Apt's cli visual style?

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
koesherbacon

Apt's cli visual style?

Postby koesherbacon » 09 Jan 2018 08:46

I'm not certain how to ask this question so I'm providing two screenshots. Due to my inability to accurately put my question to words, I'm unable to find the answer to this via Google, SrackExchange, AskUbuntu or anywhere else.

What I'd like to know is how I can change SolydXK's apt visual style from the "Mint Style" (https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ght8rn8zyawt ... -Style.png) to the "Ubuntu Style" (https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxomyangf0piw ... -Style.png).

I would prefer using the list-style of Ubuntu over the table-style of Mint on my SolydXK Stretch OS.

Thanks a lot!
〜 Ev

ilu

Re: Apt's cli visual style?

Postby ilu » 09 Jan 2018 17:42

You can configure the colors your terminal uses in the terminals settings menu. But that's probably not what you wanted to do. But the terminal could still be the deciding factor, see which terminal Ubuntu uses and test it.

Apt configuration should be in /etc/apt/apt.conf or /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/. On SolydX I can't find anything that configures the output, so we are probably using standard output. General configuration of terminal output is in ~/.bashrc and in whatever file thats linked in there. I couldn't find anything that looked like the things you asked though. You could have a look at those locations on Ubuntu and see whether you can find anything different.

Surprisingly the search "configure terminal output format" didn't turn up anything really useful. The only internet source about formatting specifically apt output I could find was this one: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/392791/apt-configure-the-colors and as you can see there, they had to ask the developer on IRC. You could try that too :geek: He was not really interested though and the manpages don't mention anything about formatting output.

There seems to be no easy way. So if comparing terminal and apt conf files with Ubuntu doesn't bring up anything useful, you should be prepared to dig really deep. Since you are coming from Arch you might like that :lol:

koesherbacon

Postby koesherbacon » 10 Jan 2018 01:00

I do appreciate your reply, but I'm already proficient in changing terminal colors and bash/fish prompts, aliases, etc.

I know it's really difficult to write the correct question about this bc there are just too many keyword overlaps.

Thanks anyway!
〜 Ev

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 10 Jan 2018 03:25

I'm afraid it isn't just the color and style. it's a matter of the backend. IIRC we're using our own apt script which using aptitude as the backend.

Code: Select all

aptitude search audacity
i   audacity                        - fast, cross-platform audio editor         
p   audacity:i386                   - fast, cross-platform audio editor         
i A audacity-data                   - fast, cross-platform audio editor (data) 

meanwhile, ubuntu is using debian's native apt which has it's own backend.

apt search audacity
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
audacity/testing,now 2.2.1-1 amd64 [installed]
  fast, cross-platform audio editor

audacity-data/testing,testing,now 2.2.1-1 all [installed,automatic]
  fast, cross-platform audio editor (data)

debian-edu-doc-en/testing,testing 1.925~20171202 all
  English documentation from the Debian Edu project

debian-edu-doc-fr/testing,testing 1.925~20171202 all
  French documentation from the Debian Edu project

debian-edu-doc-nb/testing,testing 1.925~20171202 all
  Bokmål documentation from the Debian Edu project

debian-edu-doc-nl/testing,testing 1.925~20171202 all
  Dutch documentation from the Debian Edu project

debian-edu-doc-zh/testing,testing 1.925~20171202 all
  Chinese documentation from the Debian Edu project

forensics-extra-gui/testing,testing 1.12 all
  Forensics Environment - extra GUI components (metapackage)

silan/testing 0.3.3-1 amd64
  commandline tool to detect silence in audio-files

vamp-plugin-sdk/testing 2.7.1~repack0-1 amd64
  audio analysis and feature extraction plugins (SDK)
there's also another backend which called apt-cache

apt-cache search audacity
audacity - fast, cross-platform audio editor
audacity-data - fast, cross-platform audio editor (data)
debian-edu-doc-en - English documentation from the Debian Edu project
debian-edu-doc-fr - French documentation from the Debian Edu project
debian-edu-doc-nb - Bokmål documentation from the Debian Edu project
debian-edu-doc-nl - Dutch documentation from the Debian Edu project
debian-edu-doc-zh - Chinese documentation from the Debian Edu project
forensics-extra-gui - Forensics Environment - extra GUI components (metapackage)
silan - commandline tool to detect silence in audio-files
vamp-plugin-sdk - audio analysis and feature extraction plugins (SDK)

the solution would uninstall solydxk's apt and replace it with debian's native apt. unfortunately I forgot which package contain solydxk's apt script.

PS: I'm using solydx enthusiast edition. there's possibility that we have different apt.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 14 Jan 2018 20:16

The original apt as provided by the Debian package is still available on SolydXK installs as apt.divert. However, on my system (also EE) this does not produce the exact same kind of output as the Ubuntu version.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 16 Jan 2018 11:52

a possible explanation is that my system is a solydxk-ed debian install. I can't download solydxk iso due to the large size so I started with a debian net install

Return to “Newbie Questions”