BE to Wheezy upgrade

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
excollier

Re: BE to Wheezy upgrade

Postby excollier » 01 Feb 2015 15:20

Thanks Schoelje and Grizzler I will try those options. I have just installed #! to another partition so at least i can be using Linux again.
I'll give a progress report as soon as I can

excollier

Postby excollier » 01 Feb 2015 16:28

Well.. Grizzler...the nomodeset option at least now boots to a plain blue screen with a paler blue blank square in the centre.
I figured this was the login screen despite the lack of any dialogue box or username, so I typed in my password and after some wild flickering the screen went black but at least played the KDE login tune. So progress at least, but still not useable.

RichLobo

Postby RichLobo » 01 Feb 2015 18:31

Thank you to everyone for your input. Personally I decided to take the easy way out after my upgrade failed. There were some warning signs for me that something was not right. My first attempt to use the upgrade manager ended in an unexplained "blue screen" in the install window that did not move or change for the over 20 minutes that I let it run. I then switched to a terminal install and was stopped by a "held package" error. After resolving the package issue I continued and it all seemed to go well until I rebooted... you know the rest of the story.

I downloaded the iso and made a live disk which I used to install the upgrade. This cost me my system settings and some extra programs that I had to re-install... maybe an hour of extra work. All seems to be working well now.

I will leave it up to you "code heads" :lol: to try and figure out why this has happened... I just needed to be back up and running for my disabled wife who, like me, hates Windows. FYI - some of my best friends are "code heads", gotta love'um!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 01 Feb 2015 18:47

@excollier,

Two more GRUB options to try: acpi=off and xforcevesa. Either separate or combined with nomodeset
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

excollier

Postby excollier » 01 Feb 2015 20:41

Thanks again, I will try again tomorrow and post back here

excollier

Postby excollier » 02 Feb 2015 08:45

I tried all the options but no joy. Looks as though my install is gone now.
I also took Schoelje's advice and got the new iso to boot up properly but it freezes during the install just at the point where i have entered my username and password - no further progress. Looks nice though.....
I will have to try another distro I guess. Pity.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Feb 2015 09:16

Unfortunately there is no way for me to debug your issue, I'm sorry.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

excollier

Postby excollier » 02 Feb 2015 09:31

No problem, thanks for this distro - I have enjoyed using it over the past year or so. Sometimes things just don't work out.
If a fix is found I'll be back. I'll try any new iso images you put out just in case....is there any chance the SolydX iso would behave any differently? I'm guessing not.
I have a slow internet connection so downloading a 1.5GB iso takes a while.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Feb 2015 10:34

excollier wrote:No problem, thanks for this distro - I have enjoyed using it over the past year or so. Sometimes things just don't work out.
If a fix is found I'll be back. I'll try any new iso images you put out just in case....is there any chance the SolydX iso would behave any differently? I'm guessing not.
I have a slow internet connection so downloading a 1.5GB iso takes a while.
I'd be very surprised if there were a difference. I suspect either Grub, the kernel, or hardware and they don't differ if you use SolydX or SolydK.

SolydXK needs you!

excollier

Postby excollier » 02 Feb 2015 11:43

Yeah, I just found out.
I am installing Mint 17.1 KDE now to replace SolydK. Support until 2019 but I prefer SolydK....never mind, and thanks again.

Zill

Postby Zill » 02 Feb 2015 12:25

excollier wrote:I tried all the options but no joy. Looks as though my install is gone now.
Even if your installed Linux system is broken, your data should still be intact if you have a separate /home partition. It should be (relatively) easy to re-install the system as long as you ensure that only the "/" partition is reformatted and do not format the /home partition. Of course, this is no substitute for always having good backups of your data. This is especially important before starting "major surgery" such as system upgrades.
excollier wrote:I also took Schoelje's advice and got the new iso to boot up properly but it freezes during the install just at the point where i have entered my username and password - no further progress...
Firstly, always make sure the md5sum of the downloaded ISO exactly matches that shown on the website. A corrupted download can cause all kinds of funnies when trying to install. ;-)

It is also a good idea to run a new ISO as a live session before trying to install the system. Although this cannot test everything, a live session can help identify if there are any potential kernel/hardware incompatibilities. These can then be researched before the actual installation so that mitigating actions can be determined.

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 02 Feb 2015 14:22

excollier wrote:I also took Schoelje's advice and got the new iso to boot up properly but it freezes during the install just at the point where i have entered my username and password - no further progress.
I don't know if it would help with excollier's issue but I had a possibly related issue when recently trying a SolydX 32 bit ISO. My system threw errors at exactly the same point but only when trying to install to disk - live ISO worked well but install to disk failed . See http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php ... 241#p50448 . Haven't tried a 64bit ISO though as like excollier it takes a while to download . I'm not sure that kernel/hardware are the issue because a Debian Jessie XFCE install (on the same computer) is working fine.
"All that glisters is not gold" - Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice"

excollier

Postby excollier » 02 Feb 2015 16:17

Thanks Zill. Yes I always use a separate /home partition, so I was able to install Mint directly to the / partition without any data loss.
I always check the MD5/SHA1 checksums with GTKHash for every iso download I do. If they don't match, I don't use the iso.
The iso did run properly as a live session, after the tip offered by Schoelje - to run in compatibility mode, but the install process kept hanging at user details section, refusing to progress further - have to say I like the new look of Solyd XK.
So I don't know where the issue is, but now I am on Mint 17.1 KDE instead, and due to using my /home partition again most of my setings were inherited by Mint - right down to the wallpaper I used with SolydK BE and the bookmarks in Firefox (still logged in thanks to LastPass too). I had to re install a few packages but all is working as before - and four years of support too.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 17 Mar 2015 15:36

First, I apologize in advance if this was covered elsewhere and I missed it. I hesitated for a long time to bug you folks about an old system, you've enough to do keeping up with Jessie as it matures...

Attempting to move SolydK-BE to Wheezy sources (Copy-pasted from the OP), I'm stuck here:

Code: Select all

dv7-1270us ~ # apt-get install solydxk-system solydk-system-adjustments solydk-info
<<<snip>>>
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 solydk-system-adjustments : Depends: baloo but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Unfortunately my limited apt-fu has been insufficient to get around this dependency situation... :? :oops:

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 17 Mar 2015 15:59

As far as I know, baloo is too recent for Wheezy. It just isn't available for it. So it will have to be removed from the dependencies for solydk-system-adjustments...

Arjen?
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 17 Mar 2015 16:41

Ah, a "recommends" then?

SolydXK needs you!

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 17 Mar 2015 16:56

I dimly remenber reading somewhere... Isn't there some kind of snafu regarding baloo transitioning to baloo4? Don't know if it affects this; my packaging-fu is absolute zero...

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 17 Mar 2015 18:18

Schoelje wrote:Ah, a "recommends" then?
Would that work? Doesn't the line 'APT::Install-Recommends "true";' in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/80solydxk-apt make apt treat 'recommends' as 'depends'?
Frank

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 17 Mar 2015 18:36

Assuming that baloo will be installed as a recommend for the Jessie folks who are also installing solydk-system-adjustments...

Could Wheezy folks then get around it as a recommend with

Code: Select all

apt-get install solydk-system-adjustments --no-install-recommends
?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 17 Mar 2015 18:51

I think even that apt is smart enough to recognize that it will silently skip a recommended package that it cannot find.
I'll upload the adapted package now. If it doesn't work I'll remove it again.

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “News & Anouncements”