[SOLVED] Suggestions welcome - Raid 0 Debian Jessie-->SolydX

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
GNUday

[SOLVED] Suggestions welcome - Raid 0 Debian Jessie-->SolydX

Postby GNUday » 11 Apr 2014 19:25

EDIT: READ POSTS 3 AND 9 IN THIS THREAD FIRST, THEN GO TO THIS THREAD, SolydX successfully layered on top of a Debian Jessie fake/hardware Raid 0 install.

What I want to do is get SolydX running on my dual SSD Raid 0, the plan is, use a Debian testing net install, install the base command line (I am comfortable in the command line) and grub (Debian's grub and ram disk like my Intel controller fake Raid, I've ran both Wheezy and Jessie on it in the recent past), then edit the sources.list to SolydX, install SolydX files (I would greatly appreciate a file list suggestion and maybe the order they should be installed), then update grub.

First of all, is this even possible?! :?

If anybody has tried such a thing, I would appreciate tips or suggestions. :)

There is another computer here so I can still access the forum to read this thread mid attempt/install. :mrgreen:

The only other 'workaround' I can think of is create a small Raid volume to host CL Debian/grub, and put SolydX on the other volume (you are only allowed two volumes) and make SolydX the boot default in grub.
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions/tips welcome - Raid 0 Debian Jessie-->SolydX

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 11 Apr 2014 21:07

I only understood something with "list of packages"...

if you

Code: Select all

apt search solydx
You'll get a nice list already.
Start with solydx-info, and solydxk-system-adjustments, and work your way up.
Don't forget about
updatemanager
ddm
debian-plymouth-manager
lightdm-manager
sambashare
usermanager

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 12 Apr 2014 00:22

Schoelje wrote:I only understood something with "list of packages"...

if you

apt search solydx
You'll get a nice list already.
Start with solydx-info, and solydxk-system-adjustments, and work your way up.
Don't forget about
updatemanager
ddm
debian-plymouth-manager
lightdm-manager
sambashare
usermanager
Thanks for answering, I will try what you suggested, I am trying to pull a 'fast one', lol, to get SolydX on my fake Raid, your installer doesn't support fake Raid like Debian's does. :(

When you boot the Debian installer, you have to add "dmraid=true" (full instructions here) to the kernel options, then it 'sees' the fake Raid for install. You didn't include the dmraid package in your live ISOs. :(
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 12 Apr 2014 02:46

Edit: I found this in another thread and it helped:
zerozero wrote:

su 

echo "Acquire::Check-Valid-Until "false";" >> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/80updatemanager
Hi Schoelje, I got Debian testing (CL only) installed on the Raid 0, I edited sources.list from the Debian repos to the SolydX repos but I get a "GPG error, public key not available", also, I get a "release file has expired" error, is there a workaround for this, a command to ignore the GPG and release files :?: :?

Can I pull these files off of the live DVD and 'install' them in the temporary Debian?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 12 Apr 2014 06:16

GNUday wrote:When you boot the Debian installer, you have to add "dmraid=true" to the kernel options, then it 'sees' the fake Raid for install. You didn't include the dmraid package in your live ISOs. :(
Isn't the difference between Debian's installer and our live installer that the first is started ruing boot, and the second during a live session?

Do you suggest that I start the live session with

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet dmraid=true"
and wouldn't that affect other users?

Do you want me to include dmraid in the ISO, and would that solve the problem?

You understand that I'd need to be sure that no users will be affected by these changes.

SolydXK needs you!

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 12 Apr 2014 08:48

Schoelje wrote:
GNUday wrote:When you boot the Debian installer, you have to add "dmraid=true" to the kernel options, then it 'sees' the fake Raid for install. You didn't include the dmraid package in your live ISOs. :(
Isn't the difference between Debian's installer and our live installer that the first is started ruing boot, and the second during a live session?

Do you suggest that I start the live session with

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet dmraid=true"
and wouldn't that affect other users?

Do you want me to include dmraid in the ISO, and would that solve the problem?

You understand that I'd need to be sure that no users will be affected by these changes.
The dmraid parameter is optional and manually inserted by pressing Tab when in the Debian installer disk menu, that's a well known fact, but they do either include the dmraid package in larger ISOs or the net installer fetches it from a repo if it's required, unless some newbie magically found their way in to the boot parameters and purposely typed dmraid, it wouldn't do anything anyway, even if they have raid or not, if no 'bios drive' is detected, the installer just moves on, if they have raid, it's a long complicated process to get to the part where they might wipe their drive, they would most certainly back out of the install way before then. dmraid is NOT active by default, that is why you have to manually insert the parameter in the kernel options line, but if the package is not present at all or utilized by the installer properly, it's all for nothing anyway. I just naturally assumed your installer would work very similar to Debian's but I guess since you guys came from Mint...this is not a big deal or huge priority, I'm sure you have far better things to spend your time on than this, but I do appreciate what time and effort you have spent already. :D

Edit: That is why I was asking how to basically layer SolydX (from your repos) on top of bare bones CL Debian (installed with a DEBIAN net install disk), it would probably be much faster and easier than you trying to rewrite your installer for one person, what's really critical is the order of installing the SolydX packages, I had artwork and config breakages, not many but it was a show stopper, apt is very fussy, it wants you to fix or remove bad packages before you can move on, so I gave up, it was working to a degree but it was just too much work. I think I was using the wrong Debian disk anyway, there seems to be a lot of dependency issues between solydx xfce and jessie, I would have to try it again with a sid Debian installer disk, newer sid packages won't reject an xfce desktop install.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 12 Apr 2014 09:11

Well, I can always include the dmraid package, and you can then add the startup parameters you need in the boot menu.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 12 Apr 2014 14:01

I've created a SolydX64 iso (I was working on all isos today), with the dmraid package installed, and an extra boot menu entry for Raid users:
raid.png
raid.png (68.2 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
I'm uploading the iso now, but will have to go soon. When you see the md5sum file in the dev directory, the upload has finished (expected in about an hour), and you can download, and test the iso (if you want). I can't test it: no raid.

Download from here: http://downloads.solydxk.nl/dev

SolydXK needs you!

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 13 Apr 2014 02:31

Schoelje wrote:I've created a SolydX64 iso (I was working on all isos today), with the dmraid package installed, and an extra boot menu entry for Raid users:
raid.png
I'm uploading the iso now, but will have to go soon. When you see the md5sum file in the dev directory, the upload has finished (expected in about an hour), and you can download, and test the iso (if you want). I can't test it: no raid.

Download from here: http://downloads.solydxk.nl/dev
I only just logged in and found your response now, I will download and test it. I can't believe you went out of your way to do this, I tried to tell you I know you are very busy and not to worry about, I can't thank you enough, will post my test results here. :oops: :mrgreen:

Edit: Just so you know, I've encountered this bug (see line 12) but I've successfully worked my way around it, first by preparing the Raid bios 'disk' (an NTFS partition for Windows with a 3rd party bootable utility like Seagate's or Maxtor's, which gets overwritten by the Linux installer, I've found most Linux installers need a pre-existing disk structure to work with, I don't know exactly why but this 'fix' works) and then occasionally (it's not always needed) using the edit outlined in aforementioned Debian wiki, it would appear that most Linux distro disk preparing utilities (gparted?) cannot handle a 'raw' bios drive, hence the preparing. Just thought I would share those tid bits. :mrgreen:

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 13 Apr 2014 05:32

I have 3 pictures to show you what is going on in the dev ISO you pointed me too (I downloaded and burned it), the good news and the bad news...

The good news is, dmraid is working, sort of, you will see what I mean in the last picture, this is after I prepped the bios drive ready for install, it's 'seeing' the individual Raid members but not the complete bios drive in Disks and the installation dialogue...
DisksRaidMembersLiveSolydX-Dev.png
FreshPartionPrepNotRecognized.png
This is a screenshot of the same drive/partition unchaged taken in a live boot of an old Mint 13 LTS DVD, you will see that the bios drive is recognized, I am a former Mint and Kubuntu user, but because of moral and ethical differences with their base OS written by Canonical, I refuse to use Ubuntu based distros anymore.
Mint13DisksSamePreppedPartition.png
It has been my experience that if any distro 'sees' the bios drive in its installer or live session (file manager), I can get it installed. I am no expert but I would bet this is an fstab not being updated 'on the fly' (or dynamically) issue.

I do have one more suggestion, possibly create a Debian style net install CD/DVD (using their installer), the diffence being, yours would point to your repos OOTB, again, I know this is your UP period, this can wait, or after you are not busy, guide me (configuring the proper repos, GPG issues, the order of which packages should be installed, the rest I can do myself) through layering SolydX on top of an installed CL Debian Sid? :oops: :?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Apr 2014 07:43

I'm afraid I'll have to abandon this side-project.

I don't have the hardware to further develop this, and creating yet another ISO to maintain is out of the question. Since I started SolydXK, there's no such thing as "not being busy". I'll put it on my todo-list, but I'll mark it with low priority as there are but few people that will have a Raid system for which they want to install SolydXK.

The only way around this would be to find a developer with the right hardware, knowledge, and willingness.

As for the installation order of packages: I can't even remember that. More than a year ago I created these ISOs and since then I only updated them with the UPs, and like a good developer I never documented the actions I had to take to create them. I also never imagined it would get this big :oops:

SolydXK needs you!

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 13 Apr 2014 10:49

Schoelje wrote:I'm afraid I'll have to abandon this side-project.

I don't have the hardware to further develop this, and creating yet another ISO to maintain is out of the question. Since I started SolydXK, there's no such thing as "not being busy". I'll put it on my todo-list, but I'll mark it with low priority as there are but few people that will have a Raid system for which they want to install SolydXK.

The only way around this would be to find a developer with the right hardware, knowledge, and willingness.

As for the installation order of packages: I can't even remember that. More than a year ago I created these ISOs and since then I only updated them with the UPs, and like a good developer I never documented the actions I had to take to create them. I also never imagined it would get this big :oops:
No problem, I know you are very busy, I will bug the other people how to layer SolydX on top of Debian Jessie Xfce (which I just installed, it's on the Raid), I just have to figure out how to get your settings and branding, bling, etc, on top (so I can keep grub and the kernel) of this Debian install. :?

If anybody reads this and has any ideas how to do the above mentioned (that will actually work and not cause too much bork, lol), by all means, feel free to chime in! Even if a suggestion does fail, it's not a big deal, I'm a habitual OS installer anyway, lol, I back things up as they're created. :D

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”