Transition to Debian Jessie/Wheezy

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Deleted User 2764

Re: Transition to Debian Jessie/Wheezy

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 01 Feb 2015 16:35

I just want to thank you both Schoelje and Grizzler for all your hard work in this! I like the new Jessie ISOs better because now it doesn't come with a lot of stuff I would end up uninstalling anyway (especially on development VMs). It surely saves me a lot of time! :) I'm finishing up my main computer (still working great after clean install of newest SolydK64) then I'll be doing the same to my laptop. That has slightly different hardware so we'll see how it goes. I expect probably much easier as that machine was made before Win8 even was released.

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 01 Feb 2015 19:50

Just snagged the new iso. Looks great!!.
I'm ready for a re-pave of my laptop with it.
-Hinto

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 01 Feb 2015 20:05

I'm finding that the installer will suddenly close before finishing on first run. Happened on the desktop and again in a VM. I'm guessing it does this if you had used gparted from the installer to partition the drive. I'm going to try on my laptop to first use gparted and then run the installer afterwards. I don't want to do that with SolydX64 in the VM because I want to see if it's just the SolydK installer or both.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Feb 2015 21:24

RavenLX wrote:I'm finding that the installer will suddenly close before finishing on first run. Happened on the desktop and again in a VM. I'm guessing it does this if you had used gparted from the installer to partition the drive. I'm going to try on my laptop to first use gparted and then run the installer afterwards. I don't want to do that with SolydX64 in the VM because I want to see if it's just the SolydK installer or both.
Please, run "live-installer" from the terminal to get some more output.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 01 Feb 2015 21:44

I'll do that when I do the laptop (instead of doing gparted first). This way we can get a bird's eye view of what is going on.

mkcev

Postby mkcev » 02 Feb 2015 01:20

Really excited about the transition too. The update went well and when the grub window opened I selected the default options and proceed with the install.
When I booted I got a "drm:ilk_disply_irq_handler Pipe A Fifo underrun" error and the screen's resolution was huge. After the screen dimmer shutoff, the screen came back to normal.

So as grizzler suggested, I typed "sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc" . The notebook boots(non uefi) in normal resolution only sometimes, but still with the same initial error screen.

From what I read around it may be associated to grub, but i'm still clueless :shock:

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 02 Feb 2015 02:01

I got it (again with effort) installed on the laptop (which is where I'm typing right now). Wouldn't you know, the installer did not crash (which is good). I did capture everything anyway (attached).

I did have a ton of problems though just getting started. Seems like my laptop (which came with Win7 installed) required both Secure Boot and Legacy disabled and that means UEFI enabled. That's funny because my new Desktop which had Win 8.1 installed I set to legacy and it installed on that just fine and even boots in legacy (non UEFI). That is one for the books! :lol:

More on my laptop install problems later. It's getting late and I want to finish up a little bit before tomorrow. Tomorrow I'll be setting up the laptop. If I can remember and have time, I'll try the installer again in another VM and see if I can catch the sudden close/crash in action.

The attached is the output of a successful install procedure (I had used gparted to get the partitions the way I wanted during the install process).
Attachments
installer-nocrash.txt
(27.99 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

Return to “News & Anouncements”