Ready for the transition and new ISOs

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Ready for the transition and new ISOs

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 31 Jan 2015 13:21

The team has been toiling night and day to make the transition to Debian Jessie and Debian Wheezy as smooth as possible for you.

Everything is ready and you should now be able to upgrade. If you experience connection problems while attempting to upgrade this is probably due to a request overload of our server. Just wait a bit and try later.

Upgrading
Please, read the information page of the Update Manager, or my previous blog carefully before you start the upgrade.
These topics were made available on our forum if you need support:
HE to Jessie upgrade
BE to Wheezy upgrade
BE to Jessie upgrade

After the transition I will keep the old Debian repositories until February 28, 2015:
  • home-debian.solydxk.nl
  • business-debian.solydxk.nl
ISOs
With this transition come new ISOs and what better way to celebrate this new start then with a nice "nip 'n tuck"?

For both SolydX and SolydK the theming has changed. SolydK comes with the QtCurve theme, SolydX with Greybird and both use the fabulous Evolvere icon theme. After the installation you will be presented with a complete new welcome screen and most SolydXK tools were updated as well. We hope you're going to like this new edition.

The 64-bit versions are now available for download from the product pages. The 32-bit versions are community editions and will follow as soon as they are done. They will be available for download from the community editions page in the downloads section.

Credits
I want to thank everybody who helped making this all possible. I especially want to thank Frank (Grizzler) for making sure that all the home edition users received all the security updates they needed and thank you all for stepping up to keep this great distribution rolling!

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

MAYBL8

Re: Ready for the transition and new ISOs

Postby MAYBL8 » 31 Jan 2015 13:30

Schoelje ,
You are the one to be thanked.
Without you (and I don't want to forget ZeroZero) we wouldn't have this great distro at all.
You have kept something going that Linux Mint gave up on and I think with KDE and XFCE supported it was the right choice. I never did like Cinnamon and Mate I don't think will last too long.
I have learned enough here that I think I can go along with Debian Testing and have the kind of system I want.
A little stable and a little unstable at times. Kind of the best of both worlds.
Anyway thanks again and I hope to stick around for the long haul.
Thanks
Dan
P.S. I am still running 2 Back office systems one at home and one at work. I have started working on a Typo3 intranet site at work to replace our Sharepoint intranet that I don't like.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 31 Jan 2015 14:11

Thank you Schoelje and Grizzler! I'm up and on the laptop right now getting ready to upgrade it in-place. I'll be grabbing the ISO as well to put on my bootable USB so I have something in case I need to do a fresh install.

We plan to update the 32-bit ISOs as well. [Edited: Updated] See Grizzler's post below. The ISOs we built this much should be usable for the transition. We do plan to keep up with the 32-bit ISOs in the future as well.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 31 Jan 2015 15:00

RavenLX wrote:I'm hoping this will be done by the end of next week. Grizzler does the 32-bit SolydX so release of that depends on his time (and he's been super busy with the transition so please do be patient).
The transition has been Arjen's work really, although I have been working on something somewhat related (solydfixes). I had really wanted to have a proper fix for the Plymouth problem before releasing a new 32-bit ISO. Currently getting nowhere fast, unfortunately...
In the meantime, the 201501 set in http://downloads.solydxk.nl/ce/testing should be useable.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 31 Jan 2015 15:15

Great job, guys!
I've seen the distrowatch post as well.
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=08790
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 31 Jan 2015 18:13

@Grizzler: Ok, thanks! I'll wait for you then. I won't be making an ISO again until you give the go-ahead. I was just thinking about that. I'll also update my previous post.

mistergil

Postby mistergil » 31 Jan 2015 20:15

Change went smoothly here (SolydX 64) No issues to report. :-)

Thanks to the team for their continued hard work.
Reg. #439601

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 31 Jan 2015 22:08

I've mirrored (don't know if it's correct in english...) the different posts of Schoelje on the french part to help users.
Sorry for beeing a so little help :oops:

What a big evolution in only a few years!
Schoelje, ZZ and all those who helped in the past (cww, Gene among others), Grizzler and RavenLX who have brought some much already!
I just want to say: thank you so much :ugeek:
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 31 Jan 2015 22:50

I just updated my laptop (SolydK BE 64bit) & the changeover went perfectly. Thanks to all the team for a great job putting this together.
Desktop: 64bit 2.6gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK HE
Laptop: Dell D630 Latitude; 64bit 2gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK BE

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 01 Feb 2015 04:50

Posted my results in the HE to Jessie thread, actually. But as mentioned there, I had some hardware issues (darn desktop is very finicky) and installer died suddenly once. But I did manage to get it to install and here I am in the transitioned system. :) I went fresh install (I wiped out Windows 8.1, thankfully). Reminds me, I got to update my web site to reflect that when I have time. No more dual-booting! YAY! :)

Gonzalo_VC

Postby Gonzalo_VC » 01 Feb 2015 23:03

Well, I tried that in this SolydX 32 and worked fine, apparently.
update-ok.png
Good!
update-ok.png (192.08 KiB) Viewed 4691 times

Don't be a pirate, nor a slave. Use GNU/Linux!
GNU/Linux user 451206
SolydXK, GALPon MiniNo, PCLinuxOS, Xubuntu

mkcev

Postby mkcev » 02 Feb 2015 01:24

I quite liked the new theme. Thank you heaps for your work!

mdavies5

Postby mdavies5 » 06 Feb 2015 04:53

Congratulations on a great distro, on a par with Linux Mint. I like the way everything is included to make it an "out of the box experience". I normally have to install things like hddtemp and lm-sensors. Default settings also suit my tastes. I have 2 little problems I cannot solve:
1. I have configured Plymouth to use the joy theme and resolution 1680 x 1050. It completes successfully but says "Resolution: None". However, the preview works ok but when I reboot Plymouth is not activated. I just have a black terminal screen until the login arrives.
2. I configured the keyboard to restore the Numlock setting on reboot but this does not work. Numlock is always OFF after a reboot. If I set it on then it will survive a logoff/logon but not a full reboot.

Snap

Postby Snap » 06 Feb 2015 09:23

Plymouth is currently broken. It works for some systems but usually not. You'll need to wait for it to be fixed. It doesn't depend on SolydXK, though both Grizzler and Schoelje are struggling in finding a workaround.

About numlock, are you in K or X? In KDE I always have to install numlockx. KDE system Settings on it's own don't make it happen. There is often some conflict with System Settings and login managers fighting each other about setting the num lock. Don't know about SolydX specifically. In other SolydXK tweaks I have around (Razor-Qt or Fluxbox) I have numlockx set in the login manager or the startups. Do it once and forget about forever.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

just

Postby just » 06 Feb 2015 13:03

Snap wrote:Plymouth is currently broken...
plymouth is currently not.

it was never broken before, it is not broken now.

it works flawlessly on very different hardware, on Intel, ATI, Nvidia cards. it works without a hitch on 64bit SolydXK ISOs starting from the very beginning 2013.03 and ending up with the Nightly build of 2015-02-04.

if some software tool can't configure plymouth to run correctly, it doesn't mean that plymouth itself is broken. it may always be configured by hand. like described here, for example.

mkcev

Postby mkcev » 06 Feb 2015 13:09

just wrote:
Snap wrote:Plymouth is currently broken...
plymouth is currently not.

it was never broken before, it is not broken now.

it works flawlessly on very different hardware, on Intel, ATI, Nvidia cards. it works without a hitch on 64bit SolydXK ISOs starting from the very beginning 2013.03 and ending up with the Nightly build of 2015-02-04.

if some software tool can't configure plymouth to run correctly, it doesn't mean that plymouth itself is broken. it may always be configured by hand. like described here, for example.
Thanks, this helps. Although the upgrade when through smoothly on my ATI pc, I had the same problem with the resolution when installing X & K on my intel laptop for some odd reason. Cheers

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 06 Feb 2015 13:47

just wrote:it was never broken before, it is not broken now.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Originally, there was some more about plymouth following that line, but I'm afraid I'll get banned if I leave that in... :evil:
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 06 Feb 2015 14:05

My 2 cents.
It was working for .iso 2013xx. Somewhere after that it broke.
I will try to narrow that down but not sure if I can.

Edit 1:
Installed 201411 SolydX32
Plymouth worked after initial install.
Broke after updating.

I'm going to say that it has something to do with some update.
Is there a way to identify what is breaking it and hold it back from updating?

I also have a laptop upgraded and plymouth is working on it.
What can I compare to a working plymouth and a non-working plymouth?

Return to “News & Anouncements”