasts editions. It's just a matter of changing the sources for any user wanting to track Testing or Sid. With the UPs scheme it made sense, from now on, not that much. Just my 2 cents.
Yep... All comunity maybe a ISO here or there (all unofficial :mrgreen: )so not big update right away?
zerozero health and family problems. He's leaving.
Oh no (missed that one) :( Wish ZZero the best thou :)
J.Jay

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 30 Nov 2014 01:31

mhwelsh wrote:....should it not be 'here, here' not 'hear, hear'
http://www.learnersdictionary.com/qa/hear-hear

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dict ... /hear-hear

I just couldn't resist.... :lol:

samriggs

Postby samriggs » 30 Nov 2014 06:52

RavenLX wrote:Hey Sam! Long time no see! Glad to see you posting once in awhile. Sure miss ya here and hope all is well. Wishing you and your family the best as well.
Thanks Raven
Still around, just really busy with my stuff still and spending more time with me wife, miss all you folks also, it's been one of the nicest forums I've been on actually.
Thinking of trying some html5 games next (see how far I can take them) then if it works out good and they are good enough for desktop versions also, I might try using glade/python as a base for some to make them as a download strickly for linux, but that's a project a few months in the making yet.
Just glad to see it's not going away although I totally understand (being there myself in some aspects), I kinda of figured the community would pick up and pitch in some to keep this great distro moving forward, hopefully when I get this stuff out of the way maybe I can get back to doing some more stuff (I want to start glade/python really soon) so maybe I can pitch again in awhile.
Just got to space my time out properly to do anyhing extra, but once I get this patch of things out of the way I will need a break from it which means I'll switch back to doing stuff I like doing for linux instead.

Just many thanks to zero and arjen for this and hope all is well and gets better with both, two great people :D

Miss you too fleabus you always give me a laugh reading your post lol.

Sam

"Windows, the worst system for too much money, Linux, the best system for free"
SolydK 64bit SolydX 32bit
Registered Linux User #545430

timber

Postby timber » 30 Nov 2014 07:01

Hiya Sam,

We've crossed paths in the past and you were very helpful, thanks again and hope to see you around here when you have time to visit us again.

Dave
(aka timber)
timber

Samsung R580-M430 @ 2.27GHz - 8 GB RAM
Geforce 310M w/ nvidia-driver
SolydX/SolydM - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydK - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydKBE - Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 - LTS Update Pack: 2014.07.15

Zill

Postby Zill » 30 Nov 2014 10:36

Fargo wrote:I hope that the 32bit editions will follow the lead of the main 64bit editions and be based on Stable(Jessie). Once you have a stable based release, it seems that 'enthusiast' would be able to follow threads and forum directions about how to create a rolling 'Testing' based edition...
I agree that the only ISOs needed are for the 32 and 64 bit stable editions. Users wishing to run the rolling edition should be quite capable of changing their repos to testing, dist-upgrading as necessary and fixing bugs as they go. If they are not capable of this then, IMHO, they really should not be running a testing OS... ;-)
RavenLX wrote:... I'm thinking though even with Stable there are some security updates and Firefox/Thunderbird updates that may need to be added from time to time so those downloading an ISO won't get stuck with a large update on top of it to get the latest absolutely necessary fixes...
The number of updates required with Stable are far fewer and less frequent than those required with Testing. On this basis, there is little justification for producing later ISOs after the initial Stable ISO. Of course, if someone wishes to do this then there isn't really a downside, just not much point to it!

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 30 Nov 2014 12:58

Fleabus,

This is another case of Americans being unable to speak proper English.

A nicer way of looking at it is;

With 'hear, hear you are telling people what to do - you could say bullying.
With 'here, here', you are joining the concensus - and not bullying.

That is why opt for 'here, here'.

martin welsh
TROUBLE MAKER!

eselma

Postby eselma » 30 Nov 2014 13:25

mhwelsh wrote:Fleabus,
This is another case of Americans being unable to speak proper English.
A nicer way of looking at it is;
With 'hear, hear you are telling people what to do - you could say bullying.
With 'here, here', you are joining the consensus - and not bullying.
You know that my English is very poor. But a mistake (with a phonetic base) I see often on English-speaking forums is confusing the words 'their' and 'there', quite similar to hear/here. Usually the sense of the sentence resolves the correct pronoun. And often the confusion come from native-speakers of English, not we native-speakers of a foreign language. Just curious, luckily not problematic most of time.

(Sorry, another off-topic... did not intended to hijack the thread.)

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 30 Nov 2014 13:45

Eselma,

Your mastery of English as a language makes me ashamed. My knowledge of Spanish is minimal despite working with Spanish construction crews in the North Sea. Por favor. Another fond memory was that if we had an emergency and we went to lifeboat muster stations, the spanish men always had all their bags and baggage with them! Happy days.

Hopefully we have sorted out the hear from the here.
We must hear what the people that are not here have to say.

martin welsh

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 30 Nov 2014 14:57

mhwelsh wrote:........Hopefully we have sorted out the hear from the here.
martin welsh
Are you sure that isn't just "hearsay" ? ;) ;)
"All that glisters is not gold" - Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice"

lilgman

Postby lilgman » 30 Nov 2014 15:08

Just wanted to to take this opportunity to say a big THANK YOU for SolydXK. I've been using it more or less since LMDE dropped the XFCE version. I really appreciate SolydX, the forum that has helped me keep it running smoothly, and the opportunity to learn. Glad to hear the distribution will continue! Thanks to each one who has worked (and will still work) so hard. Good luck as you make some changes.

Glenn

StratosJL

Postby StratosJL » 30 Nov 2014 17:25

Thanks for the wonderful work you've done so far and thank you for not giving up entirely. SolydK is the best distro I've ever used. Looking forward to the new jessie stable era.

eselma

Postby eselma » 30 Nov 2014 18:20

mhwelsh wrote:Eselma,

Your mastery of English as a language makes me ashamed. My knowledge of Spanish is minimal despite working with Spanish construction crews in the North Sea. Por favor. Another fond memory was that if we had an emergency and we went to lifeboat muster stations, the Spanish men always had all their bags and baggage with them! Happy days.
Only to clarify -and not start a flame- my native language is Catalan (about 1050 years old). It is also the language for my everyday use, writing books and teaching at the University. Of course, I must know Spanish because this has been compulsory for us during the last 3 centuries. Besides that, I have my "baggage" ready to flee from Spain as soon as possible.
mhwelsh wrote:Hopefully we have sorted out the hear from the here.
martin welsh
:D :D

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 30 Nov 2014 18:56

@Sam: I too want to learn Python/Glade at some point and was hoping to even make tutorials for it. So far I haven't had the time yet.
Zill wrote:I agree that the only ISOs needed are for the 32 and 64 bit stable editions. Users wishing to run the rolling edition should be quite capable of changing their repos to testing, dist-upgrading as necessary and fixing bugs as they go. If they are not capable of this then, IMHO, they really should not be running a testing OS... ;-)
The home edititions are based on Debian Testing and they worked pretty well for me. Sometimes stable editions can be so old that bug fixes in the "Testing" versions are necessary to make things work right, or people need the newest version of software to get the newer features they need. I would think having an ISO for these versions every so often would be great because then you're not downloading a large amount of updates. I've tried BE and it just was too old and was annoying to use in many ways and actually more buggy than the Testing (Home) version. I needed the newer versions of KDE and other things in the Testing repo becuase those actually worked better and newer features made things easier to use.

I think what's confusing is there are 3 repos: Debian Stable, Debian Testing and then SolydXK Testing for testing UPs before they can go live. The "Testing" I'm refering to is Debian Testing which SolydXK Home is based on.

Though as with Mint, I had been able to upgrade things like KDE, Gimp, Blender from the actual PPAs of the original authors/organizations that maintain those and it worked well. But Mint is based on Ubuntu and not directly on Debian.

I'm not sure how things will go once Debian Jesse goes stable and is a few years old and "stale" by comparison to the newer versions they'll have in Testing. It might be stable will be better in that case and who knows maybe not.

Zill

Postby Zill » 30 Nov 2014 21:02

RavenLX wrote:... The home edititions are based on Debian Testing and they worked pretty well for me.
I am trying to not be too pedantic here but the current SolydXK home editions, while based on Debian Testing, have been "sanitized" by using the Update Packs and the separate SolydXK repos. This means that the SolydXK testing team ensure that packages from Debian Testing work reasonably well with the existing software.

The new SolydXK EE will not have such "protection" as the user will be running Debian Testing directly. This repo changes on a continuous basis with, inevitably, frequent breakages. The EE user will therefore have to either live with these breakages until they are fixed, or figure out and resolve the problem themselves. Hopefully, there will be some community support for EE but the user will be left to their own devices far more than the current system of "handholding" by the SolydXK team.
RavenLX wrote:... Sometimes stable editions can be so old that bug fixes in the "Testing" versions are necessary to make things work right, or people need the newest version of software to get the newer features they need.
If a new feature is really needed then backports are the recommended method of allowing certain packages to be upgraded to a later version. Although this is the best way to add newer software to Debian Stable, backports (and the associated apt-pinning) are not without risk and so should still be used as little as possible and with great caution if the stability of the system is not to be degraded.
RavenLX wrote:... I would think having an ISO for these versions every so often would be great because then you're not downloading a large amount of updates. I've tried BE and it just was too old and was annoying to use in many ways and actually more buggy than the Testing (Home) version. I needed the newer versions of KDE and other things in the Testing repo becuase those actually worked better and newer features made things easier to use.
As I said earlier, there are very few updates for a Debian Stable system throughout its life and so one ISO is quite sufficient IMO. However, if you are referring to Debian Testing (the new EE), you are chasing a moving target and so any ISO would change on a weekly, if not daily, basis. Accordingly, it would be quite a challenge to regularly release new ISOs for Debian Testing. ;-)

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 30 Nov 2014 21:29

mhwelsh wrote:With 'hear, hear you are telling people what to do - you could say bullying.
With 'here, here', you are joining the concensus - and not bullying.

martin welsh
TROUBLE MAKER!
:lol:
What can I say?

I'm from Noo-Yawk (mnHATn) -- And now I live in V'jinya.

What can I say, I was raised in a cave... :lol:

Return to “News & Anouncements”