New releases!

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: New releases!

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Jun 2015 17:14

I'm glad you're back again!

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

BostonPeng

Postby BostonPeng » 10 Jun 2015 17:27

I am too. It was too long, plus it was a huge pain to not have my own laptop. Using the library's laptops was great compared to not having anything but I lost time every day just to get my Chrome settings loaded back in.
J.M. Hardin

System:
ASUS X555LA notebook

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Jun 2015 06:16

@grizzler
Shall I release the EE ISOs?

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 14 Jun 2015 08:28

Unless I've missed something, no testers have reported any 'release critical' issues, so...

Yes please.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Jun 2015 09:17

The EE editions have been added to the Community Page: http://solydxk.nl/downloads/community-editions/
The news has been blogged: http://solydxk.nl/enthusiasts-editions/
and posted: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5668

SolydXK needs you!

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 21 Jun 2015 19:36

During an installation this afternoon from ISO SolydK201506 I experienced again the issue that my language and location were incorrectly proposed, earlier in this thread mentioned as cannot find the user's geo-location. I instantly checked my internet connection, but that was OK. During my previous installation from the same ISO some 10 days ago, all was fine, so it must be something on the server.

Another thing - no idea if related - is that the final window that proposes to reboot is mixed language: text is Dutch but buttons are still English:
InstallatieVoltooid.png

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 22 Jun 2015 06:53

The geo-thingy is solved...again.
The mixed language is something I don't know how to solve. Buttons on message boxes are handled by the desktop. I don't have any influence on that by code and setting the locale (during language selection) doesn't seem to be enough for those objects.

SolydXK needs you!

JSladek

Postby JSladek » 29 Jun 2015 17:44

Now that I have seen the stable based SolydK in operation, a couple of lingering questions remain. SInce Firefox and Thunderbird aren't in the Debian repository, are those still updated via the Solydxk repo (Thunderbird 38.0.1 came out a couple of weeks ago, but it hasn't come through yet)? And since LibreOffice is handled under Debian, should I then expect any upgrades to that package as well as others to be released under the Debian point releases?

I like the idea of SolydK being based on Debian stable, but I don't know where certain applications of interest stand and whether at some point I should be downloading them directly. I don't believe that being on the "cutting edge" of everything with EE is in my interest. But I don't have any desire to go archaic with some applications.

BTW - the transition was very smooth. A job well done by all.

Zill

Postby Zill » 29 Jun 2015 20:26

JSladek: My understanding is that Firefox and Thunderbird will continue to be updated via the SolydXK repos. Having said that, patience is a virtue and so I expect Thunderbird will be updated to v38.0.1 in due course! I doubt you will find any significant difference between the current version and the new version so there is no rush to do this IMO.

Regarding LibreOffice, I don't believe you will see any significant change from the current v4.3.3 until the next Debian Stable (stretch) is released. This is because Debian point releases exist simply to ensure that the latest ISO incorporates the latest security fixes, reducing the additional package downloading needed following the installation of a new system. No new functionality will be introduced for Debian packages until the next Debian Stable is released.

As far as downloading software directly, unless you are very experienced with Linux, this is a sure-fire way to break your system as you are very likely to enter "dependency hell".

If you want a reliable system, albeit with slightly dated applications, just stick to the SolydXK main edition(s) and enjoy the rock-solid stability of Debian. Alternatively, if you want to live on the wild side with the "latest and greatest" and enjoy fixing things then the EE may be the way forward. ;-)

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 29 Jun 2015 20:34

Regarding Libreoffice, it is terribly easy to install a newer version anyway...
an old tutorial but always useful:
http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... ibreoffice
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

JSladek

Postby JSladek » 29 Jun 2015 21:27

Thanks for the info and insight. There is a bug in the current LibreOffice that I understand may have been corrected since v4.3.3.2. The bug is more of a nuisance and I think that weighing stablility versus always "up-to-date" - I'll live with the bug. I am "marking" the procedure for direct installation - just in case.

That also clarifies the philosophy of application updates for me. Many thanks.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Jun 2015 07:10

If you really need a newer version of a package you can check if it is provided by the jessie-backports repository. You can check that by running this command:

Code: Select all

apt policy <package_name>
Example:

apt policy libreoffice
You see that a newer version is available in jessie-backports.

If you want to install that version of the package you need to explicitly define the repository in the command:

sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports install libreoffice
After the installation you will automatically follow the jessie-backports repository for those packages and for those packages only. All the other packages will get updates through the regular jessie repository.

Note that installing from the jessie-backports repository comes with an increased risk of breakage. It is available for your convenience but it's not enabled by default.

SolydXK needs you!

JSladek

Postby JSladek » 30 Jun 2015 10:58

Hey, thanks, Arjen. That a really great tip. Does the apt-get -t add backports to the repository listing? I didn't see the "t" switch in the apt-get command list.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Jun 2015 11:18

JSladek wrote:Hey, thanks, Arjen. That a really great tip. Does the apt-get -t add backports to the repository listing? I didn't see the "t" switch in the apt-get command list.
You can get more information on a command by checking its manual. In this case:

man apt-get
When you search for the -t argument you find this explanation:
-t, --target-release, --default-release
This option controls the default input to the policy engine; it creates a default pin at
priority 990 using the specified release string. This overrides the general settings in
/etc/apt/preferences. Specifically pinned packages are not affected by the value of this
option. In short, this option lets you have simple control over which distribution
packages will be retrieved from. Some common examples might be -t '2.1*', -t unstable or
-t sid. Configuration Item: APT::Default-Release; see also the apt_preferences(5) manual
page.
In other words: the -t argument overrides the current repository "jessie" and replaces it with the one you pass with that argument. In our case "jessie-backports".

SolydXK needs you!

JSladek

Postby JSladek » 30 Jun 2015 11:25

Again, many thanks!!

Zill

Postby Zill » 30 Jun 2015 11:49

JSladek wrote:... Does the apt-get -t add backports to the repository listing?
Just to clarify... your /etc/apt/sources.list should already have the backports repository listed:

deb http://repository.solydxk.com/ solydxk main upstream import
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports main contrib non-free
See "http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1529"

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 30 Jun 2015 13:49

That's really interesting to know.
Therefore:

a) even if we have the backports repository in our source list, we are neither advised automatically of the availability of a newer version of installed packages through that channel nor we will receive any update from it. Right?

b) As Schoelje explained, if we force version and install a package from backports repository, that package will follow from that moment on the backports channel and get, in this case, automatic updates in the future.
Is this true for packages upgraded to backports (force version) in synaptic as well (instead of via terminal)?
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Jun 2015 14:28

palimmo wrote:That's really interesting to know.
Therefore:

a) even if we have the backports repository in our source list, we are neither advised automatically of the availability of a newer version of installed packages through that channel nor we will receive any update from it. Right?
That is affirmative.
palimmo wrote:b) As Schoelje explained, if we force version and install a package from backports repository, that package will follow from that moment on the backports channel and get, in this case, automatic updates in the future.
Is this true for packages upgraded to backports (force version) in synaptic as well (instead of via terminal)?
As far as I know, there is no difference.

SolydXK needs you!

JSladek

Postby JSladek » 30 Jun 2015 20:05

For Zill .... yes, I do have backports repository listed.

Then I presume the action with the -t switch could be reversible. If, for example, I chose to no longer "stay on the cutting edge" of a particular application, then I can switch back to stable for that application. Of course, that action would not "remove" the app and restore with the stable version, but it would no longer offer a later version of the app until it hit the stable repository. Back to "normal".

I am more and more impressed with Solydxk as time goes by - especially with the "under the hood" revelations.

Zill

Postby Zill » 30 Jun 2015 22:07

JSladek wrote:... Then I presume the action with the -t switch could be reversible. If, for example, I chose to no longer "stay on the cutting edge" of a particular application, then I can switch back to stable for that application. Of course, that action would not "remove" the app and restore with the stable version, but it would no longer offer a later version of the app until it hit the stable repository. Back to "normal".
This may possibly work but you should not rely on this functionality. There is no "official" way to downgrade Debian packages and so it is pure chance whether this would work or not!

Bottom line: Don't install a backported package unless you really want to stick with it for the life of the release.

Return to “News & Anouncements”