Nightly builds

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
palimmo

Re: Nightly builds

Postby palimmo » 04 Jan 2015 18:06

Thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately I do not have enough knowledge to help you sorting out these two technical problems.
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 05 Jan 2015 12:23

Another feedback :)

1) When the panel height is reduced, application panel icons don't match: some of them are coloured, some not. The same in the Task manager.
panel.png
2) Installer:
a) Italy suggest more than one languages. Sardinian and Friulan could be acceptable (even if we should therefore consider many others that are so called languages as well) but Catalan and Valencian are not spoken in Italy! :mrgreen:
install languages.png
install languages.png (6.54 KiB) Viewed 5579 times
b) It would be very appreciated if we could see an additional column when we can check if the corrispondig partition would be or not formatted (let's say a square with or without a tick).
install no formatting.png
3) Window menu (top left corner) is not clearly accessible (image in the next post)

Hope it helps!
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 05 Jan 2015 12:27

window menu.png
window menu.png (3.88 KiB) Viewed 5579 times
Proud user of SolydK!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 05 Jan 2015 12:54

Luckily these are not technical issues (bugs and breakages). So, that's good!

The icon set is not complete. Hence, the differences.
If you want to help out the maintainer: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Ev ... 47e3234b3e

The languages are taken from a database: https://packages.debian.org/jessie/geoi ... se-contrib
The maintainers are responsible for the content.

You mean the "Format as" column? If it's empty it's not going to be formatted, else it's going to be formatted as indicated.

You must hold the left mouse button a second or two to show the window menu. At least, it does for me.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

belze

Postby belze » 05 Jan 2015 14:38

palimmo wrote:Another feedback :)
2) Installer:
a) Italy suggest more than one languages. Sardinian and Friulan could be acceptable (even if we should therefore consider many others that are so called languages as well) but Catalan and Valencian are not spoken in Italy! :mrgreen:
I don't really know what about valencian, whic is a sub-language (i don't know the correct translation for this word), indeed catalan is partially spoken in Alghero - Sardinia, even if it is spoken by a few thousands people, it could be enough considering recent efforts in language teaching and therefore useful in cultural and training lessons.
Maybe these considerations should be filled against the sources as pointed out.
just my 2 cents
-------

eselma

Postby eselma » 06 Jan 2015 20:31

2) Installer:
a) Italy suggest more than one languages. Sardinian and Friulan could be acceptable (even if we should therefore consider many others that are so called languages as well) but Catalan and Valencian are not spoken in Italy!
As said, Catalan is still spoken in Sardenya (Sardinia), at l'Alguer (Alghero) and some surroundings. I could check it some time ago. Of course, it is a small community, as are the speakers of other languages listed in Debian. Catalan speakers as a whole are about ten or eleven million people, less than Italian or Dutch, but more than Danish, Finnish or Swedish. Catalan and Valencian are the same language, according to academic sources. But some people uses the form "Valencian" in the same sense that Spanish is named "Castillian" in some countries. Valencian is the form of Catalan language spoken in Valencia, a form of Western Catalan. The Catalan spoken in Alghero is Eastern Catalan.

Hope this helps.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 07 Jan 2015 17:25

Don't know if this should go here but I believe the Nightly Builds are pointing to Jessie for updates.
From the Debian website on What's new in Jessie:

New desktops:

cinnamon, mate-desktop

New packages:

cross-binutils - eases cross-compiling programs
debian-games - one now can easily install all Debian's finest games by just installing the
games-finest metapackage
debian-multimedia - Now easier to install tools for dealing with audio, midi, graphics, video,
using the tasksel interface.
docker.io, for Linux containers.
https-everywhere, Firefox/Iceweasel extension to force the use of HTTPS on many sites

nodejs, the popular ?JavaScript platform for building network applications
owncloud - gives you universal access to your files through a web interface
needrestart - reports on services that need to be restarted after installing (security) updates and offers to restart them for you

The needrestart looks interesting.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 12 Jan 2015 13:22

New nightly builds:
  • I couldn't solve gdebi-kde crashing. So, I replaced gdebi-kde with gdebi-gtk (gdebi).
  • solydxk-system was updated so that it shows gdebi-gtk in the start menu and stop ksystemlog from crashing
http://downloads.solydxk.nl/nightly/

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 15 Jan 2015 16:35

New nightly builds:
  • Updated Firefox, Thunderbird, Flash

SolydXK needs you!

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 15 Jan 2015 17:14

Schoelje,
I am not trying to be critical here but my question is:
Is it worth going through the effort to create another .iso for Firefox and thunderbird updates?
Wouldn't an update take care of that?
Just trying to not make you do unnecessary work?
Thanks
Dan

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 15 Jan 2015 18:06

Not really: it's fully automated.

SolydXK needs you!

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 15 Jan 2015 19:42

Schoelje - in yor opening post on this thread you mentioned these nightly Iso's are candidates for the new release probably " in Feb 2015". As they are pointing to Jessie I am assuming that the new release would probably not be until Jessie goes stable ?
"All that glisters is not gold" - Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice"

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Jan 2015 09:49

That is affirmative!

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 20 Jan 2015 21:24

These new nightly builds have a new feature: it supports detection of SolydXK ISOs in Grub.

You can now create a small separate partition to hold one or two SolydXK ISOs in a sub-directory called "boot-isos". After you run "update-grub" the ISOs are listed in the "Advanced menu" of Grub:
grub-advanced-iso.png
grub-advanced-iso.png (3.15 KiB) Viewed 5164 times
This will give users the ability to easily boot a live ISO to fix the main system if it cannot even boot anymore, or reinstall the system directly. This is the first phase to come to a maintainable OEM system.

SolydXK needs you!

belze

Postby belze » 20 Jan 2015 21:48

Schoelje wrote:These new nightly builds have a new feature: it supports detection of SolydXK ISOs in Grub.

You can now create a small separate partition to hold one or two SolydXK ISOs in a sub-directory called "boot-isos". After you run "update-grub" the ISOs are listed in the "Advanced menu" of Grub:
grub-advanced-iso.png
This will give users the ability to easily boot a live ISO to fix the main system if it cannot even boot anymore, or reinstall the system directly. This is the first phase to come to a maintainable OEM system.

:o :shock: :o :shock:
AMAZING! I use GRML for the same porpoise but a solyd-iso is a much better approach! You shoud mark this feature in next release notes!
-------

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 21 Jan 2015 02:17

Schoelje wrote:These new nightly builds have a new feature: it supports detection of SolydXK ISOs in Grub.
This is extremely useful! I'll add a partition for this tomorrow.

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 21 Jan 2015 13:55

@Schoelje - pardon me in advance if this is a silly question but does this mean one can boot direct to a live session from the ISO ( without having to dd it or otherwise extract it ) simply by selecting it from the advanced grub menu ?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 21 Jan 2015 14:07

Rocky wrote:@Schoelje - pardon me in advance if this is a silly question but does this mean one can boot direct to a live session from the ISO ( without having to dd it or otherwise extract it ) simply by selecting it from the advanced grub menu ?
That is not a silly question at all!

Indeed, you can boot an ISO that way. Obviously, you already need an installed SolydXK system, a separate partition with the "boot-isos" directory. You simply copy the ISO(s) in there and run "update-grub".

The thought behind it is that it makes it easier to fix or re-install your system without the need of an USB or DVD...well, as long as Grub runs, that is...

SolydXK needs you!

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 21 Jan 2015 14:24

I've been using a frugal install of Parted Magic for those emergencies for a long time.

http://partedmagic.com/frugal-install/

This is much better, as Solyd is always my go-to OS. Thank you for this Schoelje! 8-)

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 21 Jan 2015 14:32

@Schoelje - thanks for the explanation - sounds like a great idea.

@fleabus - good to see you back - I noticed your absence over the New Year - it was a bit quiet around here :)

Return to “News & Anouncements”