HE to Jessie upgrade

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Deleted User 2764

Re: HE to Jessie upgrade

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 01 Feb 2015 04:45

My desktop threw all kinds of fits (hardware). But I got it in (raw install from ISO). The installer did at one point just disappear without an error message. Took me awhile to get things so I could get back in and try again (again, it was hardware stuff - my desktop is a bit finicky and may be "upset" I completely wiped out Winbloze! :lol: )

But I'm now in the transitioned SolydXK typing this. Now I'm getting everything set up again.

So far everything seems to be running quite smoothly. In fact, I will be doing ISOs in this rather than a VM now that we are transitioned.

solydman

Re: HE to Jessie upgrade-multimedia missing?

Postby solydman » 01 Feb 2015 09:10

Hi everyone!
First I wish to thank everyone involved in the development of this awesome distro and the entire community for the time and efforts they put into it.
I upgraded my SolydK-HE 64bit virtualbox installation first. I started the upgrade with updatemanager, then I eventually had to kill it and finish the upgrade with the terminal because of errors. Now I'm fully upgraded and all seems ok!
One thing I noticed after the upgrade is that most multimedia stuff (including VLC) is listed by Synaptic as local/obsolete. In fact, no deb-multimedia repo was in sources.list. After adding the following:

Code: Select all

deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ jessie main non-free
to sources.list I was able to make further upgrades.
Now I'm going to upgrade my (non-virtual) desktop, still I wonder if the deb-multimedia was missing on purpose or simply forgotten.
(Sorry if this has already been discussed, I couldn't find anything about it)

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Feb 2015 09:34

The multimedia repository was dropped in July, 2014: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4449
If you wish to remove the multimedia repository and fix the packages with versions from the Debian repository, you can use Grizzler's solydfixes: http://www.duinsoft.nl/solydfixes.php

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Zill

Postby Zill » 01 Feb 2015 10:53

From "New ISOs 201407":
Schoelje wrote:...The multimedia repository (deb-multimedia) has been removed from the ISOs. Some of the multimedia packages, and some codecs were added to our own repository. These packages might, or might not be legal to use in your country, but you can install them by checking the Multimedia check box during the installation. This option is selected by default.

The current multimedia repository is still available, and you can continue to use it. If you want to remove the multimedia repository from your current system, and replace them with a Debian equivalent, you can use Grizzler's script as described in this tutorial: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4367
So is the SolydXK multimedia repo still maintained or is it recommended for all current multimedia users to migrate to the Debian equivalent via Grizzler's script?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Feb 2015 11:06

The SolydXK multimedia repository was part of the SolydXK Debian repository and although I leave the SolydXK Debian repository available until February 28, 2015 I recommend to use Grizzler's script to get rid of the multimedia dependencies and replace them with packages from Debian. You can, of course, point to the multimedia repositories directly, but you can imagine that we cannot give any support if needed.

SolydXK needs you!

solydman

Postby solydman » 01 Feb 2015 11:16

Schoelje wrote:The multimedia repository was dropped in July, 2014: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4449
If you wish to remove the multimedia repository and fix the packages with versions from the Debian repository, you can use Grizzler's solydfixes: http://www.duinsoft.nl/solydfixes.php
Yeah, I missed that one.
I downloaded and ran the solydfixes script and it worked like a charm.
Thank you.

Deleted User 580

Postby Deleted User 580 » 01 Feb 2015 11:30

deleted

Deleted User 580

Postby Deleted User 580 » 01 Feb 2015 11:36

deleted

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Feb 2015 13:25

The most consistent way of replacing files that belong to a package is by diverting that file and replace the original with yours. See "man dpkg-divert" for details.

SolydXK needs you!

patzy

Postby patzy » 01 Feb 2015 13:47

I've just done the upgrade on my 32bit SolydK using the UM with no problems, though it took a couple of hours.
The only odd thing was that it just sat there on a blank screen after I had clicked to reboot. I pulled the plug and started again. All has gone well since.
Thanks for a painless upgrade to Jessie! :D

Testing using 32bit SolydK
Pentium Dual CPU E2220 2Gb memory
Geoforce 8400 using Nouveau driver

Deleted User 580

Postby Deleted User 580 » 01 Feb 2015 14:05

deleted

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Feb 2015 14:45

You could have diverted the image and named your image the same to make it even simpler but anyway, now when the package is updated, your changes won't get reverted.

SolydXK needs you!

Deleted User 580

Postby Deleted User 580 » 01 Feb 2015 15:48

deleted

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Feb 2015 17:03

sudo dpkg-divert --add --rename --divert /boot/grub/grubbg.png.divert /boot/grub/grubbg.png
sudo cp -v my_image.png /boot/grub/grubbg.png
sudo update-grub
worked like a charm

SolydXK needs you!

JSladek

Postby JSladek » 01 Feb 2015 18:14

All went well here with the SolydK-64 upgrade with the exception that the new theme left about half of the icons a light gray and with a black background that was not suitable. I just took the easy way out and changed back to Oxygen and then removed the Evolvere theme packages.

Snap

Postby Snap » 02 Feb 2015 08:24

Hey, folks. I've seen we are moving. :mrgreen:

Did the upgrade to my main system and everything seems to be working fine for now. Still testing things, but the main ones seem to be ok. Surprisingly, for the very first time within a whole year I didn't needed to reinstall the Nvidia drivers manually right after a kernel upgrade. A nice surprise indeed.

One question. Apart of this one:

deb http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/solydxk/repository/ solydxk main upstream import
What are the other sources needed to switch from the US servers to the Dutch ones? Or is this the only line that's different?

Thanks.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Feb 2015 09:15

I'm working on the mirror selection section in the Update Manager but DDM has priority right now.
You can manually fix the sources.list by replacing "us" with "nl" in the Debian repositories.
For a complete list: https://www.debian.org/mirror/list

SolydXK needs you!

kyomar

Postby kyomar » 03 Feb 2015 07:08

Hi, Thanks to all involved for the upgrade. I upgraded my SolydX-HE 32bit and all seems to work fine except booting. I have to boot in the recovery mode. Booting the normal way I end up with a black screen. Any suggestions?
Thank you.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 03 Feb 2015 08:27

Into recovery mode, login as root and run these commands:

apt-get update
apt-get -f install
apt-get dist-upgrade
and if you use Nvidia drivers:

apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-kernel-dkms
Obviously, you will need an internet connection.

SolydXK needs you!

kyomar

Postby kyomar » 03 Feb 2015 08:54

Thank you Schoelje. I have run the commands including the Nvidia drivers (there was nothing to update).

I can now boot without recovery mode but the display looks bad (very big). I didn't install nvidia though (ddm). Before the upgrade I used the nouveau driver. How can I remove the nvidia drivers again or should I install nvidia with the device driver manager? BTW, I have also changed the grub settings to nomodeset but after i run the nvidia command.
Thank you!

Return to “News & Anouncements”