Transition to Debian Jessie/Wheezy

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Transition to Debian Jessie/Wheezy

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Jan 2015 13:49

On November 25, 2014 we announced many changes for SolydXK.

Although Debian Jessie is not officially pronounced stable yet, it is already incredibly stable and so we saw no reason to delay the transition any further.

I’ll start the transition on January 31, 2015 at 12.00 UTC.

Below you will find the information you’ll need for the upgrade. I recommend you read it, and the provided support links, carefully before you start the upgrade tomorrow.

Important information:
This upgrade will point your system to either Debian Jessie (Home Editions) or Debian Wheezy (Business Editions).
The Update Manager will automate the process but if you prefer to upgrade by terminal or if you want to upgrade your Business Edition to Jessie, please follow the support links below.

These topics were made available on our forum if you need support:
HE to Jessie upgrade
BE to Wheezy upgrade
BE to Jessie upgrade

Read this whether you update with the Update Manager, or terminal.
  • These are some warnings you can safely ignore:

Code: Select all

GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file ‘/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory
  • Grub
    When you upgrade to Jessie, you’ll be asked to select where you installed Grub. Usually it’s the first item in the list:
  • Configuration files
    You might be asked to replace certain configuration files. It is recommended to keep the currently installed file (default selected).
  • Post upgrade
    If you’re using Nvidia, you run the following command before reboot:

sudo apt-get install –reinstall nvidia-kernel-dkms
  • If you want, you can configure your account to use the new default SolydXK theme (you can do the same for root):

configure-theme
Also blogged on: http://solydxk.nl/transition-to-debian-jessiewheezy/

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Deleted User 2763

Re: Transition to Debian Jessie/Wheezy

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 30 Jan 2015 15:02

NIce.
This is still a great move.
-Hinto

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 30 Jan 2015 18:41

I'll be doing this process on my laptop and desktop tomorrow. By the time 1200 UTC arrives, it'll probably be 7:00 am (USA Eastern) I think? I think the transition will be in place well before I wake up. :) After thinking it over the past couple days, I've decided to transition in-place so everything will be rolling still. It should save me tons of time.

What I like about using the HE is that when Jessie does go stable, we won't have to worry about changing sources.list, if I'm right?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Jan 2015 18:47

RavenLX wrote:What I like about using the HE is that when Jessie does go stable, we won't have to worry about changing sources.list, if I'm right?
That is correct.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 30 Jan 2015 19:00

Can someone list the link to the place that described what to do to change HE to debian/testing. I would like to take one of my HE and move it to that.
Thanks
Dan

Reyfer

Postby Reyfer » 30 Jan 2015 20:08

So if I use Apper instead of the UM, the reccomended way is using the CLI, right?

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 30 Jan 2015 21:42

@MAYB8: The link is in the first post in this thread. The link you want to follow for your situation is the one for HE to Jessie Upgrade.

@Reyfer: If by "Apper" you're talking about apt-get, then yes, you need to follow the command line instructions given in the links mentioned in the first post. Pick the link that is appropriate for your install (ie. HE for Home Edition, BE for Business Edition, etc.)

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 30 Jan 2015 22:41

RavenLX wrote: @Reyfer: If by "Apper" you're talking about apt-get, then yes, you need to follow the command line instructions given in the links mentioned in the first post. Pick the link that is appropriate for your install (ie. HE for Home Edition, BE for Business Edition, etc.)
Hum, I suppose that Reyfer talks about that Apper: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apper ie former-KpackageKit ;)
@ reyfer: If I were you, I prefer using the CLI for the transition; probably scripts for UM could have some glitches with Apper.
It should be safer.
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

Reyfer

Postby Reyfer » 30 Jan 2015 22:44

ane champenois wrote:
RavenLX wrote: @Reyfer: If by "Apper" you're talking about apt-get, then yes, you need to follow the command line instructions given in the links mentioned in the first post. Pick the link that is appropriate for your install (ie. HE for Home Edition, BE for Business Edition, etc.)
Hum, I suppose that Reyfer talks about that Apper: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apper ie former-KpackageKit ;)
@ reyfer: If I were you, I prefer using the CLI for the transition; probably scripts for UM could have some glitches with Apper.
It should be safer.
Yes, that's the Apper I was talking about, and thank you :D

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 30 Jan 2015 23:23

Thanks. I hadn't heard of Apper before. Learn something new every day! If it were me though, I think I'd either use the UM for this or if using CLI use apt-get intead for just this update. Would that work just as safely?

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 31 Jan 2015 00:35

RavenLX wrote:@MAYB8: The link is in the first post in this thread. The link you want to follow for your situation is the one for HE to Jessie Upgrade.
I don't think that is right. That link is to take HE to Jessie not testing. Jessie will be stable in a month or two. If MAYB8 wants testing he will have to set his sources to testing. There should be some links and directions in the forum somewhere since people were doing this while Solyd was still using UPS.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 31 Jan 2015 01:45

You're right that Jessie (which is Testing right now) will be Stable but not sure exactly when. If he is referring to the next Testing after Debian, I'm not sure, I think he'd have to find out what the repos are from Debian. SolydXK won't be following any Testing versions after the transition that I know of.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 31 Jan 2015 01:48

Yes you guys are correct. I want to follow testing after jessie goes stable.
Until that happens Solydxk will be in testing.
I think all I have to do is change either 'production' to 'testing' or 'jessie' to 'testing'.
But I just wanted confirmation on this.
Also in my sources list not follow andy solydxk repos at all?
Thanks
Dan

Sorry I didn't mean to take this post in a different direction.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 31 Jan 2015 02:00

When you do the HE to Jessie, you are following Debian Jessie which is now in testing. When it goes stable, you will then be following Debian stable. It's confusing and even I don't know how it's all going to work but from what I see, SolydXK will not be following any testing versions of Debian in the future. I did read about some talk about an enthusiast's version but I don't know if that will be or not.

I'm hoping someone with more information on this will pop in here and clarify this. Right now Schoelje is super busy with the transition. Hopefully more info on all this will be posted after the transition is complete.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 31 Jan 2015 07:46

Dan,
For the time being, going along with this transition is fine. Once Jessie has become Stable, the community will have to get the Enthousiast's Editions going. I intend to support that.
As far as the sources.list file goes, all you have to do (after this transition) is kick out any backports and security updates related lines and change 'jessie' to 'testing' and you'll be tracking Testing. However, at this particular time, it doesn't really matter whether you do or not.

For completeness, there's also my solydfixes script, which should be able to handle all transition variants. Run it with the -T option and you'll be tracking Testing once it's done. Be aware that this script has not been widely tested, because I got no response whatsoever when I asked for testers.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 31 Jan 2015 10:07

Grub: When you upgrade to Jessie, you'll be asked to select where you installed Grub.
What is the background for this question to appear? Will there be any changes done during the upgrade to the boot.img/core.img in/between the MBR (sda)?
The reason why I ask is that I use one 'mother-laptop' to do all the upgrades and then create an OS image using Partimage. After that I distribute this image across all family computers. This works (like a charm 8-)) as long as there are no updates required outside the OS-partition ...like Grub img-files.
If, on the target-computers, I would at least be able to boot fine once with the 'old' grub img-files and the upgraded SolydK image (true?), and then issue grub-install, would straighten out any inconsistencies afterwards anyhow.

Regards, Bas.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 31 Jan 2015 10:24

bas_otten wrote:What is the background for this question to appear? Will there be any changes done during the upgrade to the boot.img/core.img in/between the MBR (sda)?
Yes, that's exactly why 'missing' this question can be a bit of a disaster (been there...). In one of the recent grub updates a change was introduced that would break things in a nasty way if the core image in the MBR wasn't updated.
If, on the target-computers, I would at least be able to boot fine once with the 'old' grub img-files and the upgraded SolydK image (true?), and then issue grub-install, would straighten out any inconsistencies afterwards anyhow
Grub halts with an error message and there's no way to get any further, if I remember correctly. You'd need a Live ISO.

Mind you, this doesn't happen to everyone. There's a specific set of circumstances involved. I'm trying to find the best reference... Hold on.

This launchpad thread has the same error message, but the odd thing is this started nearly a year ago and the borkage I had didn't happen until recently... :?
I get a lot more and even older items if I do a websearch. By the looks of it, it should be possible to avoid this issue by running 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc' on a system that has been updated fairly recently (i.e. October?). Still weird, as I'm sure the install I broke was on UP 2014.10.15.
Frank

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 31 Jan 2015 11:13

I see... glad I asked! And thanks for your quick reply and research.

So my strategy will be, playing safe on this matter:
  1. Create a transitioned SolydK64-image on my mother-laptop like I use to do
  2. But then: wait for the transitioned ISO to be released
  3. On all target-computers FIRST do a pro-forma installation of SolydK64: new grub files on sda
  4. Not until after that: distribute my transitioned image onto the target-computers
  5. Issue 'grub-install' on all computers to be absolutely sure everything is in sync
I followed this path also when I initially prepared the target-computers for SolydK64 to land on.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 31 Jan 2015 11:32

The launchpad thread seems to suggest you should always do a dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc rather than a grub-install, as that also sets some values that wiil help any following updates along.
Frank

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 31 Jan 2015 12:35

The launchpad thread seems to suggest you should always do a dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc rather than a grub-install
I guess you are right, at least when one has changed the drive that the bootloader img's are located between upgrades.
Just to try, I ran 'dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc' on my current system to see what happens. It asks some puzzling (i.e. to me) questions:
  • there are differences noted in /etc/default/grub compared to the package, what do I choose... ehmmmm?
  • it says that the original drive I installed grub to does no longer exist or has different ID: well I have only one drive and never touched any of this?
But in the end it completed successfully, and my laptop still boots :roll:

root@bashost:/root #>>> dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
Installatie is afgerond. Er werden geen fouten gerapporteerd.
Aanmaken van 'grub.cfg'...
Found background image: grubbg.png
Linux-afbeelding is gevonden: /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64
Initiële RAM-schijfafbeelding is gevonden: /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64
Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS - KODIbuntu (14.04) is gevonden op /dev/sda4
voltooid
I found this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099. A bit old but I think still of good value. I might even try to perform a grub-install directly from the Live-ISO using a construct like 'grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda', thus avoiding the need to do a pro-forma (complete) install.

Return to “News & Anouncements”