Should I use checkinstall when installing from source?

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
HugoBruno

Should I use checkinstall when installing from source?

Postby HugoBruno » 27 Aug 2013 23:20

I have found internet recommendations to install checkinstall and run sudo checkinstall Package, rather than just sudo install

Is this good advice if and when installing from source into Solyd XFCE?

timber

Re: Should I use checkinstall when installing from source?

Postby timber » 28 Aug 2013 00:51

Hi HugoBruno,

Sorry I don't really have the answer (I've never used checkinstall) but it usually doesn't take long for someone to come along with an answer.
What are you installing? Can you be more specific?

According to the following link, there may be better options than checkinstall (maybe as a last resort only).
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=228570

Welcome to SolydXK forum.
timber

Samsung R580-M430 @ 2.27GHz - 8 GB RAM
Geforce 310M w/ nvidia-driver
SolydX/SolydM - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydK - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydKBE - Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 - LTS Update Pack: 2014.07.15

HugoBruno

Postby HugoBruno » 28 Aug 2013 12:00

Thank you, will check the link

Just a newbie learning question. No intention to recompile an OS. Merely wondering what if I really needed the latest version of a trusted application and, say, that version would be available at the website of the trusted application but not yet in Deb, perhaps not even in Deb Sid.

I was learning about ./configure, make, make install when I also found about the checkinstall option. Just curious about checkinstall. Plus, if I may add, even if the installation works OK, could anything go wrong on the next monthly SolydX update?.

Zill

Postby Zill » 28 Aug 2013 14:06

HugoBruno wrote:...Merely wondering what if I really needed the latest version of a trusted application and, say, that version would be available at the website of the trusted application but not yet in Deb, perhaps not even in Deb Sid...
The key word here is "need"! IMHO, very few users actually need an application newer than that available in the official repositories. SolydXK, in particular, ensures that the repo versions are both relatively up-to-date and reasonably stable.
HugoBruno wrote:...I was learning about ./configure, make, make install when I also found about the checkinstall option. Just curious about checkinstall. Plus, if I may add, even if the installation works OK, could anything go wrong on the next monthly SolydX update?.
SolydXK (as with most linux distributions) uses a package management system (based on repositories) to ensure that all the different applications work well together. If you bypass this system then you lose this inherent robustness. As such, if you install from source (using checkinstall or not!) then you are basically flying solo and, yes, things will almost certainly go wrong with the next SolydXK update pack!

rdr

Postby rdr » 29 Aug 2013 09:33

HugoBruno wrote:Thank you, will check the link

Just a newbie learning question. No intention to recompile an OS. Merely wondering what if I really needed the latest version of a trusted application and, say, that version would be available at the website of the trusted application but not yet in Deb, perhaps not even in Deb Sid.

I was learning about ./configure, make, make install when I also found about the checkinstall option. Just curious about checkinstall. Plus, if I may add, even if the installation works OK, could anything go wrong on the next monthly SolydX update?.

Your best bet would be to create a deb package from the program from the source code, that might be your best option in such a situation. Here's a guide for doing it (it's for Ubuntu but it should work the same) http://www.webupd8.org/2010/01/how-to-c ... ebian.html

Return to “Newbie Questions”