March's configuration changes

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

March's configuration changes

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 15 Mar 2019 15:52

For the past few days I've been updating some configuration packages.

I'm working on an updated image of SolydX RPi3 but found that Firefox ESR segfaults on arm64. This is a known bug and unfortunately hasn't got a high priority for Mozilla. So, I decided to replace Firefox ESR with Chromium on the SolydX RPi3 image. For that reason I created the chromium-solydxk-adjustments package which sets the same configuration (more or less) for Chromium as the firefox-solydxk-adjustments package does for Firefox and Firefox ESR. This package is now available in our repository but there are some issues I still have to resolve (Chromium eats a lot of memory and with extensions it's even unworkable) on the SolydX RPi3 image before I can release it.

In SolydK to improve the root actions integrated into Dolphin and make sure that applications the user starts with pkexec look the way you'd expect them to, I added the XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP to the pkexec command. For an existing user you may want to change the ~/.bashrc file and check that this line is present (check the bottom of the file):

Code: Select all

alias pkexec='pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=$XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP'
I have uploaded new nightlies with these changes: https://downloads.solydxk.com/nightly/
If you update your system, you won't need to download these but you might want to manually change your ~/.bashrc file as mentioned above.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

FuzzyJ

Re: March's configuration changes

Postby FuzzyJ » 22 Mar 2019 01:43

This configuration issue is a little out of my depth...

The recent SolydXK update of Firefox ESR is version 60.6.0. (solyxk - 1.0).

Just opening <viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7491> the observed CPU History is indicating erratic changes ranging from 0% up to 54% and the Memory and Swap History seems high at 1.7 GiB of 7.7 GiB.

These values increase dramatically when opening other websites such life stock quotes/reports etc..

Are these erratic/high readings related to the ~/.bashrc file and can/should be rectified as per original post?

ilu

Postby ilu » 22 Mar 2019 21:06

bashrc and these configuration changes have nothing to do with firefox performance.

FuzzyJ

Postby FuzzyJ » 23 Mar 2019 04:56

Thank you, for the comforting words.

The KSysGuard is included in my 'Automatically Started Applications' and is displayed on my monitor at all times.
I merely reported my observations which definitely changed the CPU readings after applying the updates.

My apologies if I gave the impression that the Firefox software may be culprit.

After several log-out/log-in operations the erratic CPU readings did not change nor did a number of system reboots.

However, before hitting the hay, I shut-down the system completely. Booting up the system the next morning the CPU reading went back to normal (ie. prior updates).

Concerning "If you update your system, you won't need to download these but you might want to manually change your ~/.bashrc file as mentioned above."

I do update the SolydK operating system as prompted by Discover Update. The context of the word "might" in the above advice expresses possibility and am unsure of the criteria used on whether or not the file should be changed.

ilu

Postby ilu » 23 Mar 2019 11:33

The change was about Dolphin, when used with "pkexec" - which is mainly used when an application needs elevated privileges. So you might see errors or missing stuff (no icons? I'm not on KDE) when using dolphin with root privileges and you should apply the change. So "might want to" = polite version of "should".

Firefox should never be started with root privileges. And most probably, whenever firefox is eating RAM or CPU time, firefox is the culprit - or more precisely, one of the websites open(ed) in it.

FuzzyJ

Postby FuzzyJ » 23 Mar 2019 22:07

Thank you for your instructive response.

Return to “News & Anouncements”