Forum Standards Relating to Enquiries.

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
FuzzyJ

Forum Standards Relating to Enquiries.

Postby FuzzyJ » 27 Mar 2019 00:58

I recognize that this forum is comparatively anything but action-packed. The esteemed few & far between resident experts may be very busy with more 'important' issues than responding to perceived non-crucial (daft) questions.

I don't apologies for being old school and that my values & expectations concerning conduct of conversations are most probably don't equate to modern informal exchange of views.

Would an resident expert please take the time and advise the criteria for mitigating questions be ignored; This would be very helpful indeed, really!

I'm at my wits' end, may I please be rewarded with a (any) response in relation to my enquiry viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7497

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Forum Standards Relating to Enquiries.

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 27 Mar 2019 06:29

The "standard" is that you describe your technical problem as short as possible, including terminal output when needed and most importantly with non-English speakers in mind. See the "Forum Rules, Guidelines, and Policy" for further details.

If there is no answer to your question then people here do find your question hard to understand, or they simply don't have an answer.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 27 Mar 2019 21:46

Hi FuzzyJ or should I say Kayman?

I read this post and then looked at your outstanding post regarding the KDE notifacations (or lack of them), so having a spare couple of minutes I decided to try and help with your issue by searching Google. I was surprised to find a post on the KDE forum with pretty the same wording as your post which was posted on 24th and that has no replies either :shock:

Don't get me wrong I am not having ago at you, I will only post a reply to a question if I know the answer to the question, or I can provide some links to where you may find the answer or post a suggestion asking other if they believe that my suggested route is the way to go. I certainly won't post something just to make it look good and I am pretty sure that the same for other on here.

Reading your post I was going to suggest asking on the Debian or KDE forums. I don't think Arjen will mind me saying that the footfall on this forum is quite low but then again Arjen is the main developer. It is frustrating when you have an issue and you can not seem to get any help to resolve the issue.

As Arjen points out, your post is a little thin on information, have a read of the Guide lines he listed and see if there is anymore information you can add to your post which may help, the more information you can provide the better the chance it will help resolving your issue.

FuzzyJ

Postby FuzzyJ » 28 Mar 2019 04:08

xendistar wrote:
27 Mar 2019 21:46
Hi FuzzyJ or should I say Kayman?
Feel free to use either, Sherlock.
For heaven's sake, it's a frickin' nickname. How about Fuzzy J Kayman... Who cares and what is your point anyway?
xendistar wrote:
I read this post and then looked at your outstanding post regarding the KDE notifications (or lack of them),
No, you haven't read my post in its entirety. Since I edited this message as [SOLVED] it hardly can be interpreted as an outstanding post!
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=160003
And:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=7498&sid=9029e1943 ... 75951fc6b2
xendistar wrote:
so having a spare couple of minutes I decided to try and help with your issue by searching Google. I was surprised to find a post on the KDE forum with pretty the same wording as your post which was posted on 24th and that has no replies either :shock:
What is surprising about consulting the KDE forum requesting assistance for a matter ignored by the experts in this group?
Why is it objectionable using the same words for the same issue in different fora?
And why would one expect a reply from a question already solved?
xendistar wrote:
Don't get me wrong I am not having ago at you,
Nonsense - of course you do!
But your feeble attempt utilising Google to introduce some form of discreditability into all this is an old plotters trick (throwing mud hoping some of it will stick).
[/quote]
xendistar wrote:
I will only post a reply to a question if I know the answer to the question, or I can provide some links to where you may find the answer or post a suggestion asking other if they believe that my suggested route is the way to go. I certainly won't post something just to make it look good and I am pretty sure that the same for other on here.
I wouldn't expect anything else from an expert answerer in an moderated forum environment!
But since the forum rules boasting among other things civility one should (or is it 'might') reasonably expect reciprocation, ie. a polite enquiry deserves a response even if the reply isn't the answer the original poster was looking for.
Ignoring polite messages in an forum which is aiming for an illustrious reputation are unhelpful, stupefying and completely uncalled-for. Heck, even a well drafted 'canned' response would be more suitable than no answer!
xendistar wrote:
Reading your post I was going to suggest asking on the Debian or KDE forums.
Yeah, right!
xendistar wrote:
I don't think Arjen will mind me saying that the footfall on this forum is quite low
Really...
xendistar wrote:
but then again Arjen is the main developer.
Meaning exactly what?
xendistar wrote:
It is frustrating when you have an issue and you can not seem to get any help to resolve the issue.
You don't say... (even more so if no response whatsoever is provided in a not-so-busy forum)
xendistar wrote:
As Arjen points out, your post is a little thin on information, have a read of the Guide lines he listed and see if there is anymore information you can add to your post which may help, the more information you can provide the better the chance it will help resolving your issue.
Rubbish! The responder did not mention such concern.
I found a solution and marked this post accordingly.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=7498&sid=9029e1943 ... 75951fc6b2

FuzzyJ

Postby FuzzyJ » 28 Mar 2019 04:39

Arjen Balfoort wrote:
27 Mar 2019 06:29
The "standard" is that you describe your technical problem as short as possible, including terminal output when needed and most importantly with non-English speakers in mind. See the "Forum Rules, Guidelines, and Policy" for further details.
Crikey, am I glad complying with these criteria but am unsure of the obvious digression. The response reeks the presence of a Grammar Nazi, not cool!
And I am 'feeling you' for being a non-English person/speaker.
Arjen Balfoort wrote:
27 Mar 2019 06:29
If there is no answer to your question then people here do find your question hard to understand, or they simply don't have an answer.
Ah, instead of advising the poster regardless of his original question it is quite acceptable to abandon the poster, ignore the question and leaving the inquirer hung out to dry. A convenient arrangement for some of the forum moderators which (sadly) is supported by the founder but definitely an unsatisfactory way to move forward for the original poster, a most unfavourable condition especially for newcomers.

I wonder why some questions are addressed only after applying additional enquiries...
Oh, wait, as a founder of this wonderful distro you consider yourself as God - not cool, lose it and change your attitude!

Evidently, kurotsugi did not have any problems interpreting my post concerning " Networks panel - available Wi-Fi connections etc."

There's hope, all my queries are suddenly solved. But you most probably spit-the-dummy and impose your almighty power to ban me from this forum, amen.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 28 Mar 2019 07:43

Let me be clear on this: there is no possible way that any user of this forum is obliged to answer anybody's questions. If , for whatever reason, you think we owe you a response then this is not the place for you.

Now that you meet another forum user, who gives you a polite response, with sarcasm and passive aggressiveness, I will gladly exercise my prerogative and ban you from this forum.

I will leave your posts for others to understand that this is not the way we treat each other on this forum.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Return to “Newbie Questions”