Information about SolydXK

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
linuxpeer.org

Information about SolydXK

Postby linuxpeer.org » 18 Apr 2018 11:16

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a website that's a mix between distrowatch.com and linuxtracker.org.

Arjen have already helped me out a bit, with some of the information needed on the page for SolydXK.

I was hoping there would be some nice users here, who can help me get some screenshots of SolydXK. Preferably with both desktops, KDE and Xfce.

Also, does a list of releases exist?

It is also possible for an endorsed user to help keep the page up-to-date and upload torrents, if that's of any interest.

Please let me know if any of the information already on the page is wrong!

Thank you all, for your time.

ilu

Re: Information about SolydXK

Postby ilu » 18 Apr 2018 14:32

Welcome to our forums!

I had a look at your site and must admit, that even after allowing JS from cloudflare and jquery I've got problems to extract much information from it. Either there's something wrong with the layout or I'm just dense.

linuxpeer.png

linuxpeer.org

Postby linuxpeer.org » 18 Apr 2018 15:57

ilu wrote:
18 Apr 2018 14:32
Welcome to our forums!

I had a look at your site and must admit, that even after allowing JS from cloudflare and jquery I've got problems to extract much information from it. Either there's something wrong with the layout or I'm just dense.

linuxpeer.png
Hi uli and thanks for the reply.

Do you problems with CloudFlare and the jQuery?

Im not sure what you mean by extract? The info you see on the screenshot is the info I got on SolydXK. That is why I am here to get some help, so more info can be added. Screenshots, releases, reviews, etc. :)

ilu

Postby ilu » 18 Apr 2018 16:45

Ah well, it looked a bit confusing. The tag cloud is certainly helpful. But of course I mind CloudFlare and jQuery, all external sources actually, but especially googleapis.com. (Before you say anything, this site will be reorganized next month :D )

What contribution do you expect under torrents? Since I would want to provide users with more information I would like them to pass through our site before downloading an image. But this is just my personal opinion. Arjen might think differently.

Where do you get the popularity counter from? Imho popularity counter don't provide any useful information for a new user. Reviews are certainly a better source of information if they are good - but they rarely are.

linuxpeer.org

Postby linuxpeer.org » 18 Apr 2018 18:25

ilu wrote:
18 Apr 2018 16:45
Ah well, it looked a bit confusing. The tag cloud is certainly helpful. But of course I mind CloudFlare and jQuery, all external sources actually, but especially googleapis.com. (Before you say anything, this site will be reorganized next month :D )

What contribution do you expect under torrents? Since I would want to provide users with more information I would like them to pass through our site before downloading an image. But this is just my personal opinion. Arjen might think differently.

Where do you get the popularity counter from? Imho popularity counter don't provide any useful information for a new user. Reviews are certainly a better source of information if they are good - but they rarely are.
I totally understand your concern regarding external sources, and it is something I'm working on.

The idea behind the torrent-part of the site is multiple.
  • A way to help smaller distro's distribute their ISO's either directly through linuxpeer and/or use the tracker and link directly to the torrent on their homepage.
  • A way for people who would like to help seed distro's and easily identify which need help.
  • A library of older, but also discontinued ISO's.
  • Easy and fast way to find the ISO you are looking for.
There is nothing preventing you (need endorsed user first) from writing on the page that users should check out the website first, before they download anything.

The popularity is simply counting unique visitors per day. It's more of a "nice-to-have" thing, but it do provide some insight in how popular a distro is. Some might find that useful.

What other kind of information do you think could be available on the page?

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 18 Apr 2018 20:11

I have to say the site was not to my liking, not well laid out, option that I felt should of been available not available. Having said that I will offer a few suggestions to help make the site something I may use in the future. For the record I am using SolydX EE viewing via a Firefox Browser

1) I had none of the issues that Ilu had, page loaded ok and all the clickable items I clicked on opened as expected with the exception of one (see below)

2) On the main page when I entered the name of a distro (in this case SparkyLinux, I assume it is not yet in your database) into the search bar, it just went to an empty screen with just the background image, there was nothing else on the page, only option was to use the back arrow to get out of the page

3) When you are on a distribution page there need to be a gap between the heading and the icons(?) beneath them.

4) Personal point to me, when you click on a distribution and go to the info page you should be told if that distro is based on Stable or Testing (in a Debain based distro) .

5) Filtering, there should be a option to filter on base distro for instance, search for all distro based on Debian with the XFCE desktop environment.

Hope this help you to move the web site along

linuxpeer.org

Postby linuxpeer.org » 18 Apr 2018 21:10

xendistar wrote:
18 Apr 2018 20:11
I have to say the site was not to my liking, not well laid out, option that I felt should of been available not available. Having said that I will offer a few suggestions to help make the site something I may use in the future. For the record I am using SolydX EE viewing via a Firefox Browser

1) I had none of the issues that Ilu had, page loaded ok and all the clickable items I clicked on opened as expected with the exception of one (see below)

2) On the main page when I entered the name of a distro (in this case SparkyLinux, I assume it is not yet in your database) into the search bar, it just went to an empty screen with just the background image, there was nothing else on the page, only option was to use the back arrow to get out of the page

3) When you are on a distribution page there need to be a gap between the heading and the icons(?) beneath them.

4) Personal point to me, when you click on a distribution and go to the info page you should be told if that distro is based on Stable or Testing (in a Debain based distro) .

5) Filtering, there should be a option to filter on base distro for instance, search for all distro based on Debian with the XFCE desktop environment.

Hope this help you to move the web site along
Can you be more specific when you say "not well laid out"?

2. The search is a bit buggy at the moment. When you start typing, it should show you a list of distro's matching whatever have been typed so far.

3. Can you take a screenshot? That would help me a lot.

4. Good idea. That is simple to add.

5. Another good idea. I will add that asap.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 18 Apr 2018 21:19

Hi

In regards to 3 look at the image Ilu posted above, the word OS is sitting on top of the blue Linux box, look at the word Base, it is sat on top of the Pink Debian word. I feel there should be a gap between the word OS and the blue Linux box

Hope it helps

linuxpeer.org

Postby linuxpeer.org » 18 Apr 2018 21:33

xendistar wrote:
18 Apr 2018 21:19
Hi

In regards to 3 look at the image Ilu posted above, the word OS is sitting on top of the blue Linux box, look at the word Base, it is sat on top of the Pink Debian word. I feel there should be a gap between the word OS and the blue Linux box

Hope it helps
Ah okay, thanks. I get it now. I will fix that. Are you both using Firefox? The problem doesn't seem to appear for me in Firefox 59.

ilu

Postby ilu » 19 Apr 2018 15:11

Firefox ESR which is 52.x

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 19 Apr 2018 16:30

linuxpeer.org wrote:
18 Apr 2018 21:33

Ah okay, thanks. I get it now. I will fix that. Are you both using Firefox? The problem doesn't seem to appear for me in Firefox 59.
I am using Firefox 59.0.2

linuxpeer.org

Postby linuxpeer.org » 08 May 2018 12:36

Hi guys.

Can you check again if there still is issues with the text? It looks fine for me in Firefox, but maybe the font was blocked since it was coming from Google?

They are loaded internally now.

ilu

Postby ilu » 08 May 2018 14:36

linuxpeer.org wrote:
08 May 2018 12:36
Ah good decision. But it still looks the same :-(

linuxpeer.org

Postby linuxpeer.org » 08 May 2018 20:07

ilu wrote:
08 May 2018 14:36
linuxpeer.org wrote:
08 May 2018 12:36
Ah good decision. But it still looks the same :-(
That is weird. I have even changed the font. Maybe I'll have to install SolydXK to debug it further hehe :)

ilu

Postby ilu » 08 May 2018 20:58

I'm using uMatrix and uBlock original but their logs don't show anything. And no, installing SolydXK will not help in fixing this.

It's a css problem in core.css:

Code: Select all

video {
  border: 0;
  font-size: 100%;
  font: inherit;
  vertical-align: baseline;
  margin: 0;
  padding: 0; }

If I manually set margin to 1 it looks much better but what actually happens is a margin around maybe 10 or more. The inspector complains about all numbers I tried as being invalid. Console complains about more than 20 errors in core.css (mostly "unknown property - declaration ignored" but also a lot of invalid entries for "filter"). Something is wrong with your css.
Attachments
linuxpeer2.png
linuxpeer2.png (24.25 KiB) Viewed 2900 times

linuxpeer.org

Postby linuxpeer.org » 09 May 2018 06:59

ilu wrote:
08 May 2018 20:58
I'm using uMatrix and uBlock original but their logs don't show anything. And no, installing SolydXK will not help in fixing this.

It's a css problem in core.css:

Code: Select all

video {
  border: 0;
  font-size: 100%;
  font: inherit;
  vertical-align: baseline;
  margin: 0;
  padding: 0; }

If I manually set margin to 1 it looks much better but what actually happens is a margin around maybe 10 or more. The inspector complains about all numbers I tried as being invalid. Console complains about more than 20 errors in core.css (mostly "unknown property - declaration ignored" but also a lot of invalid entries for "filter"). Something is wrong with your css.
It does look a lot like you aren't loading the correct font, Open Sans. Also, I don't get any errors in the browser, except for "Blocked loading mixed active content", which is just because the font exists with different extensions.

What happens if you disable uMatrix and uBlock?

ilu

Postby ilu » 09 May 2018 16:29

linuxpeer.org wrote:
09 May 2018 06:59
What happens if you disable uMatrix and uBlock?
I already did that, no difference. If it was just me, I'd say it's my weird browser config. But since it's not just me ...

If you told me how I could save Firefox console error messages to a log file I would make them available for you. I don't know how. The errors mention the following properties/classes/values: user-select, -webkit-search-cancel-button, clip-path, background-image, display, box-orient, -moz-box-shadow, cursor and a lot of erroneous filter declarations.

You think that's due to a missing font? Hm. On Waterfox 56 things look marginally better:
Attachments
linuxpeer3.png

Return to “Newbie Questions”