Hover over Images

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
Redraw

Hover over Images

Postby Redraw » 13 Feb 2017 19:48

Hello
Um last week or so when searching for a particular image to use ( I use as reference for painting ) all I had to do was just hover over the files and a bigger image with details would show on screen this morning I go to do just that and the bigger image was not or would not or could not show up , i use this method I find it easier than say Gwenview or any other ,because I have the file just right there and don't have look for it in the folder .
If anyone can shed some light on this I would be most thankful .
I have not changed any setting on the desktop because it was performing very well after setting up the bits and pieces that I use .
Was It one of the updates Maybe ?
How can I get this function back on my desktop , it is most useful , Can Someone please help a frustrated novice artist .

bas_otten

Re: Hover over Images

Postby bas_otten » 22 Feb 2017 09:23

I'm not exactly sure about your context, but perhaps you are working with Dolphin in SoyldK and you accidently disabled the Information panel? You can toggle this panel on/off using F11. If not, please provide some more details.

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 27 Feb 2017 01:30

Thanks bas_otten
Thank you for the F11 tip that does help out and does do a similar thing to what I was getting , the information panel would be similar to what is showing up with F11 but instead of a panel down the side the info panel would be just next to the cursor with what was in F11 , I think I just said that twice , do not want to confuse you when you helping me out , think i just confused myself then , anyway
F11 does a similar thing so that helps out heaps , still it is curious as to where that floating panel went or why it disappeared , nevermind .

Redraw

Re: [ Solution Found ] Hover over Images

Postby Redraw » 27 Feb 2017 01:35

Does the job nicely

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 27 Feb 2017 07:37

Make sure you have mpayerthumbs installed and that you set the preview settings accordingly:

preview.png
preview.png (52.7 KiB) Viewed 418 times

I don't know why you need mpayerthumbs, but if I remove it, the preview disappears in my system :shock:

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 27 Feb 2017 07:49

What you are referring to is probably:
in Dolphin -> Settings (use Ctrl-M to show the menu first if necessary) -> Configure Dolphin -> General tile -> Behaviour tab -> check Show Tooltips.

Looks pretty good as well, although what I personally do not like about this is that it covers the file list itself plus surroundings, whereas the Information panel is a separate area.

You can choose yourself what you like best, Good luck!

Redraw

Re: [ Solved ]Hover over Images

Postby Redraw » 28 Feb 2017 15:45

Thank you for all the solutions and tips
Schoelje , I checked what my preferences setting was set at and it was same as your pix , I think that is the default innit ?
So thanks for that .
Didn't know if I had mpayerthumbs , Checked in software manager it had no idea what i was asking OK
and I still don't know but everything is working as it should so i leave alone.

bas_otten I have to thank you again , you suggestion of settings . . . Well I did check that and somehow the setting for show tooltips was unchecked , dunno how that happened I sure I had that box checked um . Since using F11 (who knew) I have that to be really good with a split screen , now i only use the one window fullscreen ( gimping reference photos if needed and renaming scans ) and i have a good size preview to work with that does not cover the file as mentioned by bas_otten , so cool .

I love My SolydK Desktop , rolling release what is there not to like ,
and so many customizable options , unbelievable and bewildering at times .
After a bit of Distro hopping I came back to SolydK and even a few weeks ago I knew I was staying .
So thank for all that .

Return to “Newbie Questions”