Happy Holidays!

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Happy Holidays!

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 27 Dec 2016 08:09

I blogged this a few days ago, but forgot to post it here too. :oops: So, here it is:

It has been quite an eventful year but in the midst of all this turmoil we’ve created a place where we can come together and exchange ideas and help each other whether you are new to Linux or a veteran. I created SolydXK almost four years ago and I’m proud to see what it has become. We did that together. Some came and went, some came back later but most still use SolydXK today or visit our forum once in a while. Whatever the reason, I hope that we will continue working together on this marvelous OS. I could not do it without you.

That said, it has been over a year since I last asked for your help but unfortunately, it’s that time again. If you have something to spare, please consider a donation for SolydXK.

I’d like to use this opportunity to wish you and your families happy holidays all the best wishes for 2017 and thank you all very much for your help!

Best wishes,

Arjen Balfoort

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

SolydForEver

Re: Happy Holidays!

Postby SolydForEver » 27 Dec 2016 21:04

It is 12 hours ago that Schoelje wrote his request for donations and nobody here responded. Not good, people.
When I did not donate money (€100) some weeks ago already I would do it now. It is so important to keep this distro, repos and website alive and this can only be done by donating money.
Yes, it does feel like buying the software, something we had to do when still using Windows, but think about the pleasure you have from using it, think about all the versions you have installed already, for yourself and maybe also for others. Divide your donation by the number of installations and what do you get: a distro almost for free. So show your generous side and open up your wallet.

Just saying "thank you Schoelje" does not put butter on the man's bread, not to mention the yummie Dutch cheese we have over here.

SolydForEver ( a name which will disappear when the distro dies)

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 27 Dec 2016 22:53

Just because I didn't respond, doesn't mean I didn't donate.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 28 Dec 2016 05:28

MAYBL8 wrote:Just because I didn't respond, doesn't mean I didn't donate.
I know people will also donate without letting know they did, it was just my way of helping Schoelje to raise more money by letting people know it is so important. And by writing here you did donate, it might inspire others to do so as well.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 28 Dec 2016 11:54

Is there a link to show the donations received somewhere?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 28 Dec 2016 12:42

MAYBL8 wrote:Is there a link to show the donations received somewhere?
There is none but like the previous time I'll publish the total amount in a month or two.

SolydXK needs you!

eselma

Postby eselma » 28 Dec 2016 22:46

Well, I put my tip ('a drop of oil to keep the engine running') via PayPal,
By the way, the interface appears in Dutch. Not a big problem for me, but can be for someone not used to PayPal.

Once again, have a good New Year (perhaps in time to publish a new issue - SolydXK 2017 ? - and let know to Distrowatch. Last installation I did with November 'nightly' worked very well. And we are in risk to disappear from the visible list, as SolysXK is nearing the dangerous < 100 place.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 29 Dec 2016 06:48

It happened already, we are off the list. Come on people: visit Distrowatch.com and click on SolydXK as much as you can. Come every day and make this distro rise. You need to click "more statistics first", then scroll down the list till you see SolydXK and click it. Let's start 2017 back in the list again, the list from 1 - 100.
Happy New Year.

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 29 Dec 2016 08:56

SolydForEver wrote:It happened already, we are off the list. Come on people: visit Distrowatch.com and click on SolydXK as much as you can. Come every day and make this distro rise. You need to click "more statistics first", then scroll down the list till you see SolydXK and click it. Let's start 2017 back in the list again, the list from 1 - 100.
Happy New Year.
I do that once a day... always :facepalm:
we need probably soon a new release :clap:
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 29 Dec 2016 10:59

eselma wrote:Well, I put my tip ('a drop of oil to keep the engine running') via PayPal,
By the way, the interface appears in Dutch. Not a big problem for me, but can be for someone not used to PayPal.
Funny, because when I login it's all in English!
I just read that Paypal is handling language (and other things) automatically both for customer and merchant. So, there's not much I can do.

SolydXK needs you!

Zill

Postby Zill » 29 Dec 2016 20:40

My apologies for drifting slightly off-topic but why all this talk of a "new release"?

The SolydXK main editions are based on Debian stable (a "fixed" release) and so, logically, a new release of SolydXK is only needed after a new release of Debian stable. Debian stable "point releases" can be ignored as these are no different functionally to the base release.

It follows that the latest version of SolydXK main edition should be functionally identical to an original version that has been regularly updated with either "apt upgrade" or via the Update Manager GUI as these updates primarily provide security patches but no change in functionality.

As SolydXK EE is based on Debian testing, this is already a rolling release and so there is no necessity for a "new" ISO as long as SolydXK EE packages are kept current by running "apt dist-upgrade".

While Distrowatch.com can make for entertaining reading, it cannot provide any real data about the actual number of users for any particular distro, as Distrowatch itself acknowledges...
The DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics are a light-hearted way of measuring the popularity of Linux distributions and other free operating systems among the visitors of this website. They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more.
So, as well as being irrelevant, any attempts to artificially boost the Distrowatch numbers are, IMHO, about as ethical as rigging an election by stuffing a ballot box with dummy votes. As Al Capone suggested, "Vote early and vote often!". :roll:

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 29 Dec 2016 21:45

So, as well as being irrelevant, any attempts to artificially boost the Distrowatch numbers are, IMHO, about as ethical as rigging an election by stuffing a ballot box with dummy votes. As Al Capone suggested, "Vote early and vote often!".

You are against artificially boost the numbers, but you agree with one of the greatest crooks all time to vote early and vote often?
What will happen, according to you, when we all vote often? Isn't that exactly what I wrote here and asked everyone to do just to get us back on the visible list?

Zill

Postby Zill » 29 Dec 2016 23:03

SolydForEver: It seems that my feeble attempt at irony has been lost in translation. :-(

You are quite right in that I am against artificially boosting the Distrowatch numbers. However, I most certainly do not agree with one of the greatest crooks of all time to vote early and vote often!

I simply used this phrase in a (failed!) attempt at humour and never wish to see this occur in practice.

From the Wikipedia article "Vote early and vote often":
Vote early and vote often is a generally tongue-in-cheek phrase used in relation to elections and the voting process. Though rarely considered a serious suggestion, the phrase theoretically encourages corrupt electoral activity, but is used mostly to suggest the occurrence of such corruption.
Sorry about the confusion. :oops:

eselma

Postby eselma » 04 Jan 2017 13:43

Zill wrote:My apologies for drifting slightly off-topic but why all this talk of a "new release"?

The SolydXK main editions are based on Debian stable (a "fixed" release) and so, logically, a new release of SolydXK is only needed after a new release of Debian stable. Debian stable "point releases" can be ignored as these are no different functionally to the base release.
While Distrowatch.com can make for entertaining reading, it cannot provide any real data about the actual number of users for any particular distro, as Distrowatch itself acknowledges...
The DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics are a light-hearted way of measuring the popularity of Linux distributions and other free operating systems among the visitors of this website. They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more.
Sorry for this late reply, I was in a short trip. What I meant in my former post:

We agree that SolydXK is based in Debian Stable, but it is NOT Debian Stable, is a derived distro, with a selection of software, appearence and some utilities made by Schoelje. As other distros do: Mint is based on *ubuntu, but different from it. Another example, MXLinux is based in Debian Stable -like SolydX is- but recently issued a new version, over a rock-solid Debian 8.6. There is no calendar to do it; it can be done 'when all is ready', but there is no need to wait two or three years. Drop by drop, new updates of utilities and some changes of preferred software (as was Firefox ESR instead of Firefox 'too frequent updates') make SolydXK different and better than the version I installed. When this happens, Distrowatch can publish it and some people can hear of SolydXK, perhaps try it... and perhaps become a new user. Then, the name of our beloved distro is shown in their list. Either as the first one -I agree, this is not a contest- or as the 99th. When this happens the visitors can know that that distro simply exists. At the moment SolydXK is not shown on the front page, has sunk under the 100th. Nothing more or less.

No Linux distro can exist without developers (thank you again, Arjen) but has no real reason neither without users. I did not knew about SolydXK before visiting Distrowatch, nobody near me used it and could recommend it to me. I saw the distro in DW -it is my start page- liked its philosophy, tried it and here I am. Other users could do the same. Everybody remembers a bunch of visitors, frequent users of this forum, now missing and perhaps using other distros (aside of 'distro hoppers'). Usually, new members replace them, this happens on most distros... alive. Not in the 'dormant' ones.

I think most of us would like more 'helping hands' in this community, specially after zerozero and others had to leave. Where are we going to get them now? Yes, more does not mean better, but less can be an overload for our team, specially Arjen. and finally endanger SolydXK. Or, in the other hand, being unable to run our own repositories, web page and forums.

Being a Linux user for more than 15 years now, I've seen many distros appear and vanish. SolydXK is very convenient for my everyday use. Should it be exactly like Debian, rather I could be using the parent distro. Perhaps a move I am compelled to do soon?

Not my like, of course. If the suggestion I did can bother anyone, my apologies. Only I wish long live to SolydXK.

Zill

Postby Zill » 04 Jan 2017 16:44

eselma: I do agree with many of your comments. However, I am not convinced that a "new" version would be "better than the version I installed".

This is because I have kept my SolydX system fully updated since it was first installed back in December 2013. This includes the upgrade from HE (testing) to Jessie (stable) in February 2015.

Issuing a "new" ISO would therefore offer no advantage to existing users but would basically increase workload on Arjen and any other developers involved.

For new users, the advantage of a "new" ISO would be that, after the initial installation, fewer updates would be required to bring SolydXK up to the current build standard. However, I would not expect these packages to be a particularly large download.

The question is, IMHO, will the number of new users attracted by Distrowatch be sufficient to justify the additional developer workload in producing a "new" ISO?

While it may seem nice to attract more users to SolydXK, I am not convinced that we need to acquire more "here today, gone tomorrow" users. The users who will really make good use of our great distro will surely find out more about it through their own efforts.

eselma

Postby eselma » 04 Jan 2017 17:03

Zill wrote:eselma: I do agree with many of your comments. However, I am not convinced that a "new" version would be "better than the version I installed".
Of course it would be quite alike the version you ALREADY have installed. But I presume it could be better than the version -not Solydxk- some new users have installed AT THE MOMENT. This is the point; not about today's users.
Zill wrote:The question is, IMHO, will the number of new users attracted by Distrowatch be sufficient to justify the additional developer workload in producing a "new" ISO?
We have so-called 'nightly' ISOs. The last install I did was with one of this ISOs, and worked like a charm. Almost no new workload should be necessary.
Zill wrote:While it may seem nice to attract more users to SolydXK, I am not convinced that we need to acquire more "here today, gone tomorrow" users. The users who will really make good use of our great distro will surely find out more about it through their own efforts.
A percentage of 'gone tomorrow', as we can check every month, is granted (in any distro). What matters is getting new users AS WELL. The first step is trying they can hear about the mere existence of this distro.

But if you believe the existing base of users is enough, no problem from my side. We can become a 'well hidden treasure'. While it lasts...

Cory

Postby Cory » 07 Jan 2017 22:09

Belated, but nevertheless: a healthy, happy, friendly and fruitful 2017 to everyone.
Especially to Arjen and the SolydXK team the warmest possible wishes and thumbs up!
Are you Solyd-ified yet?

Return to “News & Anouncements”