Community help needed: userbars

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
zerozero

Community help needed: userbars

Postby zerozero » 05 May 2013 11:54

[EDIT 28 December 2013]
Thanks to samriggs, you can now add a very cool userbar to your signature!
Here's an howto: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2442

[Original Post]
we are missing signature userbars and i would like to ask our beloved community to help us fill this gap.

What are userbars and what they good for?
- userbars are those little artistic bars we use in our forum sig, e-mail sig (everywhere, really if we want to) and shows that we are proud users of solydxk.

as an artist, you don't need to be told what and how to do it :lol: but if possible we would like to see 3 options
  • a generic solydxk userbar
  • a solydK userbar
  • a solydX userbar
====
you won't need this (i believe) but just in case here it is >> http://browse.deviantart.com/?order=9&q=userbars
====
below are some resources you might find useful (you don't have to use them, but if you do 8-) )
ACaslonPro-Bold.otf.tar.gz
(775.44 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
solydxk-svg.tar.gz
(72.37 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
bliss of ignorance

cwwgateway

Re: Community help needed: userbars

Postby cwwgateway » 05 May 2013 14:21

Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with 8-) .
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 05 May 2013 14:45

Schoelje wrote:
tuktuk22 wrote:congratz . will you two have the green color name like cww ? :lol:
I'm afraid green is the color for global moderators. So their names will be just like any regular user.
However, zerozero started a topic for userbars: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=543
From http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... 5644#p5644

In addition to the userbars zerozero mentioned and any you guys decide to come up with here are some ideas (I have no GIMP skills, but I have some ideas):
  • User bars for the Language Sub-Forum Moderators (or all Moderators/Administrators). As you can see from the quote above, they would help with identification.
  • SolydXK Testing Team user bars
  • Debian Testing/Debian Sid user bars
  • Donator user bars
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 05 May 2013 20:05

cwwgateway wrote: In addition to the userbars zerozero mentioned and any you guys decide to come up with here are some ideas (I have no GIMP skills, but I have some ideas):
  • User bars for the Language Sub-Forum Moderators (or all Moderators/Administrators). As you can see from the quote above, they would help with identification.
  • Donator user bars
Ok with this proposition! 8-)
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 05 May 2013 22:20

ane champenois wrote:
cwwgateway wrote: In addition to the userbars zerozero mentioned and any you guys decide to come up with here are some ideas (I have no GIMP skills, but I have some ideas):
  • Donator user bars
Ok with this proposition! 8-)
Glad you're happy with it. Unfortunately it's not immediately apparent that you're the moderator of the French forum, so a user bar could really help :)
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 06 May 2013 21:42

cwwgateway wrote: Unfortunately it's not immediately apparent that you're the moderator of the French forum, so a user bar could really help :)
Exactly! I hope some graphic designers could help us for that ;)

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 06 May 2013 21:44

ane champenois wrote:
cwwgateway wrote: Unfortunately it's not immediately apparent that you're the moderator of the French forum, so a user bar could really help :)
Exactly! I hope some graphic designers could help us for that ;)
I hope so too. Now all we need is someone willing to make some user bars...
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

Snap

Postby Snap » 19 Sep 2013 08:45

If still not done or noone in charge of this....

About the generic, K and X userbars, shouldn't be defined first a few ranks or categories? Let's say from 1 to 10 or 20. Will be they named or just considered plain levels or categories? If graded, just showing a level number or category regarding the number of posts? Or should the level have a name? How do you want them to be folks?

I can make a try on this but my Graphic abilities are pretty limited. Just tell me the crude and plain truth if you don't like the result. I'm ready for that. :lol: :mrgreen:

But I'll need some guidance about how the userbars policy will be or how will/should work.

About the Moderator, testing teams and donors bars, will they live in the user signature field below or in the user box (box, field or whatever it is called) at the right? I mean, where the user name and avatar live. This will change the design altogether. So let's define these parameters. ;)
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 19 Sep 2013 09:59

hi Snap 8-)
thanks for picking up this project :ugeek:

trying to answer some of those questions:
Snap wrote:will they live in the user signature field below or in the user box
we can only put these kind of userbar in the sig field; the space next to the avatar (and right under it) has predefined values
Snap wrote:shouldn't be defined first a few ranks or categories? Let's say from 1 to 10 or 20. Will be they named or just considered plain levels or categories?
i see what you are saying; we never considered ranking the users (by post numbers or other); personally i don't think it's something that important and in the end of the day has no function whatsoever :lol: (but if the general consensus is different and our users want to be ranked according to post number we will look into it :P )
Snap wrote:I can make a try on this but my Graphic abilities are pretty limited. Just tell me the crude and plain truth if you don't like the result. I'm ready for that. :lol: :mrgreen:
you'll do a fine job ;)
bliss of ignorance

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 19 Sep 2013 11:59

I don't like the idea of ranking: in here we are all equal, and ranking would contradict that.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

greywolf

Postby greywolf » 19 Sep 2013 12:16

Schoelje wrote:I don't like the idea of ranking: in here we are all equal, and ranking would contradict that.
Totally agree! Ranking is a pointless waste of time. I am a member of one forum (where they rank by number of posts) and one user just regurgitates snippets from half a dozen Linux blogs around the internet. Their post count is enormous but for anyone keeping up with Linux news, it is one gigantic repetition. Quality not quantity please!

On the bars; can we approach the artist who did the Mint ones - bit of inter-distribution co-operation perhaps? They were real perty! :)

Greywolf.
( who cannot even draw decent stick figures!! )
It was about the dragons. It was always about the dragons!

Snap

Postby Snap » 19 Sep 2013 13:24

Nice, it's even easier without a posting ranking. Less images to do. :mrgreen:

I also like the idea of all equal.

So, images required: (correct me if I'm wrong)

- Generic SolydXK userbar
- SolydX userbar
- SolydK userbar
- Testing Team userbar
- Debian Testing userbar
- Debian Sid userbar
- Donors userbar
On the bars; can we approach the artist who did the Mint ones - bit of inter-distribution co-operation perhaps? They were real perty!
Yes, I have them on mind (and downloaded right here), but won't copy them either. ;)

Snap

Postby Snap » 19 Sep 2013 13:40

Hey, guys. Do you like this one as a starting point? Do you feel the size is ok?

I plan to add the text for the different labels/userbar types at the right of the logo.

I also want to add some shadow to give a bit of 3D sense, plus maybe some more brightness and polishing or glassy feel on the surface. Let's see what i can get. These last things are a true challenge for my skills. :roll:

odo5435

Postby odo5435 » 19 Sep 2013 15:29

Well done Snap for having a go at this. My graphic skills are abysmal, just like my programming/computing skills :lol: But, FWIW, my $0.02.
Snap wrote:Hey, guys. Do you like this one as a starting point?
It's probably a personal thing, but I think the 'SolysXK'' text followed by the 'X''and 'K' graphics to be redundant. Is it possible to just use 'Solyd' followed by the combined 'XK' as shown on this Distrowatch page for something generic and then the choice of a userbar with either 'X' or 'K' for those wanting to be more specific?
Snap wrote:Do you feel the size is ok?
It's probably a little too large. IMHO a userbar should be unobtrusive yet still make a statement. Without actually having played with the re-sizing myself - maybe 75% of what you have?
Snap wrote:I also want to add some shadow to give a bit of 3D sense, plus maybe some more brightness and polishing or glassy feel on the surface. Let's see what i can get. These last things are a true challenge for my skills.
I'd love to say I could help with this but, as I said earlier, my graphic skills are somewhat limited . My talents lie more in the administrative/organisational direction.

Finally, as much as I hate over complicating thing by offering too many choices (again IMHO, the three 'Testing Team - Debian Testing - Debian Sid' userbars could probably all fit under the 'SolydXK Testing Team' userbar) , I'd also like to suggest just one more category - 'SolydXK Administrator'. It's not so much that the Admins would want the recognition as that a forum poster or other user would know that comments by these members carries a degree of authority.

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody."
Lily Tomlin

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 19 Sep 2013 15:46

odo5435 wrote:Finally, as much as I hate over complicating thing by offering too many choices (again IMHO, the three 'Testing Team - Debian Testing - Debian Sid' userbars could probably all fit under the 'SolydXK Testing Team' userbar)
Agreed.
odo5435 wrote:, I'd also like to suggest just one more category - 'SolydXK Administrator'. It's not so much that the Admins would want the recognition as that a forum poster or other user would know that comments by these members carries a degree of authority.
It shouldn't be necessary, but when this forum grows, there might come a moment that users do not know who ZeroZero, or Schoelje are. So, also agreed.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 19 Sep 2013 23:24

i have to agree with
odo5435 wrote:It's probably a personal thing, but I think the 'SolysXK'' text followed by the 'X''and 'K' graphics to be redundant. Is it possible to just use 'Solyd' followed by the combined 'XK' as shown on this Distrowatch page for something generic and then the choice of a userbar with either 'X' or 'K' for those wanting to be more specific?
bliss of ignorance

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 20 Sep 2013 08:27

Great news this topic is re-opened 8-)
Thanks Snap to give your time for us...and I'm sure you'll do your best, and surely better than me if i had try :geek:
Just a request, according to this (old) post http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php ... bars#p5644
Schoelje wrote:
tuktuk22 wrote:congratz . will you two have the green color name like cww ? :lol:
I'm afraid green is the color for global moderators. So their names will be just like any regular user.
However, zerozero started a topic for userbars: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=543
I think it could be nice to have a moderator bar (me and Crizzly are concerned at this moment) :mrgreen:

odo5435

Postby odo5435 » 20 Sep 2013 08:53

ane champenois wrote:I think it could be nice to have a moderator bar
My apologies for not noticing this wasn't on the list - it was getting late. Just to clear any confusion, my suggestion is that different Userbars should be available for the following categories:

- SolydXK User
- SolydX User
- SolydK User
- SolydXK Testing Team
- SolydXK Donor
- SolydXK Forum Moderator
- SolydXK Developer/Administrator

EDIT= What you have done so far looks great Snap. With the changes you have in mind, plus maybe minor tweaking, you'll end up with something looking real good of which you can be proud! :mrgreen:

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody."
Lily Tomlin

Snap

Postby Snap » 20 Sep 2013 09:20

It's probably a little too large. IMHO a userbar should be unobtrusive yet still make a statement. Without actually having played with the re-sizing myself - maybe 75% of what you have?
Yes, I think the same. I made it about the same size (height) than the Linux Mint bar, which looks like a good size at first instance, but for some reason this one feels like more intrusive. Maybe because the LM one is plainer in colors. Or maybe because the background. This Solyd sample floats. :lol:

I'll try different sizing options, but it's important to know how you feel about the size, because I work in a way bigger size and then resize the result to fit in the signature space. I need to know how the big thing translates once downsized to the target size. I you prefer it much smaller than this one maybe I'll take another direction with the design.

Opinions, please.
It's probably a personal thing, but I think the 'SolysXK'' text followed by the 'X''and 'K' graphics to be redundant. Is it possible to just use 'Solyd' followed by the combined 'XK' as shown on this Distrowatch page for something generic and then the choice of a userbar with either 'X' or 'K' for those wanting to be more specific?
Good idea. I'll try the approach of the combined logo for the generic label too. I'll make a few designs and then you can choose or vote the ones you'd like to go through further. It's up to you, guys.

About the different bars types. keep going discussing it. Once we get the final design I'll make the different types from it

odo5435

Postby odo5435 » 20 Sep 2013 12:08

Snap wrote:...it's important to know how you feel about the size, ...
Opinions, please.
Since you asked... :lol:

It still seems a little large, but we also don't want it so small it can't be read!! Just a thought, is there any blank space above or below your image that would take up more room than is necessary and making it appear large?

Also, if you look closely at the Solyd Logo, as seen at this page, you'll see that the 'Solyd' text is not centre left of the graphic. It is placed to the upper left of the graphic.

I don't know how precious the developers are about their 'Solyd' logo, but it always looks more professional to me when there is consistency across every version.

Lily Tomlin

Return to “News & Anouncements”