SolydXK-9 RC2: testing upgrade, ISOs, changes and more

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
grizzler

Re: SolydXK-9 RC2: testing upgrade, ISOs, changes and more

Postby grizzler » 14 Jul 2017 13:32

Ran solydfixes upgrade on the old SolydX 8 VM (also with DMO). Got bitten by the albatross. That part of the solydfixes function does exactly the same thing as the solydx8-9.sh script, so I don't think that makes a difference (I'll restore the VM to 8 and rerun the upgrade with the script anyway).
I think removing the murrine-themes and reinstalling them near the end of the run may fix this. Not sure yet, though.

I selected to keep DMO in this case, and that worked fine as well.

Note: the script removes sambashare, but the right click menu on the desktop still has the option to manage shares (which now does nothing, of course...).

Thunderbird is gone from the favourites menu. I'll check if that also happens after the rerun.

Edit
Yup. Same result with the solydx8-9.sh script. However, after erroring at the end of the second dist-upgrade, it runs straight into the post dist-upgrade, which picks up the pieces. The only thing that ends up missing is the albatross theme.
No thunderbird in the favourites menu either.

Another issue with thunderbird: Debian has given its version number an epoch. And 1:45.8.0-3 is higher than 52.2.0. Pin priority doesn't help here.

And this is why the rerun started with the removal of all kind of samba related packages... Nice. NOT!
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Jul 2017 19:16

grizzler wrote:Note: the script removes sambashare, but the right click menu on the desktop still has the option to manage shares (which now does nothing, of course...).
I've updated the solydx-system-adjustments packages to remove that section from /etc/skel/.config/Thunar/uac.xml:

Code: Select all

<action>
	<icon>folder-remote</icon>
	<name>Create samba share</name>
	<unique-id>1500049536962137-13</unique-id>
	<command>sambashare %f %n</command>
	<description>Create a samba share</description>
	<patterns>*</patterns>
	<directories/>
</action>
But I cannot do that from the user's ~/.config/Thunar/uac.xml. That needs to be done manually.
grizzler wrote:Thunderbird is gone from the favourites menu. I'll check if that also happens after the rerun.

Edit
Yup. Same result with the solydx8-9.sh script. However, after erroring at the end of the second dist-upgrade, it runs straight into the post dist-upgrade, which picks up the pieces. The only thing that ends up missing is the albatross theme.
No thunderbird in the favourites menu either.
Thunderbird favorite was still there after the upgrade. :?
grizzler wrote:Another issue with thunderbird: Debian has given its version number an epoch. And 1:45.8.0-3 is higher than 52.2.0. Pin priority doesn't help here.
So, if I build thunderbird as 1:52.2.0 that would be solved?
grizzler wrote:And this is why the rerun started with the removal of all kind of samba related packages... Nice. NOT!
:evil:

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Jul 2017 19:48

I've updated Thunderbird and now it correctly updates to our version.

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 15 Jul 2017 03:30

I installed Solydx RC2 on a Lenovo T440P with root encryption and everything looks good so far.
Just figuring out the encryption specifics took 2 tries - it's not obvious that you have to click "advanced" (or some such) before you see the possibility to assign /boot - on first try I assigned /boot/efi by mistake.

First thing I did was change back to oxygen icon theme ...

sdibaja

Postby sdibaja » 15 Jul 2017 14:18

Schoelje wrote:RC2 can be downloaded from the OP: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6930&p=65621
Installed RC2 on Dell E5410 with fresh SSD. Now at 21+ hours uptime. I have detected no problems.
I do like your new updater, kinda cute

PS: Windows 10 was installed first, then SolydXK with separate /home. Then Mate desktop was added.
I am setting up three identical recycled laptops for my grandkids. They are Spanish speaking and find Mate more intuitive then Xfce.
I plan to setup the other two today and deploy on Sunday. Gonna have some happy kids.
Peter E

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 15 Jul 2017 15:53

I have uploaded the final RCs which you can download from the OP: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6930&p=65621

It has been a lot of work but it's been worth it. I'm very happy with the result and I hope you will be too.

If nobody objects I will release them tomorrow.

SolydXK needs you!

sdibaja

Postby sdibaja » 15 Jul 2017 16:11

Schoelje wrote:I have uploaded the final RCs which you can download from the OP: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6930&p=65621

It has been a lot of work but it's been worth it. I'm very happy with the result and I hope you will be too.

If nobody objects I will release them tomorrow.
excellent! I am downloading now.
Peter E

sdibaja

Postby sdibaja » 15 Jul 2017 20:00

RC2 install went well. Everything works fine.
Thanks for your efforts.
Peter E

Crewp

Postby Crewp » 15 Jul 2017 23:36

Ive been running SolydX 32 bit Stretch for over a week and I am not finding a single bug. Granted this old desktop is a single core pentium 4, but still, she is purring like a kitten with Stretch.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 16 Jul 2017 06:42

There's still a problem with the SolydX upgrade. In spite of the rm to handle the xfce-blue.jpg file, removing solydx-system-adjustments-8 keeps failing because of that file. At first I thought it was just something in my own script, but after a careful check of the apt logs, I see the same thing happen in a solydx8-9.sh run.
The strange thing is, that file isn't even there to start with. It's almost like the 'undivert' is happening twice somehow. :?

I'll take another good look at this later today.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Jul 2017 09:16

I've updated the prerm scripts in all adjustments packages.
It should be fixed now.
Running solydx8-9 upgrade now...

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 16 Jul 2017 10:35

Don't know about the new fixes yet, but I've just seen that file appear during the final dist-upgrade (both it and xfce-teal.jpg, but that doesn't have a divert version, so that doesn't matter).

For now I'm just adding another round of rm actions (after the dist-upgrade) to the upgrade script.

Edit
Yup. That works (yes of course it does... :roll: )
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Jul 2017 12:07

I've just updated the adjustments packages again.
It seems that it could leave a .divert file while the diversion in dpkg-divert was removed correctly. This caused an error when installing the new adjustments package.

Now I test upgraded SolydX8 to SolydX9 without the rm lines in the script and it finished without an error. :D

SolydXK needs you!

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 16 Jul 2017 13:02

I feel sorry to not have been able to participate more in testing Solyd-9, due to time constraints / priorities :)
Anyhow, yesterday I have been working on preparing and customizing my systems for SolydK9.

These are in short my findings so far on a fresh-installed bare-metal SolydK9-RC2 (hash checked):

open issues:
* when live-ISO is started from /boot-isos, partition list is empty in Installer
* mousewheel scrolling in Dolphin Folder panel is painfully slow -> personally my main concern!
* switching between app-launchers changes the size of the (same!) K-icon
* creating new note in Knotes crashes because Akonadi has failed starting

my customizations:
* after switching to Oxygen theme, font size of digital clock in tray is very small
* new tabs in Kate are inserted from left, recompiled it to be appending from right
* no screensaver available OOTB, installed xscreensaver (obsolete but functional)
* undone the systemd wired network naming plan back to eth#
* pulse volume can suddenly change: flat-volumes=no in daemon.conf (important!)
* chromium (not pre-installed) keeps yelling for kwallet: [Auto Deny] kdewallet=Chromium in kwalletrc
* kernel boot warning related to TPM: switch Thinkpad security chip to Disabled in BIOS

questions:
* remmina seems not available anymore in stretch, revert to krdc?

Some items are not SolydK specific, but Debian or KDE general related.

Nice work done, Schoelje, Grizzler and many others! SolydK remains my dedicated distro!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 16 Jul 2017 14:48

Schoelje wrote:I've just updated the adjustments packages again.
It seems that it could leave a .divert file while the diversion in dpkg-divert was removed correctly. This caused an error when installing the new adjustments package.
Odd. That doesn't sound like what I saw happen here. I was keeping an eye on the directory with the diverted version of that file and during the final dist-upgrade - which doesn't involve the adjustments package directly, judging by the apt logs - all of a sudden two non-diverted files appeared. One of them didn't even have a diverted version.
I haven't tried to track what exactly was responsible for that, but it definitely happened at a time the adjustments package itself was not being handled.
Now I test upgraded SolydX8 to SolydX9 without the rm lines in the script and it finished without an error. :D
I'll have another go with the new packages later today.

Edit
To add to that, when those two files appeared, the adjustments package was still fully installed, so I would have expected those files (or at least the first one) to be diverted, assuming some other package was putting them in.
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 16 Jul 2017 17:48

Schoelje wrote:Now I test upgraded SolydX8 to SolydX9 without the rm lines in the script and it finished without an error. :D
Check. Same here.

The files still appear in the backdrops/xfce directory, but the divert file now disappears without error when adjustments-8 is removed.
Frank

eselma

Postby eselma » 16 Jul 2017 19:43

As I told you, I am quite busy these days. At the moment installing RC2 of SolydK, and of course things are much better. Here are my first impressions, no spreadsheet now.

- Installer was fine, Thunderbird at 52.0, all seemed well. HDD labelled as they should be. The updater shows 33 packages to update, bout there were nothing to update when installed.

- Still offered 'Africa/Ceuta) as the first option for 'Spanish' IPs, instead of mainland. Not biggie.

- The first part of the installer (after one did the choice of country.date/time, keyboard, but before to specify partitions, users, etc.) is still in English. Not sure if it was translated to translated to Catalan already. I can do it in Transifex, if needed. The 2nd part, when copying files to disk is OK.

- When installing, the time shown in the panel (right) is UTC, not local. Presume it has to be so.

- Repos choice (speed) works well here.

Once installed to disk:

- Network runs fine (Ralink & Realtek, easy ones) in live or installed.

- AMD/ATI card (integrated, A10) works perfectly, including effects.

- Grub still not localized (pure Debian does). Not biggie, neither.

- SolydXK System setting now works well, but shows only partially localized (in Catalan). The few translated strings miss the accented characters (à, è, ü...) asi if it did not recognized UTF-8.

- Edit: I see that 'splash' is on the start line of grub, but Plymouth was not installed. Presume it should be this way (Plymouth has issues often)

Tomorrow will continue testing. Sorry could not help before.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Jul 2017 21:16

I've released the ISOs: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6947

SolydXK needs you!

sdibaja

Postby sdibaja » 16 Jul 2017 21:39

awesome! thanks... commong down via torrent now
==
two questions
1. I don't find "software manager" in either RC1 or RC2... is that included in the final release?

2. I have two laptops slated to go out to my grandkids today, one has RC1 and the other RC2
do you advise a fresh install of either or both?

I am tired and lazy but I don't want the kids to be frustrated. ;)
Peter E

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Jul 2017 21:53

sdibaja wrote:awesome! thanks... commong down via torrent now
==
two questions
1. I don't find "software manager" in either RC1 or RC2... is that included in the final release?
In the announcement you can read that it has been discontinued and replaced by software from Debian's repository.
sdibaja wrote:2. I have two laptops slated to go out to my grandkids today, one has RC1 and the other RC2
do you advise a fresh install of either or both?

I am tired and lazy but I don't want the kids to be frustrated. ;)
No, that won't be necessary. Just update normally and you're ready to go.

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “News & Anouncements”