GDEBI hangs in loading of items

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
yaloo1935

GDEBI hangs in loading of items

Postby yaloo1935 » 26 Aug 2013 14:46

[]I am attempting to install 4 drivers for MFC295CN using GDEBI, which has worked on dozens of other distro. However, after opening the file GDEBI starts and displays loading but it never finishes. Task master shows no activity for GDebi during this phase. Thanks for your help! have a screen shot but don't see where to attach it????

GeneC

Re: GDEBI hangs in loading of items

Postby GeneC » 26 Aug 2013 14:56

Try running gdebi from terminal to see any errors,

Code: Select all

gdebi <insert your file name here>
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

yaloo1935

Postby yaloo1935 » 26 Aug 2013 16:53

Thanks GeneC for the reply and hint which work great for two of the drivers. No errors were received and the printer worked fine when I exectued gdebi via term.. There are two drivers for the scanner which installed with out errors but I have to add a line to the 60-libsane.rules to make the scanner function. However, when I entered "sudo gedit" on the terminal this message occurred howie@laptop:~$ sudo gedit
[sudo] password for howie:
sh: 1: kde4-config: not found
sh: 1: kde4-config: not found
and I was not able to save the file because I did not have permission. I suspect thhe above error had something to do with that but I can not solve it!

GeneC

Postby GeneC » 26 Aug 2013 17:13

Well that is some progress... :)

Are you sure that the Debian drivers wont work out of the box for you Brother Multi?
I dont run KDE, so cant comment...

With SolydX, I simply opened "Printer Settings" choose ADD, and it did the rest for my Epson NX 510 Multi.. (Print and scan both work).

GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

yaloo1935

Postby yaloo1935 » 26 Aug 2013 20:10

I did not attempt the adding a printer as you suggested because for the last three years of trying various distros they never have my Brother multi in their list so I always just download the drivers from Brother's website and use GDebi which always works until now. I now have the printer/scanner working thanks to your suggestion of using the terminal, which I had never done before. It went smoothly once I spelled Desktop correctly ( I was not doing cap. D for longer than I care to admit before I realized the error)

So off I go using SolydX (you mentioned KDE which I am not using as I am using XFCE).

Have you used Linux Mint 15, if so how did it compare to SolydXK?

Thanks bunch!

GeneC

Postby GeneC » 20 Aug 2017 00:10

Glad you got it sorted, though Debian does update its drivers. The latest drivers just might have worked for you.

Mint 15. No. I have an old installation of LMDE, though. I stopped using Ubuntu based distros, mostly because or their 6 month release cycle. I always thought that was kind of nuts. Way too short a release time. With Debian based distros like SolydXK no worries. It just keeps updating.... 8-)
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

ilu

Postby ilu » 20 Aug 2017 01:02

When using a graphical app from terminal never use sudo but always gksudo, otherwise permissions can be off. sudo is for terminal apps, so "sudo nano" would have been right. The correct command for gedit would have been: "gksudo gedit"

huh, GeneC, we are digging up a really old thread ... the August can fool you. Let it rest in peace.

Return to “Newbie Questions”