Nightly builds

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Nightly builds

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 05 Dec 2014 18:31

"Nightly" is perhaps an overstatement, but I will try to upload new ISOs regularly.

These are candidates for the next release scheduled after Debian's first point release (June 6).

These editions point to the new SolydXK repository and Debian Jessie. They use QtCurve/Greybird with the Evolvere icon theme as the new theme. There were some minor changes in the installed packages to emphasize that these editions are suited for business use: no Steam (still in the repository), LibreOffice for SolydX (no Abiword and Gnumeric) and included Dia.

The nightly builds can be downloaded here: http://downloads.solydxk.nl/nightly/

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

timber

Re: Nightly builds

Postby timber » 05 Dec 2014 22:33

Nice work Schoelje, downloading now.
I'm anxious to see the theme/ icon changes and see more of what to expect in terms of being based on Debian Jessie.
Since I use SolydK in my small business this is reassuring ... your hard work is much appreciated.

Having installed Debian KDE lately I'm impressed by how far Debian has evolved and I believe Jessie is going to turn out a true winner as 'stable', just the stable base that SolydXK needs. Of course the refinement and polish of SolydXK is the much needed icing on the cake. :mrgreen:

Thanks for all,

Dave
timber

Samsung R580-M430 @ 2.27GHz - 8 GB RAM
Geforce 310M w/ nvidia-driver
SolydX/SolydM - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydK - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydKBE - Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 - LTS Update Pack: 2014.07.15

Snap

Postby Snap » 06 Dec 2014 08:30

Thanks, Schoelje. Downloading.

If it installs good I think I'll replace my current VM tracking testing for this one. In certain way if using Testing instead of Jessie in the sources it will be basically what the EE would be, isn't it?
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 06 Dec 2014 09:38

Snap wrote:Thanks, Schoelje. Downloading.

If it installs good I think I'll replace my current VM tracking testing for this one. In certain way if using Testing instead of Jessie in the sources it will be basically what the EE would be, isn't it?
No, not really, because Jessie becomes stable soon and what now is in Sid, will become the new testing.

SolydXK needs you!

Snap

Postby Snap » 06 Dec 2014 09:58

Errrmmm... Aren't we saying the same? I mean, If a system has Jessie in the sources.list, when Jessie becomes stable will keep tracking Jessie. ie, Stable. But if the sources.list has the word Testing instead, it will keep tracking Testing after Jessie becomes Stable, isn't it?

Tracking Testing is what the Enthusiast Editions were intended to be.

Snap

Postby Snap » 06 Dec 2014 11:28

K's installation and dist-upgrade all smooth. It works fine. Not liking very much the new theming, but that's just me. :mrgreen:

Going for X.

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 06 Dec 2014 11:49

Schoelje wrote:"Nightly" is perhaps an overstatement,......These are candidates for the next release scheduled in the first half of February 2015
so these ISO's are essentially the same as going through the process described at http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5092 ? Except that:
  • they are for a fresh install rather than in place upgrade
  • they include the new theming
  • 64 bit only
Am I understanding this correctly?
"All that glisters is not gold" - Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice"

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 06 Dec 2014 12:18

Yes, that is correct.

SolydXK needs you!

Snap

Postby Snap » 06 Dec 2014 13:39

All good for X too. Only one issue with the live iso. Didn't wanted to shutdown after install. But no problems with the installed system. dist-upgrading went smooth.

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 06 Dec 2014 23:28

Just tried the latest ISO SolydX.(live version)

Really nice
  • I Like the new theming . Much better than the previous. (Not a fan of the orange folders but this is easily changed - sorry Schoelje - I know orange is your national colour :oops: )
  • Font rendering is much better than previously ( Maybe something to do with Jessie ?)
  • Evolvere icon set more modern looking.
One interesting point. On the Wheezy versions there was some sort of bug when changing the mouse pointer to Adwaita in that it only worked on certain parts of windows (not on title bar). Bug is not present in this version :D

Overall a great result.

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 07 Dec 2014 20:55

Follow up to my previous post directly above.

Firefox seems to be causing a lot of CPU usage as my computers fan seems to go into overdrive with Firefox open - but this may only be when running the live usb ( as I am - haven't got anotehr computer or space on thisd one for anotehr partition to install to "bare metal").

Slight aside - is there any specific reason for providing Firefox rather than simply using Debian's Iceweasel (Firefox in all but name) ?

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 09 Dec 2014 02:28

Was having a problem with my system so I downloaded the Nightly build for K and installed it keeping my /home directory.
I had to purge plymouth or it wouldn't boot after install.
Then I had to update it before it would install the nvidia driver.
After all of that it is working.
I am going to try to reinstall plymouth and see what happens.
I have been running SolydK on this computer is it began and plymouth has always worked just fine.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 10 Dec 2014 01:11

Plymouth installed but doesn't do anything.

J.Jay

Postby J.Jay » 13 Dec 2014 00:07

Plymouth installed but doesn't do anything.
Not sure if same problem (not had reinstalled)...But on couple other debians (pointing to testing) distros The plymouth defaults seem to get rewrote when you install! :o

On Sparkylinux you need to edit '/ect/default/grub' file from saying quiet to quit splash. :?

On sparkylinux also the plymouth theme is reset (to the tribar), but can use 'debian-plymouth-manager' to reset (yes I instaled it to sparky but have to use the '-f' modifier to use ;) )

J.Jay

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Dec 2014 15:52

I've uploaded new nightly builds: http://downloads.solydxk.nl/nightly/
Fully updated and with the new welcome screen.

SolydXK needs you!

Snap

Postby Snap » 13 Dec 2014 16:41

They're coming down here. ;)

Thanks, Schoelje.

Snap

Postby Snap » 15 Dec 2014 09:23

Installed them both twice. All good excepting Plymouth. It doesn't work when booting the isos and doesn't work after install either. Haven't found any other issues.

The new Welcome is just amazing! Great job, Schoelje! I installed all the packages offered to check the tool. All good.

I think i read anne-champenois is in charge of the translations. If an es_ES translation for the Welcome is still needed just shout out loud and I'll go over it. :mrgreen:

So far, so good.

Gonna put them under stress now. :twisted:

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 15 Dec 2014 09:29

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to get Plymouth working.
I also have the "problem" that my new system is so fast that it only takes 5 seconds before I can login...

I've adapted the new welcome to install KDE specific software with the same functionality.

SolydXK needs you!

Snap

Postby Snap » 15 Dec 2014 09:34

Oh, one more thing. The icons theme is not very complete. Most icons in the menu are gray, as they should, but a bunch of apps are colored. This breaks the theme uniformity somewhat. Icon themes are usually a mess. Most are not complete and it's a tedious task to get them right system wide. One of the good things about Oxygen is that it's one of the few very complete icon themes both KDE and GTK. Anyway, I'll go over the included Evolvere theme and try to correct this at least for all the default apps, the ones offered to be installed by the Welcome menu and the most common apps besides not being defaults. It will take time, but the next official release is not due until Jessie becomes stable. At least three/four months to go.

If anyone is willing to help (and messing around with Inkscape) we can split the theme in parts. Join me... or not. :lol:

Snap

Postby Snap » 15 Dec 2014 09:37

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to get Plymouth working.
Not a big issue. Not ideal, but the system works perfectly well without it. IMHO it's a very secondary issue.

Return to “News & Anouncements”