HE to Jessie upgrade

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
kyomar

Re: HE to Jessie upgrade

Postby kyomar » 04 Feb 2015 01:07

Hi, Just wanted to let you know that everything is running fine again. Run the "apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-kernel-dkms" and installed the Nvidia drivers through ddm. Thanks for your help Schoelje - very appreciated.

I would like to remove the multimedia repository. How do I use/run Grizzler's solydfixes? I have downloaded the script but have no idea how to use it - sorry, still learning.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 04 Feb 2015 06:13

kyomar wrote:I would like to remove the multimedia repository. How do I use/run Grizzler's solydfixes? I have downloaded the script but have no idea how to use it - sorry, still learning.
Here's grizzler's solydfixes page: http://www.duinsoft.nl/solydfixes.php
I think you run it with the "dmo" argument.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

kyomar

Postby kyomar » 05 Feb 2015 11:17

I have installed the QtCurve/Evolvere theme with the command provided and after rebooting the terminal came up again. Didn't like the theme and changed it in settings, appearance to oxygen-gtk. Now everytime I boot the system the terminal still comes up. How can I prevent the terminal from being loaded?
Thank you for your help.
BTW. run Grizzler's ./solydfixes dmo and it worked like a charme. Thanks a lot for the script - awesome.

FinnFann

Postby FinnFann » 05 Feb 2015 19:47

kyomar wrote:I have installed the QtCurve/Evolvere theme with the command provided and after rebooting the terminal came up again. Didn't like the theme and changed it in settings, appearance to oxygen-gtk. Now everytime I boot the system the terminal still comes up. How can I prevent the terminal from being loaded?
Thank you for your help.
BTW. run Grizzler's ./solydfixes dmo and it worked like a charme. Thanks a lot for the script - awesome.
Now I can't help with the terminal bit, but just remember that if GTK apps start crashing to try a different theme first. I believe there's a bug filed with the oxygen-gtk team right now that some apps may crash while using it. Not sure if it's been fixed yet. So if you run into any strange crashes with GTK apps, try changing the theme off oxygen-gtk* first!
ImageLemonade

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 05 Feb 2015 23:46

Agree Grizzler, your './solydfixes dmo' works very well. Moreover, it opened my eyes to the concept of 'obsolete' packages, which the script reduced from 207 down to 124: still 124... Some of these I can sort of explain: I presume for instance that the spotify-client was in the original solydxk repository but is not included in the debian ones. I can sort of choose for myself what to do, as long as I'm aware that it is no longer maintained. But how about all the lib* packages for instance?

Code: Select all

root@bashost:/etc/apt #>>> aptitude search '?obsolete'
i   app-install-data                                       - Application Installer Data Files
iB  console-tools                                          - Linux console and font utilities
i   cpp-4.4                                                - GNU C preprocessor
i   cpp-4.6                                                - GNU C preprocessor
i   cpp-4.7                                                - GNU C preprocessor
i   g++-4.4                                                - GNU C++ compiler
i   g++-4.6                                                - GNU C++ compiler
i   g++-4.7                                                - GNU C++ compiler
i   gcc-4.4                                                - GNU C compiler
i   gcc-4.4-base                                           - GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
i   gcc-4.6                                                - GNU C compiler
i   gcc-4.6-base                                           - GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
i   gcc-4.7                                                - GNU C compiler
i   gcc-4.7-base                                           - GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
i   gcc-4.7-base:i386                                      - GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
id  libabw-0.0-0                                           - library for reading and writing AbiWord(tm) documents
i   libass4                                                - library for SSA/ASS subtitles rendering
i   libbind9-80                                            - BIND9 Shared Library used by BIND
i   libbluedevil1                                          - Qt wrapper for bluez
i   libboost-date-time1.54.0                               - set of date-time libraries based on generic programming concepts
i   libboost-filesystem1.54.0                              - filesystem operations (portable paths, iteration over directories
i   libboost-iostreams1.54.0                               - Boost.Iostreams Library
i   libboost-program-options1.54.0                         - program options library for C++
i   libboost-python1.49.0                                  - Boost.Python Library
i   libboost-python1.54.0                                  - Boost.Python Library
i   libboost-system1.54.0                                  - Operating system (e.g. diagnostics support) library
i   libcdr-0.0-0                                           - library for reading and converting Corel DRAW files
i   libcmis-0.3-3                                          - CMIS protocol client library
i   libcolord1                                             - system service to manage device colour profiles -- runtime
i   libcolorhug1                                           - library to access the ColorHug colourimeter -- runtime
i   libconsole                                             - Shared libraries for Linux console and font manipulation
i   libdns88                                               - DNS Shared Library used by BIND
id  libe-book-0.0-0                                        - library for reading and converting various  e-book formats
id  libetonyek-0.0-0                                       - library for reading and converting Apple Keynote presentations
i   libexiv2-12                                            - EXIF/IPTC metadata manipulation library
id  libfreehand-0.0-0                                      - Library for parsing the FreeHand file format structure
i   libgcc-4.7-dev                                         - GCC support library (development files)
i   libgcrypt11                                            - LGPL Crypto library - runtime library
i   libgcrypt11:i386                                       - LGPL Crypto library - runtime library
i   libgii1                                                - General Input Interface runtime libraries
i   libgii1-target-x                                       - General Input Interface X input target
i   libgnutls26                                            - GNU TLS library - runtime library
i   libgnutls26:i386                                       - GNU TLS library - runtime library
i   libgnutls28                                            - GNU TLS library - main runtime library
i   libgphoto2-2                                           - gphoto2 digital camera library
i   libgphoto2-port0                                       - gphoto2 digital camera port library
i   libhal-storage1                                        - Hardware Abstraction Layer - shared library for storage devices
i   libhal1                                                - Hardware Abstraction Layer - shared library
i   libhdf5-7                                              - Hierarchical Data Format 5 (HDF5) - runtime files - serial versio
i   libisc84                                               - ISC Shared Library used by BIND
i   libisccc80                                             - Command Channel Library used by BIND
i   libisccfg82                                            - Config File Handling Library used by BIND
i   libjim0.74                                             - small-footprint implementation of Tcl - shared library
i   libjpeg8                                               - Independent JPEG Group's JPEG runtime library
i   libjpeg8:i386                                          - Independent JPEG Group's JPEG runtime library
i   libkontactinterface4                                   - Kontact interface library
i   libkqoauth0                                            - Library for OAuth 1.0 authentication
i   liblcms1                                               - Little CMS color management library
i   libllvm3.3                                             - Modular compiler and toolchain technologies, runtime library
i   libllvm3.3:i386                                        - Modular compiler and toolchain technologies, runtime library
i   liblognorm0                                            - Log normalizing library
i   liblwres80                                             - Lightweight Resolver Library used by BIND
i   libmagick++5                                           - object-oriented C++ interface to ImageMagick
i   libmagickcore5                                         - low-level image manipulation library
i   libmagickcore5-extra                                   - low-level image manipulation library - extra codecs
i   libmagickwand5                                         - image manipulation library
i   libmarblewidget17                                      - Marble globe widget library
id  libmbim-glib0                                          - Support library to use the MBIM protocol
i   libminiupnpc5                                          - UPnP IGD client lightweight library
i   libmodemmanagerqt0                                     - Qt wrapper for ModemManager DBus API
i   libmspub-0.0-0                                         - library for parsing the mspub file structure
i   libmusicbrainz5-0                                      - Library to access the MusicBrainz.org database
i   libmwaw-0.1-1                                          - import library for some old mac text document
id  libmwaw-0.2-2                                          - import library for some old Mac text documents
i   libnetworkmanagerqt0                                   - Qt wrapper for NetworkManager API
i   libodfgen-0.0-0                                        - library to generate ODF documents
i   libokularcore3                                         - libraries for the Okular document viewer
id  libokularcore4                                         - libraries for the Okular document viewer
i   libopenconnect2                                        - open client for Cisco AnyConnect VPN - shared library
i   liborcus-0.6-0                                         - library for processing spreadsheet documents
i   libparted0debian1                                      - disk partition manipulator - shared library
i   libplist1                                              - Library for handling Apple binary and XML property lists
i   libpoppler37                                           - PDF rendering library
i   libpoppler43                                           - PDF rendering library
id  libpoppler44                                           - PDF rendering library
i   libppl12                                               - Parma Polyhedra Library (runtime library)
i   libprocps0                                             - library for accessing process information from /proc
i   libpython3.3                                           - Shared Python runtime library (version 3.3)
i   libpython3.3-minimal                                   - Minimal subset of the Python language (version 3.3)
i   libpython3.3-stdlib                                    - Interactive high-level object-oriented language (standard library
id  libqmi-glib0                                           - Support library to use the Qualcomm MSM Interface (QMI) protocol
i   librtmp0                                               - toolkit for RTMP streams (shared library)
i   libruby1.8                                             - Libraries necessary to run Ruby 1.8
i   libruby1.9.1                                           - Libraries necessary to run Ruby 1.9.1
i   libshp1                                                - Library for reading and writing ArcView Shapefiles
i   libstdc++6-4.4-dev                                     - GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (development files)
i   libstdc++6-4.6-dev                                     - GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (development files)
i   libstdc++6-4.7-dev                                     - GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (development files)
i   libtiff4                                               - Tag Image File Format (TIFF) library (old version)
i   libtiff4:i386                                          - Tag Image File Format (TIFF) library (old version)
i   libts-0.0-0                                            - touch screen library
i   libupower-glib1                                        - abstraction for power management - shared library
i   libvisio-0.0-0                                         - library for parsing the visio file structure
i   libwpd-0.9-9                                           - Library for handling WordPerfect documents (shared library)
i   libwpg-0.2-2                                           - WordPerfect graphics import/convert library (shared library)
i   libwps-0.2-2                                           - Works text file format import filter library (shared library)
i   libwxbase2.8-0                                         - wxBase library (runtime) - non-GUI support classes of wxWidgets t
i   libwxgtk2.8-0                                          - wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (GTK+ runtime)
i   libx264-133                                            - x264 video coding library
i   libxatracker1                                          - X acceleration library -- runtime
i   mp3gain                                                - Lossless mp3 normalizer with statistical analysis
i   mplayer-skin-blue                                      - blue skin for mplayer
i   python-gnupginterface                                  - Python interface to GnuPG (GPG)
i   python-wxgtk2.8                                        - wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (wxPython binding)
i   python3.3                                              - Interactive high-level object-oriented language (version 3.3)
i   python3.3-minimal                                      - Minimal subset of the Python language (version 3.3)
i   ruby1.9.1                                              - Interpreter of object-oriented scripting language Ruby
i   solydxk-sws                                            - Welcome Screen.
i   spotify-client                                         - Spotify desktop client
i   syslinux-themes-debian                                 - collection of boot loaders (theme metapackage)
i   syslinux-themes-debian-squeeze                         - collection of boot loaders (debian-squeeze theme)
i   syslinux-themes-debian-wheezy                          - collection of boot loaders (debian-wheezy theme)
i   tsconf                                                 - touch screen library common files
i   xfonts-mathml                                          - Type1 Symbol font for MathML
Will they still be of/in use, or can I simply purge about anything, because nothing from the repositories can possibly depend on them anyway?

Regards, Bas.

Snap

Postby Snap » 06 Feb 2015 00:27

I removed the icons the "hard way" directly deleting them. Desintalling the theme pulls the solydxk settings package or something like that. I guess it's not a very good method. But I don't like it and don't want useless stuff around. I happen to prefer the conflictive themes; Oxygen and Buff. :?
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 06 Feb 2015 07:23

@bas,
A similar question came up in this thread.

I see a lot of old items in your list. Packages that have been replaced with newer versions while, as kurotsugi mentioned, apt-get left them installed, because it always plays it safe (e.g. the cpp/g++/gcc versions before 4.8 aren't even in the ISOs anymore, if I'm not mistaken).
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

dirigible

Postby dirigible » 07 Feb 2015 02:45

What would be the best answer to this Configuring kdm question?
Configuring kdm.jpeg
Configuring kdm.jpeg (31.84 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
The options are kdm or lightdm.
SolydK 64bit Home Edition.

FinnFann

Postby FinnFann » 07 Feb 2015 02:48

dirigible wrote:What would be the best answer to this Configuring kdm question?
Configuring kdm.jpeg
The options are kdm or lightdm.
I believe KDM is officially a discontinued project so lightDM is our new default.
That being said, I haven't performed this upgrade so I'd wait on word from Grizzler or someone more qualified.
ImageLemonade

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 07 Feb 2015 06:53

What he ^ said: lightdm.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

dirigible

Postby dirigible » 07 Feb 2015 06:57

OK, thanks, continuing with the update now.

dirigible

Postby dirigible » 07 Feb 2015 14:21

Update seems to have gone well. Everything I've checked so far is working except for auto login.
I keep playing around with the settings in Settings\System Settings\Login Screen\Convenience but can't seem to get rid of the Debian login screen where I must enter my user name and password.
Anyone else having this problem?

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 07 Feb 2015 15:06

you can set autologin with lightdm-manager or edit the conf file

dirigible

Postby dirigible » 07 Feb 2015 22:20

Thanks, I didn't know about lightdm.conf.
lightdm-conf.jpeg
lightdm-conf.jpeg (91.41 KiB) Viewed 3943 times

Zill

Postby Zill » 11 Feb 2015 19:55

I have just upgraded my 32-bit SolydX system from HE to Jessie as advised in the first post of this thread and everything (so far!) appears to be working correctly. :-)

Fortunately, I don't use either Plymouth or Nvidia and so I guess this made things easier! I now use the following sources.list:

deb http://repository.solydxk.com/ solydxk main upstream import
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports main contrib non-free
However, I was concerned about the inclusion of backports in this list by default hence my post http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... 702#p50702

While I was reassured by Schoelje's reply, I still have an inherent suspicion of backports and apt-pinning, although I understand these work more reliably now. So, just to make sure there are no "sticky toffees" still lurking in my system (it has been regularly upgraded since November 2013), could some kind person please confirm that my /etc/apt/preferences.solydxk file is still correct:

Package: *
Pin: release o=solydxk
Pin-Priority: 700

Pin: origin packages.solydxk.com

Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: 500
Many thanks to all concerned.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 11 Feb 2015 21:14

how nostalgic :3

that was a remnant from old LMDE (when wheezy was the testing). in my perspective that pinning is useless so it doesn't really matter whether if you remove it or not. however, ZZ in several occasion told us that solydxk is vastly different with LMDE and that apt pinning could be dangerous for solydxk. thus, that file got removed from any solydxk version.

Zill

Postby Zill » 11 Feb 2015 21:39

kurotsugi: Thanks for that. I just had a look and you are quite right... My current LMDE system (still on Testing UPs) has the following /etc/apt/preferences file:

Pin: release o=linuxmint

Pin: origin packages.linuxmint.com

So now I am really confused! Should pinning still be used with any Debian based distro, such as LMDE or SolydXK? Or should /etc/apt/preferences and /etc/apt/preferences.d/ have now gone from all systems?

Maybe Schoelje could advise what is currently in the latest ISOs.

If pinning is no longer used then how are repo preferences determined?

p.s. Although my SolydXK system has been regularly upgraded as per the UP instructions, /etc/apt/preferences has remained in my system so if it should have been removed at some stage then there has been a scripting failure somewhere. :-(

Graybyrd

Postby Graybyrd » 11 Feb 2015 23:09

So, just to clarify: I find this "preferences.solydxk" file (and ~.d directory) in my etc/apt folder:
graybyrd@s4000t:/etc/apt$ cat preferences.solydxk
Pin: release o=solydxk

Pin: origin packages.solydxk.nl

So this preferences file is now unnecessary and perhaps harmful? My sources.list now points to the Jessie repo as per the OP for HE-->Jessie.

EDIT: renaming the pref and pref.d entries to deactivate them resulted in this:
Fetched 424 kB in 3s (124 kB/s)
Unable to read /etc/apt/preferences.d/ - DirectoryExists (2: No such file or directory)
Reading package lists... Done
I restored the prefs.d name, did another apt-get update, and received no error message. Note that the prefs.solydxk file is still disabled. Is the prefs directory required, but no prefs file?

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 11 Feb 2015 23:49

So now I am really confused! Should pinning still be used with any Debian based distro, such as LMDE or SolydXK? Or should /etc/apt/preferences and /etc/apt/preferences.d/ have now gone from all systems?
if the user is using stock solydxk (i.e: no external repo. stay on UP system) then the answer is _pinning is not needed_. it was part from an era when wheezy was the testing. at that time LMDE decided to not using gnome stuffs from debian (because they were too old) and build their own MATE and Cinnamon. LMDE's package didn't compatible with debian's mixing them will ended up with disaster. thus, the pinning was created to make sure the system use the gnome stuffs created by LMDE team.

well...that was a story from wheezy era. when jessie comes the story goes different for solydxk and LMDE. LMDE decided to keep being not compatible with debian. they still build their own gnome stuff. the incompatibilities between LMDE stuff and debian stuff is still there and they need that pinning to make sure that the system is working. as for solydxk, we didn't build our own DE. all KDE and xfce stuffs are taken from debian, which means, we are 100% compatible with debian and the apt-pinning isn't needed anymore. in solyd, the packages is separated into different repo. both solyd and debian stuffs got their own repo and the content is completely different. thus, even if that pinning exist it doesn't mean anything and we could ignore it :3

hence, you can understand why did in my previous post I said using it on solydxk is useless. however, not every solydxk user is using the UP system. that pinning is harmless on stock solydxk but it posses some risk when user decided to jump into testing/sid or add other external repo. ZZ and some user adviced to remove it in order to minimalize the risk and make user easier to move into testing/sid. the team agreed and removed it (with the team policy to keep solyd and debian stuff separated, the risk is actually close to zero. however, ZZ and solyd team love solyd user so much and they were concerned about "the risk" so they stil remove it :3 ). the decision was made in early 2014. you still have that pinning because you were using an iso from 2013 era to install your system.
If pinning is no longer used then how are repo preferences determined?
by default all repo (except experimental) have 500 priority value. you can run 'apt-cache policy' command to check all repo priority.
there has been a scripting failure somewhere.
there's no scripting failure. in fact, there's no script ever created. the team removed that pinning from the latest iso but if user never reinstall his system then that file will not removed.

1. if user doesn't modify it, it's harmless.
2. there's a possibility that user have modified that preferences file. if we modify/or remove that pinning on UP, that UP will broke his system.
thus, the team decided to not touch that pinning and let the user remove it manually if he want to do it.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 12 Feb 2015 06:39

Wow, You remember our history even better than I do!
It's all correct what kurotsugi wrote above.

@Graybyrd
The *.d directories are expected by the system and are not created by SolydXK packages. You see now that removing them results in an error. Usually, renaming the files inside if they have an extension will disable them. If they don't have an extension you can still remove them if needed.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Return to “News & Anouncements”